Fall TV Preview

CBS Trailers: Our Knee-Jerk Reactions to David Boreanaz's SEAL Team, 9JKL, Me, Myself & I and More New Shows

CBS on Wednesday unveiled its fall 2017 schedule, along with previews for its upcoming series, including David Boreanaz’s post-Bones vehicle SEAL Team and Jeremy Piven’s Wisdom of the Crowd.

Here at TVLine, we immediately jumped at the chance to screen each trailer — which you can also do by clicking here — and we’re ready to divulge our totally unfiltered, brutally honest snap judgments. (Also included: Reactions to the first trailer for CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Discovery, which you can view here.)

Below, Michael Ausiello, Matt Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Vlada Gelman and Ryan Schwartz share their gut reactions to each new series based on the first footage released by the network, then turn it over to you to tell us whether you agree or disagree with our pithy reviews.

Now, keep in mind: The following trailers are just the very first glimpse we get of a series and are often not wholly indicative of quality. As such, don’t take the following analysis to mean the series below will necessarily be good or bad. Previews can be deceiving — and we’ve all been fooled before.

Note: Trailers for midseason series By the Book and Instinct have not yet been released.

Keep scrolling to see how Team TVLine reacted to each respective preview…

9JKL (Monday at 8:30/7:30c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | I was too put off by the cloying laugh track to form an actual opinion.
MITOVICH | Didn’t Linda Lavin play the exact same role (clingy mom) on Sean Saves the World?
NEMETZ | Hey, someone threw a bunch of TV veterans and tired punchlines into a blender and made a smoothie! (Which tastes terrible.)
SWIFT | Hearing Elliott Gould refer to a wife — other than Friends‘ Christina Pickles — as “Judy” just feels wrong.

ME, MYSELF & I (Monday at 9:30/8:30c; moves to 9/8c in late October) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | Too high a concept, with problematic casting. Pass.
ROOTS | I only cared about Bobby Moynihan’s part of the story, which is the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen, right?
SCHWARTZ | It’s a shame that Bobby Moynihan is leaving SNL, because this high-concept effort looks like a prime contender for first cancellation of the season.

SEAL TEAM (Wednesday at 9/8c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | I forgot Megan Draper was in this…
MITOVICH | This looks much better than it needs to be. Not just run-and-gunning.
ROOTS | Feels like an alternate universe where Booth went into the Navy SEALS instead of the Army Rangers… and doesn’t have a quirky lady to Temperance temper him. Not for me.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY on CBS All Access (TBA) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | Slick. Informative. Compelling.  Everything that the Marvel’s Inhumans trailer wasn’t.
ROOTS | Visually stunning, but lemme spill some tea, Earl Grey, hot: I wish Bryan Fuller were still a part of this show.
SWIFT | I’m not a Trekkie in the slightest, but that looked awesome. Consider me (tentatively) converted!
NEMETZ | Well, speaking as a confirmed Trekkie, let me just say: HELL YEAH. This might actually be worth the (very long) wait.
GELMAN | I am not a Trekkie at all, but CBS might have just beamed me up with that very solid, expensive-looking trailer.

S.W.A.T. (Thursday at 10/9c after Thursday Night Football concludes) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | Shemar Moore’s extremely calculated facial hair (does it form a perfect triangle?) is distracting. Also, I expected more gunplay.
SWIFT | Shemar Moore could sell a CBS procedural in his sleep. I’m surprised this hasn’t already been renewed for eight seasons.
GELMAN | Not my cup of tea, meaning it will probably run for many years on CBS.

WISDOM OF THE CROWD (Sunday at 8/7c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | Is this a trailer or a complete recap of the entire episode, including what appears to be the spoiler-filled ending?
MITOVICH | AKA this year’s CBS entry in the Never-Successful, Far-Fetched Tech Drama Category.
SWIFT | I was mildly intrigued… until they used the name of the show in dialogue. Also, were all of the British actress’ lines recorded via ADR?
GELMAN | Pure Genius didn’t work, so they decided to transport the tech billionaire to the police/crime-solving realm?

YOUNG SHELDON (Sneak preview Monday, Sept. 25, then Thursday at 8:30/7:30c after Thursday Night Football concludes) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | Very curious to see how the show will address the elephant in the room (the one Big Bang has long sidestepped): Why does Sheldon act the way he does?
MITOVICH | Damn, this trailer brought a tear to my eye. Just wish it made me laugh about more.
ROOTS | Sheldon is my least favorite part of Big Bang, so his origin story is one I’ll skip.
SCHWARTZ | Not to get too morbid, but anyone else curious how the show will handle the eventual death of Sheldon’s dad? Seeing Sheldon take his hand at the dinner table nearly wrecked me. (Also a nice touch: 9-year-old Sheldon watching Professor Proton.)

