Exclusive
Roseanne Revival Dan Alive

Roseanne Revival: Dan's Fate Revealed (We'll Give You One Guess)

This is the kind of revisionist history we can get behind.

Sources confirm that Roseanne‘s forthcoming eight-episode revival on ABC will, as many suspected, undo the series-ending death of John Goodman’s Dan. “Dan is very much alive,” a source tells TVLine. “They’re going to pretend like it never even happened.”

The “it” in question refers to the series-finale twist that revealed much of the show to be a figment of the title character’s imagination — including Dan’s survival from a heart attack in Season 8 (turns out, it was fatal). In the closing moments of the finale we also learned that Jackie was actually a lesbian and that all along Darlene had been in a relationship with Mark (versus Johnny Galecki’s David, who — in another curveball — ended up with Becky). An insider says it’s probably safe to assume that pretty much “everything that went down” in the series finale will be ignored when the revival launches in Spring 2018.

News of Dan’s survival comes as little surprise considering Goodman’s name was attached to the revival from the get-go. He also made an appearance at ABC’s upfront event on Tuesday alongside leading lady Roseanne Barr and co-stars Laurie Metcalf, Michael Fishman and Lecy Goranson.

An ABC rep declined to comment for this story.

1. Brian says:

I like Dan, so i’m ok with this.

2. Van says:

What about mark?

3. K`shandra says:

They will get eighty-seven bazillion bonus points if the new series opens with Roseanne walking in to find Dan in the shower. No other commentary necessary.

4. Lucy says:

Wait, so I assume that they’ll either have Becky remarried/widowed/divorced because Gleen Quinn died. Also, does that mean that Dan still cheated on Roseanne?

• iHeart says:

or maybe they can reveal another twist that said that Mark actually died instead of Dan.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I could go for that.

• Andrea says:

Me too. I think that’s a good idea. Becky could be in such grief over Mark’s death that it could be explained that Roseanne projected what it might have been like to lose Dan. I’m just glad TPTB are retconning Dan’s death so it did not happen.

5. Cmarie says:

This was one of the best series finales ever in my opinion. I loved the show and though I will give it a shot, I wish they would have left well enough alone. :(

• Angela says:

No offense but if you think that slap in the face to the long time fans was good, then there are truly no word at all

6. Moria says:

I still say make one long Halloween episode and Dan can be a ghost.

7. suzi says:

“An insider says it’s probably safe to assume that pretty much “everything that went down” in the series finale will be ignored when the revival launches in Spring 2018.” That’s a good thing. I believe the finale was one of the worst ever ever, a slap to the face of the show’s fans.

8. M says:

I’m assuming they won’t have won the lottery either? Unless they somehow spent all of it in the intervening years and are broke again. That could be funny

• J.B. says:

It was also mentioned in the series finale that they never won the lottery as well.

• dlraetz says:

It were me they’d make all of season 9 Roseanne’s attempt to write a book at retcon back toDan getting out of the hospital alive

9. laurelnev says:

MAN…and here I was looking SO FORWARD to them combining 2 of today’s hottest soon-to-get-tired fads: Zombies and Nostalgic Reboots. And if ANY show could pull off having a Zombie Dad, Roseanne certainly could. So disappointed they’re just going to retcon, and won’t have Reanimated Dan instead of just a regular, boring, cardiac survivor.
    :D

10. I feel like most people misunderstood the ending. Dan didn’t actually die. Just like Jackie wasn’t a lesbian, etc…The ending introduced new characters. The show we’d been watching was the “story” being told by the “real” characters (the Roseanne we saw in the final episode is a writer who had written the entire sitcom which was “similar” to her own life). It’s a story within a story. A fictional version of Roseanne from the sitcom is a writer telling a fictionalized version of her life. So, I can assume that we will continue to see the story being told where Dan is alive as still told from the fictional Roseanne. They don’t have to undo anything. I actually liked the ending!

• Laura says:

oh my god somebody actually gets it.

• ToyCannon says:

Exactly. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Heather says:

According to Roseanne in the finale Dan actually did die and after his death is when she started writing a book of her life to cope with it. In the book she changed things to how she wished her life had went and that’s the show everyone had been watching. So what they lead everyone to believe with the finale is the show had been based on her book and that in “real life” Jackie was in fact lesbian and not Bev, Mark was with Darlene and Becky was with David, Dan in fact died from his heart attack and they never really won the lottery. It was all a big plot twist that now they have to either explain away or act like it never happened.

11. readenreply says:

Most lottery winners blow through the money, expect it would be the same for the Conners.

Ro pitched an earlier revival in which Mark died in Iraq, Dan and DJ have a business together, Darlene has come out as lesbian… and damn I can’t find the link to fill in for the other major characters.

12. Yolanda says:

Good. I love that revived shows ignore what happened during their crappy finales. Will and Grace is doing the same. They’ll pretend Will and Grace not speaking for 20 years didn’t happen. I really like it because I consider both Roseanne and W&G finales to be the worst things ever.

13. Jason says:

They might as well pretend the entire final season didn’t exist, since it was a complete mess.

14. Adam says:

Was there’s time stamp on the ending of the original series? It was just the last few minutes that revealed the fate of the characters. Why doesn’t the revival just place itself before that moment? Have the revival lead up to the time where Roseanne decides to write her story.

