Twin Peaks Recap The Return Part 3 Episode

Twin Peaks Recap: Much Ado About Hurling — Plus: Is [Spoiler] Truly Back?

Need to catch up? Check out the previous Twin Peaks recap here.

If you ever watched Twin Peaks‘ original run and thought, “Man, what this show really needs is an extended, highly disgusting vomit sequence,” then this week’s episode of the revival is your bile-soaked gift from the universe.

In just a moment, I’ll explain (in as little detail as possible) exactly what I mean. For now, suffice to say that regurgitation plays a big role in bringing Special Agent Dale Cooper back into our world, although whether he’s fully here — in body, mind and spirit — remains to be seen.

Read on for the highlights of “The Return: Part 3.”*

*For those who are confused: Showtime released Parts 3 and 4 via its app immediately following the revival’s premiere on Sunday. These episodes will air back to back at 9/8c this Sunday. TVLine will post a recap of Part 4 later this week.

RED WOMEN TELL NO TALES | Good Cooper continues falling through a starry void, eventually landing on what looks like a balcony overlooking a wide, dark sea. He enters the building that’s attached to the balcony and encounters a woman in read velvet whose eyes are sewn shut. Or melted shut. Or something like that. Long story short: She can’t see. Much of the motion in these scenes is stop-motion-y, Boomerang-esque; eventually she grabs his hands, traces his face and frantically gestures for him to be quiet when someone or something starts knocking on the door

He notices a rectangle on the wall behind them; the spot looks like an electrical outlet and a small vault had a baby. The number 15 is displayed prominently on (what I’ll call) the vault, and when Cooper approaches, some kind of force pushes him away. As the knocking intensifies, the woman has Coop follow her up a ladder and through a hatch until they’re standing on top of a small black box with a mound on top that looks like the cover to a baby bottle. Did I mention that they’re back in the starry expanse Coop fell through before? She pulls a lever on the box, acts like she’s getting electrocuted, then is yanked away by some unseen force and falls until she disappears. A giant head floats by, says “Blue Rose,” then disappears.

When Coop returns inside, another woman in red — this one with normal eyes — is sitting on a couch in front of a fire. “When you get there, you will already be there,” she backward-speaks to him. “You’d better hurry. My mother’s coming.” He notices that the number on the vault has turned to three… and it’s 2:53 on both the woman’s watch and — when we flash away — on the dashboard clock as Evil Cooper drives.

Good Cooper leans into the forcefield, which seems to vaporize him as it draws him through the vault’s slots. Pretty soon, he disappears completely (except for his shoes).

WILL THE REAL DALE COOPER PLEASE STAND UP? | Meanwhile, in the car, Evil Cooper starts seeing visions of the Red Room, clamping a hand on his mouth like he’s going to be sick and weaving all over the road until he winds up hitting a shoulder at high speed and completely flipping the car. There’s a strange, static-y sound hissing from the car’s cigarette lighter — it’s the same sound that was coming from the vault, and it’s the same sound that’s emanating from a wall socket at a suburban home where a man named Dougie (who looks like a doughier, badly bewigged version of Cooper) has just had a tryst with a hooker named Jade.

While Jade showers, Dougie puts on his sportscoat and jade signet ring, then grips his belly and falls to the ground. He crawls to the living room of the vacant home they’ve used for the occasion, then proceeds to puke violently. All of a sudden, a giant BOOM sounds, and Dougie is yanked right outta that universe and plopped down in the Black Lodge. The One-Armed Man tells him, “Someone manufactured you for a purpose, but I think now that’s been fulfilled.” Then he basically shrinks into nothingness until he turns into black smoke and a golden orb. The One-Armed Man covers his eyes.

THE END OF BOB? | I wish I’d covered my eyes when we cut back to Evil Cooper, who barfs up what looks like a mixture of creamed corn and the blackness of his soul, then keels over in the car. Cops who eventually arrive on the scene grab their eyes and faces like they’ve been gassed. And back at that empty house in the suburbs, black smoke billows from the electrical outlet until Good Cooper is lying there on the ground, sans shoes. He’s back! (I think!)