1. Katherine215 says:

I really love this feature. The snark is strong.

2. I would be more interested in SEAL if Jim Caviezel was still attached to it.

• Mel says:

Me, too. The TV universe needs a break from David Snoreanaz

• kmw says:

Borenanz is probably the best thing about it and it isn’t HIS fault the other actor left. You aren’t a fan? Fine there is lots of shows without him in them. Go watch them

• Haz says:

You do understand the benefit of expressing opinions like that is if enough people say something executives end up taking notice. I will say I probably won’t watch and kind of suprised David jumped into another show so fast. I mean he’s had a steady gig since Buffy.

• digitalred93 says:

The guy likes to work. Nothing wrong with that. I’m actually more interested in the show because Boreanaz will be in it. If Caviezel starred, I probably wouldn’t watch. I haven’t viewed a CBS series in over a decade. SEALS will be the only reason why I do.

• Emma says:

@kmw IKR!? There are like a *million* TV shows now. On various platforms. Go watch them. Geez. Srly. Nobody is making them watch David on *one*

My god.

• Mel says:

These aren’t fan boards. People are allowed to express their opinions. This guy needs a rest. You don’t like my post? Fine there are lots of posts written by other people. Go read them.

• C says:

Lol! Perfect reply.

As for the show, personally I will try it. I wasn’t going to, but then I found out that Max theirot (Dylan, bates motel) is in it. I happen to quite like him as an actor. DB is okay (I like JC as well), but i quit watching Bones when they killed off Sweets. They’d already pissed me off by killing off VNM, making Zack a psycho or whatever and giving Wendell cancer. Honestly, I liked these characters more than the two main ones lol. Not that I disliked them, but anyway. Fox had the idiotic promo on ep where Jared died, making people think it could be the elder brother. Yeah right! Who would believe they’d kill off the main male character when there wasn’t any (known) backstage drama as there was with McDreamy? That promo was just strange.

• Lyndy says:

Agreed…would have loved Jim C in this show.

• Michael says:

I wrote the exact same thing in another tvline article. Anything is better with Jim Caviezel.

• Emma says:

So tired of pissy Jim Caviezel stans

He left. He didn’t want to do with it.

Move on.

The pilot got picked up with David Boreanaz. Nothing to do with Caviezel .

• Mel says:

There are many other posters here. So tired of people trying to control what other people post.

• Emma says:

Its not about controlling about what people say. I am just tired of Jim Caviezel stans pissing all over anytime there is a article about SEAL

Jim left. It was his choice. Its nothing to do with David.

The pilot got picked up a with David as lead. Who knows how far it would of progressed with Jim. Its unknown cos its not his role or show now.

Can we just play nice?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thank you; the recast happened a while ago, obviously for reasons. And the show has been successfully picked up to series. Time to move on.

• mary says:

What are Caviezel stans? lol.
            I’m a fan of both-so I’ll watch. Interesting though when people talk about this person or that person were initially supposed to play “this” famous role, would the former have made it famous? Ultimately DB could be the better fit.

• Ben says:

I’m not pissy. I don’t feel any sense of loss. It’s just a fact that I would have checked it out if Cavaziel was in it, now I won’t. I’m fine with that.

• C says:

I wonder if Jim turned it down because he is feeling burned by what CBS did to his last series?

• Ben says:

I agree. It went from interesting to pass.

• Josie says:

I’m interested because Jim Caviezel ISN’T in it. The trailer looks fantastic. Can’t wait.

• meatwad says:

i agree, show doesn’t look bad though so i’ll probably check out a few episodes

3. Emmy says:

I guess the Wisdom in the crowd guys thought they can do a better APB

4. J.Norman says:

I may be wrong, but, for right now, I’m not in the camp that thinks Young Sheldon is going to be a break out hit.
    it will certainly draw a big audience for the first 1-3 episodes, but then will have to stand on its own.
    I’m not sure how well Sheldon’s “lovable quirks” and “rude, but somehow cute, cluelessness” will play in a kid in a home setting. . .genius of not.

i guess we’ll see.

