Fall TV Preview
CBS Fall Schedule 2017

CBS Fall Schedule: Young Sheldon Lands Post Big Bang Slot

CBS on Wednesday revealed its primetime schedule for the 2017-18 TV season, following similar announcements from NBC, Fox and ABC. As expected, Big Bang Theory prequel spinoff Young Sheldon has landed on Thursday-at-8:30 following Big Bang. The single-camera comedy — which centers on a 9-year-old Sheldon (Big Little Lies‘ Iain Armitage) entering high school — will get a special sneak preview on Monday, Sept. 25, before settling into its Thursday perch after Thursday Night Football completes its early-fall run.

Also on the new-show front, David Boreanaz’ SEAL Team will air Wednesdays-at-9, pushing Criminal Minds to 10 pm, and Shemar Moore’s S.W.A.T. has snagged the Thursdays-at-10 slot.

On tap for midseason: Returning shows Elementary, Man With a Plan, Code Black and The Amazing Race, as well as new series INSTINCT and BY THE BOOK.

All told, the CBS schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm The Big Bang Theory
8:30 9JKL (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Kevin Can Wait
9: 30 ME MYSELF & I (WATCH TRAILER)
10 pm Scorpion

MONDAY (after Thursday Night Football concludes on Thursday, Oct. 26)
8 pm Kevin Can Wait
8:30 9JKL
9 pm ME MYSELF & I
9: 30 Superior Donuts
10 pm Scorpion

TUESDAY
8 pm NCIS
9  pm Bull
10 pm NCIS: New Orleans

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Survivor
9 pm SEAL TEAM (WATCH TRAILER)
10 pm Criminal Minds

THURSDAY
8 pm Thursday Night Football

THURSDAY (after football concludes)
8 pm The Big Bang Theory
8:30 pm YOUNG SHELDON (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Mom
9:30 Life in Pieces
10 pm S.W.A.T. (WATCH TRAILER)

FRIDAY
8 pm Macgyver
9 pm Hawaii Five-0
10 pm Blue Bloods

SATURDAY
8 pm Crimetime Saturday (drama series encores)
9 pm Crimetime Saturday (drama series encores)
10 pm 48 Hours

SUNDAY
7 pm 60 Minutes
8 pm WISDOM OF THE CROWD (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm NCIS: Los Angeles
10 pm Madam Secretary

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: 2 Broke Girls, American Gothic, BrainDead, Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, Doubt, The Great Indoors, The Odd Couple, Pure Genius and Training Day

1. Leanna says:

Where’s Elementary?

2. Jennifer says:

And Madam Secretary at 10PM on Sundays? Boo. That just killed it. Too many delays due to crappy (my opinion) sports.

• Cas says:

I use to watch CSI Miami and the Mentalist in that spot and I agree what a crappy spot. I missed so many episodes because my DVR wasn’t smart enough to know the show didn’t start until 10:30.

• kilroyscarnival says:

I always set my DVR to record the next show or two during football season. I can alway’s delete them if things aired on time.

• David S says:

Not the DVR’s fault. Just learn to program an extra 60 minutes on the end of the Sunday night shows. It’ll take up more space, but you’ll see the shows. That, or use On Demand.

• Leanne says:

I did that after missing out a time orb to

• Michael Summerset says:

You can usually catch the show the next day on the website if you’re in the US.

• AnnieM says:

Thank you for the info! I thought they weren’t airing full eps on the website anymore due to their paid app (I’d never checked). With the coming logjam of Thursday night programming this fall, this may be how I have to watch BBT & maybe Young Sheldon. I’m not going to pay for their app just for a couple of shows.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

They leave the last three or four episodes online for free, then move them to All Access.

• kort says:

Yeah. Cause the previous 10PM show is dead.

• BM says:

The 10 p.m. spot for MSec definitely sucks. Also, it is not a 10 p.m. show.

• Iakovos says:

You speak truth, Jennifer. Why even schedule something there? Maybe use it for a weekend sports wrap-up show or to catch up on the pre-empted network evening news if there is less than an hour remaining. The Eye does not have it (tee hee) in this case.

• Jennifer says:

I said it somewhere else. At least during football season, CBS should not have anything scheduled during the 10PM hour, due to potential runover. They should leave it open and have reruns of sitcoms or something else there.

