Dancing With the Stars Junior The Bachelor Winter Games ABC Spinoff

ABC Orders Dancing With the Stars, Bachelor Spinoffs for Next Season

ABC is doubling down on its hit reality franchises, ordering new spinoffs of Dancing With the Stars and The Bachelor for next season.

The network announced the spinoffs — Dancing With the Stars Junior, and The Bachelor Winter Games — in advance of Tuesday’s upfront presentation. Both are slated to debut next midseason, with DWTS Junior scheduled for the spring and Bachelor Winter Games set for February.

DWTS Junior will take both celebrity kids and kids of celebrities and pair them up with junior pro dancers to perform choreographed ballroom routines for a panel of expert judges. No word yet on whether any judges from the DWTS mothership will also judge on Junior.

The Bachelor Winter Games, set to air as counterprogramming for NBC’s coverage of the 2018 Winter Olympics, will throw former Bachelor and Bachelorette contestants together in a snow-covered ski resort to compete in a series of winter-themed athletic challenges… “including the toughest sport of all — love.”

ABC seems fully committed to reality TV next season: They’re also reviving American Idol, with a planned midseason debut.

Will you tune in for more DWTS and The Bachelor? Or are you reaching reality-TV overload? Hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. LK says:

Ugh.. these both sound awful.. Is this Bachelor Winter Games thing just Bachelor Pad with skis?

• Mary says:

I’m with you. Won’t watch either of them. DWTS I watch on occasion but never watch the bachelor or any of the let’s find love on TV.

2. DS says:

There shouldn’t be any judges from the “mothership”, would make the kids cry with all their criticism.

• LK says:

It should be the kids of the judges… assuming any of them have kids… or maybe their nieces or nephews… or just some kid that looks like them…

• MLPR says:

I don’t think so. Gordon Ramsey is so mean on all of his adult competitions, but he’s really great with the little ones. I’d bet that Len and Co. would be the same.

3. Spence says:

ABC is looking for suffering next season

4. John Tufnell says:

In the age of “Peak TV”, ABC sure is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

5. Cas says:

Dancing with the B list kids. Good working title

6. Goldenvibefan says:

Bachelor Winter Games? Well that’s something I never thought I would hear. Do they even have the time for both? Cause they usually have Bachelor run from January- March, then DWTS takes over from March- May, and then it’s Bachelorette.. Not sure how this works schedule wise..

• DreamRose311 says:

I would guess that Bachelor Winter Games will just be on most nights during the two weeks of the Olympics (when most channels just show reruns anyway), and that DWTS Jr will be in place of a second DWTS season.

7. Jennifer says:

God help us. This truly does signal the end of civilization. Really? we need MORE reality shows? Or are they just cheaper? What’s going on at Disney? it’s not like they’re lacking in the funds. They own just about every franchise out there.

8. Jennifer says:

Oh lord … please don’t tell me that Maddie Zeigler (from Dance Moms) will be a judge. She’s the worst.

• Lola says:

Aww you didn’t like her judging on SYTYCD? Haha! I hope she’s not a judge. I’m not a fan of kids judging other kids. She may be a dancer but I’m sure her expertise in all things dance is still lacking.

• Rachel says:

No she’ll probably be a “junior pro dancer”

• Jennifer says:

That’s worse. I thought there were better dancers on Dance Moms but she was the “favorite” and got all the attentions.

• Anonymous says:

Ugh…That’s exactly what came to my mind when I heard this. I don’t wanna see any of those Dance Moms brats on this show.

9. Adam says:

In other news ABC is canceling all scripted programming that is rated above a .8 and will only those along with reality competitions and game shows. ABC will also now stand for A Bunch of Crap. Seriously, whose in charge over there?!

10. Ally Oop says:

Insert eyeroll here.

11. Jennifer patterson says:

Oh dear lord . . . really? *shakes head and wonders what are they thinking*

12. Jake says:

One word BARF!!!

13. Jeepers says:

Yep, just got the weirdest look for laughing out loud in my office. Trust me, it was LOUD. Dear lord what is Dungey thinking?

14. Billy meacham says:

So half of my shows on abc got cancelled for more reality garbage smh…

15. kmw says:

Wow I have to say so far ABC is just going backwards in programming I get that the reality shows are cheaper and do better for them but in the long run and ABC really needs to think about this because despite its success Grey’s wont last forever and neither will HTGAWM, ABC will de in complete dire straits if they cannot come up with good dramas. I amnot worried about their comedies but this reality crap of theirs isn’t going to help them beyond a season or two

16. AngelWasHere says:

Ugh no thanks.

17. Ray says:

Channing Dungey needs to be replaced immediately

18. Rebecca says:

WHYYYYYY. These both sound horrible and pointless. Most people don’t care about celeb kids. And there are barely any ‘child actors’ who would be willing to participate in this trainwreck.

I’m not going to even address the embarrassing synopsis of that Bachelor spinoff.

19. Blah says:

Well how else is Nick Viall going to make money?

20. Jeff says:

So You Think You Can Dance tried a junior version and it failed miserably. Would think that DWTS would learn from that. How much longer can it stay on top? This decision may kill it sooner. The Bachelor idea sounds good, but really not.

• Joyce B. says:

My thoughts exactly. Can’t comment on The Bachelor (don’t watch it) but SYTYCD’s kids show was miserable. Watching those kids cry every week when they got eliminated? Not my idea of fun TV.

• Anonymous says:

The kids version of So You Think You Can Dance was terrible.

21. Boop says:

Is this DWTS junior replacing a spring edition of DWTS?

22. Maria says:

As if we need more stupid reality shows. Who come up with these stupid and lame ideas.

23. sunflower says:

Nooooo! Just NO.

24. James Stiger says:

Sigh. More reality. Just what nobody asked for. Hope these both bomb.

25. Iakovos says:

ABC! Really?

Pint-size anything makes me cringe. Doesn’t DWTS already sweeten the contestant pot with Disney stars and youthful Olympians?

And another BACHELOR exercise?!?! Are you kidding me? Do these 20- and 30-somethings need more fame games?

ABC used to be the Olympics of sports networks. And had must-see programs that people loved. This cannibalization won’t help that climb to #1.

26. MMD says:

Hell no!!!!!!!!!!

27. Timmah says:

The Bachelor is the biggest fraud on television. I see that another one of their “forever” couples just broke up.

28. Elizabeth says:

DWTS Junior just sounds wrong. And if it must be a thing, it should air on The Disney Channel, not ABC.

29. would love to see dwts junior there are so many talented kids out there

30. Michele Clark says:

reality overload YES!! let’s move away from it and find something a bit engaging instead.

31. Michelle says:

They cancel Last Man Standing and put this garbage on the air?!?!

32. marge201 says:

Love and adore DWTS. No thank you on the junior version. Won’t even watch it once. All it’ll do is create little monsters (not the cute kind). Pass!

33. readenreply says:

I’d like to see, Dancing with America, in which average folks compete to raise money to their favorite charities.

34. Yoko says:

I don’t think these could be any more boring if they tried. Off to watch Netflix Hulu & Prime.

35. Boiler says:

Where is Paul Lee when we need him??:(

36. Lisa Crowley says:

If the reality show is good bring it on, I love reality TV!!

37. Peggy L says:

I’m a huge fan of both the bachelor and dancing with the stars! But I absolutely will not watch the spinoffs! They are going to ruin the original shows by adding the spinoffs!

38. Janella Hill says:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DWTS. But the Bachelor and Bachelorette are really rediculous. Who would want to Mary someone weather it be male or female who has been with that many people ?After all how many of the couples actually get married and stay together after all the BS… REDICULOUS !!!!!!!