Fall TV Preview
The CW Fall Schedule 2017

The CW Fall Schedule: Arrow, Riverdale, Jane on Move, Originals, iZombie MIA

The CW is the final Big 5 broadcaster to unveil its 2017-18 schedule, and here’s the major headline: the network is moving roughly half of its established shows to new time slots this fall.

Arrow is shifting from Wednesday to Thursday-at-9 following Supernatural; rookie hit Riverdale is jumping from Thursday to Wednesday-at-8, where it will lead into the new Dynasty reboot; and Jane the Virgin is being banished to Friday, where it will be reunited with onetime Monday companion Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which shifts from 9 pm to 8 pm.

Meanwhile, new military drama Valor has scored the post-Supergirl slot on Mondays.

On tap for midseason: Returning series iZombie, The 100 and The Originals, as well as new entries BLACK LIGHTNING and LIFE SENTENCE. (WATCH TRAILERS)

All told, the The CW’s fall schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details. (And for handy reference, here are ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC‘s fall lineups.)

MONDAY
8 pm Supergirl
9 pm VALOR (WATCH TRAILER)

TUESDAY
8 pm The Flash
9 pm DC’s Legends of Tomorrow

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Riverdale (new time slot)
9 pm DYNASTY (WATCH TRAILER)

THURSDAY
8 pm Supernatural
9 pm Arrow (new time slot)

FRIDAY
8 pm Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (new time slot)
9 pm Jane the Virgin (new time slot)

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: The Vampire Diaries, Reign, No Tomorrow and Frequency

1. Yoko says:

Riverdale and Supernatural…..other than that newp!

2. Sarah says:

Arrow what?!

3. Chris says:

“Rookie hit Riverdale” good one Michael! LOL

4. C.R says:

Why are they moving Jane to Fridays?!!! 😡

• kort says:

To live. On other days Jane The Virgin would be toast. On Fridays it has a chance to survive.

• dude says:

I think it probably has more to do with the fact that Jane has a small established fanbase that they know is unlikely to grow so they might as well program it on their least competitive night with their other critically beloved but underrated show.

• Gilded Lady says:

Because CBS forces them to renew ir so might as well minimize the damage it causes.

• Rachel Maurer says:

exactly … it doesn’t make a whole lotta difference for me — i’m old for the channel’s demo and record regardless but friday is always considered one step closer to the grave and I thought Jane was a successful show for the network? Regardless, I’ll continue watching both Jane and Crazy Ex.

• dude says:

It’s successful critically and gave the network its first major award but it’s not successful in the ratings, even behind one of their biggest hits (Supergirl) so I think they probably want to free up that timeslot for a new show that could benefit from that lead-in. Look on the bright side, at least it’s not being held for midseason. Plus, Crazy Ex was moved to Friday last year and it was still renewed so there’s no reason Jane can’t continue for a few more years.

• Pumpkin says:

The ratings have also fallen this back half of the season.

• H.H. says:

Crazy-Ex probably has more to do with Jane’s move than anything else. When possible networks like to schedule similar shows together because if you liked the show in previous hour you’re more likely to stick around for the next one if has a similar vibe and they’re both melodramas with female leads. Moreover it’s been sitting behind Supergirl, so they probably want to pair that with a newer show that has a little more action.

Crazy-Ex has only managed to avoid the ax BECAUSE it is on Friday. Shows that land on Fridays on any network get graded on a curve on every network because Fridays are a night where more people might go out rather than stay in and watch TV. Supernatural was on Fridays some years back and it’s coming back for season 13 and it was pretty safe there because their fans are willing to follow them anywhere on the schedule. As long as there’s a comfortably sized fan base willing to make the move to Fridays the extra leeway Friday shows get in their numbers could make it safer rather than a create a cause for concern.

5. Lola says:

Why would Riverdale lead off anything as if it’s a hit? Dynasty is Toast. Mind boggling CW. And I’m so used to my Arrow Wednesdays. That’ll take some adjusting.

• Riverdale’s finale was only a tenth off Supergirl this week in the demo. The CWs whole slate is in the ratings toilet.

