Chicago Justice Renewed Cancelled

Chicago Justice Cancelled at NBC

The verdict is in: NBC has cancelled Chicago Justice, the latest addition to producer Dick Wolf’s #OneChicago franchise, after just one season, our sister site Deadline reports.

The legal offshoot was not on the network’s list of Chicago renewals earlier this month, which included pickups for Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D. and Chicago Med. Next season, P.D. will hit its milestone 100th episode, while Fire and Med are headed into their sixth and third season, respectively.

Justice — which aired its final episode on May 14 — starred Philip Winchester, Carl Weathers, Jon Seda, Joelle Carter and Monica Barbaro. There’s no word yet if Seda will return to P.D. in the wake of the spinoff’s cancellation.

Are you disappointed to see Justice leave #OneChicago?

1. fernando933 says:

Bad decision the show was doing decent enough

• Sally McLinn says:

@fernando – I agree. I like Shades of Blue, keeps me on the edge of my seat and thought Chicago Justice was a good lead-in to that show.

• Nobie davlin says:

Like Shades of Blue first year but it got too dark with Ray Liotta’s character so quit watching.

• Jennifer says:

Really liked justice

• Tammy R says:

You’re right the show was doing real good I liked the show I think the show brought all together you saw the fire side of it then P.D side the med side it then you got to see the legal side of it so keeps it all intering please bring it back k

2. Jamie says:

Sad for the fans, but I’m not surprised – it was pretty weak compared to the other Chicago shows. Hopefully Antonio is headed back to PD.

3. Nora says:

Why… Is a great addition to the Chicago series very bad decision…

4. Diane Miller says:

Sorry it was cancelled. Liked the show and the actors. Decent stories. Give it another chance.

5. Rachel says:

I watched all the episodes but could never relate to many of the characters, maybe if we knew more about them it would’ve been easier. Here’s hoping Seda returns to PD, miss him on that show.

• thecookiegueen says:

I can relate to ur comments we never got to see anything of their personal lives except Antonio. This truly would have endeared them to us, not just at work.

• ameraleigh says:

My thoughts too, there was no connection to the characters, the only one we really knew anything about was Antonio so he was the only one who came across as a 3 dimensional character. They also lacked the cast chemistry that the other shows have.

• Alyson says:

Also agreeing with this comment. The cases were interesting enough, but I couldn’t connect with any of the characters like I could with the other Chicagos,

6. thecookiegueen says:

This is so wrong. I love this show, what is wrong with the powers that be? These are freshman dramas and give them some time to build ur audience. I’m really not joking if one more of my shows gets canceled I’m cancelling my cable TV and moving to Netflix. I’m so tired of this.

• PatriciaLee says:

You are right! This is so wrong! Jean Stapleton said in an interview that All in the Family had low ratings its first season of 13 episodes. I don’t understand the powers-that-be not letting shows build momentum, either. The husband and I enjoyed watching the show, together. It had charm and created a fun viewing experience.

• Dysturbed says:

In the days of All In The Family, there were only a few networks, so if someone didn’t watch a specific show, they only had a few other options at that specific time, which increased the chances of a show growing over time if given a chance. These days, with hundreds of channels and other options of viewing things, giving things time is rarely an option because once something starts poorly, it usually continues as such.

With that said, I did enjoy this show,

• Sally McLinn says:

Could it be that it cost too much? I’m surprised that dramas are still breathing on net work TV. Look at the entourage and cast that has to be paid.

7. Megan says:

Loved this show sad to see it go. Maybe they will bring it back like Timeless

8. Jimmy says:

Surprised but not devastated. Good show but not highly invested since it was a short run. Liked the characters especially Monica. She can be my lawyer anytime.

9. Billy meacham says:

Man first the player now Chicago justice. Philip Winchester can’t catch a break since strike back ended on Cinemax.

• PatriciaLee says:

I loved Winchester in The Player, and the husband sat on the edge of his couch watching every martial arts move by Wesley Snipes. So, we were both on board with Chicago Justice and enjoyed the series. This is such a bummer, but I’ll keep an eye out to where Winchester goes, next. He’s cool.

• M says:

I think they should reunite Winchester with his fellow Strike Back pal on Blindspot.

• Marie58 says:

I was just saying this today! I find it hard to believe that there’s no room for him on Blindspot. He could don his Brit accent and be a special UK operative assigned to help with a series of overseas clues. Or something! :)

• Billy meacham says:

Since the way Winchesters luck has been, they would cancel blindspot.

10. Kris says:

Oh no! I really liked this show! What will they replace it with, another realty show?

11. MareCadTITNC says:

A very bad decision. Chicago Justice did NOT get a chance!!!

• Stela says:

One season is a chance enough these days. Some don’t even get through half a season… And in comparison to the other Chicago shows, this one is a very weak shot. Had to go.

