Son of Zorn, Making History and APB Cancelled at Fox After 1 Season

Making History is, well, history. Son of Zorn has drawn his last breath. And it’s R.I.P. for APB.

Fox has cancelled all three rookie series due to low ratings, TVLine has confirmed.

The time travel-themed comedy Making History — which starred Adam Pally and Leighton Meester — saw its 13-episode order scaled back to 9 last fall before launching in March with 2.19 million viewers and an anemic 0.9 demo rating (and that was with the benefit of a Simpsons lead-in). Its series finale is slated to air on May 21.

The partially animated Son of Zorn, meanwhile, premiered respectably in September with 6 million viewers and 2.4 demo rating, but those numbers quickly fell to Earth. Its February series finale attracted 1.5 million/.7 rating.

Lastly, procedural APB bowed in February with 6 million/1.5 and ended its 12-episode run in April with 2.7 mil/0.7.

1. Alichat says:

Bummer. I rather enjoyed APB.

• R says:

Me too. I kept waiting for Murphy to become Robocop.

• Kevin Tran says:

Couldn’t agree more. APB was a mix between Person of Interest and RoboCop.

• KayCeeCee says:

Me too! Why do you think that the ratings dropped so much?

• Alichat says:

That’s a good question. I liked the cast and thought they gelled. And the stories were interesting. I don’t recall seeing alot of promotion for it though. And to be fair, maybe I miss Fox’s promotions because I only watch a couple of shows on Fox, but I just didn’t see alot for this show or for the Sleepy Hollow reboot season. With other networks, you see alot of promotion on the network and cross promotion on other networks. I’m not saying they needed to do USA Network levels of promotion, but something in between.

• KLS says:

FOX promoted both 24 and APB to death during the Super Bowl. It made a more than expected drop at episode three and never recovered. The poor showing of 24 hurt it a lot, as well as an unlikeable lead and poor writing in the first five episodes. (IMHO)

• Jared says:

Fox chose to spend most of their promotion on 24: Legacy and Prison Break this season. The best part is that APB’s ratings weren’t far off from either of those shows.

• KLS says:

Poor lead-in by 24:Legacy, questionable casting, poor writing in first five episodes. All of this adds up to poor ratings and cancellation. BTW: FOX used top air time during Super Bowl for both 24 and APB to help them get a good start. Neither one did well.

• tjj says:

Agreed. I thought the writing was getting stronger as the season went on. And officer Murphy was an awesome, badass female lead.

• TvPeong says:

I enjoyed it too. Kinda saw it as who Bruce Wayne could be if he worked with the police rather than as a vigilante.

• Jo Garret says:

Making History was fun! Shame. Now, is the cast of Happy Endings free to do another season??

• katsssblog says:

Adam will maybe go back to Mindy Project, since this is the last season, and Elisha is doing The Ranch, Casey is pregnant, so I don’t think so. :/

2. Red Snapper says:

I never really expected Son of Zorn or Making History to be renewed but I’m still a little bummed. I enjoyed both shows, especially Son of Zorn which was funny and original.

3. Kevin Tran says:

With Making History getting the ax, looks like the fresh crops of time traveling shows that includes Time After Time (ABC) and Timeless (NBC) truly clocks out.

• Mark says:

maybe thats why 12 monkeys has been released all in one go and same with the next season — seems time travel has run its course for the time being

• Misha Lauenstein says:

Don’t forget stale-unexpectedly-became-a-time-travel-show Sleepy Hollow.

4. lifeofanoddball says:

Fox has cancelled like 5 shows. Scream Queens hasn’t been mentioned yet, I’m hopeful for a third season

5. kmw says:

No surprises with these ones. Although expected its a bummer for fans especially APB, since it was pretty steady, not great but ok. It is really sad that FOX will end up renewing that disaster called 24

6. DC says:

I liked apb. It had the makings of a great show. But they also cancelled rosewood .

I am not the demo for son of zorn , and I found making history very subpar. It started ok , but when it brought Sam Adams and John Hancock to the future , and couldn’t figure out how to use Paul reveres daughter , it suffered from poor writing . Too bad . Could’ve been funnier and a back to the future type series .

7. Jared says:

So every time travel series got canned this season lol

8. Anne says:

I LOVED Making History. I mean, I figured it was going to get cancelled cause the network clearly hated it
    Sigh. Between this and Timeless….socially aware smart time travel is taking a beating

9. fiberlicious says:

I liked APB, but the last episode made it clear that the producers expected it to be cancelled. I’ll miss it.

10. Max says:

I didn’t like Making History because Adam Pally was basically playing Adam Pally. The same character as in Happy Endings and Mindy. As a supporting character, fine. As a lead, he’s a little too much.

11. Gerald says:

I hope Fox has a good bunch of pilots for the fall.

12. Raven says:

I really enjoyed APB! Why don’t the networks give decent shows time to grow an audience only to put more crap on they cancel after 3 episodes! The iconic show All In The Family would never be the iconic show it is without giving it time to work the kinks out and grow to be one of the most socially relevant shows in history. Their first year was not a rating winner but it grew and grew!

13. Jason says:

I wonder why FOX hasn’t announced Scream Queens cancellation? Is it possible it’s getting an eleventh hour renewal with a mostly new cast? It’s strange they wouldn’t just announce it’s gone already since it has seemed for months it was officially over with. Why hold the announcement?

• Ann says:

That show is terrible and very low-rated, but FOX isn’t going to cancel it for another two or three seasons because it’s a Ryan Murphy show and the network wants to make good with him for bringing Glee to the network and possibly future shows that he produces. It’s all about keeping him happy.

14. Marissa L says:

I hope this means better chances for Brooklyn Nine-Nine and New Girl getting renewed.

15. Sherri says:

This blows. APB was good. It was funny with action and just general fun.

16. Deion says:

I really did enjoy APB. Would have been nice to see the aftermath of the finale.

17. pickles says:

Adam Pally and his mean political views can go for sure.

18. Polly says:

noooooooooooooooooo!
    not Zorn!
    i’m so sad. so very very sad.

• LB says:

Same, same. I knew it was going to be tough to find a huge audience, but man oh man, was it a fun, hilarious show! Nothing else like it on tv–I feel so sad about this one.

19. Matt says:

Cancelled TV shows for $200, Alex.

Here’s your clue…stupid, dumb, ridiculous, ludicrous, all rolled into one.

What is “Making History, ” Alex?

That is correct, whoa, that show was a piece of work, huh? Really bad work.

20. HtotheB says:

Nooo – I loved Making History. It was so ridiculously silly.

John Hancock & Sam Adams – what will we do without your wacky adventures?

Guess it turned out to be a bad year for Time Travel TV.

21. Catherine says:

Bummed about Making History. APB – I still have all 12 episodes on my DVR unwatched. SOZ – not for me so couldn’t care less.

22. jenn says:

I enjoyed Making History. Hulu….?

23. fatalsin says:

Dang it… I LOVED making history… it was so funny.. sam adams and john hancock were hilarious…. and I loved seeing leighton in something so different from blair on gossip girl… and i did like APB I knew it would never make it tho.. and Ive never seen son of zorn it didnt appeal to me…

24. retsim says:

I will miss APB Thought it had potential .

25. Dan Char says:

But, but, that was a good show! 😞

26. anonymous says:

Does anybody else here thinks that Zorn reminds you of He-Man or Thundarr the Barbarian?

27. ninagiovanni says:

I really wanted to like Making History and this show had so much potential to be a comical version of Timeless. The jokes just didn’t catch and I think the writers felt that just being a tool could make a good funny series but great cast thought just terrible writing.

28. Era says: