Exclusive
Riverdale Season 2 Kevin Casey Cott Series Regular

Riverdale Promotes Casey Cott to Series Regular for Season 2

Get ready to see more of Kevin roaming the halls of Riverdale High next season.

Casey Cott has been promoted to series regular for Season 2 of The CW’s Riverdale, TVLine has learned exclusively. Cott plays Betty’s gay BFF Kevin Keller, who loves to add his snarky thoughts to the conversation. The son of Riverdale’s town sheriff, Kevin also had a star-crossed romance this season with Joaquin, a member of the Southside Serpents biker gang.

Riverdale, a teen-soap reimagining of the classic Archie comics, scored a Season 2 renewal back in March. Cott joins KJ Apa (Archie), Lili Reinhart (Betty), Cole Sprouse (Jughead), Camila Mendes (Veronica), Madelaine Petsch (Cheryl) and Ashleigh Murray (Josie) as series regulars among the show’s teen cast.

Mark Consuelos (Pitch) will be joining Riverdale‘s cast in Season 2 as Veronica’s father Hiram Lodge. And another new face will be coming to Riverdale High, too: The role of Reggie, played by Ross Butler in Season 1, will be recast.

Excited to get more Kevin in Season 2, Riverdale fans? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Susie says:

I think I speak for everyone when I say…”he wasn’t a regular already?”

Good for him!

2. Peter Alexandris says:

Its surprising that Josie is a regular and Kevin was not, Josie had much less air time and barely seen in the last half of the season lol. But good job for Casey! I love Kevin

• Gospino says:

I believe the actress had a conflicting job, which was why we didn’t see so much of her later in this past season.

3. J.B. says:

I really hope they flesh out his character more. He needs to be more than Betty’s (then Veronica’s) gay BF. I’d like to seem him interact with the other main characters like in the comics.

4. Phillip says:

I live for the day where a gay character isn’t described as “the gay BFF” and just described as “the BFF of…”

• Phillip says:

But great news!

• Fabrizia says:

He would still be a fancy accessory for the female protagonists, like a talking Balenciaga bag, and on top of that he would be in love with one of them and be super cuckholded. At least this way he can have his own romance that has nothing to do with the girls.

P.S: Veronica is awful.

5. Paul says:

It’s funny Ashleigh Murray (Josie) was a season regular. There were literally at least 10 people with more screen time and more to do than her, including one of the Pussycats.

6. Wes says:

Great news! I hope this means he’ll actually get some real, meatier storylines next season. Seems like in the first season all he did was a) talk about his sexuality or b) act as Veronica’s gay best friend.

• Paul says:

I don’t remember him talking much about his sexuality. And you seem to have forgotten that, albeit not major, he did have a romance with Joaquin and that had ties to the overall murder plot, since Joaquin was involved and started dating him because he was the Sheriff’s son.

• luke says:

The romance with Joaquin which happened completely off screen is prob not the best example to use.

• Paul says:

Maybe you missed several episodes, but the romance did not happen completely off-screen. It could have been explored more, certainly, but we saw them on-screen together a few times and the relationship impacted the plot.

• abz says:

The only time I remember him talking about his sexuality really was when he was telling his dad how there aren’t really any other gay kids he knows.

• Kyle says:

I remember him talking quite a few times about how he hooks up with closeted straight guys.

• Paul says:

That was once, maybe twice. And that isn’t really him talking about his sexuality, as in how he feels or deals with being gay – but actually describing his sex life.

It’s like saying Archie telling Betty he kissed Veronica is Archie discussing his heterosexuality.

7. SethM says:

Great News! Look forward to more Kevin in season 2

8. Jared says:

Kevin Keller made the show. His scenes were always some of my favorite. Now all we need is more Joaquin. Cutest couple ever!

9. JJ says:

I’m happy about this. I hope the writers revisit his almost romance with Moose!

• Isaiah says:

Yes! I feel as if we should’ve seen more of that Plot and their interactions. Moose, Kevin, and Joaquin. That felt more of a triangle than Archie with Betty or Veronica did.

10. Paula says:

So happy about this!

11. Chuck says:

I don’t know why he wasn’t a regular in the first place. He got more screen time than Reggie!

12. jericho says:

Still don’t see why Josie is a regular. She was not used nearly as much as a regular should have been. Valerie would have been a better regular. At least she was used quite a bit more and for serious story points.

13. abz says:

I hope they give his character more to do next season and a romance that’s actually shown on screen. I mean why does he have to Betty’s “gay BFF” and not just one of the gang with his own storyline. They barely showed him and Joaquin together. After they kiss in the movie theatre parking lot, they just go several episodes without mentioning them and then all of sudden, Kevin randomly mentions his boyfriend. Kinda sad when you compare to how much time they devote to all of Archie’s relationships/hook-ups and Betty/Jughead. Of course they’re the iconic characters and they’re great and entertaining, but it’s just a trend I still notice. Every time I hear a news that a show will have an actual gay male character or relationship on the show, it’s exciting but I also have to remember to lower expectations because they probably won’t get nearly as much screen time as the rest of the characters.
    Oh well the show is still entertaining, just hope they start doing other stories than murder mysteries. Really don’t want this show becoming Pretty Little Liars with kids acting like expert investigators or something.
    I read something about Sabrina Spellman being asssociated with the Archie Comics (which I didn’t even know cause I don’t read comics much), but I’d love to see them bring on that character. Loved the sitcom.

14. ninergrl6 says:

I’m a big fan of those Cott brothers. Congrats Casey!

15. emelyn says:

kevin can choke. i want joaquin.