The Great Indoors Cancelled CBS

The Great Indoors Cancelled at CBS

It’s one season and out for The Great Indoors: CBS has cancelled the freshman comedy, TVLine has confirmed.

The generation-gap sitcom, starring Joel McHale as a rugged reporter for an outdoor-living magazine who’s forced to contend with a staff full of smartphone-addicted millennials, got off to a solid ratings start when it debuted last October to 8.8 million viewers and a 1.9 rating in the key 18-49 demo. In fact, it did well enough to earn a full-season pickup in November, and then additional episodes in January, bringing its freshman run to a total of 22 episodes.

But those early numbers were deceiving, since Indoors was airing on Thursdays behind CBS’ juggernaut The Big Bang Theory. The freshman comedy fared significantly worse when it moved to Mondays, away from Big Bang: The May 1 airing drew just 4.1 million viewers and a 0.8 demo rating.

Along with McHale, the Great Indoors cast included Susannah Fielding as McHale’s boss/former fling, Stephen Fry as the magazine’s founder and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Christine Ko and Shaun Brown as the magazine’s young, tech-savvy staffers.

Are you mourning the loss of The Great Indoors? Pay tribute to the one-and-done comedy in a comment below.

1. Angela says:

Figured this was coming :/. I did like the cast a lot, at least, so hopefully they can show up on other things in the future.

2. Master_K says:

Queue the #andamovie chants now! Community movie needs to happen!

• Ron says:

I’m chanting it now. This just freed up Joel. Ken Jeong’s show was just cancelled. Danny Pudi’s show was just cancelled. I don’t know if ‘The Odd Couple’ has been officially cancelled yet, but if not, it’s unofficial cancelled, which frees up Yvette. There’s most of the cast right there. So yeah, I need that movie.

3. Brock says:

It wasn’t a strong show. I’d much rather a Cher 2 Broke Girls season.

• Haz says:

I really don’t think that would have happened. Cher was supposed to be filming a Lifetime movie based on Flint this summer and dropped out of it due to family issues.

4. El S Boy says:

Good !

5. Lyndy says:

I watched all the episodes because of Joel McHale…it wasn’t the strongest comedy, the millennials were unbearable. Oh well but still much better than superior donuts!

• Jim says:

yah I agree, the millennials were unbearable. Christopher Mintz was grossly misused in a character that didnt really fit him at all. Hope Christine Ko will be cast in a great show!

• jbj says:

Yeah, Christine Ko was the only actor, besides Joel and Stephen (who only get passes based on their past work) I felt was interesting and not completely annoying. I would watch her in other things. CMP was pretty annoying, but he did at least make me giggle on occasion.

It’s unfortunate that the writing and chemistry were so flat, because I’m of an age that straddles both sides, so I was prepared to embrace the message.

6. David says:

Sad but not surprised. Writing was a C+ at best and the cast needed more chemistry. Laughs did not come easy. Maybe if the show found it’s groove halfway things would be different. Oh well I have the show on iTunes anyway :)

7. Eli says:

First cancellation this season that hurts. (Second if you count Timeless, but that was reversed)

8. Crap like “Last Man Standing” lasts for years yet THIS excellent show gets cancelled after one season.

Yes, the networks have some real idiots rearing their heads sometimes. This and “Powerless” should have EASILY gotten second seasons.

• E. D. Boddy says:

You’re going for irony there, right?

• Tyler says:

this was one of the best shows on tv. The amount of satire is awesome and the writing was incredible. If you don’t think this show is funny you might not be smart enough to get it. No the production level wasnt super high/polished but the interactions between the characters were hilarious.

• TV Gord says:

That;s adorable. If this comment were here in the room with me right now, I would pat it on the head.

• Terrence says:

Wrong again, as usual. It wasn’t that people weren’t smart enough to “get it”, you were just dumb enough to laugh.

• Chantal Currie says:

It showed how Millenials I know I work with them. This show really was Every Day Now and I believe that is why it was canceled. Many people can related to the Lead Character Joel Old School but most of us Understand Him and feel that way about Millenials and their phones and lack of many life ss skills.

9. TV Gord says:

I don’t usually root for a show’s cancellation, but both McHale and Fry deserve to be in something better than this drivel. I’m more than a little shocked that either of them settled for this show.

10. Jko says:

My 3rd show to be cancelled after Redemption and Emerald City but I knew these were coming and was mentally ready for the loss. I think CBS is the worst channel tho, they switched nights for this regularly with little to know ad, half the time no previews, and lots of breaks with no return dates given, same for their other shows.

• Kristin Vizzard says:

Exactly! I actually loved this show the few times I could find it. I had no idea it was moved to Monday, it just disappeared.

11. Angel Choy says:

That is the worst decision CBS did

12. mltwfuture says:

This makes me sad. The sarcasm and humor was great in this show.

• Allison says:

That’s how I feel. I started watching this show about halfway through the season and found myself actually really liking it. I had read the previews when the season started which were all pretty bad but I decided to give it a shot and I liked it. I actually laughed a lot during most episodes. Was it award worthy comedy, no probably not but it was better than I had expected. I knew it was a long shot to get renewed at this point so i’m not totally surprised but it is still disappointing.

13. GuessWhat says:

not a good week for Community alum — that’s 3, right? this, Powerless and Dr. Ken.
    did I miss someone else?

