Kelly Clarkson The Voice Coach Season 14 NBC

Kelly Clarkson Joins The Voice as Season 14 Coach Amid Idol Chatter

Sorry, American Idol: Kelly Clarkson is taking her famous voice to… The Voice.

The singer and former Idol winner has signed on to join NBC’s singing competition as a coach for Season 14, the network announced on Thursday. Clarkson will join veteran coaches Blake Shelton and Adam Levine in the big red chairs for that season, which is set to air in the spring of 2018; the fourth judge for that season hasn’t yet been named.

Clarkson launched her multi-platinum recording career on another TV singing competition: American Idol, where she won the inaugural season back in 2002. Idol has just been revived by ABC for next season, and there were rumors that Clarkson and other former winners might come back to serve as judges — but this news puts a halt to all that.

“I’m so excited to join The Voice at NBC,” Clarkson said in a statement. “We’ve gone back and forth about a role as a coach for years, but the timing hasn’t been right until now. I have always loved appearing on the show as an adviser or performer and established an amazing relationship with the network during my Christmas special. I can’t wait to turn my chair and see the faces of up-and-coming artists and provide them with the help and support they’ve needed to break into the industry. Watch out Shelton, I’m comin’ to win!!”

Will you tune in to The Voice just to see Kelly in that big red chair? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Haz says:

That’s a little surprising. I for sure thought ABC would have aggressively tried to hire her for their AI reboot. If the Marc Cherry show starring Reba doesn’t go forward I kind of hope they try to bring her on as a judge for the AI reboot.

• Lizzie says:

Rumor is that Idol wouldn’t meet Kelly’s salary “demands” which if they weren’t way more than Jennifer Lopez (who is more dancer than singer), wouldn’t have been outrageous at all. If Idol had seriously wanted to get Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Clarkson, they could have done so. No clue why Jennifer Hudson would agree to work on a Voice season with Miley Cyrus on it, though.

2. Adam says:

Score one for NBC! Can you imagine the speed this week in which she was pursued and signed? Good for her.

• chadcronin says:

Here’s the thing. NBC was gonna Bring American Idol back and Kelly and Jennifer were probably 2 of their picks to be judges, as soon as they lost the bid to ABC last week they probably immediately did everything they could to lock them down for The Voice as they most likely had already been in talks with both of them already.

3. TV Fanatic says:

Dang! Really wanted her on Idol – not a fan of The Voice (cough-Blake Shelton-cough)…

4. abz says:

Looks like I may have to start watching The Voice again. Now if only they can bring Christina Aguilera back and we can hear the two duet at some point please.

5. Michael says:

Lmao am I the only one that finds this amusing

6. John036 says:

I find it hilarious that The Voice snatched to potential AI judges

7. nickp91 says:

It was just NBC know the return of American Idol by ABC that was trying to hire Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Clarkson

8. JJ says:

Isn’t the 4th chair Jennifer Hudson?

9. Stan says:

Has there ever been a contestant on The Voice that went on to success after their time on the show was over? Only a handful of American Idol contestants can really say that, and I can’t think of one Voice contestant.

10. I’ve not been a fan of The Voice since Christina Aguilera left but this will bring me back.

11. Yes. And because Miley will be gone. Would mot watch with her on and I miss the show.

12. Carla Krae says:

Okay, that’s a season I’ll be interested in. Kelly fan since Idol season 1.

13. Phil Ahumada says:

Having Kelly Clarkson as a new addition to the Voice will definitely add to the excitement of the show! Watching her perform piece by piece for the first time was nothing next to amazing!!! Please bring back Gwen Stephani!!! The banter between her and Blake is one of the reasons we watch the show.

• Lizzie says:

Gwen isn’t a good coach, and she isn’t an award winning singer, just a performer who has somehow managed to sell records. Her constant talk about style and stage presence instead of vocal quality, is very tiring.

14. Gailer says:

I hope this means their plans are to bring back the judges that made Idol what it was, the original judges.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Simon Cowell is too busy running his own shows (America’s Got Talent, his British shows) to do AI.

15. Diane says:

I’m sorry Kelly won’t be joining Idol. Too bad Ryan Seacrest would have too much travel to do both Idol and his new morning gig. Idol had its faults but entirely a much better show than The Voice, or maybe I have just let Blake and Gwen lean on my last nerve!! Lots of talent has been showcased on both Idol and The Voice.

16. Duanna says:

She is going to be awesome to watch on The Voice!

17. Flora lee Mcfee says:

Love Kelly Clarkson……Should be fun with her and Blakey both country singers…… Can’t wait!!!!!??

18. Pragmatic Polly says:

Why does it put a halt to Idol using former talent? They have a large pool of successful contestants. And frankly Kelly kinda sucked on Duets.

19. Jimmy says:

I’m so freaking mad about this because I wanted her on Idol.

20. Jimmy says:

I guess it’s up to Idol to get Carrie now.

21. Johnson says:

The demise of Idol on FOX, was not the number of views, but that the Host and Celebrity Judges (especially J. Lo,) and former Idol builders that still had their hand in the pie,,, had reached such high-pay contracts and had driven the cost to produce so high, that FOX was losing money on the show..They had to kill it and the new network will have to set some reasonable boundaries on what they pay a Judge. There are thousands of people who could act as Judges and do well. They don’t need to be mega-famous, the show will make them famous if it succeeds. To get 5 to 7 million views is good for most networks in the early to mid-evening, yet The network was losing money on it. TMZ also made mention of the fact that it wasn’t the number of views, but the Celebrity costs that made it fold.

22. Imagecrafters says:

Good news. Maybe I’ll watch again.

23. Theresa M says:

I sure will be turning in to see Kelly Clarkson as a judge I think she has been a great adviser in the past . Kelly should be even more of a awesome judge.
    Can not wait.

24. pnecdc214 says:

Huge Kelly fan so I’ll be watching. However I’m still sad. Idol is the better show & it needed her at the beginning & as it starts again. This is simple .. Her husband manages Blake. I don’t care about any network but if Fox can do original programming & get out of talent show overload it may be glad in a few yrs. it lost out.

25. JKR says:

I would have wanted to see her on Idol, but I can see why she’d pass. She did a show with ABC already, Duets.. which ended up not being such a great experience.

• Johnson says:

True, whatever show that was, Kelly Clarkson was the first of the 4 coaches to lose all her contestants. She didn’t do so so well as a talent scout . The other coaches were John Legend, Robin Thicke and Jennifer Nettles. think It only lasted one short season and was never renewed.

26. Teresa Evans says:

I like to see Kelly Clarkson on the voice we need more country singers

27. Teresa Evans says:

I hope Kelly Clarkson joins the voice but what about Jennifer Hudson she would be another good one

28. KANITHA NELSON says:

Kelly will be so great for the show, she is funny and smart. The voice will be more attraction to watch now,can’t wait.