Fall TV Preview

ABC Trailers: Our Knee-Jerk Reactions to Marvel's Inhumans, Shonda Rhimes' For the People and More New Shows

ABC on Tuesday unveiled its fall 2017 schedule, along with previews for its upcoming series, including Freddie Highmore’s post-Bates Motel vehicle The Good Doctor, as well as the Shondaland legal drama For the People.

Here at TVLine, we immediately jumped at the chance to screen each trailer — some of which are available here; others were only shown to members of the press at the ABC Upfront on Tuesday — and we’re ready to divulge our totally unfiltered, brutally honest snap judgments.

Below, Michael Ausiello, Matt Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Vlada Gelman and Ryan Schwartz share their gut reactions to each new series based on the first footage released by the network, then turn it over to you to tell us whether you agree or disagree with our pithy reviews.

Now, keep in mind: The following trailers are just the very first glimpse we get of a series and are often not wholly indicative of quality. As such, don’t take the following analysis to mean the series below will necessarily be good or bad. Previews can be deceiving — and we’ve all been fooled before.

Keep scrolling to see how Team TVLine reacted to each respective preview…

ALEX, INC. (FKA START-UP) (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | A show about a podcaster? Will it be like a single-camera Frasier, or…? I don’t “get” it.
ROOTS | Holy Garden State, this looks right up my alley.
SWIFT | I don’t mean to go all reverse Animal Farm on ABC, but podcasts are to be heard and not seen. I won’t be investing in Alex, Inc.
NEMETZ | An appealing cast — hi, Good Eleanor from The Good Place! — gets bogged down by wacky sitcom hi-jinks and a thin premise. (A man launches a podcast, and then…?)
SCHWARTZ | Looks charming enough, but I’m confused: Is this supposed to be a workplace sitcom? A family comedy with workplace elements? I’ll give Zach Braff & Co. a few episodes to figure it out.

THE CROSSING (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | Oh, I get it. j/k I have no clue what this show is. And I suspect I don’t care.
MITOVICH | I’m rooting for it, because the premise is pretty cool, and yet it feels like the hybrid baby of every one-and-done ABC midseason genre show.
ROOTS | [folds hands in prayerPlease have your mythology figured out so this cool-looking drama doesn’t falter in Season 2…
NEMETZ | The time-bending premise is undeniably cool, but we’ve seen ABC swing and miss with this kind of high-concept drama too many times before.

DECEPTION (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | And this is related to Lucy Coe’s perfume line…how?
ROOTS | Just how big is the FBI “consultants” budget?!
SWIFT | If I never hear “You’re Cameron Black!” again, it will be too soon. Pass.
GELMAN | Looks like ABC is filling the Castle hole with Now You See Me: The Procedural.

FOR THE PEOPLE (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
ROOTS | What was that Shakespeare quote about lawyers again?
SWIFT | For which people, exactly? If there’s an interesting hook to this show, it was nowhere to be seen in the trailer.
GELMAN | Exactly what you would expect from a Shondaland show about lawyers. And with How to Get Away With Murder already on the air, do we need another legal show about young, sexy attorneys?
SCHWARTZ | So. Utterly. Generic.

THE GOOD DOCTOR (Monday at 10/9c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | Freddie Highmore is one of maybe six actors alive who could get me to watch yet another medical drama featuring an aberrant doctor.
MITOVICH | Helluva trailer. Terrific cast. Curious to see if the show holds its edge with some characters coming down hard on the autistic savant’s “deficit.”
NEMETZ | I can’t get excited about yet another “difficult savant flashes amazing skills” procedural, even with Freddie Highmore in the lead role.
SCHWARTZ | Is it possible for an actor to follow-up on a breakout role with another breakout role? Because if so, this seems to be the case for Bates Motel‘s Freddie Highmore.

THE GOSPEL OF KEVIN (Tuesday at 10/9c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
SWIFT |If it can balance the humor with the heart — the trailer features way too much of the latter — I’m down to check it out.
NEMETZ | Jason Ritter is crazy and funny (and crazy funny) here, but the silly comedy and uplifting spiritual drama don’t mix together very well.
GELMAN | Gave me a little bit of a Eli Stone-meets-Joan of Arcadia vibe, which is a good thing. Unrelated: Here’s hoping Jason Ritter and JoAnna Garcia Swisher don’t have inappropriate sibling chemistry.

