Nashville Season 6

Nashville Ups 'Zach' to Series Regular

Nashville‘s lovelorn Will Lexington may singing a different tune when the CMT drama returns next month.

Cameron Scoggins — aka Will’s current squeeze Zach Welles — has been upgraded to a full-fledged series regular. His promotion, which kicks in with Season 5’s midseason premiere on Thursday, June 1 at 9/8c, all but confirms that The Powers That Be are making a commitment to Will and Zach as a couple.

In other Nashville news, newcomer Odessa Adlon has been cast in the recurring role of Liv, a vulnerable teen runaway who has ditched a bad situation to live on the streets among a loose collection of other runaway teens.

Nashville‘s first episode back takes place 10 weeks after Rayna’s big farewell in the midseason finale. As previously reported, The O.C.‘s Rachel Bilson and Empire‘s Kaitlin Doubleday will join the cast in the back half of the season, though not much is known about their characters. Jeff Nordling (Big Little Lies) also will recur as Brad Maitland, the charming, egotistical owner of Nashville’s most successful record label.

“There is most definitely life after Rayna, that’s for sure,” showrunner Marshall Herskovitz declares. “And yet, we never forget her. She’s sort of a presence in each of the episodes, because that’s what happens in life.”

1. Phil says:

I like this decision. His character was added in organically, and I like the way they didn’t lead with the Will relationship. Was he annoying in his last episode? Absolutely, but I blame the plot. Highway 65’s money troubles have never made any sense.

Now, let’s just hope Chris Carmack stops getting sidelined out of episodes! Will was barely in three straight episodes. Definitely my favorite character on the show.

2. JM says:

Another teen runaway? Are they forgetting about the young homeless woman (Vita) who lived in her car that mysteriously disappeared and left Rayna devastated? Can we resolve this?

3. Pia says:

Ugh. He annoyed me.

4. Alex Breakaway says:

No, I really missed Kyle Dean Massey, they were such a cute couple. I was hoping he’d be back

5. Keri says:

Ugh! Zach is one of the main reasons I’ve stopped watching Nashville. I can’t bear that character. He is obnoxious, annoying and so immature. A horrible match for Will. Honestly I don’t know what Will even sees in him. Kevin was infinitely better for Will. Bring back Kevin!!!

6. Laura Bailey says:

I doubt that I will make an effort to watch Nashville anymore. I watched it mainly because of Connie Britton.

• Iakovos says:

I too will miss Connie Britton and Rayna James very much, Laura Bailey. I am hoping for a strong dramatic series focused on the music. the new showrunners know quality television. I have loved everything they have offered us on TV, especially THIRTYSOMETHING and ONCE AND AGAIN. Appreciate NASHVILLE’s turn away from the shock-and-awe approach of storytelling to one celebrating humanity. But yes, I wish Rayna was still with us.

• Elizabeth says:

I think they make great TV as well and points for watching Once and Again. I loved that show taken off the air way before it’s time!

7. abz says:

Teen runaway? Seriously? I mean what is it with casting of all these new characters no one is asking for. I’m happy they made Zach a series regular and I’m hopeful, but this show has always treated Will’s character like crap. He’s not even important enough to them to have a storyline each episode like other characters and sometimes you can go more than one episode without seeing his character. I know he’s only a secondary character, but sometimes I wish his relationships got similar time and devotion like Juliet/Avery or Raina/Deacon got. Even Scarlett now has two men she’s juggling and the endless and annoying back and forth drama with Gunner. These new writers couldn’t even let us enjoy Will and Kevin’s relationship after they finally got together again before they finally broke them up. I hope they treat Will/Zach better. I’d much rather watch their relationship unfold than Maddie/Clay. Is anyone out there really asking for more Maddie? Does anyone care about plots like Daphne’s school crush? These writers need to prioritize.

8. Edith says:

Would the movie continues i really love the show

9. Robert R says:

I’m so happy Kaitlin Doubleday is joining the cast. I loved her on Empire

• Elizabeth says:

I loved her on empire as well they never should have killed her off. Prolly the worst decision empire ever made