3. Joy says:

Are Elementary and Code Black being pushed to mid-season?

4. Eric says:

Not liking them demoting The Amazing Race to one season a year. You’d think they would treat a ten-time Emmy winner better than they have lately.

5. Adam says:

Say what you want about CBS but they are consistent and run like a machine. It’s why they continue to be americas most watched network. ABC and FOX could learn a lot just reading what Les Moonves has to say.

6. J.Norman says:

Beyond a 1 or 2 week early curiosity look see, I think Young Sheldon will tank. . . or at least do no better than The Great Indoors.

I also have doubts about Me, Myself, and I, as well as the poorly named 9JKL (a supposed improvement I guess on the former 9J,9K,9L)

7. Mary says:

Okay, we have 3 new dramas and 4 midseason dramas. How’s that going to work? Unless one of the returning dramas isn’t having a 22 episode season.

8. Shib Neddeff says:

SAD to see 2 Broke Girls gone…

9. The Rookie says:

Criminal Minds had an awesome April and May, tying NCIS as CBS top drama. Don’t really like the move to 10pm when the show has risen once again to hit status.

• Coop says:

It’s not going to be around much longer. Makes sense to put it @ 10 and give new programs a chance at a quality time slot, hopefully becoming their next drama mainstay.

10. Paul says:

What About Undercover Boss?

11. The Rookie says:

Also don’t understand why they placed SWAT on Thursday instead of Wednesday. It seemed quite logical to use CM to launch the new Shemar show.

• kmw says:

I don’t understand it either since CBS has a long relationship with Shemar Moore. I guess DB’S 20 some odd years gets precedence. not happy that S.W.A.T is on at 10 on Thursdays at all

12. Kevin Tran says:

Another “roadblock” for Amazing Race until mid-season again. SEAL Team and SWAT are two new CBS series I’m looking forward to.

13. Rich says:

Where is Elementary? According to your: https://tvline.com/2016/10/03/renewed-tv-shows-2017-renewal-scorecard-cancelled-series/2/…it is officially renewed but it doesn’t on your weekly schedule for CBS.

14. Tomm Huntre says:

Wow!! The pressure on YOUNG SHELDON to adhere to what’s been stated about Sheldon’s youth on TBBT is huge. A couple of missteps and fan backlash could be huge!! The actress playing Sheldon’s mom looks a great deal like LM (her daughter, I’ve read).

Super looking forward to this. Hoping it holds to the quality of it’s mother show.

15. Entering High School or Middle School? Iain Armitage is nine years old. Kinda young for a high school freshman.

16. Jko says:

Seal Team and Swat are the 2 I’d be interested inbecause of the stars but I’m not sure how long they’d hold my interest. So far their is no competition for either for me but we’ll see about the CW tomorrow.

17. fernando933 says:

I don’t really watch CBS but they seem to have the winning schedule so far

18. beergas says:

Mom & Life in Pieces decent combo. No idea what Wisdom of the Crowd is so have to check, biz drama? Looking like I’ll be doing more art painting w/ PBS on in background. Passed on Bull & NCIS:NO for later repeats. NCIS:LA was tough 2 parter. And I kinda liked Training Day just for the madness of it.

19. Boop says:

Nooooo! I love Man with a Plan and fully expected it to be on the fall schedule. :(

20. brooke says:

can you include the new time slot info?

21. Mary says:

Matt, do you know how many episodes Elementary has next season? I figure it can’t be a full 22 episodes.

22. Michael Summerset says:

The description for S.W.A.T. says it’s based on the movie, but the movie was an adaptation of the original TV show. It looks like they’re trying to do the same thing with that show as they did with Hawaii Five-0.

Since one of the characters on H50 use to be SWAT, there could be a crossover episode. And being based in LA we could also get some NCIS:LA appearances. They have crossed-over NCIS:LA with H50 and H50 with Macgyver.

• Dysturbed says:

It was reported awhile back that it’s referred to as being “based on the movie” because the movie itself of course had some differences from the original show, and this new show is using the movie’s changes as the basis. Something along those lines.