5. Kevin Tran says:

I’m so excited about SWAT and I really hope the iconic theme music is going to be entertaining. 9JKL is going to be CBS’ biggest flop.

6. kmw says:

I appreciate you guys doing these things. I will probably give Seal Team a chance but I am wary

7. bigbowood says:

I’m still trying to figure out why the team behind Young Sheldon chose to do it as a single-cam. It is so tonally different than Big Bang that it just doesn’t seem like a good fit to pair them together despite to obvious connective tissue. Young Sheldon, while seemingly a bit light on laughs, actually looks pretty good and full of heart, and seems like it would pair well with Me, Myself, and I (also solid, though possibly a little to high concept for CBS).

9JKL looks downright terrible (I at least laughed a LITTLE during last year’s trailers for Kevin Can Wait and Man with a Plan). SWAT looked way better than I thought it would, Wisdom of the Crowd looks like Pure Genius 2.0 (though slightly more watchable), and Star Trek Discovery looks visually stunning but seems to be lacking even the slightest bit of fun. I have zero interest in even watching the trailer for SEAL Team.

8. Paula says:

TV Line… Will you tell me why (as of 2 days ago) every time I click on a link to read an article on your site… I am first directed to a page necessitating my going to a second page for the article? This happens every time and my patience is wearing thin! Never had this problem until 2 days ago. This annoys me just as much as the continuous pop-up ads that still linger here. I am using Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy S2 android tablet.

• Gospino says:

iPhone 5c here, and this site’s ads are horrible. I’ve started to leave the site and go elsewhere whenever another intrusive ad attacks my phone screen.

• C says:

I have a 5c as well. However, I’m reading the site through indb’s app. There are ads, but they aren’t as annoying this way as they are in my actual browser.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Please elaborate on this part, so that we may investigate: “I am first directed to a page necessitating my going to a second page for the article”

• Kristen says:

Young Sheldon needs more mullets and rat tails to be believable as East Texas in the late 80s.

• Kristen says:

Whoops that was supposed to be its own comment not sure what happened. I have gotten the redirect page that Paula has though. It shows an ad and says something like your article will automatically load in 30 seconds, or you can click go to article now.

9. Jared says:

All of these trailers were about 2 minutes too long. The longer I watched the more I started to hate them all..lol. Not huge fan of CBS shows in general so clearly I wasn’t expecting much but wow..not a single new show looks watchable. On a side note I kept hearing all this fuss about JKLMNOP..but that trailer and those punchlines were sooooo played out!

• mary says:

That’s why I never check out the trailers. They’re like longer versions of promos, thus can be misleading. I see the description, who’s in it, & make a decision whether or not to try it. You cannot get much unless you watch a couple episodes, that’s when most start to get their footing.

10. Blondage says:

The previous child who plays the lead in young Sheldon has a fun you tube channel. He does musical theater reviews and is such a doll! Look for Iain Loves Theater. Love him!

11. cuius says:

Didn’t run the trailers, but those screenshots are enough – network TV drama is nearing the end-game – if you want quality you have to pay

12. Erica says:

Wisdom of the Crowd another Person of Interest, I’m in!

Me, Myself and I, more John Larroquette please!

13. kmw says:

I just re watched Seal Team’s trailer and is it just me but is the woman who is DB’S boss a cross between his last two love interests on Bones( Brennan and Hannah)? Maybe its just me but she sounds like Hannah and has the dark hair of Brennan. Oh well the one thing that is interesting me about this is David’s characters tick with his hand and why he is doing it. This could be a winner for CBS (whether the critics like it or not) mostly because of the night its on. Whether I end up sticking with it I hope for the best for David on this one. He sure has had a good long career and I have to admit looks really good in this trailer

14. “GELMAN | Not my cup of tea, meaning it will probably run for many years on CBS.”

I just loved that!!

15. DavidSask says:

New crap Monday shows, Superior Donuts somehow getting renewal. Shame on not bringing 2 Broke Girls back for at least final season! (I don’ care on behind scenes, who owns show)

16. Nessie says:

Is Louis Ferreira going to be a regular on SWAT or is he just in the first episode? He is the only reason I would watch it. I was excited but it doesn’t look like he’s a regular part of the show which is disappointing.

I love the entire cast of Wisdom so I will definitely be watching it. And I will definitely be watching Star Trek.
    Seal Team and Me Myself & I look mildly interesting so I’ll give them a shot.
    Young Sheldon does as well, I’m really happy they decided to go with a single cam and potentially more of a drama for it, otherwise it would feel a bit like a BBT clone.