MARVEL’S INHUMANS (Friday at 9/8c)
MITOVICH | The uninitiated shouldn’t come away from the trailer unclear on what the assorted Inhumans’ powers are.
ROOTS | Not a single woman kicking ass in that trailer? (A serious question: If I missed it, holler.)
GELMAN | For a show shot for IMAX, shouldn’t it be more visually striking? (Lockjaw was cool, though.)

THE MAYOR (Tuesday at 9:30/8:30c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
ROOTS | Much funnier than I expected it to be, mostly thanks to the winning Brandon Micheal Hall.
SWIFT | This feels more like a Kevin Hart movie than a long-running show, but I could see it being a sleeper hit.
NEMETZ | I’m not ready to laugh about an unprepared entertainer being thrust into a position of political power. Plus, why is Lea Michele signing on to be the third lead on a sitcom?
GELMAN | The rare case where a trailer pleasantly surprised me and increased my interest level from zero to “I’ll definitely check this out.”

ROSEANNE (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | The clip reel completely ignored Johnny Galecki’s David, but the eight-episode revival better not.
ROOTS | I’m putting on my chicken-and-egg shirt in celebration! Too bad it’s midseason — I would’ve loved one of their Halloween episodes.

SPLITTING UP TOGETHER (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
ROOTS Blergh, does that last line of dialogue mean that they’ll be ok if she just stops being awesome at doing everything? Because if so, I’m out.
SWIFT | I liked this better the first time when it was called Happily Divorced.
NEMETZ | The jokes are too cutesy; the emotional stuff is too forced. Also, it’s hard to accept Jenna Fischer on TV with anyone but Jim Halpert.
GELMAN | I will always give a comedy from writer Emily Kapnek (Selfie, Suburgatory) a chance. And I’d like to thank her for making me temporarily forget about Oliver Hudson’s Nashville character, Jeff Fordham.

TEN DAYS IN THE VALLEY (Sunday at 10/9c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | Kyra Sedgwick as a crime drama producer entangled in her own personal kidnapping crisis? As Brenda Leigh would say, “Thank yewwww!”
ROOTS | I feel like this is a cautionary tale for UnREAL‘s Rachel. Y’know, the Ghost of Producer Future?
NEMETZ | Combining a Hollywood cop show and a real-life kidnapping drama actually works, thanks to Kyra Sedgwick. Intense, and intriguing.

1. LK says:

Where in that Inhumans trailer? Still not posted?

2. T.W.S.S. says:

The Crossing reminds me so much of The 4400 (that little girl even looks like Maia), which was only mildly interesting in its day.

3. Mark Green says:

Shonda is becoming ABC’s Dick Wolf

Pathetic.

• Ray says:

Her name as an exec producer means nothing anymore. She sure is churning out some turds lately (Still-Star Crossed, anyone?)

4. Boop says:

Wasnt that last comment from Gelman supposed to be under Splitting Up Together?

5. Angela says:

Please have your mythology figured out so this cool-looking drama doesn’t falter in Season 2.
    Hahaha, yeah, I’ll go with this. It’s a valid concern. As long as they can make me care about the characters in “The Crossing”,, though, I’ll stick with whatever wild plot they go with.
    As for “The Good Doctor”, yeah, I normally don’t watch medical dramas, but aside from the fact that I’m a fan of Highmore, there seems to be a gentleness to this one that would be a rather refreshing change from doctors with cranky bedside manners or doctors whose love lives are the main issue (not knocking those setups, mind, they clearly work(ed) for shows like “House” and “Grey’s”. Just good to have a little variety in the genre, is all). And if they handle the autistic aspect of Highmore’s character well, that could make for some good representation, which would be a bonus.

6. LK says:

The Crossing reminds me of The 4400.