• Devin Davineaux says:

Justice outperformed both Shades of Blue and Taken, and they got renewed. And how good can ratings be on a Sunday with a new show. on network TV? It’s definitely not going to compare with the other Chicago shows on their weeknight slots. Just look at the episode that aired on Mother’s Day. The ratings weren’t low because of a bad show. People are taking their mothers out to dinner and other enjoyable things. If the show had been placed on a weeknight, the ratings would have been on par with its sister shows. For once, we had a Chicago show where we weren’t worrying about who was in a relationship with so and so. It was about the cases. And had it been given a second season to grow it’s wings, the characters and their personal lives would have been fleshed out. Like going in-depth with Nagel fighting for custody of her kid, or Stone finding peace with his dad.

• Daphni jo says:

I agree with you! Not fair at all!

12. Elaine says:

I loved the show and as what is typical, it was not given a chance to find its audience. Networks are too quick to cancel a show. There are many shows that would have never become classics based on the cancellation decisions of today.

• Susan says:

I second that, Elaine!! It seems like the networks use to give shows more of a chance but not anymore. They replace so many GOOD shows with junk! I’m very disappointed by this decision. Very Bad Decision!!

13. kmw says:

Now we know the reach of JLO that Shades gets renewed fractional and Justice was doing at least two to three tenths better. Sorry for fans of Justice bad decision NBC. Just bad

14. Gloria says:

I thought it was an awesome show

15. Too bad because I really liked it. I think it would of done a lot better if they did lots of crossovers like the other 3 do. I think they only had 1 character from Chicago PD, Kevin Atwater, on an episode & he was the defendant. They also made a huge casting mistake by having Antonio Dawson leaving PD & joining the DA’s office. Anybody else from Intelligence would of been better. I will miss seeing Carl Weather’s every week. Maybe now he will pop back up on USA Network’s Colony.

16. Mike Radtka says:

This Show Is Awesome. Don’t Cancel it!!!!!!!

17. Derek says:

I think they missed the mark on casting. Fire was such a hit because they had all these incredibly attractive and sexy people, making it a bit of a Grey’s Anatomy in a fire department (funnily enough, Grey’s Anatomy is generating a spin-off that is exactly that).

I’m not saying this cast isn’t good-looking, but they just look like your regular procedural, without that sexy vibe.

• Louis E. says:

Did you see Monica Barbaro on UnREAL?

• Mollilyoos says:

Law and order didn’t have sexy people and that show lasted 20 YEARS. Take your “the cast has to look like supermodels” crap and shove it.

• Fabrizia says:

Speak for yourself Law & Order had sexy Jerry Orbach and S. Epatha Merkerson in bikinis

• DryHeat says:

Nope, you’re wrong. Benjamin Bratt and Angie Harmon are both damn sexy people! Jesse L Martin, Elisabeth Rohm and Carrie Lowell, too.

• Derek says:

Well, Chicago Fire is going onto it sixth season. This lasted one.

You are right. This was just a Law & Order rip-off without anything new. Grey’s Anatomy was like, “let’s rip-off ER, but sex it up a notch”. Chicago Fire took the third watch template and similarly spiced it up. I’m sorry, but Chicago Justice missed the mark on seasoning.

18. JohnnyW says:

It was not a bad show, but it had nothing in common with the Chicago franachise; it was more like a “Law&Order:Chicago”.
    I hope Wolf doesn’t leave Seda unemployed and take him back to PD (even if it makes no sense XD)

• mary says:

And what exactly did it need to do to be like the others? The Chicago shows are like all DW shows to a tee-just instead of lawyers/cops, it’s firemen, detectives, & doctors. The only difference was they had two distinct sections of L&O(most of the time).

19. Sandra says:

I am so mad that they cancelled Chicago Justice. It getting really good. I love how the characters were developing. Hopefully Antonio will head back to Chicago PD.

20. cuius says:

Making room for Chicago FBI?

• Lena says:

Perfect spin off for sophia, frees her up from working with jesse (which isn’t obviously not going well if the writers needed such a terrible reason to break them up) and they keep sophia on rosta for crossovers!

(I realise you were probably half joking but I wouldn’t put it past them!)

21. Lyndy says:

Oh well…there’s too many Chicago shows as it is now anyway.

22. Very disappointed! Watched every episode! Good show! Deserves another season /chance!

23. Carlos says:

SO DISAPPOINTING! This show wasn’t like the other shows, it was smarter! Sure I wish we got to learn more abiout the characters but it was only 12 episodes! NBC this was a really stupid choice! Why keep Timeless, Taken, and Shades of Blue and kill this one? Stupid.

24. Lou Orr says:

I am disappointed. It had all sorts of possibilities but it wasn’t on long enough for viewers to get attached. LOVED the finale!!

25. TV Gord says:

That’s too bad, because they had some excellent storylines (the soldier who was killed for writing a book about his experiences was my favorite)! However, this felt more like a Law and Order show than a Chicago franchise, and I could never find empathy for any characters on the L&O shows, so I will won’t feel as great a loss over this one.

I think it’s time for them to branch out into sitcom territory. Maybe Chicago Shrink could be next. Dr. Hartley treats stress among the fire, police and medical personnel in Chicago, while he manages his home life with his wife, Emily, neighbor, who is a befuddled flight navigator at O’Hare, and his wacky colleagues at a downtown Chicago office building. He also secretly treats a patient after hours. Chicago Mayor Elliott Carlin.

