Fall TV Preview
Fox Fall Trailers 2017 Reactions The Orville

Fox Trailers: Our Knee-Jerk Reactions to Seth MacFarlane's Sci-Fi Spoof Orville, LA to Vegas and More New Shows

Fox on Monday unveiled its fall 2017 schedule, along with previews for its upcoming series, including Seth MacFarlane space farce Orville and the X-Files-esque Ghosted, starring Adam Scott and Craig Robinson.

Here at TVLine, we immediately jumped at the chance to screen each trailer — which you can also do by clicking here — and we’re ready to divulge our totally unfiltered, brutally honest snap judgments. (The Gifted trailer, which was released on Sunday, can be found here.)

Below, Michael Ausiello, Matt Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Vlada Gelman and Ryan Schwartz share their gut reactions to each new series based on the first footage released by the network, then turn it over to you to tell us whether you agree or disagree with our pithy reviews.

Now, keep in mind: The following trailers are just the very first glimpse we get of a series and are often not wholly indicative of quality. As such, don’t take the following analysis to mean the series below will necessarily be good or bad. Previews can be deceiving — and we’ve all been fooled before.

Keep scrolling to see how Team TVLine reacted to each respective preview…

GHOSTED (Sunday at 8:30/7:30c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | My gut told me Adam Scott and Craig Robinson would ooze chemistry and this trailer that my gut was correct.
ROOTS | My X-Files-loving heart weirdly got all defensive — “Stop making fun of Mulder’s quest!” — but yeah, it looks funny.
SWIFT |Maybe I’m being too literal, but I counted zero ghosts in that entire trailer. (Also, I’m kind of secretly hoping this show tanks, no matter how good it is, so we can get more of Adam Scott on The Good Place.)
SCHWARTZ | If it were possible, I’d have already set my DVR. It’s going to take awhile, though, to get used to seeing Adam Scott without a beard again, post-Big Little Lies.

THE GIFTED (Monday at 9/8c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | I have some concerns about casting (as well as what the “Smippys” are in vending machine), but I’m probably in. Bonus points for getting the X-Men reference out of the way!
ROOTS | Wait, I thought they already revived Heroes?
SWIFT | If we’re comparing it to other Marvel shows — and, hey, why not? — I’d say this looks infinitely better than ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but not nearly as creative as FX’s Legion. Consider me cautiously optimistic.
NEMETZ | I’m intrigued. Lots of whiz-bang special effects in this new drama about a ragtag band of mutant kids, and digging into the kids’ true feelings of alienation could set it apart from TV’s current comic-book glut.

LA TO VEGAS (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | Covering as it does the same flight route with new passengers every episode, I’m gonna say it: This could be the new Love Boat. And that’s a good thing.
ROOTS | Ed Weeks has really been typecast as “Character who has random sex with lead female in series pilot,” eh, Mindy Project fans?
SWIFT | That is the most spacious airplane bathroom I have ever seen — and that’s all I have to say about that.
GELMAN | It’s fun to see Dylan McDermott playing against type, but I will never find jokes about an airplane pilot drinking before a flight funny.

THE ORVILLE (Thursday at 9/8c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | A Star Trek spoof? With Adrianne Palicki?? Oh Fox, I may forgive you for axing Pitch just yet. (Not really.)
SWIFT | I was never a Trekkie, but this show looks more my speed. In fact, I dare say Seth MacFarlane might have finally redeemed himself after cursing the world with Dads.
NEMETZ | Sci-fi comedies are totally my jam, but the laughs on this one seem to be lost in space. Plus, Seth MacFarlane as an actor is comedy antimatter.
GELMAN | I now have a strong desire to rewatch Galaxy Quest.

Reisdent Fox Drama NewTHE RESIDENT (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO I’m going to need confirmation from Fox in writing that Emily VanCamp’s role will be beefed up considerably as the series progresses.
MITOVICH | A primo case of “Can stars that we like elevate otherwise humdrum medical drama material?”
GELMAN | I’m already a medical show junkie. You add in Matt Czuchry and Emily VanCamp, and I’m definitely watching.
SCHWARTZ | Finally, a decent looking medical drama that won’t require me to keep tabs on four different shows about Chicago! (The trailer itself needs about 85 percent more Emily VanCamp, though.)

1. Ben says:

This is one of the most interesting bunches of new shows out there, but also with huge variability.

I can only imagine that ‘Ghosted’ will be great given that Craig Robinson and Adam Scott are fantastic. I also hope this show being on Fox means Robinson can still be Doug Judy once a year. Very optimistic about this one.

The Orville reminded me that Galaxyquest was supposed to be a TV Series (seems like it died with Alan Rickman). I love the idea in practice, but I’m guessing I’ll be turned off by MacFarlane humour in practice. I’ll wait and see. I will love this show if it manages to go for sophisticated humour instead of lowest common denominator.

LA to Vegas just feels soapy, in a way that very few shows are these days. I don’t need to see bad soaps, but good soaps can be a great guilty pleasure. If this is the new Love Boat, I agree that could be a great thing. Can’t help but feel that it will get written off by the public before it starts and it’s one and done, though.