I think Dynasty is toast regardless

• Casey says:

With the CW’s portfolio of shows being so superhero and action heavy, I think they’ve realized none of those shows are a good companion for Dynasty. (Which sounds terrible anyway.) But in light of that, I think they’re trying to pair Dynasty with a show that seems more compatible in nature, i.e. more soapy. So that would either be Jane or Riverdale. Riverdale is newer and they’ve clearly shown they want to keep hyping that show. Jane is more established and not really going to grow in audience. Plus I think Jane is such a positive soap, it’s not compatible with what’s obviously going to be a scheming soap. It’s a big change like you say to air Arrow on a different night after five years, but they have to clear a night for their soap combo, and Arrow’s ratings have slid so much + are comparable to SPN’s that the CW probably thinks they’ll do well together as a stable night.

• JenJ says:

I also am not interested in a reboot of Dynasty. I just don’t see the purpose. By the time the original went off the air, I had long since stopped watching it because it became unwatchable. Who cares about the Carringtons and whoever else they decide to bring in?

6. Lysh says:

Moving Arrow a day away from the other DCTV shows is gonna be weird for the four-way crossover. This year was kinda perfect with one per day. Weird move. I can’t imagine ratings will be good against TGIT either.

7. Rachel says:

Listen I like riverdale but I don’t like them moving arrow.

8. Ally says:

I don’t like it one bit. When the aforementioned DC Cross Over happens there will be a big gap (an entire day) between the first 3 and Arrow. Why mess with a good thing, Mons, Tues & Wed should have stayed as is.

Why not put Dynasty (probably wont watch) with supernatural (don’t watch that either) or Dynasty with Jane (similar soap opera vibe)

9. Steve C says:

I’m surprised CW is saving Black Lighting for midseason, thought it will air in the Fall. They should have kept Arrow on Wednesdays. I thought Dynasty would likely have gotten the Monday or Thursday slot. I hope moving Jane the Virgin to Fridays doesn’t mean the end of the show. When are they ever going to end Supernatural? I’m surprised this show has stayed this long.

• Jason says:

Supernatural will go on as long as the actors continue to enjoy it and the ratings hold. It still takes in a huge audience for CW and I know it’s been mentioned they would like to hit 300 episodes which would take into Season 14. Pretty much CE isn’t going to end it until the actors are done.

• dean says:

Only SVU will outlast it. Nothing else.

• JenJ says:

“Only SVU will outlast it. Nothing else.”
        That’s so true! And something I never would have thought about a few years ago since I used to be on pins and needles everytime renewal time came up for Supernatural. I love me some Winchesters, and don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t get to see them every week anymore. Thank you CW, for keeping this little gem of a show around for so long.

• geegee says:

Indeed… SPN is one of the rare shows that always makes me smile when I am about to watch it, even if it is (was) full of angst :)

10. Hugo says:

I’m… not sure Valor will be a good match with Supergirl. I’m looking forward to Valor (mainly due to Matt Barr) but I hope this scheduling doesn’t sink it.

Jane on Fridays :/ I hope that doesn’t mean it’s a final season, though that’s likely.

• Pumpkin says:

I say this as someone who has been a fan of Jane: I hope that they do imagine a final season soon. I think this season has shown that there are a lot of repetitive story lines and they need to work toward their ending.

• ekolint48 says:

I agree. And I believe at their FYC Emmy event that it was mentioned by the showrunner or cast that a planned ending would be the case sooner than late.

11. Polly says:

i think that Arrow will get back to its time slot fast as soon as dynasty bombs and riverdale will get pushed down.

• Yep. The only think I like, is to see Arrow in a 9PM post… It means they’re planning to go darker. And I love Arrow when it’s darker! Besides… Truth is, the other three superhero shows are way too light to be a companion of Arrow, it will have a great pairing with SPN, but if they make Riverdale darker, as they seem to want… It might pair well with Arrow as well.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It does not mean they’re “planning to go darker.” (Darker than the Oliver torture episode?) Strictly a scheduling move.

