Blacklist Tom Returns Season 5

The Blacklist: Ryan Eggold to Rejoin Cast in Wake of Spinoff's Cancellation

Ryan Eggold is returning to The Blacklist, in the wake of its Redemption offshoot, on which he starred opposite Famke Janssen, getting cancelled after one season.

One of The Blacklist‘s original cast members, Eggold will return to the NBC drama as a series regular for its recently-ordered Season 5, continuing his role as Tom Keen, our sister site Deadline reports.

The Blacklist: Redemption was snuffed on Friday morning after averaging 4 million total viewers and a 0.8 demo rating across its eight-episode run, besting only Emerald City among NBC dramas. The mothership was taken off the renewal bubble on Thursday, having been granted a fifth season.

1. Ray says:

Well that won’t make for an awkward first day back at work or anything

2. ahmedimran1 says:

What about Scotty and Howard?

3. ndistops says:

Thank goodness. Taking a great character from the main show to launch a Red-less spinoff was always a silly idea.

4. Wrstlgirl says:

YAY!! Love him.

5. Lynn says:

Why do they insist on pushing this character? What don’t they get, the spinoff failed because most fans don’t care about him. The main show has finally gotten good again without him, as one review called it, without the dead weight. He was good in season one as the villain so if they want to turn him back into a bad guy fine but enough of him and Liz playing house, that’s not what this show is about. Bringing a child into the show was also a bad idea.

• jj says:

Tom is great and you don’t speak for anyone but yourself.

• Lynn says:

I speak for the many people who didn’t watch it and that’s why the spinoff failed and I’m not the one who called him dead weight a reviewer did, but it’s totally accurate.

• Wrstlgirl says:

That’s your opinion and we all have one. But to blame Redemption’s failure on one actor is ludicrous. That’s my opinion :-)

• Lynn says:

Well the show was completely based on his character so yes, I think Redemption’s failure is due to one character. I do say character even though you said actor. I have nothing against Eggold, it’s how they’ve made other character completely out of character and rewrote history on the main show just to accommodate this character that I don’t like. I mean one minute he’s a stone cold killer who gas lighted Liz for years then, then poof! Mr. Great guy like magic. Cooper cares so much about Liz but the next minute he’s officiating her marriage to the abuser? Yeah, ok. He’s also responsible for getting Meera killed but the rest of the team has just forgiven him for that? Let’s not forget Red, he lets Tom simply walk into the sunset? That scene where he tells him never to see Liz again, come on, he would have shot him right there. At that point Liz didn’t think she’d ever see him again so it’s not like she would’ve known so there is no argument he didn’t kill him because Liz loves him because she didn’t at that point.

• fightfan3 says:

They launched the show too late. Had the show started when The Blacklist was hot it would’ve had a good chance to well. eg. CSI:Miami launching to coincide with CSI’s 3rd season (2002).

• Wrstlgirl says:

fightfan3 that’s a very good point.

• Luciana Fonseca says:

Ryan is a great actor. In the wrong series. TK was great on s1. Over now. No place for him on TBL. Redemption was a ludicrous idea. Ryan deserves better. TBL is a goner if TO comes back.

• Lyndy says:

It was dumb to create a spin-off show off an already low rated show to begin with, it had nothing to do with Tom Keen. A Reviewer’s opinion is not in anyway superior, in actual fact most critics are always off the mark when it comes to reviewing shows IMO.

• Lynn says:

I do agree with that. Hey said they’ve been thinking about a spinoff since season two so I really don’t know what took them so long. Especially since this character has really no point since the end of season one. Bokenkamp, the exec producer, said it himself, that he is an odd character because doesn’t really fit on the show because he’s not an FBI agent and he’s not married to Liz anymore. They were going to kill him off at the end of season one but didn’t and now I guess I know why, spinoff. That’s why the reviewer said dead weight and it’s why I agree with it, this character doesn’t fit in the show and just drags the show down. It’s finally been good again the last few weeks without him, it feels more like season one, so of course they have to bring him back and drag it down again.

