Arrow Oliver Birthday

Arrow Photos: Oliver's Birthday... Crashed by [Spoiler] and [Spoiler]?

“A lull in the storm” that is Adrian Chase allows Oliver Queen to celebrate his birthday on-screen for the first time, as seen in these new photos from The CW’s Arrow.

In the penultimate Season 5 episode, titled “Missing” and airing Wednesday, May 17, Felicity organizes a birthday party for Oliver, while Lance is furious in the wake of Rene missing the custody hearing for his daughter, and Black Siren returns to abet Chase.

Throwing Oliver a party “was one of those ideas that we always talked about doing,” co-showrunner Wendy Mericle previously told TVLine. “We celebrated Thea’s birthday in a very dark way in the past — she crashes a car, under the influence, all kinds of things,” but Oliver’s appears to be a more festive and less felonious affair. “It’s a lull in the storm,” says Mericle, “and it’s a nice moment with the team.”

The new photos also preview the return of recently reinstated series regular Katie Cassidy, as Black Siren (“Earth-Two has afforded us some amazing storytelling possibilities,” says Mericle) as well as Malcolm Merlyn, who as of late had been vexing the Legends of Tomorrow. “Malcolm helped [Team Arrow] at the end of Season 4, but he also went after Oliver’s son in the middle of Season 4,” the EP notes, “so I think like always with Malcolm, you never know where you stand. You’re always a little bit off balance even if you think he’s on your side.”

Want more scoop on Arrow, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Lizzie says:

Oliver’s birthday party decs are green. Lmao Felicity! I’m glad we’re seeing a birthday party. It’s about time!

I feel sorry for Lance though, being kidnapped by the evil version of his daughter. He doesn’t deserve this!

• Ray says:

I think she is a working for Oliver. He said it was his goal to help her and I think Oliver puts her out there to help get his son back out of desperation.

• Lizzie says:

Um, she chained up Quentin and Thea and I’m pretty sure she kidnaps Dinah. She’s working for Chase.

• Charley says:

Hmmm I didn’t think about the possibility of Black Siren being a ‘plant’….wow! Interesting!

2. GIBRIL says:

Arrow is the best I know all about him olie oliver green arrow.

3. Fosho says:

So excited to see the 3 most important people in Oliver’s life celebrate his birthday. Nice way to end the season before all the bad happens.

4. Stacey says:

Wow! Thea, Malcolm, and Black Siren, sign me up! Poor Lance, can not be easy to see E2 Laurel. Overall, after a bumpy start, this season has been wonderful. What a recovery from S4. Better yet, they are fixing some mistakes and seem to be setting up Olicity the right way this time around. Excited for the last two episodes!

5. datdudemurphy says:

The less “Olicity” the better. Just give me an awesome final couple episodes.
    Finish strong.

6. aaron says:

Black Siren=perfection

7. Angie Sharp says:

More Olicity please!! Hopefully they end up back together, don’t know why they were even broken up.

• More Olicity? You must be new here…

• Rendezvous says:

Can you please go watch Gilmore Girls, Pretty Little Liars, Desperate Housewives etc. instead of promoting your garbage. Olicity is the bane of this show moron. It needs to die.

• Charley says:

Why can’t you have an opinion without insulting someone else’s? Certainly it diminishes respect and credibility of anything you post. I like Olicity…especially now… but I did not like the ridiculous soap opera of last year. So I do understand many people’s frustration with it.

• Sara says:

I also like Olicity.

8. Gloria says:

I don’t really care about actor’s love interest in a show but I hate this Felicity so much.I had to stop watching Arrow when it became the olicity show.I just can’t stand her.

• Charley says:

I LOVED Felicity Seasons 1-3… Felicity arc Season 4b and 5a was poorly handled and tough to watch… (as was Diggle, Curtis…) I am enjoying 5b so much more!!!

• Sara says:

I agree. Loved her in the beginning but when it became a soap opera, I did not enjoy it but I am liking where they are now.

9. Ashley says:

Where’s Nyssa? The article announcing her return said she would be back for a “multi-episode arc.” There are only 2 left. I realize that 2 counts as “multi” but I was hoping for more, and it doesn’t look like we will see much of her in the next one. :(

10. Muffy says:

I thought it was going to be at a club for old times sake. I know he’s the Mayor now but they have big parties too.

11. Sara says:

Aside from the fact that she is obviously busy with an alien invasion – I have to watch these shows and wonder why no one on Arrow or The Flash ever think to go ask Supergirl for her help.

She could go rescue the team, have them off the island and capture Chase and this team in about 5 minutes.

12. Maria says:

Can people really stop with this soap opera crap?! Seriously this whole show is a soap opera. Comic books are soap operas. Just cause he’s in love with Felicity and not Laurel doesn’t make what they have a soap opera.