12. TV Gord says:

I don;t think the Friday=graveyard adage applies to The CW. There are only so many time slots. Everything that has one is worthy, imo. It matters not to me that Riverdale moves to Wednesday. I watch it on Netflix on Fridays anyway. (In fact, in this PVR world, I rarely watch anything in its regular time slot anymore).

• Bwine says:

So true!! Fridays is no longer considered the place where shows go to die. Most networks program for Fridays, and some of those shows stay on the air for years i.e. Hawaii 5O, Bluebloods, Grimm, heck even Supernatural aired on Fridays years ago, and it’s still alive and kicking.

• JenJ says:

ITA. The Friday night curse doesn’t apply to the CW because they only have shows for 2 hours a night, Monday thru Friday anyway, and often put good series on Fridays. Now, if it were on another network, and they changed the time to a Sunday (since networks don’t seem to recognize there is a Saturday), then there might be something to worry about, although, even that doesn’t really apply anymore since there are some series which the networks have had on Sundays, and they have good enough ratings to stay on the air for several years.

13. Donna says:

Friday nights are generally referred to as the “Kiss of Death” night for a TV show! I think the CW is really off as to what people want to watch and I predict Dynasty will go away as fast as the Dallas reboot did.

14. Mack says:

Like others have said, moving Arrow makes no sense giving the crossover event that they’ll be doing in the Fall again.

• LilAngel says:

maybe they should stop with the cross-overs? or viewers could just binge watch the cross-over episodes after they all air? Just saying…

15. Why move Arrow to Thursdays?? Ugh. That gap is going to be bad news for the crossover shows next season.

16. Olivia says:

Is Legends of Tomorrow still a midseason?

17. WS says:

Mon-El was called Valor in the comics for awhile… i wonder if the CW is trolling the supergirl fans by putting the shows together.

• JR says:

That’s the first thing I thought when I say VALOR there too. “They are giving Mon-EL his own show?!?” Although that actually sounds better than the description they have of the real VALOR show…the world doesn’t really need more generic military-based shows.

18. Sharon says:

I don’t like that they moved arrow! I still think the Dynasty reboot will fail.

19. Lizzie says:

Wow. Arrow has always been on Wednesdays! I can’t believe they moved it. Ratings are gonna drop even more going up against This is Us!

20. Cosmin says:

Didn’t see this coming, arrow and riverdale swich. Crazy at 8 and jane at 9.. woow no black lightning and life sentence

21. Cosmin says:

Doesn’t seem good for arrow against this is us :(

22. Chris says:

Jane the Virgin lost me when they killed off Michael. Can’t say I’m sorry it’s moving to Fridays. Bye Jane Bye!!

23. Maya says:

RIvERDALE!!! Can’t wait!

24. Cosmin says:

I hope legends gets a full season, and izombke in modseason to be slot on friday

25. Jason says:

I’m glad they’re moving Arrow. Means I can dvr Goldbergs again.

26. mrmcgee says:

Thursdays at 9 are getting jammed.

27. KLS says:

Arrow is going to tank. Th@9: Scandal vs This is Us vs NFL vs Arrow.

28. kmw says:

No really surprises here especially with Jane and Crazy-ex Girlfriend’s move to Friday. If you are into the military you have a choice every night of the week or practically. Talk about overkill on that subject. But I am a little surprised they left Black Lightning to mid season

29. Gloria Hernon says:

Where the hell is The Originals?!

30. Why did they think riverdale can lead a night plus they have 22 episodes

31. eric7740 says:

Way to kill Arrow against Scandal and This Is Us!!!! Dumb move CW!!!

32. Billy Bob Johnson says:

When is CBS going to throw in the towel with The CW and just shut it down? They have to be losing money, unless they’re using it as a tax write-off.

• CBS makes money on CW in syndication,merchandise,international sales,Netfkux deal for a billion dollars a year or over five years ect.Its not all about ad rates anymore even for the BiG Four.

• Jared says:

The CW just renewed a HUGE deal with Netflix.

• LilAngel says:

CW shows are doing really well internationnally, also on streaming platforms. And most of them have good social media following.