15. Eric says:

I wonder if Estelle Parsons will show up. I liked her as Bev early in the series before she became a cartoon character.

16. Tomm Huntre says:

Would be nice if Johnny Galecki could make a deal with CBS to at least make an appearance.

• Betsy Levin says:

That would be interesting, considering that Roseanne fired Chuck Lorre from her show and despises him…although Laurie Metcalf is appearing on the revival. IT depends on the terms of Galecki’s contract.

• Lynn says:

I would hope so because considering the fact that Laurie Metcalf is also doing another CBS show about young Sheldon…

17. davidztaylor says:

If anyone can get away with it- It’s Roseanne. All they have to do is make some throw away line about a bad dream or even just break the 4th way and it’s good to go. I’m way excited about this! This show when it was good, it was very good and when it was bad —–ohhhwee, it was bad but all is forgiven- that last season was a fever induced dream. I hope all the secondary characters make appearances too.

18. blech says:

Can’t wait to miss it

19. DatsMr4man2u says:

I would like to see the show start off with the scene from the last episode where Roseanne is sitting on ths couch right at the point where she says that she lost Dan after the heart attack and right there immediately switch to present day where Dan is reading unpublished rough draft and ask Roseanne “you killed me off”? Right there everyone cheers and all is back to normal.

20. GraceM says:

I’d like to know how they’re going to explain Mark not being on the show. The actor died some years ago. Also Johnny Gelski is busy with Big Bang, on another network.

21. lrdslvrhnd says:

Let’s go a step further and ignore the entire final season.

22. Evan says:

They will absolutely find a way to have Galecki cameo on Roseanne. It’s only 8 episodes. His schedule will have a gap to film sonething

23. jbj says:

I think 2000 me would be shocked at what I am about to write…but it’s too bad they won’t be bringing Sarah Chalke back as Becky. She really came into her own comedically after Roseanne, and I think she would serve the material better now than someone who has been basically retired from sitcom acting for two decades. I wonder if she was even invited backed or simply declined. Back then, I wasn’t fond of the character or either actress. But Sarah has been brilliant in the last three shows I’ve seen her in, even with dramatic elements, so it would have been terrific to see her show off her talents opposite John, Laurie and Roseanne and completely dismantle the earlier controversy and subsequent casting stunt.

24. Donald says:

They still have to address the real life death of Glenn Quinn.

• Lynn says:

motorcycle accident maybe… after either 1. their baby was born or 2. she lost the baby.

I don’t know, I like, as sad as it is… the idea that Becky ended up having a miscarriage or something happened to the baby and Mark was so distraught that he stormed off and ended up crashing his bike.

25. Nicole says:

I thought that all of that was at the end of the book she was writing at the kitchen table.

26. Payton says:

We watched the “last one ” last night when she said Dan died my brother cryed but I told him this and he was happy

27. Anthony says:

Any word if Gilecki will make an appearance?

28. Joe oneill says:

The storylines were always fresh and had a twist to give fans a bit of the unexpected.one of my favorite things oh the show would be a 5 minute little stretch after the show ended that gave a bonus and delight to the fans.

29. Ryan says:

Best way to fix it: Dan wakes up after heart surgery after Darlene’s wedding and survived, but the last season with the lottery and finale with him dying was all his near-death dream. Then montage 20 years forward. OR after his heart surgery is goes into a coma for 20 years (still dreams the last season and finale) and the reboot starts when he comes out of his coma.

30. Putting in Tain says:

I always loved the Roseanne show especially the Halloween shows I never really cared for then they should let him stay dead and when it comes to the actor that played Mark Healy it’s a shame that he died the way he did and I don’t think it was his fault they’ve been killing a lot of actors and actresses in Hollywood it’s The Illuminati’s that’s doing it do you research

31. Idi says:

I can’t wait for the Halloween episode. Dan can be a zombie.

32. Grolsch Schevazz says:

Too much literary license playing games with viewers’ mindsets. Why not just portray this: Bob Hartley and wife awaken and she suggests no more Japanese food before bedtime, Bob. And, don’t leave the television running, cuz J. R. Ewing’s people might want to re-write his demise. Tripe is tripe. Dream sequences (even if the cast tries to ignore reality) only smoke up and mirror scripts. Cheap-jack melodrama and sleazy yocks play out better than an Roseanne reboot.

33. Michelle Millington says:

When I first watch when Dan died I cryed that was so sad.i really thought he really died.and also is Roseanne did she die also or is it just like Dan .it’s just they wrote them both off.i was told at the end of one of the show to night it said rest in peace Roseanne

34. stan says:

Do people know that both John and Rosanne look like crap?

35. Gaian says:

I read on Facebook that the new show will try to outdo the original’s reputation as “edgy” and “pushing the limits”, with some deliberately offensive material like an episode where the Roseanne character will defecate on an American flag. Is this true?

36. Roseanne fan says:

I feel like from season 7 on a lot of the episodes seemed like they just couldn’t think of a good topic to create a humorous episode. I am a huge fan but I love the early seasons more because they seemed more realistic and seemed more like real small town people with real life problems. By the end of the series it got sloppy not sticking to stories or even the characters personalities, (dan would have never cheated on Roseanne in the early seasons). That’s why I feel it was so great a struggling pitty mouth far from perfect family that still loved each other til the death!