New Girl Twist: Final Season Will Kick Off With Huge Time Jump

Zooey Deschanel’s dyed-in-the-wool liberal Jess is going to fly through Donald Trump’s first (and last?) term as POTUS.

New Girl‘s upcoming seventh and final season will pick up three years after the events of last month’s Season 6 finale, our sister site Deadline reports. The game-changing twist was apparently part of a hail-mary pitch series creator Liz Meriwether made to Fox execs last week when the series was on the verge of being cancelled.

The network ultimately commissioned an eight-episode farewell season that, per Deadline, will span an entire year and feature “major milestones for all main characters… including a big one in the series finale.”

Last month, TVLine asked co-showrunner Brett Baer how he planned to keep the Nick-Jess dynamic interesting in a potential Season 7 now that the on-again/off-again couple have been happily reunited. “We have options in a potential Season 7 to keep some level of [excitement] in that relationship,” he teased. “We’ve been talking about creative solutions to that dynamic and how to move forward in a way that wouldn’t just be like a one-directional approach.”

Thoughts about the New Girl time warp? How many children do you think Cece and Schmidt will have when we pick up? And will Jess and Nick already be married? Hit the comments with your hopes/wishes/theories.

1. Steve says:

Thought the season finale was the series finale and it worked. Let it lie. It was the best episode of the year. End on a high note.

2. jason says:

will they be able to get the actress that plays aly back since shes on another show now

• steven says:

Since it’s an eight episode season, I think so.

• KatsMom says:

Not to mention that Aly’s sister works on the show as a producer/writer. I suspect that Nina probably has all the dirt that can twist Nasim’s arm a bit to get her to do whatever they need. :)

3. T.W.S.S. says:

Hopefully a flashback montage to Winston’s wedding.

I still don’t get Nick and Jess as a couple, but do you, show.

4. Will says:

So we’re getting “New Girl: A Year in the Life” next year on Fox rather than in four years on Netflix? I’m about it

5. Joey Padron says:

Interesting they will do a time jump for the final season. Can’t wait to see where the characters are 3 years into the future.

6. Dani says:

I’m not usually a fan of time jumps…half the fun of watching something is seeing the characters grow and time jumps feel like cheating. But I’ve followed the story for this long and have loved it, so fingers crossed this isn’t just a gimmick and works to give some fun closure. Also, more Coach!

7. David Bloom says:

You just couldn’t help but to slam Trump. Do you ever worry about offending your readers who support our president?

• Alexis says:

snowflake.

• BarryFlash says:

Ausiello and the others that work for him are part of the intolerant Left. They are just bad human beings. This is a tv and Far Left website. Wish they stuck to tv without politics.

• CC says:

The right is pretty intolerant about Ausiello’s marriage rights and other protections under the law. He can slam Trump all he wants and a majority of Americans will be right there with him.

• BarryFlash says:

He can say what he wants and so can I. Ausiello seems like a mean-spirited person. Oh, and half of USA likes Trump. Half do not. Pretty much the same with Obama (the worst President in US history.) Also, under Trump, no one has lost any rights and they will not.

• Lulu says:

I’m pretty sure it isn’t Obama that holds that title, despite what the right likes to think.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

In such denial. Guess you haven’t read any polling results since the election last year. Trump’s approval ratings indicate that far less than half the population likes him. Every day he does something stupid to lose more of his supporters (top secret intelligence to Russia, anyone?). He won’t make it four years.

• Lucifer says:

@Billy Bob Johnson. The polls are conducted by the same people who put out the polls claiming Hillary was going to win by a major landslide. Also, where is the evidence that Trump leaked top secret intelligence to Russia? Oh, right, it was alleged by news outlets that despise him so it must be true.

• Carmen says:

Not for lack of trying. #trumpmuslimban. Really, the worst? #delusional

• E. D. Boddy says:

Oh he can say what he wants. Nobody’s saying he can’t. It’s just incredibly HACKY. It’s not special. It only impresses stupid people, as there is literally NO ONE who can’t do it. Really, you can go ANYWHERE on the internet for slams on Trump.

• María Álvarez says:

Exactly, if it were for Trump, Aussiello wouldn’t have been able to marry Kit RIP

• westwingwolf says:

Will BarryFlash’s captors please stop forcing him to come to this website? He so obviously doesn’t like it here. Let him be free to find his TV news elsewhere! Run, BarryFlash, run!

• BarryFlash says:

I guess you don’t like people who disagree with you?

• westwingwolf says:

I think you’d make your point that you don’t like the way they write articles better if you didn’t click and reply to the articles. Websites’ objective is to get people to click on their articles. Whether you like what they say or don’t doesn’t matter. You clicked on the article and replied several times. You really want to show them you have a problem with the website, don’t click on articles or reply. Otherwise it’s just a freedom of speech argument that goes back and forth because we can both say what we want to say. But this ultimately goes nowhere and wastes everyone’s time. That’s what I don’t like. Wasting time.

• Stan says:

What is it about liberals and their constant need to insert their politics in the most inappropriate of places? A “New Girl” article? Really?

• Kristina says:

Why should he? It’s Michael Aussiello’s site and his prerogative to make whatever comments he likes, political or otherwise. It really isn’t, nor should it be, his concern whether people like or agree with his comments and opinions. We all come here voluntarily to read these posts. So why should he have to censor his commentary?