• Lyndy says:

I disagree…there are a lot of things wrong with TB but Tom Keen ain’t one of them…Even with Liz Keen, I find she’s more entertaining with her back and forth with Tom. The reason they did not kill Tom was because aside from Red, he is the next most exciting character they have developed on the show, whether you like his development or not….The show has done so much with Tom’s character something which they haven’t managed to do with the other supporting characters. Sorry to say but Ressler & crew are just so so at best. I’m glad he’ll be back on TB.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Agree, I find Ressler and crew boring. Red annoys the hell out of me so I’m always happy when someone, namely Tom, gets under his skin because he knows he can’t do anything about it because of Liz. Mr. Kaplan is what’s making these last few episodes so good. Even though I know Red will win in the end I’m enjoying watching somebody tear him apart. The Julian Gale character is hilarious.

• jj says:

Totally agree. He is the reason I stop watching Blacklist to begin with. His character is terrible as is the actor. (p.s. I am clearly not the same jj as above. We just happen to have the same nickname.)

• militantgod says:

I hope you realize that Redemption’s ratings weren’t that much off of the flagship. As someone else mentioned, they came out with the spinoff a few years too late. The Blacklist’s ratings have plummeted over the years. I laugh at the people who complain about Tom. What do you guys like the pathetically boring character Ressler?

• Lynn says:

I laugh at people who like Tom. What do you like, a killer, wife abuser who never once apologized to Liz and makes her look like an idiot? And no, actually I don’t “ship” her with anyone. God forbid a female character doesn’t have a man to depend on.

• Luciana Fonseca says:

Well said, Lynn. I have read that review. They hit the nail on the head. TK is a dead weight who is going to ruin s5 and end TBL as a consequence. Hope NBC has a saying on this.

• militantgod says:

So I guess Tony Soprano is out the window for you as an interesting character because he’s a killer. I guess Leland Palmer is trash too. Did you even read what I said? I don’t enjoy boring character’s. If there’s any character to complain about on TBL it’s Ressler. He’s what you put on when you want your kid to fall asleep. But oh he’s a swell, straight arrow type of guy so I guess that’s entertainment.

• JenJ says:

Totally agree. I love Tom on the Blacklist, and I didn’t care for the Redemption because I was not interested in seeing that whole convoluted plotline. It was ridiculous to have both Liz and Tom have questionable origins storylines, I hope they just drop that whole mess and get on with the Blacklist, which is must-see tv for me.

• Luciana Fonseca says:

There are more people here supporting Lynn. TK is a dead weight. Should have died on s1. Ryan is a great actor who deserves new opportunity. TBL is done with him.

• Wrstlgirl says:

The spin off was weak in terms of writing not casting. True a lot of fans don’t like Tom but a lot of fans do, he’s the main reason why I even bothered with Redemption.

• Agree!! The writing was horrible. No good plot lines to follow. I watched three episodes only because of Famke and Ryan. Too bad they weren’t given more to work with but having Tom’s mother come on to him, even if she didn’t know she was his mother, was too much to stomach.

• Anne says:

I really only care about Tom because he’s such an excellent source of drama for Liz and between her and Red

• TV Gord says:

I don’t think the problem was the presence of Tom; it was the absence of Red. I loved the spinoff, but even I felt the void left by James Spader, so I imagine others refused to watch because the show was Redless.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the internet age, it’s that there is a whole subsection of viewers who throw a hissy-fit when things don’t go PRECISELY their way on shows they claim ownership over (and let’s face it, nothing ever goes 100% our way on any show).

The one character I’m going to miss is Mr. Solomon. I hope we haven’t seen the last of him on The Blacklist.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Boy you got that right about the hissy fits. People get way to upset over a television show. Whiny babies IMHO.

• Lynn says:

I don’t think anyone here was whining. I stated my reasons why I don’t like Tom and he drags the show down. If you can’t deal with that without name calling it’s you that’s the whiny baby.

• Laurel Lane says:

Disagree with you completely. I missed Tom this entire season. It didn’t make sense to me that he’d leave with just having a baby daughter. I love his character.

• Luciana Fonseca says:

Agree with you 100%.

6. lyndy says:

I’m glad he’ll be back…that spin off was a dumb idea to begin with

7. Tomm Huntre says:

Hopefully the main cast of Redemption will show up on the mothership at some point to wrap up the story between Tom, Scotty and Howard.

8. Jko says:

Dammit. I liked the spinoff and quit the main show. Hopefully they wrap up Redemptions loose ends in an episode in s5 then I’ll tune in and check it out.

• DougMac says:

I was the same. The original show is a GD mess but the I kind of liked the spinoff. It had a clearer purpose and better focus. As good as Spader is, I can only watch the main show spin it’s wheels for so long before feeling like they don’t know what they’re doing

9. tw says:

Well. Yuck. Thought we were rid of him.

