CBS Orders Boreanaz' SEAL Team, Moore's S.W.A.T., Cumming's Instinct, Piven's Wisdom, Plus 2 Comedies

Make no bones about it: David Boreanaz will be on CBS next season.

Ahead of its 2017-18 schedule unveiling next week, the Eye net has handed out formal series orders to four dramas, including the Boreanaz-fronted SEAL Team. Also scoring pickups: Alan Cumming’s Instinct, Shemar Moore’s S.W.A.T. and Jeremy Piven’s Wisdom of the Crowd

On the comedy side, CBS has OK’d the family satire 9JKL starring Royal Pains‘ Mark Feuerstein and the time-tripping sitcom Me, Myself & I starring Saturday Night Live’s Bobby Moynihan. The duo join the already-ordered Big Bang Theory prequel spinoff Young Sheldon.

Here are the official loglines and complete cast lists for all six new series.

INSTINCT
EPs: Michael Rauch, Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, James Patterson, Bill Robinson, Leopoldo Gout, Alan Cumming and Marc Webb
Logline: A former CIA operative who has since built a “normal” life as a gifted professor and writer is lured back into his old life when the NYPD needs his help to stop a serial killer. Based on the soon-to-be-published James Patterson book.
Cast: Alan Cumming, Bojana Novakovic, Daniel Ings, Naveen Andrews, Khandi Alexander

SEAL TEAM
EPs: Ben Cavell, Ed Redlich, Sarah Timberman, Carl Beverly and Chris Chulack
Logline: Follows the professional and personal lives of the most elite unit of Navy SEALs as they train, plan and execute the most dangerous, high stakes missions our country can ask of them.
Cast: David Boreanaz, Max Thieriot, Neil Brown Jr., A.J. Buckley, Toni Trucks, Jessica Paré

S.W.A.T. Shemar MooreS.W.A.T.
EPs: Aaron Thomas, Shawn Ryan, Neal Moritz, Marney Hochman, Danielle Woodrow, Pavun Shetty and Justin Lin
Logline: A locally born and bred S.W.A.T. sergeant is torn between loyalty to the streets and duty to his fellow officers when he’s tasked to run a specialized tactical unit that is the last stop in law enforcement in Los Angeles. Inspired by the film of the same name.
Cast: Shemar Moore, Stephanie Sigman, Alex Russell, Jay Harrington, Lina Esco, Kenny Johnson, Peter Onorati

WISDOM OF THE CROWD
EPs: Ted Humphrey, Avi Nir, Alon Shtruzman, Peter Traugott, Rachel Kaplan, Dror Mishani, Shira Hadad and Adam Davidson
Logline: Inspired by the notion that a million minds are better than one, a visionary tech innovator (Jeremy Piven) creates a cutting-edge crowdsourcing app to solve his daughter’s murder, and revolutionize crime solving in the process. Based on the Israeli format of the same name.
Cast: Jeremy Piven, Richard T. Jones, Jake Matthews, Blake Lee, Natalia Tena, Monica Potter

9JKL
EPs: Dana Klein, Mark Feuerstein, Aaron Kaplan, Wendi Trilling, Dana Honor and Pamela Fryman
Logline: A family comedy inspired by a time in Mark Feuerstein’s adult life when he lived in apartment 9K in the building he grew up in, sandwiched between his doting parents’ apartment, 9J, and his brother, sister-in-law and their baby’s apartment, 9L, and his attempts to set boundaries with his intrusive but well-meaning family.
Cast: Mark Feuerstein, Linda Lavin, Elliott Gould, David Walton, Liza Lapira, Matt Murray

ME, MYSELF & I
EPs: Dan Kopelman, Aaron Kaplan, Dana Honor and Randall Einhorn
Logline: A single-camera comedy examining one man’s life over a 50-year span. The show will focus on three distinct periods in his life – as a 14-year-old in 1991, a 40-year-old in present day, and a 65-year-old in 2042.
Cast: Bobby Moynihan, Jack Dylan Grazer, Brian Unger, Jaleel White, Kelen Coleman, Skylar Gray, Christopher Paul Richards, Mandell Maughan, Reylynn Caster, with Sharon Lawrence and John Larroquette

1. iHeart says:

so I guess this means Bobby Moynihan is leaving SNL

2. Jaime says:

Every TV series Boreanaz touches turns to gold ~ I know I’ll be watching!

3. Sarah says:

Big congrats to DB, but it’s just too soon for me. Sorry.