17. datdudemurphy says:

I’ll check out Seal Team and SWAT…..Star Trek had a pretty great trailer, not great enough to make me pay for the CBS All Access stuff, but still pretty great.

probably not gonna bother with Young Sheldon. I don’t care for Sheldon on BBT, and it appears no different here. Are they going for a Wonder Years type thing?

18. NP20 says:

I didn’t know Sheldon’s behavior required an explanation – don’t we all assume Aspergers or a similar condition?

• suzi says:

I’ve always suspected a form of Aspergers, or simply an incredibly smart kid who never fit in and developed a ton of quirks to compensate. Not exactly an elephant.

19. Boiler says:

Nothing here looks particularly good. CBS has done a poor job this year and may rue cutting Elementary and Code Black to 13 episodes. And do they plan to ruin MME. Secretary just like they did Elementary. Sad

20. Sarah Chalmers says:

all of the trailers have been removed and do not work.

21. Walkie says:

Love Larroquette but it’s really bizarre that he’s cast as the older Moynihan. Doesn’t fit in the slightest.

22. kjmorse says:

Can’t watch the trailers…
    Being in Australia sometimes sucks

23. Lyndy says:

Sheldon – I don’t know what to make of it, it does not seem like a comedy.
    9JKL – I have no kind words for this show…Fail!
    Nothing really peaked my interest
    I love these knee-Jerk reactions from the TVL staff
    p.s Having read all the knee-jerk articles I have to say, Kim there’s a difference between good old first impression criticism AND just plain NEGATIVITY!

24. Ray says:

How is it that year after year, CBS is unable to make a single pilot which appeals to me? Is CBS an acronym for Completely Boring Shows?

25. Ally Oop says:

Yawn. Pass. Curiosity might get me to check out Young Sheldon but nothing else. Big Bang Theory is the only CBS show I watch.

• Piers says:

You really should take a new look at Scorpion. The cast is so likable that it’s easy to suspend disbelief and just go with it.

26. Ken says:

2 Broke Girls should be given 1 final season to wrap up all the stories. I much rather watch that on any night than the shows listed above!!!

27. grys03 says:

Star Trek trailer looks gorgeous – sort of a cross between Star Wars & a Dune feel to it. Hopefully the series continues the style

28. Erin says:

I’m more excited for the Young Sheldon than I thought I would be. It looks better than I anticipated.

• Andrea says:

Little Ian is great, but I’m also impressed with Laurie Metcalfe’s daughter. She really is making me think of her mother and believe that her character is Sheldon’s mom at a younger age.

29. Andrea says:

Seal Team makes me think of the Unit. I’ll probably check it out, but I wish that Seal Team was a mix of the Unit cast…David plus Max Martini and Scott Foley. Shemar Moore’s S.W. A. T looks like it has possibilities.

30. Michael Summerset says:

It will probably take some adjusting to get use to Boreanaz in a new role after Bones ran so long.

31. Piers says:

With apologies for gross negativity for various reasons: 9JKL is cliche’. Seal Team is a no for me because I could barely tolerate Boreanaz on Bones. SWAT looks like a testosterone fest, so no. Young Sheldon annoys me already. The others are too uninteresting to even evaluate.

32. LaDonna says:

OK, I’ll say it…I’m really intrigued by Wisdom in the Crowd. I’ll also check out Seal Team and might try SWAT (to get my Shemar fix), but they’ll have to be pretty compelling to keep me interested. Star Trek: Discovery…I want to like it. I want to watch it. But I don’t know if I can bring myself to subscribe to yet another streaming service just for one show.

33. Courtney Larson says:

YAY! I’m not alone in not liking Sheldon! Once I heard that Young Sheldon had been picked up, I knew that it was a show I’d be skipping.

34. JMark (formerly JM) says:

None of them interests me except Star Trek, which I would watch if I didn’t have to pay for it, but since I do, pass.

35. Real Trekkies are cringing at the ST trailer.

• digitalred93 says:

Count me in on the cringing. That last line of the trailer firmly moved this new edition out of Star Trek (science fiction) and into Star Wars (space fantasy).

36. Young Sheldon looks terrible, sorry.

37. I keep getting the Young Sheldon trailers for every program….what gives?

38. meatwad says:

Swat looked way more interesting than i originally figured since it appears to be about more than just shoot outs