The Shannara Chronicles Season 2

MTV's Shannara Chronicles Moving to Spike TV for Upcoming Season 2

When The Shannara Chronicles returns for its second season, Wil Ohmsford’s journey will include an unexpected detour.

Moving forward, the fantasy series — whose first season aired on MTV from Jan. to March 2016 — will now air on Spike TV (which will be re-branded as Paramount Network in 2018), MTV announced Thursday.

“We’re honored to have worked with our extraordinary production partner, Sonar Entertainment, along with fantasy visionaries and executive producers Al Gough, Miles Millar, Jon Favreau, Jonathan Liebesman and Dan Farah along with executive producer and best-selling author of the book series, Terry Brooks,” MTV said in a statement. “We’re pleased that fans of the beloved franchise will be able to follow the characters and epic story they love on its new network.”

The Shannara Chronicles stars Austin Butler (The Carrie Diaries), Manu Bennett (Arrow), Malese Jow (The Vampire Diaries) and Vanessa Morgan (Finding Carter), among others. Currently filming in New Zealand, the show’s second season is expected to premiere sometime this fall.

For those of you keeping score at home, this leaves Teen Wolf and Scream as MTV’s only remaining scripted series, following the recent cancellation of Sweet/Vicious.

Will you follow The Shannara Chronicles to Spike TV? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the big move below.

1. Jko says:

That’s a long wait. Guess I’ll have to readjust my DVR in a year. Teen Wolf is ending this summer, it’s been a real disappointment the 2nd half of the series but I still hope some of the original cast return for the final episodes. Scream I liked for the first 2 seasons but them rebooting to be more diverse with Queen Latifah and leaving us on a cliffhanger screw that I hope it gets canned.

• Megan says:

I don’t think they are saying Shannara Chronicles won’t be airing until 2018, but that Spike TV is changing it’s name to Paramount in 2018. I think Shannara Chronicles is supposed to come back sometime this year.

2. Lucy says:

I don’t watch the show – it’s on my list of shows to watch., but it looks like MTV are slowly moving away from their scripted series. Teen Wolf is ending which only leaves Scream – It’s getting a third season but I can’t see it staying for much longer.

3. Amber says:

Teen Wolf is about to end and I’d better money that Scream reboot never happens and they cancel it, too.

MTV is about to rebrand itself as an all reality channel. I’m calling it now.

• Casey says:

If the Scream reboot happens, it will not do well and they’ll cancel it, too. MTV is an all reality channel now + 2 hours of Friends reruns every night. ?????? I will miss Teen Wolf but it’s really not the same without Stiles, and the earlier seasons were better anyway. Not just because of the OG cast, but I am so tired of these pointless pretty boy characters in the background that all look the same. Teen Wolf was always about male skin, but it wasn’t as dry and unappealing as it is now.

4. J.B. says:

This doesn’t bode well for the show. Like others said I think this is a clear sign MTV is moving away from scripted shows. Admittedly scripted shows because let’s be honest, their reality shows are far from real.

• Andy Swift says:

I’d say it bodes better for the show than it does for MTV.

• J.B. says:

Creatively, probably. However, if fans don’t follow the show to its new home and Spike TV/Paramount Network doesn’t market the heck out it I can’t see it having a sustainable future. MTV on the other hand will probably be around forever no matter how much bullsh!t they air. Doubt Viacom would cancel the whole channel.

5. Sara says:

I will definitely be following the show to its new channel. I greatly enjoyed the first season and have been looking forward to season 2.

6. Tribal Mischief says:

It doesn’t leave Teen Wolf, Teen Wolf starts its final episodes next month.

• J.B. says:

Technically it does since MTV will still be airing new episodes for a few months at least. So yes, as of right now, TSC moving to a different network leaves just TW and Scream as their only scripted shows.

7. brandy says:

What if MTV rebranded itself as *gasp* a MUSIC network?

8. Jared says:

Isn’t Teen Wolf ending after its upcoming season?

9. kate says:

I only sporadically get Spike TV, so probably not (it appears to be picked up by Netflix).

