Fall TV Preview

Watch CW Trailers for the Dynasty Remake, Life Sentence and More

The CW on Thursday unveiled its fall 2017 schedule and offered first looks at its new shows, including a reimagining of the classic primetime soap Dynasty, as well as highly anticipated midseason entry Black Lightning.

Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (Gossip Girl and The O.C.) serve as executive producers on Dynasty 2.0, alongside Sallie Patrick (Revenge), Brad Silberling (Jane the Virgin) and original series creators Esther and Richard Shapiro. The cast includes Grant Show (Melrose Place), Elizabeth Gillies (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll) and Nathalie Kelley (The Vampire Diaries), among others.

Additionally, the network also released previews for military drama Valor, fronted by Hellcats alum Matt Barr, and midseason entry Life Sentence, from Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence and starring Pretty Little Liars‘ Lucy Hale.

Scroll down for the trailers in their entirety:

BLACK LIGHTNING (Midseason)

DYNASTY (Wednesday at 9/8c)

LIFE SENTENCE (Midseason)

VALOR (Monday at 9/8c)

1. JM says:

I just watched the Dynasty trailer and I am appalled at the casting of Krystal. They cast it with the most wooden, dislikable actress who played the hateful Sybil on “The Vampire Diaries”. In the original show, Linda Evans as Krystal was the “heart” of the show and John Forsythe gave it its “gravitas”. This new show comes across as just empty and ugly.

• LK says:

Yea, wasn’t Krystal the good girl in the original show? She seems like a schemer in this one…

• Adam says:

Agree! Krystal had a heart of gold (and was blonde). And where is Alexis? Are they bringing on Joan at the end of season to save the show (again)? Now THAT…I would watch.

• Michael Bailey says:

I’m kind of optimistic. Too often in the original krsytle came across as a complete wimp. She might show signs of standing up to Alexis on occasion, but she would nearly always end up walking off with her tail between her legs in seconds. EVERYBODY on the show walked all over her.

• Gospino says:

Krystle is the correct spelling of the name in the original Dynasty. Sigh.

• Temperance says:

Yeah, but it might be fun for a few episodes. SammyJo being a guy is pretty great, and at least we’ll get some catfights. The edgy language is nice.

2. NC says:

Dynasty and Life Sentence look horrible. I can’t believe The CW ordered these to series. They will definitely fail like Frequency and No Tomorrow. Black Lightning looks ok I wasn’t blown away like I was with their other DC shows but will definitely check it out. Valor look interesting too. Will check it out too. But like I said Dynasty and Life Sentence is horrible. Come on CW. How could you order these to series??!! Haven’t you learned your lesson about these types of shows???

3. Jared says:

The CW gets me every year! The trailers look really good compared to most of the others I’ve been seeing the past couple days.

4. Kevin Tran says:

Black Lightning – A minus. Life Sentence – B. Valor – C plus. Dynasty – C minus (like nobody cares).

5. Lola says:

Sybil. Hard pass. Valor is so unCWlike. On the fence. I can easily fall in love with Life Sentence. I get Hart Of Dixie vibes. And I’ll most likely pass on Black Lighting too. I’m superhero’ out honestly.

6. Will says:

Dynasty looks like it could be either Melrose 3.0 or the successor to Gossip Girl. Too soon to tell.
    Life Sentence looks cute but in a 13 episodes and done/canceled way. The next No Tomorrow basically…
    Pass on more superheros and war/military drama.

7. David Hambly says:

life sentence looks delightfully weird or weirdly delightful. my favorite new line “he sells his ADD medicine to soccer moms and gets them to sleep with him by telling them that you have cancer.”

8. LK says:

Black Lightning looks interesting though I think the casting is bad… Dynasty looks terrible…Life Sentence looks bad… Valor might be ok.. hard to get a grasp on it from the trailor but it looks like it might be good.

9. jason says:

Black lighting looks a lot better than i thought it would.

10. Jake says:

Wow talk about taking a classic and turning into trash, I can already tell Dynasty will bomb out. Not sure why there is this constant need to remake everything.

11. JLR says:

Black Lightning looks good, although I agree with some of the comments regarding the casting. Not sure about the daughters’ actresses (obviously, there’s not a ton to judge from).

Life Sentence could be okay, but Valor and Dynasty look like flops. Wouldn’t be surprised if Valor doesn’t get past the initial 13 episodes. Dynasty might last a season, but looks like trash.

12. Goldenvibefan says:

Black Lightning is the only CW pilot that looks interesting. Why they couldn’t bring Searchers on astounds me. It would’ve been 1000 times better than Dynasty, Valor, or Life Sentence.

