Fall TV Preview

NBC Fall Schedule: This Is Us Relocates to Will & Grace-Led Thursday, Blindspot and The Blacklist Also on the Move

NBC is the first broadcast network to unveil its schedule for the 2017-18 TV season, and the big news on the returning-show front is the Peacock’s decision to shift breakout hit This Is Us from Tuesdays-at-9 to Thursdays-at-9. In its new slot, it will follow returning Must-See vet Will & Grace (at 8 pm) and the Tina Fey-produced sophomore comedyGreat News (at 8:30 pm). [UPDATE: Not so fast! NBC has changed its mind and is keeping This Is Us on Tuesday — get full details.]

“Our hope is to create the return of Must-See TV on Thursday,” said NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt in a conference call with reporters on Sunday. “We really wanted to go after Thursday in a big way.” Greenblatt confirms that the actual Must-See branding will return this fall. And as previously reported, Will & Grace‘s episode count has been increased to 12. The exec also revealed that Fey will make several guest appearances on Great News this fall.

Former Thursday staple The Blacklist will move into the Wednesday lead-off position, while Superstore and The Good Place will head to Tuesdays.

Also of note: Blindspot will relocate to Fridays at 8 pm, where it will be paired with second-year drama Taken; and new military drama The Brave has scored the cushy post-Voice perch on Mondays.

Regarding the fate of remaining bubble series Chicago Justice and Trial & Error, Greenblatt said decisions on those will be made in the coming days and (possibly) weeks. Also the buzzy Casey Wilson-Busy Phillips comedy pilot The Sackett Sisters is not dead. Said Greenblatt: “We have’t definitively said no” to picking it up.

On tap for midseason or later: Returning series Chicago Med (airing Thursdays once L&O: True Crime‘s eight-episode run ends), Shades of Blue and Timeless, and the new scripted series RISE, A.P. BIO, GOOD GIRLS, CHAMPIONS and REVERIE.

All told, the NBC schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm The Voice
10 pm THE BRAVE (WATCH TRAILER)

TUESDAY
8 pm The Voice
9 pm Superstore (new time slot)
9: 30 pm The Good Place (new time slot)
10 pm Chicago Fire

WEDNESDAY
8 pm The Blacklist (new time slot)
9 pm Law & Order: SVU
10 pm Chicago P.D.

THURSDAY
8 pm  WILL & GRACE
8:30 Great News (new time slot)
9 pm This Is Us (new time slot)
10 pm LAW & ORDER TRUE CRIME: THE MENENDEZ MURDERS (WATCH TRAILER)

FRIDAY
8 pm Blindspot (new time slot)
9 pm Taken (new time slot)
10 pm Dateline

SATURDAY
8 pm Dateline Mysteries
10 pm Saturday Night Live (encores)

SUNDAY
7 pm Football Night in America
8:20 pm NBC Sunday Night Football

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Aquarius, The Blacklist: Redemption, Grimm and Powerless

1. Not bad, but Taken seems odd to renew it and then put it on Friday nights?!?

2. fiberlicious says:

moving Blacklist and airing it at 8:00 will kill it. DON’T DO IT, NBC!!!

3. Douglas from Brazil says:

Good Lord, a lot of moves, horrible schedule.

4. “Our hope is to create the return of Must-See TV on Thursday,”

It’ll be interesting to see how it will compete with ABC’s TGIT night. I have no doubt with the loss of two Shonda shows that Will & Grace and This is Us will win the night for NBC.

• Miranda says:

Two shows? Scandal still has one more season.

• Sorry, that’s what I meant, once Scandal is gone it’ll be interesting to see how long TGIT will continue. I know Shonda has other shows in the pipeline but will they hold the same weight as Greys, Scandal and HTGAWM…

• T says:

How much does that even matter very much anymore?- I watch Scandal, HTGAWM and This is Us. I never watch anything live anymore even if I am watching TV at the time it is on. So they can be on the same night and I still will watch them

5. And (unless ABC move it) Scandal will take a hit from This is Us, not that it matters much for Scandals final season!

6. zackkattackk843 says:

Thursday is such a dull night for me, so moving This Is Us to Thursdays is great!!

7. tom says:

yikes i don’t think i like this

8. Larry says:

So I take it a decision onThe Carmichael Show will take place after its Season 3?

9. Kevin Tran says:

Blacklist moving to Wednesdays @ 8. This is Us moving to Thursdays @ 9 and Blindspot moving to Fridays @ 8? That’s really something.

10. Bill says:

Really surprised about Blacklists move to 8 pm

• Catherine says:

Yes! Isn’t Blacklist too violent for 8 PM? Friends said they​ had to tone down the sexuality because of their 8 PM time slot.

