Riverdale Season 1 Finale Archie

Riverdale Finale Preview: EP Warns to 'Keep an Eye Out for [Spoiler]'

After last week’s very eventful penultimate episode of Riverdale, what’s left to cover in Thursday’s season finale (The CW, 9/8c)? Well, a lot, apparently.

Yes, we already got an answer to the season-long mystery of who killed Jason Blossom: his dad Cliff, who then took his own life. But executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa promises more thrills to come in the finale: “It has all of the different elements that are great about the show combined into one. There’s music in it, there’s romance, there’s suspense and horror. It’s kind of like the ultimate Riverdale episode.”

As for how to follow up last week’s plot-heavy installment, Aguirre-Sacasa got some good advice about taking a moment to let it all sink in. He remembers his fellow EP Greg Berlanti (The Flash, Arrow) telling him, “‘Make sure in the finale, you leave enough time that you can focus on the characters.’ And it was a really good insight. For all the crazy stuff that happens up to and in the finale… there are quiet moments, and there are quiet scenes between the kids.” In other words, expect to spend some quality time with Riverdale‘s two central romances: Betty and Jughead, and Archie and Veronica.

But there’ll be plenty of action, too, he adds, teasing that the season finale “has our biggest, biggest set piece by far. Actually, several set pieces.” And maybe even another shooting? Aguirre-Sacasa reminds us to look out for the gun that Betty took out of Miss Grundy’s glove compartment way back in Episode 4: “The last we saw that gun, Betty had stolen it, and Alice had the gun. Keep an eye out for that gun. It’s very Chekhovian.”

Got predictions for Thursday’s Riverdale finale? (And theories about what’s up with Archie’s hand in that photo?) Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Gospino says:

I guess someone gets shot? Who and why? I hope something good finally happens for Jughead. He’s had it so rough, give him a little break before being put through the wringer again. Maybe his living situation will change yet again since Fred showed his true colors about not really having Jughead’s back. I wonder if Veronica will learn that her father is released or something similar.

2. Josh says:

We may already know what’s up with Archies hand! He breaks it saving someone from the ice shown in the preview

3. keniri says:

I haven’t caught a single episode of this series and I don’t plan to. I figured they would do something this stupid to the series and turn it into a crime procedural series. Every season will involve someone new getting murdered and the cast spending the season looking for the killer. Sorry, but I get the same kind of stories from Law and Order, Chicago Justice, NCIS. This is just “Archie/Riverdale In Name Only”. Like “Godzilla In Name Only”.

• Santiago says:

In fact, procedurals have different cases each week for 22 episodes. This show had a central murder mystery which envolved the main characters. It’s not just the police, lawyers or whatever working as impartial investigators. All of the characters of the show had some connection with the person killed so that we can discover secrets of the town. And if it happens again, sure it’s going to be someone they know .

• Gospino says:

No, those shows are plot-driven procedurals. This one has much more emphasis on the individual characters and a lot going on besides the central murder mystery. And I believe we don’t know yet if season 2 will have a murder mystery anyway. As you haven’t watched it, you clearly have no ground to stand on when you claim that the show is “Archie in name only” and that you get the “same kind of stories” from other shows.

• TV Gord says:

Your loss. You missed a great season (and I’m waaaaaay out of the target audience). This long-time Archie fan loves what they did with these characters!

4. jlz says:

I have a feeling Fred is going to die. I think Luke Perry is only signed on for the first season. I hope not but I have a feeling. :(

• Gospino says:

I like Luke Perry, but after Fred totally did NOT have Jughead’s back when everyone thought that FP was the killer, my sympathy for him is rather limited at the moment. I wouldn’t much mind if he got killed off. I’d vote for no one dying if I had the choice, though.

5. ScottJ says:

“Cliff, who then took his own life” – or did he?

There’s no secret about Archie’s hand. KJ Apa broke his arm filming this episode. He was running round doing show publicity for weeks with the cast on.