13. Uno says:

Black lightning looks good.. And I’m all for a predominantly blk TV show with a good family dynAMIC… lifr sentence looks cute something I may let stack up on the DVR and veg out too on a lazy Saturday… Dynasty will be a complete guilty pleasure hate watch.. And ill catch every episode… Valor does seem very un cw.. But I’m intrigued… Even tho I wish the world would stop trying to make Matt Barr happen… I already dont like his character and by proxy the female lead for their inevitable hookup when she cheats on her bf…

14. Adam says:

Weird idea…What if Alexis is played by Heather Locklear? It works on a multitude of levels.

15. GraeLeigh says:

Geezz that Dynasty reboot looks like crap !!
    The original was classy and although I don’t get this need to reboot/remake everything they’d show some respect.
    This looks like trash straight into the gutter.

Have some hope for BL though …

16. chuckiechk says:

wow just watched the Dynasty trailer and its bad, like really bad

17. Alyse says:

Life sentence looks good and is totally my type of show! Valor looks very different than what the cw usually does so I may give it a try, I like both Matt and Charlie. Dynasty just doesn’t intrest me.

18. Iris says:

I was skeptical but I’ll give Dynasty a chance. They should add a character in her early to mid-40’s (and blonde, since they’re subverting the original) as Alexis on the canvas. If the show doesn’t flop.

19. Hallie says:

None of these shows look very promising I don’t think I will watch any

20. ggny says:

Sweet Caleb Nichol is back from the dead!

21. Snow says:

I like that the Powers run in the family with the black lightning show. So I definitely want to check the show out, because it has a family dynamic that is it like the other CW superhero shows.

I think I’m going to pass on the rest of the shows

22. fernando933 says:

Valor looks terrible, Life Sentence should have been paired with Supergirl in the fall.

The others look good. Dynasty is the typical gossip girl/90210 so I’ll give it a chance because I still like those type of shows

23. Eran says:

Oh wow… that Dynasty trailer hurt like a 10$ gin hangover. No one seems to know anymore that the key to giving any soap opera longevity is likeable characters and humanity to balance out the all the crazy long lost siblings, faked deaths, wedding massacre shenanigans. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? Not in the slightest.

24. ChicagoDan says:

Dynasty – So Krystle is acting like Sammy Jo. That trailer was awful – I thought it be fun – but every character is positioned as hateful.

25. Fernanda says:

This is like Melrose Place 2.0 mess. I dislike entirely these cast choices (except Grant Show) and this horrible trailer.

I would aprobe it of Krystle was Daphne Zuniga or Josie Bissett and Heather Locklear as Alexis

26. Curious – do people think that the new “Dynasty” would work better if it was just a new show and not a remake of the original?

I feel like part of the problem of remakes it that they bring on all kinds of comparisons to the original that wouldn’t be there if they just created a new show in the same vein as the previous one, but without actually calling it the same name.

27. Lysh says:

Valor, besides the cast being made up of pretty people, looks kind of off-brand for CW. I feel like Dynasty might work better on another network, too. Life Sentence looks good, but like a movie…I’m not sure how long it could go, but I’ll def check it out. And of course anything Berlanti has a safe life on the CW, so Black Lightning looks good. I won’t be surprised if/when the pilot leaks on the internet.

28. Temperance says:

Hard pass on Valor and Life Sentence. Dynasty gets a few episode try. Black Lightning looks like a winner (surprisingly).

29. James D says:

I’ll check out Black Lightning, at the very least it’s fight scenes look pretty BA. Valor looks awful, yet another CW Show with pretty people who look and act completely unconvincing as soldiers.

30. Sarah G says:

Wow, 3 of those were terrible. Really disappointed CW :(

Valor – wow that was bad. The acting sucked (and I normally like Matt Barr!), the production values sucked, the writing sucked, there was nothing that did not suck. If it lasts more than 13 eps total I’d be amazed. Couldn’t even make it through the last few seconds of the trailer.

Life Sentence – looks like a mediocre version of what the CW already has. Nothing felt fresh or new about it, just like a cheap knock-off version of better dramedies. Sorry, Lucy Hale. I like you, but no. This season’s No Tomorrow, with a similar lifespan.

Black Lightening – the CW has deadass 100% killed my interest in their superhero shows by overloading me with way too many of them and nothing is bringing me back anytime soon, but in fairness this actually looked decent. By far the most promising looking CW show this season, even tho I def won’t be watching it.

Dynasty – look I love cheesy soaps, ok? But this was so terribad I bailed halfway thru the trailer. I made it further thru the Valor teaser, that’s how much this one sucked. I’m sure they’ll drag it to 4 seasons bc of the CBS factor + the name recognition but wtf was that? Most of the acting was bad (esp Krystal), the writing sucked, and they didn’t even have the decency to throw in any hot guys. Literally the only good thing I can say is the that sets looked decent.