The hooker insists on calling Coop “Dougie” even though she notes that he’s got new clothes, a new build and a new haircut. But she’s weirded out by the fact that he seems to be in a daze, so she drops him at a nearby casino and gives him $5 to call for help. (Side note: Judging from the sniper waiting for him to leave the house, seems like “Dougie” is on someone’s hit list.)

At the casino, Dale shuffles around until he sees a shimmering apparition of the Red Room over various slot machines. Whenever he plays those one-armed bandits, he wins. He’s racked up $28,400 but he doesn’t care. WHY IS NO ONE HELPING THIS CLEARLY ADDLED MAN? At least his Great Northern hotel key is still in his pocket, so there’s hope there.

At an FBI office, an agent named Tammy briefs Deputy Director Gordon Cole and Agent Albert Rosenfield (aw, hi guys!) on the deaths of Bland Guy and Tracy from the season premiere. (Bottom line: All those cameras in the room didn’t really catch anything.) Then Cole gets a call about Cooper and excitedly announces that the three of them are “headed to the Black Hills of South Dakota!”

BACK AT HOME… | Back in Twin Peaks, Hawk is sure that his heritage will help him solve Cooper’s disappearance. And that’s a very good thing, because Andy and Lucy are even less of a brain trust now than they were a few decades ago. (Side note: I loved the “Donut Disturb” sign, though.) Out in the woods, Dr. Jacoby has rigged up an apparatus specifically to help him spray-paint those shovels gold. Meanwhile, a band called The Cactus Blossoms play The Bang Bang Bar, and I am enough of a sucker to watch their entire performance, thinking we’ll get some dramatic action on the other side of it. But all we get is the credits.

Your turn. Got thoughts on the episode? Sound off in the comments!

1. Tom says:

The “giant head” is Garland Briggs.

• Tom says:

And The woman in red is actress Phoebe Augustine who played Ronette Pulansky in the original series. There she’s credited as “american girl” but I suspect is still Ronette.

• Jo Garret says:

I feel like it would have been significant to mention that Dougie lost all feeling in his arm, the arm that he wore the ring on, the same ring that Teresa Banks wore, and also caused her arm to go dead.

2. I really don’t get it and I don’t think we’ll get answers to the whole falling thing. The Lodge is one thing but now this vast expanse with a purple ship and satellite thing. Who is mother? Someone touched the brown in the 60s.

What I do think we’ll get answers to is, why 25 years? Why couldn’t Dale leave before? What is the plan of the Lodge spirits, when did they become Team Dale? The giant always seemed on side, Mike was kind of reformed? The arm seemed malevolent to me, that is why Mike cut it off. Now we find out it too has a doppleganger and can be decent? Who pulled ‘Laura’ away? Who is in control? What is the plan? How can Dale ‘find Laura’? Didn’t Laura get saved by an angel? Is that represented in her glowing face? That she is now of the White Lodge?

3. Judson says:

This was a total mess. If the original show was anything like this why would anyone want to bring it back? Don’t waste your time.

• gumbo says:

so why bother watch this if you didn’t watch the original? and why anyone would want to bring it back? because it was good and successfull

• pdfortune says:

Gumbo you may be up too early in the morning. Judson was pondering if the original was like the current show it wouldn’t have come back. So far I think it is painfully slow at times. I don’t know if David Lynch has been weirder. Perhaps Eraserhead was more strange.

4. Ken says:

4 episodes in and they have barely spent any time in the actual town of Twin Peaks. Very strange way to structure the show about the town and then barely show it or its citizens. And would it have killed David Lynch and Mark Frost to give a little structure and continuity from the season two finale and give a little explanation as to where everyone is before going down this rabbit hole. We will never get any answers to all of this new bizarre stuff. I wish we got a season three back in 1991-1992 season on ABC (because I know this is not what they would have intended for all of the characters and storylines.)

• pdfortune says:

It seems like the place Twin Peaks has little to do with the show Twin Peaks after 4 episodes. The few scenes in Twin Peaks seem useless so far. Episode 4 started to feel a little like the original series. I feel like the old Twin Peaks characters are just cameos, and have little to do with the new series. I’m invested but hope to get some of the odd charm of the original

5. Aaron says:

ACTUALLY… the front-facing camera caught the… uh, whatever that blurry demon thing was.

6. John says:

I really don’t like what they’ve done with Lucy and Andy. They’ve gone from being quirky to borderline mentally challenged.