4. Andrea says:

Will check out Instinct, Seal Team, and s.W. A.T. because of Alan Cumming, David Boreanaz, and Shemar Moore.

5. kmw says:

Yea for David Boreanaz. I wasn’t expecting it to get picked up. Hopefully the show will be great for him. Stunned they picked up four dramas I have a bad feeling for Elementary

6. Jennifer says:

Looks like CBS will be the only station I’ll watch. I was REALLY hoping that 9JKL would be picked up. LOVE Mark Feuerstein (RIP Royal Pains)

7. Kia says:

My Bones-obsessed heart is feeling all kinds of things but Congrats to David!

8. tjj50 says:

Instinct has a great cast. Will add that to the list to check out.

9. Emma says:

Congratulations David!!!

I will be tuning in to SEAL!! Can’t wait 🙌

10. Kia says:

My Bones-obsessed heart is feeling all kinds of things, it hurts a little, but Congrats to David!

11. KLS says:

Wisdom of the Crowd sounds like another tech billionaire tries to save the world (again). (Pure Genius, A.P.B.) But this time, they have a better lead (Piven), as long as he doesn’t play the character as too snarky or sarcastic, I’ll try this one.
    As an aside, where have all the female-leading shows gone CBS?

• Haz says:

They have gone to ABC. I’m somewhat curious if CBS will catch hell for the lack of female leads as they did last year when it came to diversity. I will admit considering the shape the other networks are in I don’t blame them for not really going outside the box.

• Jooshua says:

It sounds EXACTLY like APB though lol

12. Rose says:

So no female leads in any new dramas?….lol CBS

13. Ana says:

What’s up with the sausage party? No new tv-show fronted by a woman in CBS?

14. Brennan says:

Has David Boreanaz taken a break from TV since Buffy? That’s a LONG time to commit to network tv schedules, especially considering all 3 series have been smash hits. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

• kmw says:

Yes we must and I think the longest break was either right now between Bones and this or Between Angel and Bones. He said he wanted a break HA!!!

• Dascoser says:

Looks like there was year between Angel and Bones, but he’s been on tv for 19 of the last 20 years

15. fiberlicious says:

Some great names in the cast lists!

16. annieo53 says:

They all sound good to me! I do love Boreanaz and Moore and will give them a try. Instinct is a definite yes and I’ll give Wisdom a shot. The comedies sound fun, love Mark Feuerstein and loved Royal Pains. Be great to see Linda Lavin,Elliott Gould and Liza Lipira (an NCIS alum)! Be interesting to see Bobby Monyihan’s show, looks like a great cast.

17. Everyone seems to chose to forget SWAT was a TV show before the movie. I didn’t like the movie but I’ll give the new show a chance anyway.

• joe says:

I hope they bring back the them from the original back

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No one is “forgetting”; the new series is specifically based on the movie.

• Mark says:

And all the shows based on movies relecently havent lasted into a second season except 12 monkeys. But the trend is generally one and gone. Makes one wonder if we will be seeing agent Morgan back on CM sooner rather than later.

18. Jess says:

I will be watching Instinct, SEAL Team and SWAT.

19. LMF says:

Shemar is so hot he is worth watching even tho only known cast member. Love Alan Cummings and David B. I’ll be watching..I do wish Shemar would go back to Criminal Minds tho but I understand wanting to move on to something different..

20. jericho says:

Do they even have enough timeslots for all of this?

I mean, I love the return of SWAT and a new version of The Unit err Seal Team looks good. But what else is getting canned? Whats left not to have gotten picked up? Beyond Borders? Elementary?

• KLS says:

The new ones may not be full orders (20-24 episodes).

• Paul says:

I’d imagine that Elementary, Beyond Borders, and Code Black will all be cancelled. I also wouldn’t be surprised if some new shows are only picked up for 13-15 episodes. More like How To Get Away With Murder, so they can tell more compelling stories in a smaller time frame. If some do really well in the Fall I’m sure CBS will order full seasons and hold some shows til summer or put them on All Access as some sort of defacto cancellation. Some networks have learned the lesson to only pick up for 13 episodes and replace it with something else if the ratings are mediocre. Then again, maybe they’ll only pickup Hawaii 5-0 for 13 episodes. It is rumored that it will be the last season of that.

21. Boiler says:

They actually think these will be better than what is cancelled. Sucks big time that it doesn’t look good for Elementary

22. Crystal says:

What’s the point? Get really into a series only to have it cancelled.