7. Sam says:

Very surprised about The Mayor. This could work.
    What I really want to work is the Gospel of Kevin but I fear it will tank.
    The Crossing is rather familiar with the Tag about them being refugees being the only current thing,

Not excited about the others. Nothing interesting about Shondaland’s new drama. Just boiled cabbage.

• Casey says:

I love Jason Ritter, but am apprehensive about the time slot. Tuesdays at 10 have long been ABC’s most challenging hour.

• madhatter360 says:

My concern about Gospel of Kevin is that the show will probably work around a Christian ideology despite being based on a Jewish concept. That line about there being 36 righteous people in the world is based on a Talmudic concept “Tzadikim Nistarim” or the “Lamed Vavniks”.
      The problem here is that another name for them is the Nistarim (“concealed ones”). A major part of this is that the 36 people don’t know they are part of the 36, partially because they are too humble to even consider that they could be one of the 36, so this idea of a heavenly being coming down to tell him he’s one of the 36 and protect him from harm totally contradicts a large part of this mythology.
      I’ll give it a chance since there’s probably a bunch of stuff we aren’t seeing, but I don’t love the idea of Jewish myths and mysticism being placed on characters who, based on this trailer and title, are not Jewish.

• Angela says:

Very surprised about The Mayor. This could work.
      Same. There were some good one-liners, and there’s a sweet charm to Brown and Hall’s interactions that I really like.

8. Chels says:

The crossing reminded me so much of the 4400

9. Gospino says:

Love the General Hospital reference in the Deception bit.

I saw an extended trailer for Gospel of Kevin and liked it way more than I expected, but will it have legs?

10. Kate says:

Thanks for the Lucy Coe reference!

When will the Inhumans trailer be available?

11. lrdslvrhnd says:

Please don’t tease us with a link to watch the Inhumans trailer until we can actually, y’know, watch the Inhumans trailer.

12. TvLover says:

Hmmm
    Deception? Or Castle with card tricks?
    the gospel of Kevin
    Ten days in the Valley
    The good doctor
    The in humans

13. Michael says:

Wow …so in short, Rosanne revival is the only standout…

14. ktc1986 says:

Deception = US version of Jonathan Creek

15. digitalred93 says:

RE:Alex, Inc.

Listen to the first installment of the original podcast, “Start Up.” Its compelling and very funny.

16. Lyndy says:

For The People: “For which people, exactly?” – Andy, you had me rolling on the ground with this line esp seeing as it’s so accurate…I do not get the point to this show at all.
    Splitting up together: Cute comedy…will chEck it out.
    Alex. Inc : I don’t know….maybe, nothing captivated me enough.

17. Amy B says:

Isn’t Alex like Jerry Maguire, but about podcasts instead???? How has nobody caught that?

18. s says:

Fun fact about the Good Doctor, it’s an American adaptation of a popular K-drama by the same name.

19. Red Snapper says:

I’m bummed that The Crossing isn’t until mid-season. It’s one of the few shows I was really excited about. It looks interesting but if history is any indicator I doubt ABC will give it a second season. I can see why people are comparing it to The 4400 which I was a big fan of. I’m a huge fan of the Inhumans comics and have been really looking forward to seeing Black Bolt and the rest of the royal family. The trailer’s not up yet but I can’t wait to see it. I loved the Kdrama of The Good Doctor so I’ll check this out plus Freddy Highmore. I’ve been saying for years that there are tons of Kdramas that would make great adaptations. I want to be excited for Roseanne, I grew up on the Conners, but I just don’t know where they can go after their finale. Also, I really hope the original run becomes available to stream somewhere. None of the other shows really jumped out at me.

20. Michael Summerset says:

I really hate the way Alex, Inc fictionalizes podcasts. There really isn’t anything as a “podcast company.” 99% of podcasters make no money whatsoever. And almost all are recorded at home by less than a handful of people. There are a few rare ones like TWIT that make substantial amounts, but of those that do make money they tend to make just enough to cover expenses. And for the average podcaster, all the production and editing work is done by the podcaster themselves on relatively cheap equipment.

21. GLO says:

Where is McPherson when you need him?
    The only interesting premise was The Crossing
    Comedies not funny!
    Do they know what they’re doing?
    And Sunday is a wasteland !!!