The Blacklist Redemption Cancelled NBC

The Blacklist: Redemption Cancelled at NBC After One Season

It’s the end of the list line for The Blacklist: Redemption. NBC has cancelled the spinoff after one season, TVLine has confirmed.

Redemption, an offshoot of NBC’s James Spader-starring procedural The Blacklist, starred Ryan Eggold as his Blacklist character Tom Keen and Famke Janssen as Tom’s mother Scottie, who ran a private military corporation called Halcyon Aegis with an army of covert mercenaries.

The Blacklist: Redemption debuted in February to 4.3 million total viewers and a 0.8 demo rating, and held pretty steady over its eight-episode run. That said, among NBC dramas it only rated higher than one-and-done Emerald City, while matching Grimm’s farewell run and the already-renewed Shades of Blue.

The spinoff unofficially launched with a backdoor-pilot episode of The Blacklist (“Susan Hargrave”) in May of last year.It’s possible that Tom Keen will be reuniting with Liz and Red Reddington soon, though: NBC renewed The Blacklist for a fifth season earlier this week. UPDATE: Eggold will indeed be rejoining the mother ship.

Will you miss The Blacklist: Redemption? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. So disappointed that this got cancelled because I was really hoping to get rid of Tom for good on The Blacklist.

2. Actually quite enjoyed “Blacklist Redemption”. Sorry that it got cut.

• Toni says:

I agree with you! I liked the other characters like Solomon and Nez and the humor that was within the storyline. I guess there are so many shows today that sometimes, a good one like this got axed in the process. 😓

• shagamu says:

I enjoyed, too, which surprised me because I had zero interest in watching a Blacklist spin-off centered on Tom Keen. Solomon, Nez and Dumont were a very entertaining supporting cast (more than Ressler, Navabi and Aram, I’d say), and the tug of war between Scottie and Howard kept me guessing until the end. All in all, it was a pretty tight 8-episode arc, and I just wish it had a more conclusive ending.

Maybe they could devote a Blacklist episode to wrapping up Redemption’s loose ends, especially the whole thing with the quantum computer.

3. Mike says:

that sucks hopefully the story will it closure in season 5 of blacklist

4. Wrstlgirl says:

I’m a little surprised by this, thought they would give it another season. I watched it mostly for Ryan Eggold. Pretty sure I read somewhere that part of his deal to move over to Redemption was that if it failed he would go back to The Blacklist.

5. Jason says:

Well, I guess it’s not such a big deal, because they can just move the storyline over to Blacklist. I hope when they release this season on Blu-Ray, they just throw Redemption in with the package.

6. Tracy288 says:

Famke Janssen was the weak link in this – I’m not surprised it was cancelled.

7. Annmarie Ohara says:

So sad I really enjoyed this show. it was fast paced and very entertaining. i enjoyed seeing Tom find out more about his past and have more individual story lines

8. Joey Padron says:

I figure the show would get cancelled since it did ok in the ratings. Hope the story from the show will get finished in The Blacklist’s next season when Tom is back on the show after the cliffhanger that happened in the season finale.

9. Nicole Walker says:

Bummed but expected. At least we can get some conclusion on the mothership.

10. Tomm Huntre says:

Good show. Sorry to see it cancelled. However, Tom can return to The Blacklist and all the plot lines can be resolved.

11. Theresa Browne says:

Sucks

12. betty says:

Very disappointed. I hope they reconsider and bring it back.

13. Di Inscoe says:

I hope that Tom stays very far away!!!! Hate that Redemtion was cancelled, only acceptable program to replace Blacklists spring break, SAD!!!!

14. Buxtehude11 says:

Great news. James Spader is the straws that stirs the juice. Without him, I don’t give two figs about Tom, his mother etc. The original BlackList has the more interesting writing, cast and acting.

15. Jennifer Bolli says:

I liked it.. I’m sad to see it go. I hope Blacklist original doesn’t cancel… LOVE that show !!!

16. Spikenalabama says:

Glad Redemption was cancelled and glad to hear that Tom will be back on the flagship show. I just hope they give him some interesting storyline instead of just being a stay-at-home dad. He’s too good at being bad!

17. Lebbie Lee says:

What is wrong with these TV Networks??
    They are always cancelling the good shows, and NOT giving most of the new shows enough time to see if they will or can survive!
    This is really getting to be RIDICULOUS with ALL of the networks! Come on people let’s get back to the way things used to be!
    PLEASE???

• Toni says:

I agree with you entirely. These days I’m afraid to watch any new show because I don’t know of it will be axed or not. I really would like to understand how the minds of those network’s CEO’s work because they cancel and then order new shows that are far worse than the ones they cancelled.

• Debbie says:

totally agreed I loved the spinoff and wanted to see where it was going .

18. edward says:

very disappointed. very good. thought it was better than blacklist

19. RachelC says:

It’s so frustrating – I feel like this show wasn’t given a real chance to develop. Mattias and Tom were great together, and the overly involved plot as well as a midseason launch just seemed to doom it from the start.

20. Billy Bob Johnson says:

No surprise. It just didn’t gel. A season two would have been the Tom Keen Show, and that’s just not going to cut it.

