Scandal Recap

Scandal Recap: Who's the Boss?

Following weeks of complicated conspiracies, ridiculous drone strikes and obnoxious ponytailed terrorists, Thursday’s Scandal finally allowed Olivia Pope and Associates to resume business as usual.

Of course, “business as usual” for OPA isn’t any less insane than what we’ve seen in recent weeks. Tasked with proving the innocence of a man on death row, the remaining Gladiators — Quinn, Huck and the other guy — traveled to his backwoods hometown to confront the racist bartender whose testimony led to his arrest. (And I mean this guy was, like, cartoonishly racist.) Anyway, guns were drawn and confessions were awkwardly made, but the fight wasn’t over yet.

Despite Olivia ordering Quinn to drop the case — Liv even told her that she was no longer welcome in her office, Steve Harvey-style — Quinn persisted, marching into the Oval Office and demanding that Fitz grant a pardon. Which he did. And in the end, Liv rewarded Quinn with the keys to the kingdom. (But as TVLine Executive Editor Kim Roots noted to me over AIM: Is this supposed to be an honor? Who else was Liv going to put in charge? Huck? That other guy?)

Back to that annoying terrorist I mentioned earlier: a lovesick David Rosen spent much of Thursday’s episode looking into the true identity of the woman he thought he loved. Was it really Samantha? Or Grace? Or possibly “Ponytail Bitch,” as Abby suggested? Frankly, I would’ve settled on that last one and called it a day. But David Rosen has always boasted the tenacity of a proud woodland beaver, so he just couldn’t let it go. Instead, he sought assistance from Rowan, who literally gift-wrapped the damn woman’s severed head to aid David Rosen in his search.

But because David Rosen doesn’t know the first thing about frozen heads — except how to poke them with chopsticks, which David Rosen seemed oddly excited to do — he invited Jake over to join the post-mortal party. And what he discovered was far more disturbing than just the woman’s name, which did actually turn out to be kind of disturbing in its own right. (Gertrude?!) He also unmasked the criminal mastermind who had been calling the shots for Gertrude (ugh) and Peus all along.

In what is somehow the most and least surprising twist all season, it turns out that Olivia’s mother — good ol’ Maya Lewis, played by Khandi Alexander — was the one pulling the strings this whole time. And she’s baaa-aaack!

Assorted thoughts:

* As much as I wish Marcus would remain in the White House and work with Mellie instead of leaving to run Fitz’s foundation, I can’t say I’m surprised that he rebuffed her request for him to stay. I never took Marcus for one who would live by the rules of Dawson’s Creek.

* Of all the countless pairings this show has assembled in its lengthy history of assembling pairs, I have to admit that David and Abby always made more sense to me than most others — so I was thrilled to see them getting all weird and flirty this week. Maybe they’ll head down the aisle next, right after Quinn and that other guy!

Your thoughts on this week’s big Scandal reveal? Hopes for next week’s two-hour finale? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Brian says:

So glad Maya is back. Please let her be the one to finally take out Rowan.

• GregJ. says:

I agree. For the last couple of weeks I’ve been thinking about her and to see her back feels very satisfying. I hope this carries over into Season 7.

2. Henry says:

“They’ll head down the aisle next…” I see what you did there, lol

3. Peter Allan Ker says:

Great Episode!

I’m liking the David and Abby pairing.

4. madhatter360 says:

I don’t understand the Scandal timeline. They mentioned Clinton and W by name along with 9/11 in this episode but there was also that episode about the former president Cooper who was president in the ’80s.
    Also Charlie is my favorite. Don’t come into my house (via laptop) and disrespect him like that. :)

5. Anna says:

“* Re: the mention of AIM earlier in this recap… Please don’t make fun of me for still using AIM. I’m too fragile to be cyberbullied.”

At least, you didn’t write IRC

6. Ram510 says:

Yay David and Abby!! Happy Maya is back too

7. Andrej says:

Did anyone else notice Hollis Doyle poster behind racist bartender? David asked Rowan if he was ever played by someone like “ponytail woman” played David and then Maya is back. Is the poster of Hollis another clue. Maya and Hollis working together? Hollis sure have enough money to finance all the action that we saw.

• Chris says:

I thought it might be Hollis Doyle too, perhaps working with Jake’s wife – since she’s insanely rich now. I actually thought Maya was gone for good.

8. Doris Bell says:

Stop calling Charlie “that other guy.” I LOVE Charlie. I love George Newbern, who plays Charlie. And I hope Charlie becomes a series regular for the final season. Bite your tongue! I’m hoping we get to see Quarlie’s wedding next season. Again, bite your tongue and show a little respect.

9. Doris Bell says:

Gertrude may not be a very pretty name, and it’s pretty much died out, but it was the name of Hamlet’s mother, who was evidently so beautiful that Claudius murdered his brother so he could marry her. It was also the youngest sister in the All of a Kind Family books, which my daughters read and loved when they were little girls. She was probably called either Gertie or (preferably) Trudy.

10. Caitlin says:

“That other guy” is named Charlie, a well established character on the show. You should have done the bare minimum research for this recap instead of calling him that other guy three separate times.

11. The “big reveal” in this episode of Scandal vies for most predictable twist with what happened in Grey’s Anatomy last night, lather, rinse, repeat, giant yawn!!!

12. Becki says:

Watching last week, I was trying to remember what happened to Olivia’s mom. Not really a surprise.

13. Jennifer Sims says:

What happened to the guy who took the fall for Rowan? Nelson McClintock? Will he rat on Rowan? Seems like it was never tied up. And so many know he was set up. Lot of loose ends. Or did I miss something?

14. Really??? says:

Always knew it was Maya, she’s the only one who has ever been able to really fool Rowan . I looooove Maya, I’m so glad she’s back but she terrifies the heck out of me! I’m so happy there’s a TV screen between us, I’d s*** my pants otherwise (excuse my French)! I love David and Abby together, I really do so leave them there, TO-GE-THER!!! Also, although this is besides the point, I LOOOOVE Jake, I mean, I really doooooo, just because I can! He needs a lot more screen time, killing, talking, walking, whatever… or just let him stand in front of the camera during the whole duration of each episode, because, why not?

15. Kay Phillies says:

The “other guy” you refer to is “CHARLIE” who is played by outstanding George Newbern and he certainly deserves more than being called the “OG” in your review after being on the show since around 2014 and all his other acting work over the years. I know many others beat me to saying it, but I’m a big fan of his work and he plays his role to perfection compared to all the many “scenery chewers” .. CHARLIE/GEORGE .. you are the very best !!!!!!!

Kay

16. Jamie says:

A-yes, always liked David and Abby together.
    B-really? Lives mom? Does this show have an original idea? #alreadybeendownthisroad