7. Chris says:

Who is dougie? I don’t understand! Is he cooper or is dougie someone completely different? I watched episodes 1 2 and 3 last night I’m trying to make sense of it.

• Paul Penna says:

My thinking is that Evil Cooper knew he was going to get pulled back into the Black Lodge when Good Cooper exited, so to avoid this fate he (somehow) created a third (fake) Cooper to get pulled back into the Black Lodge instead of him.

So, Dougie’s purpose was just to serve as a loophole for Evil Cooper not to end up in the Black Lodge. His purpose fulfilled, he collapses in on himself when he gets there.

As for Dougie’s life, well, my guess would be that after Evil Cooper created him, he just let him go on his way, He didn’t really care what happened to him, so Dougie just went on to have a thoroughly average life.

You really have to adjust your thinking to understand what’s going on, and even then, we won’t get a lot of answers until much later in the series.

• Chris says:

That’s a very good point! I mean all we can do is speculate for now. But that answered my question about Dougie. Not to mention the one armed man said that he was manufactured for reason.

8. Dougie was the name of the mayor’s brother in the original series, who died on his wedding night to a young woman with a hypnotic power over men. (Season 2.)

And when the Laura Palmer case was solved, and Agent Cooper thought he was about to leave town, as he said his (premature) goodbyes to everyone at the sheriff’s department, he told Deputy Hawk, “If I am ever lost, I hope you are the one they will send to find me.”

• Keith Bernhard says:

Dougie (mayor’s brother) plays a significant role in Frost’s book.

• Chris says:

I don’t understand the whole Dougie thing. We see Dougie and Cooper basically cancel each other out. Cooper replaces Dougie. The evil Cooper is basically Bob manifested right? Someone help me out.

9. Shelly says:

The big head that floated in space and said “Bloe Rose” to Cooper was Major Briggs.

10. Chris says:

My biggest question I want to see answered is why do the lodges exist and what purpose do they serve. I’m loving the series so far!

11. Flinkman says:

if all you have to say is “a giant head floats by” without recognizing that it’s a major character from the old series; one with massive ties to Coop, the Black Lodge, the town of Twin Peaks, and the government’s investigation of the paranormal…I’m not sure you’re the best person to be doing these recaps lol.

• Michael Meyer says:

I have to agree.

• Paul Penna says:

I also agree. I mean, it really isn’t the fault of the reviewer. Most shows, you can jump into an episode and expect to know what’s going on. That isn’t Twin Peaks.

The only way that you have a hope in hell of understanding what’s going on is to watch Season One, then Season Two (yes, even the less than interesting episodes), then Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, followed at last by Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me – The Missing Pieces.

Twin Peaks is a highly complex piece of surrealist television. And this is Season Three, even if we’ve gotten it twenty-five years late.

If you want to get up to speed, go pick up Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery on Blu-ray. It’s really the only way you’re going to be able to appreciate and enjoy (although, maybe enjoy isn’t the right word) this series.

If you’re not going to do that, well, then sadly this show isn’t for you.

• quentincollins says:

My thoughts exactly!!! Although I wasn’t laughing…. Poser fans are just so adorable…

• Chris says:

The floating head was Major Briggs. Now in this place where we saw Major Briggs, is it a different dimension or is it Black Lodge? And Major Briggs went to the white lodge in the original series. So did Major Briggs get trapped in the black lodge?

• Agreed. Besides he says Blue Rose. A blue rose is in the room when Cooper gets back in and a blue rose was a hint Gordon gave to the new agent in Fire Walk with me, before he dissappeared when investigating Teresa Banks’ murder.

Btw, no mention to the call in the episode where Philip is mentioned either. Someone never watched Fire Walk with me either.

12. James Moon says:

Ep 3 was the death of Twin Peaks. Sad to see the show end up like this – total self-indulgent nonsense. Sure, many fans will stick with the show but I’m sure David Lynch is smiling and thinking “those suckers will watch any nonsense I write and direct!”

• I don’t quite agree, the first part of this episode was like a dream and if you interprete it in the classical Jungian way it makes a lot of sense. Besides dreams played a big role in the original series so I do see a continuity. It might be odd for some, but certainly not nonsense.