23. Courtney Larson says:

I’ll give the dramas a chance, depending on the trailers. If the trailers don’t grab me, then no amount of star power will be able to hold my attention. Not to mention the fact that very few, if any show based on a movie, particularly at CBS has faired very well. I hope that SWAT is a success, if only for Shemar’s sake, but don’t hold out a lot of hope, not based on the stats. As for the comedies, I’ll take a look at the trailers, but again, if those don’t grab me, then I’ll have to say no. I love John Larroquette, but I have only so much time to watch anything, and if a show doesn’t grab my attention & have me wanting to see more, then I’m not going to waste my time on it. It’s why I don’t watch a lot of stuff that is otherwise popular (IE Modern Family on ABC or Life in Pieces on CBS).

24. emor says:

I really enjoyed Conrad Bloom. I’m so glad they’re bringing it back! (#nonewideas) Great News fans go watch Room For Two (#nonewideas #LoveLindaLavin)

25. Rebecca Parker says:

Pass to all. Typical of CBS.

26. Joan Kelly says:

I am so happy that David Boreanaz is going to be on a new show. He is a actor that is worth watching.

27. Angela says:

Will be checking out “SWAT” for Shemar Moore :).

28. Kim says:

Isn’t David Lim supposed to be starring in S.W.A.T? He was in some of the pictures that Shemar Moore had on Instagram.

29. Amy Wegner says:

Wisdom of the Crowd sounds an awful lot like Fox’s APB that just got cancelled. Will definately check out SWAT and Seal Team, though.

30. Kevin Tran says:

SWAT is the only new series on CBS I’m looking forward to.

31. Joey Padron says:

Happy Mark and Bobby’s new shows got pickup to series! Can’t wait to see the the trailers for the shows!

32. Jim J. says:

I wonder if the CBS Network will ever have a Warner Bros. TV/CBS TV Studios co-production. Every current series on CBS has to be produced by either one company or the other, but now I want a CBS series produced by BOTH companies, whether it’s a drama or a comedy.

A few shows on The CW, like “Jane the Virgin” and the now-concluded “The Vampire Diaries”, are produced by both WBTV and CBS-TVS.

33. Michael says:

I like David Boreanaz, but i was looking forward to seeing Jim Caviezel in this. It’s a shame he left this show. I hopes he gets a new show soon.

• Another Poster says:

I will also watch the show. I like Jim Caviezel, (I mean Jim Caviezel, Seals – which he got training from, and New Orleans, a city he loves so much and which loves him in return), however, after being hired, he left the show due to “creative differences”. He’s a talented actor, he should find something else real soon.
      Just like Amy Acker, Sarah Shahi, and Michael Emerson have found work since Person of Interest ended. Good luck to Kevin Chapman on finding work as well.

34. mrmcgee says:

Instinct: Yet another show where the NYPD “needs help” from a gifted blah blah blah…

35. Kenbud says:

Khandi Alexander? …Hmmmm, wonder what that means for Mama Pope next week in the 2-hour finale.

36. danoregon says:

Nice to know CBS resisted the urge to add a show with a female lead. People don’t watch shows with women leads.

37. Instinct – nothing new there
    Wisdom of the Crowd – sounds a bit like the failed APB
    None of them sound intriguing or anything. Have to wait for some video previews…

38. lrdslvrhnd says:

SWAT is “inspired by the movie of the same name” – but not by the TV show that inspired the movie?
    SEAL Team sounds like the Unit. I liked The Unit, so I approve.
    … A TV show based on a book that isn’t even published yet? Oy.
    Wisdom of the Crowd sounds like APB Lite, just focusing on the app of the same name in it and ignoring the rest of the tech. Might actually succeed where APB failed if they limit the rest of the tech.
    I still wanna know how Bobby Moynihan turns into John Larroquette.
    I enjoy Feuerstein (…much more than I enjoy spelling his name…) so I’ll give his show a shot.

39. Maryann says:

I would have watched Seal Team with Caviezel — with Boreanaz likely not.

40. Ally Oop says:

Maybe I’ll check out Me, Myself and I. The dramas all seem to be boring procedurals though.

41. Michael Robinson Obama says:

I have very little confidence that CBS’s “SEAL TEAM” will be accurate, I can see them having Tofu K rations and saving kittens. I would have more confidence if Steve Bannon were to produce a love story about Lenin and Stalin… now that would be less biased!