• BarryFlash says:

He can say what he wants. It shows what kind of terrible human being he is.

• Garvle53 says:

Which is exactly what your comments show about you.

• BarryFlash says:

I could also say that about the multitude of Lefty posters on this site who like to bully people who don’t agree with them.
            I have made very few comments. The people who run this site and work for it have made comments day after day.

• kmw says:

How is saying what he wants make him a terrible human being? You nor I don’t even know him and you make a judgement on him because he like many in the USA cannot stomach a man who is about to get all of us killed let alone let him live his life the way he wants. People bashed Obama for eight years so it is with Trump with however long he has. GETTING BACK TO THE SUBJECT!!! I am not enthused about a time jump but if it works out great. Hopefully Nick and Jess get married or are married and have a baby. CeCe and Schmidt will probably already have two kids. I am glad New Girl is able to close out on a good note

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Try looking in the mirror, BF.

• geegee says:

No one is censoring Ausielo; its just so predictable, the incessant virtue-signaling of bashing Trump.

(…aaaand before you jump to any conclusions, I am not a USA citizen, I can’t give less cr4p about how Trump is treated if I try my hardest – and could easily say I abhor him for many more different reasons than most of the liberal-left I had seen so far from the USA side)

We get it, you hate Trump. You need everyone to know it, all the time, otherwise someone just might assume you are a Nazi. That’s what your political discourse had come down to – it’s ridiculous, and annoying; like you (on the left) literally have no other identity except the “woke, hate Trump, bla bla” one and basically nothing else to do but repeat it even in the most inappropriate and silly context, like a tv show’s time jump news item.

Just wow.

And FFS, Ausielo knows people in TV, he should ask them to write him some better “jokes”, because the time jump remark, boy was that weak.

• Rob says:

Why would he worry about offending idiots? Besides, slamming Trump is now an international daily event for most people. Why should Ausiello not get to join in the fun and games?

• Walkie says:

I’m sure TVLine is fine with losing Trump supporters as visitors to the site. Supporting someone who committed Treason isn’t something to be proud.

• Gospino says:

If you think that saying the season will take place after Trump’s first (possibly only) term is a “slam,” you’re a real baby. That’s a very mild comment.

• Tom says:

Why precisely should they? You realize the current president is horrible yes?

8. Kristina says:

Hmmm…as much as I’m glad for more episodes, I feel like this season’s finale wrapped things up really nicely and left everyone in a good place, so I’m a little worried next season will mess it all up :/

9. Boiler says:

This idea seems sort of dumb to me and I am a long time fan. I suppose it is for timing of Jess and Nick’s wedding. It is nice it is coming back and I am surprised it is not for a full season as it does better than others they are bringing, see Last Man on Earth. Networks continue to make poor decisions, in my opinion, and FOX and ABC seem to be at the top this year. For the most part quality of new shows is going down.

• Will says:

According to deadline the show was originally going to get a 13 episode order but it turned out some cast members wouldn’t be able to start filming until the fall and Fox didn’t have room for the show at mid season. Liz Merriweather gave them her pitch and they liked it enough to rearrange the schedule for them. So if anything, the network did what it could to give the fans and the crew closure

• I actually agree i mean its taking away from the storyline i mean they didnt even show winston and allys wedding i mean why would he propose if they werent going to actually show the wedding and also why would announce cece is pregnant if they werent going to show her going into labor

10. Marissa L says:

I was actually rooting for a one year time jump, so I’m pretty happy with this news. I’m a little surprised by the idea of jumping ahead THREE years….. but I dig it. I think seeing Schmidt and Cece with a toddler (or multiple kiddos!) will be even funnier than them dealing with a newborn. And this way, assuming Jess & Nick will be together for the rest of the show’s run, this will allow them a more realistic timeline if they decide to progress with their engagement or a pregnancy….. one of which is probably the major milestone they refer to. The only thing I’m bummed about is we’ll probably miss out on seeing Winston & Aly’s wedding.

• Kay says:

I agree with everything you said here. I was rooting for a time-jump, too. We don’t need another pregnancy storyline on TV, and it will be hilarious to see Schmidt in the throes of parenthood. Hopefully, they’ll do a flashback of some kind to Winston and Aly’s wedding, because I’d love to see that, too.

• Azerty says:

Well maybe Winston and Ally won’t get married before 3 years. The best course for me would be to open with Ally/Winston’s wedding in the season premiere and close with Jess/Nick wedding in the serie’s finale.

• Marissa L says:

I’m actually really hoping for Jess to find out she’s pregnant, even more so than a Jess/Nick wedding. (That might be because I’VE been trying to conceive for awhile, so that’s where my head’s at, lol.) But I feel like Jess has wanted a baby for years, so even if they’re not married yet, I’d love for her and Nick to find out they’re expecting in the finale, knowing their relationship is stable and will eventually marry down the road when they’re ready. :)

11. lee says:

I’m ok with this actually. I hope they sprinkle it with some “flashbacks” of things that took place during the 3 years

12. Candace says:

I really hope they give us a flashback to Winston and Aly’s wedding. That’s the one thing I wanted to see next season.

13. Kelli says:

I bet Schmidt is fat again. lol

14. Tom says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this because of my general disdain for heterosexual pairings, but they better not rob people of the Nick/Jess wedding is all I’m saying

15. Calasade says:

Show already is over me. The last season was enough, too much of which sucked.