11. Fran says:

How about Chicago Med?

12. Cyn says:

Big mistake (most likely) moving This Is Us to Thursdays, opposite of already established, and popular Greys Anatomy and Scandal.

• Chris says:

Already established it aging shows that are losing viewers, it might actually work out as a really good move that ends up killing abc this day lineup.

• I will be watching this is us a long with others I know and my mama and Hubby we don’t even watch scandal or grey’s anatomy

13. What about Chicago Med? I don’t like The Blacklist move at all. Looks like NBC is looking to kill it. Needs to remain on Thursday or go back to Monday’s.

14. Dennis says:

Ummmmm.
    That’s a weird schedule.
    If it’s not broken don’t fix it, the move for T’his Is Us’ is worrisome, even though it’s already been renewed for season 3.

I’m not happy about that scheude at all.

• TMJ says:

This Is us suffered on Tuesdays because of the constant pre-emptions for the intermittent two hour Voice shows. I would have moved it to Wednesdays at 9:00pm, and moved SVU back to 10:00pm where it belongs.

• TMJ says:

Chicago Med could air at 9:00pm on Thursdays, followed by Chicago P.D. It would make the two hour crossovers run more logically.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

CHICAGO MED is replacing TRUE CRIME once it is over, as noted above.

• Dennis says:

Thanks for all the info, Matt!

• TMJ says:

I got that. I was just suggesting a better schedule. The most violent or adult themed shows are L&O: SVU, Blacklist, and Blindspot. All really belong in 10:00pm slots. Chicago Med would seem more appropriate at 8:00pm or 9:00pm than any of those three.

• kmw says:

How did it suffer. It constantly rose( maybe it went down a bit two or three times) but mostly went up and after awhile it was beating The Voice with its demo something NBC hadn’t had with any show after it. Yes it got interrupted but always came back from that. This is Us will do fine on Thursday

15. Tennisnsun says:

Feels like NBC is aiming to skewer Shondaland on Thursdays. I won’t give up Greys for Will and Grace but bye bye sagging Scandal in favor of quality time with This is Us.

16. Staci says:

Do we know if Chicago Med will have a full season since it’s midseason?

17. Ryan Serowinski says:

Just let the network play weekly movie presentations on Saturdays at 8:00pm, instead

18. msuehale says:

Excuse me. Did NBC executives use a dartboard and throw darts with the names of the shows on them for the dates and times????

19. Rob says:

So they thought holding on onto Rise for mid season and not pairing it with This is Us was smart because….?

20. Cobra says:

Does this mean Med is only a half season?
    And what does this mean for Justice which isn’t mentioned at all?

21. Mike says:

what about the The Night Shift when will that be airing

22. Eric says:

Great, now I have a full night of TV on Friday withTaken, Blindspot, Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods

23. TMJ says:

I don’t understand their thinking. “Blindspot” and “Blacklist” are both too violent for the 8:00pm hour. Both seem like 10:00pm shows to me. NBC seems to be stuck with too many 10:00pm shows, yet they are running comedies from 9:00pm to 10:00pm. Huh?

24. Haz says:

In regards to The Sackett Sisters I wouldn’t hold my breath. This is the same line of crap Greenblatt pushed about the Cruel Intentions pilot and we see how that worked out.

25. Angela says:

Argh, I might have to wait days or weeks to find out about “Trial & Error”? C’mon, NBC…

26. Michael says:

I do t see Trial and Error anywhe Re, Ian guessing it’s been cancelled, it was such a funny funny show

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Regarding the fate of remaining bubble series Chicago Justice and Trial & Error, Greenblatt said decisions on those will be made in the coming days and (possibly) weeks.”

27. J.Norman says:

I don’t think the Will and Grace reboot will be nearly as successful as NBC seems to think.

TBBT is still in that spot for much of the year. and that slot in general is very established.

Time will tell if NBC jumped the gun or not with the move of This is Us

• Yolanda says:

It will be successful that’s for sure but I’m not sure it’s 8:00 PM show. It should have been at 9:00 PM. It’s gonna have the same ratings as TBBT or slightly smaller but it’s definitely gonna be success for NBC.

• ericvrodgers says:

By the time ‘Will & Grace’ was in the tail end of its eighth season, it had migrated to the 8 p.m. (Eastern) slot. So, the precedent has already been established.

28. Joey Padron says:

Hope The Blacklist will do well at a earlier time on Wednesday nights. I’ll have to DVR it when Arrow returns in October. This Is Us will do well on Thursday nights. Bummer Rise won’t premiere until next year. Hope NBC release will trailer for it. It’s one of new shows I’m looking forward to see.