14. Jim J. says:

I actually had no interest in “The Great Indoors”, and I would have only watched it for the scenes featuring Esther (the receptionist at the Outdoor Limits office). The name of the actress who played Esther is “Deborah Baker, Jr.”. Seriously, a girl’s name with a “Jr.” suffix, which always applies to men. Anyway, I have taken a liking to Deborah Baker, Jr. since first seeing her in the “Great Indoors” pilot, and I hope she gets something else.

15. mltwfuture says:

This makes me sad. The sarcasm and humor were great in this show. Ya it might not have been the strongest comedy but love Joel McHale.

16. Gary Cirincione says:

It was a great show these assholes move shows that are doing great to a different day and dropped ratings from put them in a different time slot against all the shows don’t know

17. Kevin Tran says:

Deeply saddened about the news. The cast is hilarious – Joel McHale (always liked him on Community) Stephen Fry and McLovin from Superbad.

18. Jon freeman says:

I related to the show…very similar to my work.

19. kmayne says:

I gave up on the show a few episodes in. I believed that if it had not had BBT lead in it would have tanked much sooner.

20. jericho says:

Not that is was unexpected, but its sad. Its the one CBS comedy that I watched more than 2 episodes of last year besides Mom. The Kevin and Joey shows were so horrible I still can’t believe tehy got picked up.

21. Anne says:

Joel McHale can do better

22. Hope Christine Ko gets much more exposure

23. beergas says:

Mixed feelings. Liked the humor but show seemed to wander. Didn’t seem to know what it wanted. I mean what a thin premise so all it had going was the writing and players who were just so indifferent about it all. Yes there were couple sparks like the receptionist bits. And that came to stand for what wasn’t such cleverness later. Let’s see what CBS comes up with next.

24. KLS says:

Was waiting for this announcement. This show was so unwatchable. I only looked at it briefly because of Stephen Fry. What a waste.

25. Arthur Cordero says:

Cant believe this show was cancelled but Kevin Can Wait was renewed. KCW is just bad. Great Indoors has its moments and McHale was great.

• Allison says:

Agreed. I gave KCW a chance at the beginning of the season but after about 3 episodes I just couldn’t stand it anymore, I didn’t find it that funny. The Great Indoors on the other hand I almost always thought was funny. Too bad

26. Mark says:

The series was wildly uneven at best. Some weeks were very funny, others were almost painful to watch. I decided to stick it out for the season, but I wasn’t planning to be back in the fall. Such a great premise that just didn’t pan out.

27. retsim says:

Not surprised as this was one of the mostly bad written shows and also rubbish acting .

28. steph says:

Noo… Somehow I really started to love it, the cast was good and had chemistry. I mean it’s not necessarily a great show, but definitely better than whatever else they call “comedies” on CBS, especially those stupid other freshman shows that all got early renewals for some unknown reason!

29. Dan Char says:

Hope to see Christine Ko again!

30. Kevin says:

This show getting cancelled hurts. I’d rather have another season of 2 Broke Girls but I’ll really miss this cast.

31. John says:

I liked the show, but it was flawed. Good actors in average to poor script.

32. Dawn says:

Sad that day show discontinued. I liked it a lot. The story line is different than anything out there now. I actually know many people that enjoys the show.

33. Chrissy says:

I was worried early on that it would be too much about the generation gap, but I think it got stronger as it went along. I’m going to miss it.

34. Sandra Diamond says:

Terrible show bring back Pure Genius

35. Theresa Hayden PhD abd says:

Love this sassy and smart Sitcom! There’s nothing on tv like it; interesting and on-point dialogue about the tech-addicted millenials. The contrast with the “30-something oldsters” are indignant, and rightly so. Keep it!

36. shawn719 says:

Maybe if they stop moving shows around so much and let them develope .This is why new shows dont last..Because people hate getting into a new show and next thing you know it is cancelled. So why watch a new show just to see it cancelled. If a great show like “Happy Endings” get cancelled then no show is ever safe.

37. Ben tosh says:

Nooooooooo this was / is one of the funniest show around. And yet big bang continues, even though it has become stale and totally soap-opera dreary.

38. Joe says:

Bring it back. It’s entertaining.

39. Zoey says:

I really liked this show, it made fun of the way teenagers act today. Also as a kid born in the 2000 it was fun to see the humor of how unconnected my generation really is. I kinda wish smart phones were nonexistent, and this show only made me wish that more. I think smart phones are useful yes, but also a little bit on what the show makes fun of is how the phones take over some people’s lives. I love the show for the promotion of sometimes being old-fashioned it is a refreshing thing to see.

40. Ted Wallace says:

I am sad to see the Great Indoors go, as an Kate’s 30’s guy contending with a bunch of 20 something’s at work I really identified with this show!

41. Fletcher says:

The Great Indoors was fast becoming my favorite show. I had no idea it had moved to Mondays, and now it’s not even on Demand. How disappointing! Sorry, but the donut show just doesn’t do it for me.

42. Ryan says:

I was a late fan of this show. Odd and quirky at first. Want sure about it. It really grew on me as I watched it. Sad to see good funny shows like this go and junk like everything on TLC stay. Good luck to the cast and hoor to see them again!

43. Joan Kawaguchi says:

I really liked the show, didn’t care for the character, but I liked the actors. I liked Joel McCale and Christie Ko. Too bad it was cancelled-there are not too many good shows on anymore.

44. Tony says:

I’m going to miss The Great Indoors. CBS new programs are going to suck badly. 9JKL, that is going to be stupid. Superior Donuts is stupid.