10. Beth says:

Poppy Drayton’s face is actually perfect, so jealous. Shame she wont be returning

11. Anne says:

Oh gross. Guess that means all the female characters are going to be downgraded to idiot sex toys now.

12. Drew says:

I’m so embarrassed I replied with a typo-filled Tweet to the TVLine account following the news on Twitter this morning, but what the hell… The sentiment still holds!
    ” uuugh… Nowninhave to tune to Spike TV. Something I never thought I’d do ”
    Maybe I’ll be more tolerant of the channel when it’s named “Paramount”, but that’s next year.
    For this year I’m going to be extra annoyed as a Spike bug stays on screen while watching the Shannara Chronicles….

13. indigo says:

yep, will follow to spike tv or whatever they gonna call it, think lots will, as long as we (the viewers) are kept informed about changes

14. Erick Voshel says:

Maybe it for the best. Shanarra would have a shot at getting better ratings & more recognition on Spike than it would ever get on MTV. I’m on board.

15. Ryan says:

WEIRD.

16. Richard Alan Haugh says:

I WANT to follow it. But I cut the cable and have a Roku, Playstation Vue and Hulu. It depends if I’m able to watch it on its Roku app or other streaming service.

17. Tienda says:

I really LOVE the show and can’t wait to see the next season!

18. SpikeTV in Canada has *always* been complete crap since it rebranded from The National Network (TNN)… from original The Nashville Network (TNN). They black out gigantic parts of the schedule & insert subpar programming in its place. I’ll expect the same when it rebrands as Paramount Network. Thank f**k I got a Roku w/ ‘private channels’ to “border hop”. In Canada, the show will continue to air on MTV Canada, so don’t expect to see it air on PN if from here.

19. Gregory Louderback says:

When will the premier of season 2 Shannara Chronicles air so I can set a reminder on my calendar?

20. Marie says:

Of course I will follow the Shannara Chronicles to Spike. I doesn’t matter to me what network it comes on. I’m just glad it’s returning for a 2nd season…..:O)

21. Vicky Taylor-Gayner says:

Can’t wait to see The Shannara Chronicles, thought that they were gone for good. Glad to see that is not true. Hate to have to wait till fall, but I will suffer

22. Angie Cole says:

Thank you so much for bringing back the Shannara Chronicles. I’ve been waiting to see this again since season 1 can’t wait to see season 2 thank you so much once again

23. C Ellison says:

YES. I hope I get this Spike channel. Was great it was also on Netflicks or wouldn’t have seen at all. Have been reading Terry Brooks since school and really enjoyed the show.

24. denise martinez says:

Looking forward to more Shanara adventures with Spike TV😎

25. onthegodee says:

I can hardly wait!! I love the Shannara Chronicles!! I have never watched anything on on Spike TV, i hope it’s easy to access. Can I it on a PS4?

26. LASAINE LATIMORE says:

Love this series and would follow on any chanel. Shannara Chronicles should explain more about how a war created 4 Lands.

27. Connie says:

Yes! Will follow to Spike TV. Can’t wait. When is premier for season 2?

28. Ronald Ray Streight says:

Can’t wait ! !

29. Velicia Bridgett says:

I’ll follow Shannara Chronicles to whatever network is smart enough to broadcast the well scripted series of one of Terry Brooks best fantasy world series. I applaud Spike tv onmaking smart

30. Velicia Bridgett says:

31. Velicia says:

I’ll follow Shannara Chronicles to whatever network is smart enough to broadcast this well scripted series of one of Terry Brooks best fantasy world series. I applaud Spike tv. How about picking up Emerald City?

32. Ashashii says:

after about 5 maybe 6 months of not seeing another episode I move on. Sorry not going to watch a show that waits over a year to show another episode. Let me know if it actually survives to have a proper ending in the years to come and I might stream it in a more timely fashion for sure viewing pleasure. short season and barely enough episode UK based programming can get the out !!!!!!!

33. Chatty Rarwood says:

Yes I will definitely follow it I’ve been waiting forever I wish it would hurry and come on