• JenJ says:

Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean that you know what you’re talking about. The CW wouldn’t be around if it wasn’t making money for CBS or anyone else. No one is forcing you to watch the network, so go off to your troll city, Billy Boob.

33. Joey Padron says:

Surprised that Arrow will be moving to Thursday nights, hope they do well on their new night. Glad Supergirl, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow will be staying on their regular nights. I thought Black Lightning would premiere this fall, I guess they’re gonna save the show to have it on Tuesday nights next year once Legends of Tomorrow finished airing their 3rd season which will be 16 or 17 episodes long. Hope The CW will post the trailer for the show online today.

34. Butch says:

Moving Arrow to 9:PM seems to be in response to its falling ratings. Sad as it has been really good this season. I don’t think a one day delay in the crossover is so terrible. The crossover ended on Thursday this season when Legends aired on Thursday. You will get a two hour block of the crossover on Tuesday next season since both the Flash and Legends air on Tuesday. Think of it as getting early access to the Wednesday part of the crossover. I do like getting an Arrowverse episode Monday to Thursday at 8PM and have missed that since they moved Legends.

• Butch says:

Or you can DVR Legends and watch it on Wednesday. Then you can watch one episode a day as you did this season.

35. Riana says:

People don’t realize that cw handles ratings differently than other networks. Social media buzz and online viewing is important to them. No tomorrow and frequency were popular in neither category. It also explains why the originals got renewed despite low ratings

36. Dj says:

Moving Arrow does seem odd at first, but when you look at how the CW paired the shows it makes sense. The demo they are aiming for will likely tune into the next show. Mr. Ausiello do you know how many episodes Legends is getting next season.

37. Wrstlgirl says:

Now we need the completed calendar which I have no doubt you are diligently working on :-)

38. Jared says:

Not a bad schedule at all. I had a feeling JtV and Arrow would be on the move.

39. Keeping Supernatural at 8pm means they continue to use the show as it’s “utility player”. It does reasonably well in any timeslot. It lost a point in the demo and some fans at the earlier hour but smashed whatever was there at 8pm before. It SHOULD be a 9pm show based on content, but they probably want to shore up Arrow.

And I can see them pushing Arrow to Thursday to try and ‘extend’ the DC week a bit. Plus they REALLY want Riverdale to be a success.

40. LT says:

This schedule does make sense….I’m OK with it.

41. T.W.S.S. says:

It will be interesting to see if Arrow loses viewers going up against This Is Us. If the viewership overlaps? And if those people even watch live TV?

42. Gerald says:

I like Supernatural and Arrow together, but Arrow against This is Us will be tough, maybe not the same demo but I love both shows. At least This is Us is not a full season, so maybe it will get a bump after it finishes it’s run.

43. GraceM says:

I was hoping Supergirl would either be on later or another day. Mondays at eight are Murdoch Mysteries for Canada.

44. mia says:

i wish legends was midseason….i feel it woyld balance the dc on the cw

45. Wiz says:

I don’t like Supernatural at 8pm. It’s always been at 9pm. That’s like my night show. To have it one hour early is unnatural. And they’ve paired Arrow and Supernatural before. Why couldn’t they just switch the times?

• geegee says:

Because Arrow had been slipping and SPN is steady, so SPN is the clearer choice to anchor the heavily contested night

46. I am so overjoyed that The Originals will be returning. This is one of my favorite shows.

47. Kari says:

I don’t know how I feel about Riverdale being on Wednesday nights but I am glad it got renewed. Thank goodness Supernatural will still be on Thursdays That the highlight of my week.

48. John036 says:

I still don’t see why they must spread out the superhero shows. Pair Supergirl and Flash on Tuesdays, Arrow and LoT/Black Lightning on another. Last year, going from a superhero show to a telenovela satire was just jarring in my opinion.
    I’m happy about Riverdale returning! Hopefully Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa can take a page from Veronica Mars and have a season long mystery last 22 episodes.

49. Pamela Baker says:

The only thing I watched was Frequency and with that gone there is nothing left.

50. I love Subway says:

Looks like I’ll be watching everything except Valor this fall. I don’t have time for that.