10. Kristina says:

Hope they give him something to do this season then. I liked the spinoff because Tom had an actual storyline for the first time in forever. It wasn’t exactly top notch writing though and even Eggold and Terry O’Quinn couldn’t save it. Would love to see them tie up the spinoff on The Blacklist.

11. Anne says:

Oh good. I prefer him on Blacklist.

12. I’m glad he’s back ! Redemption was not god and i watched only one episode but that has nothing to do with tom Keen. To me Tom, Liz and Red make me think of the twisted family in ALIAS.

13. Rachel says:

I know a lot of Blacklist fans and they all hate Tom Keen. I can’t stand him and want him gone from the show just like them. I don’t know anyone who likes the character.

• Lyndy says:

He is a polarizing character but on comment pages I’ve seen today most TB fans are glad to have him back.

14. RichCsigs says:

OMG really?? There is no character on tv (that I watch) that I hate more than this one. And I can’t be alone, because nobody watched his show.

15. Joey Padron says:

Happy he’s coming back to The Blacklist! Can’t wait to see Tom in season 5!

16. Penny says:

I have never hated a TV character more than that of Tom Keen. And not a I hate him but love to watch him thing. I just hate the character. He brings The Blacklist way way down. No offense to Ryan Eggold. His character is just an abusive piece of crap that I was really looking forward to not being on the show. My excitement for season 5 has just been brought WAY down.

17. Michael Summerset says:

I think that was always the plan. If the spin-off didn’t work the characters could be integrated back into the main show.

18. Mark says:

Kill him off already – like so many blacklisters let him go

19. jj says:

Why or why? He is an awful actor. SMH.

20. datdudemurphy says:

Ugh….. I was glad he was gone.

21. Jamie says:

Ugh! Tom is the worst part of the show – notice how good it has been lately?

22. Katy says:

So happy Tom will be back! The show is just not as interesting without his relationship with Liz. Love their love story and when they banter with each other and she teases him about their past. And it drives Red up the wall, which humanizes him.

23. Tom Keen’s character is awful. He was great as a villian/adversary in S1. The weak attempt to redeem his character into some sort of anti-hero w/ questionable sob story as background was just unwatchable, an insult to the audience’s intelligence. I’m glad Redemption failed. And I hope it that the return to the main show will be a short one for Tom Keen.

24. Allie says:

Ugh, I thought my prayers had been answered and the Tom Show was finally donezo. Now he’s coming back to screw up TBL again. Eggold must have dirty pictures of someone high up. Or maybe something else is going on…is he sleeping with a higher up? I wish he’d go away.

Well, I’m done. I DVR’d the last half of the season and lost interest. I’ll watch the eps. in the summer, and, if Diego Klattenhoff goes, I’m with him on whatever show he lands on. They completely wasted his talent.

25. Amelia says:

The idea of turning the TK and Liz story arc into a separate show simply lacked enough substance and was becoming a soap opera…yet it could be incorporated into the mothership. What to do with Baby Agnes??? “Gotham”, dealing with a similar situation, simply wrote the baby out of the story.
    It would also be great to see the characters of Dembe and Solomon developed more but no matter, I’ll be eager for the next season to start!

26. Joe says:

I think blacklist redemptions its actually better then blacklist, wich if wasnt for spader would have been cancelled slready

27. robert says:

The show to fill the time LIZ in her real life was having a child… It was never meant to go on lololololololol if people who are soooooooooooo dumb

28. Ronee T says:

I like the show!! I can’t believe they are cancelling it! I think it was a great idea having a spinoff with Tom as the main character. In the original Blacklist, there wasn’t much for him to do…he was mostly just hanging around contributing to some sub-plot.

29. bostongreekgirl (@BostonGreekgirl) says:

Thank goodness. I would have been upset if Ryan Egg old didn’t come back.

30. LINDA says:

I am so happy to learn there will be another season. I love Red. Glad to learn she accepted him as her father.
    I bet next season will be great

31. Dosi says:

Love the blacklist love tom.redemption is about a group of people not just one. Re shows getting cancelled they are not alwas right. Example are the kardashians real housewives gruckers etc etc. Re liz and a baby should not have happened. I do love tom but i think they should co parent and just love each other and i want iz and ressler to get together and i want many more seasons love the show

32. Gloria J Jackson says:

Tom is great! I followed him to redemption and wished it had worked. But at least he’s back.