23. kmw says:

Ok I was right that CBS wouldn’t change Tuesdays but I was wrong about S.W.A.T. I thought for sure that would get Wed night but my boy Boreanaz got that slot. Seal Team should have no problem with this night now that Empire isn’t there. otherwise not a bad schedule

24. Billy meacham says:

So that means madam secretary is going to get exempted like elementary did a couple of times back in march during the march madness.

25. Goldenvibefan says:

Does this mean Mission Control is dead?

26. Shar says:

I see by the picture that Zoe Perry is staying blond for her role as Mary Cooper – the blond pony tail (maybe ) lives!!

27. Phil says:

I would have taken 2 Broke Girls instead of double Big Bang or double Mom for that matter…. I realize I am in the minority, but I am tired of Big Bang and most of CBS for that matter… looks like Mom is my only CBS series which is sad considering it was my favorite network a few years back since the age of like 6!

28. DebG says:

Any word on “Hunted”? I won’t cry big salty tears if it’s gone, but it was kind of a fun show. I haven’t seen anything about its renewal status.

29. Ally says:

Ransom doesn’t even get a mention? It doesn’t say cancelled or mid-season I would like another 13 episodes

30. Belle says:

Is there anywhere you can see the number of episodes ordered for returning dramas? I’ve seen the 13 episode count for Elementary but I’m also interested in shows receiving full orders. Is it too soon for that information?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

This time of year is more about celebrating the fact that your favorite TV programs are returning. Who needs cold, hard, emotionless numbers?

31. Bill says:

You guys need to adjust CBS Sunday nite. Still has old line-up. Comment on new schedule – Wisdom of the Crowd instead of Elementary? Crowd should be midseason. Elementary too good. Question TV Line: Was is the deal with CBS and Amazing Race? Use to have two cycles. This season only one. And looks like next season only one. This show has won multiple Emmys for CBS so what’s the problem? Ratings? Cost? The fact that there’s different studio?

32. Angela says:

Find it a bit odd they’re not putting Shemar Moor’s new show on the same night as “Criminal Minds”. I’d think they’d want to have them on the same night o help promote Shemar’s show.
    Going to be weird to have “Criminal Minds” on at a different time next season. Course, if that ‘SEAL” show doesn’t pan out, then I suppose they’ll move it back to its old timeslot?

• Angela says:

*Moore

• kmw says:

Apparently DB’S show is the one getting the buzz now because I was surprised as well about the placement of Shemar’s show. And Seal Team not working out? If it doesn’t do and stay in the 2’s in the demo I will be shocked, it is going up against nothing strong now that Empire has been moved. But who knows

33. Catherine says:

Wow, apparently CBS’s fall debut is not for me. The only two returning shows I watch are Superior Donuts and Survivor. I’ll try out Me, Myself, & I and maybe 9JKL.

34. Boiler says:

I really hope they plan Elementary for 24 eps like this year. Perhaps CBS will go to “two” seasons to avoid reruns. Awful spot for Madame Secretary. Too bad as it is a very good show. I can’t imagine Young Sheldon doing well and personally not impressed with any of the new shows.

35. Paul says:

CBS should mix it up & bring new shows back on Sat. They should at least try 8/8:30 with a final season of 2 Broke Girls & give The Great Indoors another shot, even if it is for a shorter season for both shows (9-12 eps, to see if it would catch on)!!!

36. Marc says:

I was hoping that 2 Broke Girls would be back for a final season. I thought maybe they would hold it for mid-season to see how the new shows played out but at least give it a final farewell.

37. jericho says:

Trailers where?

38. Patty says:

Not the odd couple

39. Mark says:

CBS are going to kill Fridays now

40. Jim J. says:

Because I will never get over the “2 Broke Girls” cancellation (unless TBS picks it up), I will avoid “Young Sheldon” like the plague and not watch a NANOSECOND of it.

41. Doris says:

Not impressed with the new shows. Non of the new shows say”watch me” to me. Don’t like moving some favorites around. Where is the amazing race? Love that show. Also I enjoyed watching HUN’TED but I guess the big shots didn’t agree. guess I’ll have to check to see what is on cable. I always liked the broadcast stations best but maybe it’s time for a change.

42. Carol C says:

I’m so happy Elementary and Code Black are returning, even it it’s only shorter episodes mid-season.