21. KLS says:

This show took so long to spin-off, it lost all of it’s buzz. I agree with others that I liked evil Tom better on The Blacklist and I actually stopped watching because he was boring as the good guy.

22. I actually liked Redemption, but I’d prefer to see Tom back with Liz, so I can’t say I’m upset by this.

23. LMF says:

NBC didn’t even give this one a chance. It had a good cast, good show.. I agree with below famke was the weak link but that could have been easily resolved. Don’t understand, bad shows they keep and good shows they cancel. They don’t seem to realize who is watching TV, those of us who aren’t glued to our cell phones,

24. jj says:

The spinoff should never have happened. It was dead on arrival. Unfortunately Tom is returning to mothership and so the ship will also sink after S5.

25. Michael Summerset says:

I’m sure any unresolved story can be tied up on The Blacklist. I wouldn’t be surprised to see at least an episode dealing with it.

26. really liked Redemption. Seems to be all action, fantasy and kind of stupid comedies like Imaginary Mary get renewed. Guess us older folks don’t spend enough money.

27. Lorraine says:

Love the Blacklist with James Spada, he’s awesome , the spinoff, not so much, I won’t miss it. Also, I don’t like Tom.

28. Jim A. says:

I hated “Redemption”- Famke Janssen was absolutely horrible in the role. She was not at all convincing. I wish Terry O’Quinn could find his way to “The Blacklist” though, I like him.

29. fran says:

So disappointed really love that show. But glad that Tom is returning on blacklist

30. Virginia says:

Yes, I will miss the show but I’m just happy they renewed The Blacklist. Glad Ryan Eggold will rejoin the Blacklist again.

31. Ed says:

I really wish you guys looked at everywhere every show I enjoy gets canceled the ones that stink still going strong

32. Robin says:

I really like Blacklist Redemption. The characters are my favorite from The Blacklist. I hope the characters return to Blacklist. I was looking forward to season two. Hope the network change their minds.

33. Missi says:

I really liked this show! Great writing and cast. Shame NBC is dropping it. I wanted to see if Tom helped Scottie.
    Thank goodness The Blacklist is renewed! James Spader is just ganulous.

34. BrianR says:

I hope they can fold in a continuation of the story in the spinoff onto the original so we get some closure. OK

35. Sheila Morgan says:

I thought Blacklist: Redemption was great and was looking forward to Season 2. Hope Tom is back on Blacklist next season.

36. Fave says:

no suprise. Blacklist without Red is nothing.

37. Lou Orr says:

We will miss it. It wasn’t perfect but it was a lot better than some of the other silly programs that got renewed.

38. retsim says:

Sucks really bad .Was looking for a bit more from it .

39. Allison Barthelemy says:

Super disappointed this show is not returning…I loved it just like the Blacklist. Think again and renew it please…

40. Mike says:

I watched it didn’t like it no big loss. And while a fan of the Blacklist’s first two seasons the last two years of being all about Agent Keen have BORING! Just get back to going after the Blacklisters.

41. nathan says:

YES I WILL MISS. Great storyline, actors, writing. Not as cheesy as quantico.

42. Dave Ooi says:

I actually like this more than the Blacklist. Apart from Reddington, the rest of the supporting characters were starting to get really annoying with all their personal problems and really stupid decision making (seriously how are these guys FBI LOL). The supporting cast for Redemption were top-notch and they were really entertaining. Really sad to see this one go.

43. Bill says:

I think expectations might have been too high for this show given the strength of the cast and storylines in The Blacklist. The characters in Redemption are decent support characters in The Blacklist but not strong enough to be main characters. Plus I think the 8 episode story could have been condensed down into 2 episodes in The Blacklist. Parts of the ongoing story just dragged on too long and tried to be too clever by providing a few “twists” at the end.

I just couldn’t get into the characters. Yes, Solomon is the bad guy you love to hate and Tom Keene (bad guy turned good guy) was the same character he played on The Blacklist but the rest of the characters were just not that interesting.

Plus, a quantum computer run by people with questionable motives and a risk to our privacy? Felt like someone was borrowing a bit from Person of Interest.

44. britt says:

is anyone really surprised by this? A bunch of supporting characters from the blacklist? The blacklist that people only tune in for because of reddington? I mean honestly, I couldn’t care less about any of the characters on blacklist as is, so why would I care about them on their own show? Although I DO like Tom. Glad he’s coming back.

45. Lance W Wrede says:

I enjoyed it. Sad to see it got cut. I also agree with everyone else, I don’t want tom back on The Blacklist!!!!

46. DK says:

Thoroughly enjoyed Blacklist Redemption. The stories were interesting and Mr. Solomon was a great character

47. Cody Lehman says:

That’s f****** b******* they cancel Blacklist Redemption and there’s not going to be any more Blacklist there already is in the Burn Notice everything’s about police it’s stupid shows about spies are so cool

48. Maggie Lawlor says:

We REALLY enjoyed the Blacklist Redemption and are so sad that it isn’t going to be coming back for a second season- it was great! Glad to hear that Ryan Eggold is going back to the Blacklist!

49. cherres2t says:

I liked it, it wasn’t on long enough. They need to bring it back.

50. Karen ribout says:

So disappointed that you have cancelled blacklist redemption. My husband and I loved this show