A Christmas Story Musical Fox

A Christmas Story: Fox to Air Live Version of Holiday Musical in December

Fox is giving fans of A Christmas Story a gift wrapped up in a box and stamped with the word “FRAGILE” (“It must be Italian!”): The network announced Friday that it’s planning to broadcast a live musical based on the 1983 holiday movie.

The film follows Ralphie (played by Peter Billingsley, Sullivan & Son) whose only wish for a Christmas gift is an air rifle, despite the fact that all of the adults in his life warn him that “You’ll shoot your eye out.”

Marc Platt (Grease: LiveLa La Land) will executive-produce the event, which was “inspired by” the classic film and Broadway’s A Christmas Story: The Musical. Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, who are nominated for Tony Awards for Dear Evan Hansen, will write some new songs for the project.

In addition, Grease: Live‘s Jonathan Tolins and Robert Cary will adapt the musical’s book.

The threehour production is slated to air in December.

A Christmas Story is one of the most beloved holiday films of all time — audiences have made a yearly ritual of re-watching it — and we are so thrilled to have Marc leading the charge in bringing the musical version of that film to television,” David Madden, president, entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company, said in a statement. “The extraordinarily gifted Pasek and Paul were instrumental in transposing the movie to the stage, and we believe the transition to live television event will be just as entertaining for viewers.”

Fox’s musical news comes a day after NBC announced that its 2018 musical undertaking will be a live production of Jesus Christ Superstar, which will air at Easter.

1. Fred says:

No mention or credit to Jean Shepherd?

Someone should have their eye shot out.

2. steven says:

It better not turn out anything like A Christmas Story 2.

3. Tracy Melton says:

No no and just no! I think I’ll stick to watching the marathon of the original on TBS

4. Cassie says:

I might watch this. I never saw the movie until five or six years ago… and I really don’t like it. But my husband does. So I watch it with him. In silence. Because that’s what Christmas is all about.

5. JK says:

NO, no, no, no!!!

6. Honor says:

If you haven’t seen the musical, resist groaning just yet! The soundtrack isn’t anything incredible by itself but the whole thing is pretty sweet.

I’m just amazed they are willing to do this since it has so many kids involved…and there are dogs. That is chaotic live!

• ZisforZombie says:

I know, completely agree! I was hesitant to see the musical, but was pleasantly surprised. I think this could be pretty great. I’ll be tuning in.

7. ninergrl6 says:

This will be the first of the recent live tv musicals that I haven’t actually seen the stage show for, although I have seen the 80s movie. It’ll be refreshing to watch a musical that’s “new” for me on tv. Plus Pasek & Paul write exactly the kind of tunes that I love. (I’ve listened to “Waving Through a Window” on repeat for hours on multiple occasions)

8. Never understood all the love for this film. Maybe part of it is based on Americans’ obsession with guns? I’d rather see the Walton’s Homecoming or Miracle on 34th Street turned into musicals. Or maybe John Waters could do a sequel, in which Ralphie grows up to be a serial killer with his signature method of shooting out the eye of his victim. A little dark, but I’m sure Waters could structure it in a conventional musical/comedy format.