Then there’s the Gifted. I’m not sure how it could be ‘infinitely better than SHIELD’ (I think I just broke up with Andy Swift), but Marvel shows have so far completely exceeded the DC shows in terms of quality in my opinion, so I’m looking forward to seeing if this one manages the tradition too.

The fact that I’m intrigued by four out of five feels like a good sign to me.

2. DV says:

I’m really hoping LA to Vegas is like the old British show “Mile High”. Loved that show. Also, one of your writers needs to clutch their pearls a little less.

3. Kevin Tran says:

Really hope The Gifted is going to be an amazing series and the trailer is anything but amazing.

4. Pat says:

I need confirmation the show is going to be good. That’s all. And good luck to Matt Czuchry since that’s his first leading role. Well deserved.

5. David Hambly says:

Ghosted: looks dreadful.
    The Orville: looks funny,ill give it a shot.
    LA to Vegas: awful,except for the blonde flight attendant who was funny.i’d like to see her on a better show.
    The Gifted: INTRIGUING TRAILER,but parenting superhuman kids seems like a limited premise.
    The resident: another boring medical procedural.

• Ally Oop says:

Not a procedural hopefully. People, it’s time you learn the difference between a procedural drama and a serial drama. Procedural=Case of the week, formulaic situations that are usually resolved by an episode’s end. Episodes tend to be standalone, that is, a viewer could watch one episode mid season and still understand the story. Serial=Ongoing character storylines across seasons or a series. More focus on characters developing and changing. Situations in an episode serve to move the larger story.

• Lucy says:

I doesn’t sound like a procedural at all. There are clearly some story-arcs set up and some strong characters’ dynamics. So right now I’m fully invested.

6. J.Norman says:

Huh??

An LA to Las Vegas flight is about 35 minutes. I know, I’ve flown it many times (as a passenger). There is barely enough time to push a coffee tray through the cabin once.

i can’t believe anyone believes that they can get anything close to enough legitimate plots on this to last more 2 episodes..

This has major bomb written all over it.

• Ben says:

I assume it tracks what they do on their entire weekend in Vegas (it starts with going over Friday night, and ends with coming back Sunday night, or something like that).

7. datdudemurphy says:

I’m glad that you guys are hopeful about these….but I kinda feel like I must have seen different trailers.

8. Santiago says:

I’m definitely anxious to watch The Orville, Ghosted and The Gifted.
    Supernatural and sci-fi comedies sound great for me. Hope they have good scripts. What I hate about modern comedies is that they can’t make a decent joke. Many movies and sitcoms have poor scripts with jokes that lasts like 5 minutes making you lose interest.
    The Gifted. Well I love X-men but not all of the movies. I adore Legion and I hope this one is good at least.

9. kmw says:

Orville is a dead show walking given the night it is on. And any fan of The Residents actors well since this show isn’t on in the fall I doubt it will last long no matter where they put it

10. T.W.S.S. says:

“Infinitely better than ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” Okay, Mr. swift. Okay.

11. Piers says:

So, The Good Doctor is Max from Parenthood meets Doogie Howser?

12. mjweir0317 says:

So basically what you are saying is that if it’s on Fox you like it. Did I get that about right?

13. Haz says:

I like Robinson and Scott so I will give Ghosted a shot and that’s about it. I am hoping they bring in another female other than Walker.

As for MacFarlanes show..if this is anything like Ted 2 or Million Ways, I’ll pass.

I hope The Gifted is kept separate from Legion, X-Men film series, and New Mutants. After the way Apcolypse turned out the franchise needs to just start over. Only crossover I might enjoy is if they brought Paquin back as Rogue but I highly doubt they will.

14. Jason says:

The Orville had better be good, since it’s probably the reason Adrianne Palicki hasn’t been back to Agents of Shield.

15. Steve F. says:

“I’d say this looks infinitely better than ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D…” WHAT? YOU DARE?!? Them’s fighting words, Mr. Swift!

As for the trailers, I gotta give The Gifted and The Orville a chance (especially as we get Adrianne Palicki on TV, barring any more appearances on AOS).

16. dude says:

Ghosted: Love the concept, love the cast, underwhelmed by the trailer.

The Gifted: Intrigued enough to check out the pilot but feels like we’ve seen this story about 10 too many times already.

The Orville: Was thoroughly entertained by the trailer and like the concept but it really just reminded me of Galaxy Quest and Galaxy Quest is the far superior product.

The Resident: Was on board as soon as Emily Van Camp signed on but the trailer looks legitimately good. It could use about 50% more EVC though and I do hope it’s more serialized than your average medical drama.

17. Ally Oop says:

For me, I think the only one I’m really excited for is The Resident. I might check out Young Sheldon though for curiosity sake but I doubt I’ll stick with it.

18. Cynthia says:

I normally don’t enjoy comedies very much, but Ghosted looks hilarious.
    The Gifted I am ready to watch bc I love Amy Acker.

19. I agree on the resident. I hope they give Emily more to do that being the love interest.

Idk if I can ever trust FOX after cancelling Pitch, though.

20. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Orville is not a Star Trek spoof. It’s a Galaxy Quest spoof, which spoofed Star Trek. Big difference.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, because Galaxy Quest was about the cast of a TV series; this is spoofing an actual space exploration show.