• Cobra says:

Chicago News
      Meet the people who write the stories that these people live.
      Also, maybe we can finally learn who sent Gary Hobson that paper for all those years

26. donholley77 says:

I had high hopes 4 my hometown Chicago Justice, but it played too much like L&O “lite”. My guess is many of the underdeveloped characters from’Justice’ will pop up on the other’Chicago’ shows.

27. Mollilyoos says:

I bet if little miss sophia bush was on justice, they wouldn’t cancel it. Bastards.

• Cobra says:

I wanted Justice to be renewed, but the fact is, among the franchise, it was the weak link. Very little character development. They didn’t develop one story arc during the season.
      You may not like Lindsay, but her character is developed and multidimensional and has been since the beginning.

• Patricia says:

You’re probably right about that.

28. Harry says:

When that generic The Brave flops after 3 episodes and the out of whack Reverie makes its mid-season DOA, NBC will live to regret this decision.

29. ChicagoDan says:

The fact that neither CF and CPD haven’t sold in syndication is a big reason for this decision. The market has dried up as other shows like Scorpion, MS and Gotham haven’t sold either. I still think CJ would’ve been saved if it was placed under Wolf’s L&O brand.

• G. says:

The reasone CF and CPD haven’t sold is beacuse they’re serialized. Chicago Justice was close ended procedural so they don’t have to air them in order. Justice was the only one of the four that had a chance at selling in syndication. This was a really stupid decision by NBC.

30. Mary Kelly says:

Chicago PD should have been canceled! Horrid show…Chicago Justice was good…but when you have so many by Wolf….just wished they had canceled the PD one

31. The mac says:

Bummer. I liked the series and felt that I had finally gotten Law & Order: Chicago.

32. vvgrandma says:

I am so disappointed at the cancellation of Chicago Justice. Every time I get interested in a show, I find out it is not coming back. I enjoyed Pure Genius and Conviction also, but they too were cancelled. Thank goodness we still have Netflix and Amazon Prime!

33. Jacquie says:

It was a decent show. Give it another chance.

34. Jacquie says:

It was a decent show. Give it another chance.

35. Cody says:

Surprised but not suprised. Justice was good but unfortunately it pulled in way lower numbers than Med, PD and Fire at least we chihards Still have Chicago Fire season 6, Chicago PD season 5 and Chicago Med season 3 to look forward to

36. Cosmin says:

Nooo. That’s so sad, they renew shades of blue, the blacklist and blindspot, but justice no? :(bad decision

37. Fido says:

The show was not one I’d ever buy the box set so I could rewatch, but just like Bull and Chicago PD and Prison Break and Arrow, it had a permanent place on my to-watch list and one I enjoyed viewing each week. :(

38. RP says:

I thought it was a really good show. They didn’t really give it a go. Definitely needed a bit more story on the characters. Sorry it’s gone

39. Adrienne says:

Very disappointed to hear that they didn’t give it another season.

40. Anna says:

One of my favorites ,love all Chicago’s series,
    Give it another chance

41. T.W.S.S. says:

I really want to see Antonio and Nagel again. But I don’t see how Antonio can return to work under Voight.

42. Kenny says:

Maybe I’m just going through the stages of grief, but could they have sent this one to USA Network, like Criminal Intent? Anyways, I’ll mis this show.

43. dsrbroadway says:

I was surprised by how they rolled this out. I feel like at times they were putting on 2 or 3 new episodes a week, sometimes at different times. How do they expect folks to catch on to it if they rushed it out?

• Devin Davineaux says:

It’s because NBC decided to put this on a Sunday, and the show that was in its place wouldn’t finish until the end of February. Justice started late as a result, and the only way to get all the episodes in before the end of may was to truncate the opening 4 episodes into a two week period.

The show should have been placed on a weekday, as a lead in to another Chicago show. And even with it’s Sunday placement, Justice still outperformed the likes of Shades of Blue and Taken, which were renewed.

44. Judy Niemyer says:

I enjoyed the show. It was a break from everything else. I’m disappointed!

45. patricia green says:

I loved Chicago Justice. Do not cancel!!!

46. Amici says:

The show is a good one only on a bad day and time. Why not Friday or Sat where there is nothing to watch. Sick of all the reality crap you slice and dice the wrong shows why not ask the viewers what they want.

• KL says:

Scripted shows on Saturday may be the next untapped area, but no major networks are willing to take the risk just yet. Internationally produced Ransom (cheap) and burn-off Training Day don’t count. Though if either one of those shows succeeded, maybe the doors would have been open a crack.

• reactertest says:

“Why don’t you ask the viewers what they want?” They do – indirectly. The advertisers are the source of viewership. If the advertisers don’t get enough response, the assumption is there are not many people watching.

47. ZinniQ says:

Not surprised, it was very, very weak. The acting was not bad, but the storylines were extremely tame. It barely held my attention.

48. stan s says:

I think yjis is a good show, the whole Chicago is good. I like the way they mix the players from one show to the next. They should cancel some of those shows like survivor

49. cherres2t says:

who makes these choices. really that was a good show..

50. Carla Moore says:

So sad Chicago Justice wasn’t renewed. I will miss Chicago Justice.