Major thumbs down, CW. Its weird bc for the past decade the CW has been ‘my’ network and this Oct, there’s gonna be nothing for me to watch. But the only things I’m still watching on the CW have been benched for midseason + none of the new shows appeal, soooo unless I get bored enough to give SPN another shot after this hot mess of a season, I guess I’m done with the CW for the time being :/

31. Joey Padron says:

Black Lightning looks good, Life Sentence looks pretty good and other two new shows looks ok. Really looking forward to see Black Lightning when it premieres next year.

32. Hands down, Black Lightening’s the winner. I always planned on watching it. I wanted a TV show about a Black superhero who isn’t the sidekick on somebody else’s show (yeah I heard about Luke Cage, that’s ONE guy). I was going to watch BL even after I said I didn’t like the suit and expressed reservation for the casting of the lead character.
    Trailer looks good. Still not loving the suit, but I take back what I said about the casting. I’m going to looove Cress in this role!
    Valor: couldn’t get through 2 minutes of it. HAAARD pass.
    Dynasty: watched the entire trailer, I wanted to love it because I liked the original as a kid but it’s a no for me. That kind of catty, over-the-top, bitchy, campy vibe works with actors who know what they were doing. Shame. I really wanted Grant Show back on my screen after “Devious Maids” but I won’t be watching. Sorry Mister Spence. I think they made a big mistake with Krystle.
    Life Sentence: I was all set to love this one until I watched the trailer. Sorry, the boyfriend ruins it for me. Oh well. Black Lightening, here I come!

33. dave says:

Alexis: (From atop the Carrington staircase)Take this junk….. and get the hell out of my home!

34. Brock Hard says:

Dynasty looks godawful. They didn’t even use the iconic theme song, fail. And Krystle is supposed to be good to balance out the rest of the morally corrupt characters.

35. Celina says:

Wow! I didn’t like any of the trailers.
    I was intending to watch Black Lighting and Dinasty, but now I’ve changed my mind…

36. Ray says:

Oh why oh why didn’t The CW pickup Insatiable over Dynasty? That scene was so cringe worthy! Not hopeful about this one.

37. Thomas Christian Hirkoama says:

Dy Nasty looks beyond awful even worse than Empire it’s direct clone. Leave Knots Landing alone!

38. Paula says:

The Dynasty sneak peek looks great! Love the actors and opulent surroundings. Will definitely check out Life Sentence, too, as I adore Lucy Hale. Refuse to watch any superhero or military oriented series.

39. Lee Bryan says:

Dynasty looks aweful. Won’t last a season.

40. lrdslvrhnd says:

Black Lightning: Sure. It’s not Berlanti, though, right? ‘Cause I’m not sure I could handle any more crossover.
    Dynasty: Never watched the original, care even less about the remake.
    Life Sentence: Could be good, could be cheesy, could be both at once. I’ll check it out.
    Valor: Skip. Looks like it’d be a good popcorn movie, but as a series? Meh.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Oh yes… and if Black Lightning’s bad guys this season are the 100, will next season be iZombie, and Reign in the 3rd season?

41. Pat says:

The new “Fallon” (Dynasty) is NO Pamela Sue Martin.

42. Scott says:

What the new Dynasty needs is: the Gold idea in the comments of adding Heather Locklear as Alexis & Vanessa Williams as Dominique Deveraux. My other two additions: James Lafferty & Laura Leighton

43. Loretta Phy says:

They didn’t learn anything about rebooting an amazing show. Dynasty looks like first rate trash. Nothing like the original. At least when TNT rebooting Dallas they did an amazing job. Sad they kept pushing it around & didn’t renew. Today is the day of reality television folks. Thank goodness for Netflix. CW has The Originals & Supernatural. I don’t even tune in anymore cause I hate their “free” app. I’ll watch everything when it lands on Netflix.

44. nellibly says:

Didn’t anybody learn anything from the Dallas remake? Stop remaking ’80s TV shows. Just stop.

45. B says:

WHAT THE HELL, CW?! I DIDN’T WANT TO KNOW LUCY HALE’S BARISTA JOB DIDN’T WORK OUT, I WANTED TO FIND THAT OUT WHEN I WATCHED THE SHOW!

and here’s the line that’s not in caps lock

46. Ally Oop says:

Valor does not seem like a CW show but it interests me so I will watch it. I’ll also be watching Dynasty and Life Sentence. I got tired of superhero shows (other than Jessica Jones) a few years ago so I’m skipping Black Lightning.

I’m not sure why CW keeps trying with shows like Crazy Ex, No Tomorrow, Life Sentence, etc. Don’t get me wrong; I love these types of shows but ratings for them suck.

47. debbie says:

the new dynasty doesn’t even compare to the 80’s Dynasty EVERYTHING about it stinks to high heaven . NO CLASS AT ALL. I WILL NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW. Its so sad that you have to absolutely destroy the BEST SERIES EVER. THE MUSIC you have to the trailer sucks big time..