29. ourglife.com says:

Can’t wait for the return of will and grace

30. Greg Chenoweth says:

Absolutely idiotic to move THIS IS US to Thursdays. I’ll watch the ratings tank in the fall just like BLINDSPOT’s did and THE BLACKLIST.

• c-mo says:

Totally disagree, this is the perfect time to move TIU to Thursday. Scandal has been hemorraging viewers for several seasons now and since the audience is probably the same, they’ll just switch from ABC to NBC. I agree with the commenter above who said that Shonda is probably really pissed…heeheehee!

31. Tim says:

WOW That is a lot of shows moving around. Only shows that stayed is
    Chicago Fire
    Chicago PD
    The voice
    Law and Order SVU

32. awebb002 says:

I can’t believe that crappy Superstore is still on and yet Timeless was in question!

• KCatty says:

Superstore is one of my favorite comedy series ever. Must be so difficult going through life with such a deficient sense of humor.

See how that works?

33. ribbie149 says:

The only NBC show I will be watching next fall is The Blacklist. What unimaginative crap…

34. ninergrl6 says:

Does this mean the Saturday Night (really) Live for the whole country experiment isn’t happening next season?

35. Jim J. says:

They put the “Will & Grace” revival up against “The Big Bang Theory”. Be prepared for a “Battle of the Cuties”: Karen Walker vs. Bernadette Rostenkowski.

• c-mo says:

Team Bernadette…I don’t have to listen to Bernie’s annoying voice as much as we will be “treated” to Karen’s.

36. Gail says:

Obviously NBC wants the Blacklist to fail..seriously it is on at 8:00 at night..how interesting they now want 10 yr olds as fans to watch murders..poor judgment on NBC.

37. With all of its violence, I’m surprised to see The Blacklist at 8:00.

38. ella jasper says:

Please renew Chicago Justice!

39. KM13 says:

It’s bad enough that Blindspot is now on Fridays. But 7 p.m. (where I live)? Come on. I thought it was stupid to move it to 8 p.m. Clearly NBC wants it dead, but doesn’t have the guts (or maybe the filler pilot) to kill it now.

40. JJ says:

Where is RISE? That was one of the few new shows I was looking forward to!!!

41. Cecelia Noviello says:

Really….you have to put all the really great shows on Thursday night!!!!! Thanks a lot,Greys Anatomy has been one of my favorite Thursday night shows,~now I have to On Demand shows,put This is Us back on Tuesday where it did really really well,its such a great show,you dont need to move it ~

42. What Hollywood does not seem to know is that not everyone is on eastern Standard time. Some of the things that are on 7:00 CST are not suitable for small children or even not so small children.

• Rachel says:

This. Blind spot at 7 pm was awful. My kids are still up then and I always had to change the channel. Timeless and blind spot should have switched.

43. kmw says:

I am not really that concerned about This is Us. it proved it could be on its own and Scandal isn’t as strong as it used to be. But Blacklist at 8? That is a mistake and you can say goodbye to Blindspot and Taken for sure now that they are on Friday. Not sure that I liked what they did with Tuesday but maybe it will work out

44. Ryan says:

How can take black list off the sir it has such good ratings

45. Jo B. says:

I’m sorry – but wtf NBC? First you cancel Timeless…then you un-cancel it. Then you still have not made a decision about Chicago Justice. You renew the zombie of a TV show that is SVU and ratings loser Taken…then you move This is Us in its very ratings-able time slot – then you put Chicago Med for MID EFFIN’ SEASON so that Law & Order thingy with the Menendez brothers could be aired…I love my Law & Order but dang, not this. Save things like these for A&E and their cold case/forensic files. NBC – what have you been smoking because seriously this is a crap schedule and crap choices to boot! GRRRRRRRR…….

46. dsrbroadway says:

Wow. W&G against Grey’s and Big Bang Theory? This Is Us moving to Thursdays at 9pm and against Scandal? Ballsy.

47. Wow….NBC has just given up on putting anything worthwhile on Saturdays…..

48. Patricia Flynn-Williams says:

I really hated to lose “Grimm”. When it first started, I thought it was completely goofy but it rapidly grew on me and I never missed an episode.

49. Cynthia says:

I’ll still watch Blacklist on Fridays but I hope that doesn’t hurt it’s chances for season renewal.

50. Lisa Echerd says:

No, No, No! We do not need yet another thing to watch on Thursday at 9. Scandal may have gone way downhill but it is the last season and since it is ABC and I can’t watch online for days after it airs, I’ll watch Scandal and catch This is Us later. Also I’ll watch Mom later. Why do the networks need to create competition for their shows. Why split the viewers? Put This is Us on another night, like Monday, and own the night.