The Blacklist NBC

The Blacklist Renewed for Season 5

Raymond Reddington may want to invest in a second fedora: The Blacklist has been renewed for a fifth season at NBC.

The 22-episode renewal comes as Season 4 gears up for a showdown between Reddington and his confidant-turned-nemesis, Mr. Kaplan. According to series creator Jon Bokenkamp, Mr. Kaplan “will undermine [Red’s] criminal empire in ways he never expected” and “intends to take him apart piece by piece” in the season’s final installments.

The Blacklist thus far this season has averaged 5.4 million weekly viewers and a 1.0 demo rating, down 20 and 30 percent from Season 3. Among NBC dramas, it only rates higher than Grimm‘s farewell season, the already renewed Shades of Blue, its in-limbo offshoot Blacklist: Redemption and the one-and-done Emerald City.

The Blacklist‘s two-hour finale airs Thursday, May 18, at 9/8c. Its spinoff series, The Blacklist: Redemption, has yet to be renewed.

1. Tomm Huntre says:

Yes!!!! This show is a favorite of both my wife and myself! Spader is just the best actor on TV currently. Very happy!

Redemption deserves renewal. It was a solid show. It could fill the gaps when the mother show goes on prolonged breaks.

2. Kay says:

I’m glad it’s just started getting really good again!

3. Boiler says:

Too bad Elementary isn’t on NBC. They would keep it based on some of these other decisions

4. Jko says:

What about Redemption? I prefer the spinoff at this point to the main.

5. Kevin Tran says:

Very happy about the news but nobody didn’t mention on a proper final season.

6. Ray says:

Been a fan of the first since the beginning but I really loved the spin-off more. The cast, plot, and game changing finale were fun. If it does get cancelled I hope Tom comes back full time with his mother in tow.

7. Heidijo says:

FANTASTIC!!! GREAT NEWS!!! IMO, the best show on network television with the remarkable & talented James Spader as ‘Red’…Just as no one but James Gandolfini could convincingly fill the role of Tony Soprano, only James Spader can convincingly fill the role of Red Reddington….. He is what makes ‘Blacklist’ great! Again, great news & brings a smile to my face!!!!! :)

8. Olivia says:

Great! :)

9. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Excellent. I’m not holding out hope for Redemption, though. Where do they go from their finale? Does it just become the Tom Keen show?

10. Joey Padron says:

So happy the show got renewed! Season 4 been great so far. Can’t wait to watch the new episode tonight!

11. bridyyc says:

Pleased for the renewal, but Kaplan needs to be a part of this show in season 5. Not every episode, but she can’t die, okay? Also, Redemption sucked.If you want a spin-off show, do The Harem instead and have Liz join that show. I doubt BL would even notice her gone.

12. VWT says:

Glad to see the renewal. This season was good. I think viewership is down because last season lost so many viewers because of the pregnancy/baby storyline and they didn’t return. that was almost me, but I’m glad I stuck with it.

• Anne says:

Yup. That’s why the show slowly moved down my watch list. I’ll likely catch up, but I’m not in a hurry

13. fiberlicious says:

Finally, some GOOD news! Even at its worst, this show is better than anything else on TV.

14. Dave says:

I’m still confused as to who Liz’s biological father is???

• JenJ says:

So is the rest of the world. Mama didn’t know who the Daddy was, or so she said. I still think it is Red’s, no matter how they try to spin it.
      Otherwise, I’m very glad they renewed the show! I love it. However, I did not care for Redemption, and just hope that Tom returns to the original and the show get’s on with what makes it so great…What’s Reddington going to do next!

• Catherine says:

Why can’t Liz just get a DNA sample from Red, have it tested against herself, and be done with it?!

15. Penny says:

Yes!! Glad to hear it’s official! Although the cast was caught taking Season 5 promotional photos so it kind of already gave it away. And while the spin-off was terrible I was really hoping it was successful just so Tom Keen didn’t have to go back to TBL. I have really been enjoying the Tom-less back half of season 4! Please stay in NY Buddy!

16. jj says:

Let’s just hope they don’t renew Redemption and that Tom don’t return to mother ship. His character just needs to go away. Redemption has no redeeming factor.

17. Lynn says:

I’m so glad to hear this. Ratings isn’t the final decision for this show, when you add in delayed viewing I think it’s like the second most watched show on NBC. They also get a lot of viewings and money from Netflix and internationally. Ratings are down this year because they are in a tougher time slot. I’m glad I stuck with it, it’s so much better now they haven’t been concentrating on Tom or the baby. Sorry, there is no room for a kid on this show or her and Tom playing house. I hope Redemtion is renewed just so they don’t bring Tom back. He was great season one but has had no purpose since then.

18. LMF says:

Great! one of the best shows on TV. At least they got this one right. Love this show

19. Rosemary says:

It’s too predictable. Reddington killing point blank ALL the time. Story doesn’t stay with you.

20. kirads09 says:

I am happy but a bit surprised. Not because this season hasnt been great but because it has focused so much on ending Red/bringing him down it made me wonder if they weren’t wrapping the whole thing up. I do hope Redemption gets a chance for S2 – it was fun to watch.

21. Michael Summerset says:

On it’s own, Redemption isn’t worth renewing. But if NBC wants to take a break showing Blacklist then it could act as a filler. However, I think this season they’re more likely to fill the time with repeats of Blacklist instead.

22. karen p says:

awesome! this is the only network show worth watching. so glad it is renewed for another season

23. So happy to see Blacklist renewed. Yay!

24. Timetraveler says:

I’m so happy the show got renewed! Now, if they keep Agnes in the background, and Tom stays away I’ll be ecstatic. The whole Liz-Tom-baby arc is what dragged the show down for me. If it wasn’t for James Spader as the lead I would have jettisoned the show in season three. So glad I didn’t because the back-half of season four has been terrific!

25. Patrice D says:

Love “The Blacklist”, my fave! I blame lower ratings on NBC’s stupid move of putting them on the Thursday time slot up against powerhouse Shonda Rhymes “This is How You Get Away With Murder”. Really dumb…

26. michelle001- says:

thank God it’s been renewed been excellent these last few wks since the break, hope redemption gets renewed too just so bloody tom stays away