Rent: Live on Fox

Rent: Live Set as Fox's Latest Musical

The news we’ve been waiting five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes for (give or take a few hours) has arrived: Fox is staging a live adaptation of Rent, TVLine has learned.

Jonathan Larson’s iconic, Tony-winning rock musical — which follows a group of ragtag artists living in New York’s East Village under the shadow of AIDS — originally ran on Broadway from 1996 to 2008. With 5,123 performances under its belt, it stands as Broadway’s 11th longest-running show. In 2005, a feature film version featuring many of the original ensemble’s stars was released.

Rent: Live has big shoes to fill. Fox’s last musical event, Grease: Live, was a commercial and critical smash. It therefore bodes well that Marc Platt — one of Grease: Live‘s EPs — will serve as an exec producer on Fox’s Rent.

“We are so honored to partner with the estate of the brilliant Jonathan Larson and producer Marc Platt on one of the great musicals of our time,” said Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Chairmen and CEOs of Fox, in a statement. “The title is so iconic, the music is so beloved, and the themes are as meaningful today as they were when the show first premiered on Broadway. With Marc overseeing this project, we are sure it will have a profound impact on the legions of fans who know and love this musical.”

1. Butch says:

Good Choice.

2. Will says:

525,600 reasons why we can’t just leave well enough alone…

3. Jim says:

I’m confused…while I LOVE this show, how is this going to air on a typical broadcast network with the language and subject matter? This would be great if it were to air on HBO or Showtime, somewhere they could do it without editing it so much…I’m afraid this is going to be RENT (High School Musical Edition).

• Sheila says:

Had the same thought. There’s either got to be a lot of parental warning or a lot of sanitizing.

• Laurel Lane says:

Yes, sounds like just the thing for a family-friendly viewing. Can’t believe they are putting this on network TV.

• TJ says:

I would like to think that partnering with Larson’s Estate etc. would mean any changes would have their approval.

4. steven says:

Didn’t they just announce that they were doing A Christmas Story?

• anon says:

“Fox isn’t revealing when Rent will be broadcast, but it will likely be after the network’s recently-announced live musical adaptation A Christmas Story, which is slated to premiere in December.” Right there in the article

5. Jennifer says:

OK. FINALLY, a live show I can get behind

6. LT says:

Meh…I need AVENUE Q. I hear those muppets can act! :)

• iHeart says:

hey I love Avenue Q, but I’d rather see it get the theatrical treatment, I mean they would have to build the sets five feet off the ground just for the puppets (yeah I learned quite a bit when studying the muppets) you know what I wish even more? that Glee could have covered a couple of the songs.

• ninergrl6 says:

That one is definitely not safe for network tv.

7. Gina says:

I have a feeling this is going to be either really bad or simply amazing. I don’t think there’s going to be an in between. Either way, I’m intrigued.

8. CMG says:

Hmm. With the existence of a very good recording of the final cast of the Broadway version (“Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway”) and the movie version of the original Broadway cast mentioned in the article, I’m not sure what FOX’s version will possibly add.

In fact, there are definitely parts of Rent that can’t be aired on TV, meaning whatever they show will undoubtedly be closer to the censored “School Edition” that removes the adult language, references to drug use, and drops the song “Contact.”

No thanks… I’ll watch the “Filmed Live on Broadway” version, or go and see the revival version (on tour now).

9. Temperance says:

Good choice, but the fundy bigot crowd won’t be tuning in, so the ratings don’t have a prayer to match.

10. ninergrl6 says:

Musicals are back, y’all! Love it!

11. Kerri says:

No thanks. Just stop already!!