ABC Orders Five Shows to Series, Led by Jason Ritter's The Gospel of Kevin

ABC has blessed a quintet of new shows with series orders — including one about a man with a higher calling.

The network has picked up spiritual dramedy The Gospel of Kevin, political comedy The Mayor, refugee drama The Crossing and Shondaland legal drama For the People for next season, TVLine has learned. Also, the network handed out a series order to the untitled Zach Braff comedy formerly known as Start-Up.

The Gospel of Kevin stars Jason Ritter (Parenthood) as a down-and-out guy who’s visited by a celestial being and given a mission to save the world. JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Once Upon a Time) co-stars as Kevin’s sister Amy.

The Mayor stars Brandon Micheal Hall (Search Party) as a young rapper who runs for mayor as a publicity stunt and actually gets elected. Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) and Lea Michele (Glee) co-star.

The Crossing stars Steve Zahn (Modern Family) and Natalie Martinez (APB) in a time-travel story where American war refugees from the future travel back in time to present-day America, seeking asylum. Watch a teaser:

For the People stars Britne Olford (The Flash) and Lyndon Smith (The Originals) as young lawyers handling high-stakes federal cases and juggling their busy personal lives. Shonda Rhimes is onboard as an executive producer.

Start Up ABC Zach BraffFinally, Zach Braff will headline an untitled comedy (fka Start-Up) about a husband and father who decides to quit his job and start his own company from scratch. Tiya Sircar (The Good Place) and Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos) co-star.

Got early thoughts on these five new ABC shows? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Ben says:

I’ll give the crossing a go. I like Steve Zahn.

2. iHeart says:

so I guess it’s safe to say that Scream Queens is Cancelled

• Aytac says:

Even if it gets a third season, Lea won’t return to the show. But I don’t think there is a chance for this. Keke also got another gig. Billie Lourd will be in AHS.

3. Lyndy says:

Complete Friday makeover…wonder which ones will be scheduled end of week

4. laurelnev says:

The Crossing sounds even worse than Alcatraz or that Lily Rabe show about Drill…

ABC–STOP canceling the good stuff and replacing it with drivel!

5. Rebecca Parker says:

I was hoping Doomsday would make the cut. I guess it not being included here means they won’t be picking it up, which is disappointing.

6. Adam says:

I’m sorry? A time travel series? LMAO! Good job ABC. You’re definitely going to win this upcoming season now! Excited about For the people though…

• Temperance says:

It’s not a time travel series. It’s a series about what happens when 47 people from the future return in time from a ruined future earth. It’s a geopolitical drama.

7. Alex Breakaway says:

Seriously time travel again, ABC saw that literally every new Time Travel show was canceled (including their own) and then they decided that it was a good idea to order a time travel show for the upcoming season

8. Michael says:

All these won’t make it to mid season

9. Dannie C says:

I will probably check out The Gospel of Kevin, love Jason’s acting

10. Jess says:

I will be checking out the Crossing

11. Luis Roman says:

Wait, they’re remaking “Joan of Arcadia,” with Jason Ritter in the lead role? Is Amber Tamblyn going to play his sister?

12. Red Snapper says:

I’m glad they picked up The Crossing. It was the only new show on ABC, besides Inhumans, that I was interested in. Plus, I love Steve Zahn.

13. Shib says:

Sound like 4 flops

14. Pipes says:

To be fair, the ABC pilot stable was pretty barren, Though the Crossing seemed like the best of the bunch, but I’m also a sucker for time travel themes. Again though, I don’t really care much as long as Shield gets renewed, it’s the only show I have investment in anymore over on ABC. I am getting a bit tired of the Shondaland offerings though. I’m guessing this one will replace The Catch during the HTGAWM hole during the spring.

15. T.W.S.S. says:

Waiting for that Shield renewal.

16. Lauren says:

Rooting so hard for Jason Ritter! His pilots never seem to go/or last very long but he is so likable!

17. Zach Braff playing a guy in his mid-30’s? the guy is closer to mid-40’s. At least it’s cool that they cast Tiya Sircar another show, she is awesome.

18. Butch says:

In present day America they won’t be welcome. They should change the setting to Canada for realism.

19. Peter Alexandris says:

Im hoping The Good Doctor gets picked up too

20. Wendy says:

“For The People” sounds like Conviction (2006), the show that had Alex Cabot of SVU as a bureau chief to a bunch of new young lawyers who also juggled their personal lives.

21. Jared says:

The Crossing looks like a cancellation just waiting to happen.

22. kathy finnegan says:

Cant believe Last Man Standing was cancelled. Its a nice show the whole family can watch together. Another disappointment from ABC

23. digitalred93 says:

Big fan of both Braff and the Start Up podcast. Looking forward to seeing what they do what the series.

24. Ray says:

Not a winner among them.

25. Joey Padron says:

Happy Jason Ritter and Zach Braff’s new shows got ordered to series! Looking forward to check out both shows.

26. Laurel says:

JoAnna Garcia Swisher is a show killer, so The Gospel of Kevin won’t make it. They mayor sounds dumb. I may try the rest, though For the People seems like its been done before and idk if I can watch a show with someone in it who spells their name Britne.

27. Is The Gospel Of Kevin a Leftovers spin-off?!?!!? Hahaha

28. Ally Oop says:

The Crossing sounds worth watching. Hopefully this will get a fall launch.

29. LaDonna says:

The Crossing sounds interesting. I’ll also try For the People (cuz yeah, I’m a sucker for Shonda’s shows), but it better keep my attention better than The Catch. And because I love Jason Ritter, I’ll probably check out The Gospel of Kevin.

30. Iakovos says:

THE GOSPEL OF KEVIN sounds promising to me. And Ritter understands being part of the wonderful JOAN OF ARCADIA back in the day. Maybe the tide is turning and we will get less of the convoluted complicated high concepts shows that cannot sustain, the freaky crazy dramas aim to shock without suspense, and the bland procedurals.

31. Lisa says:

I’m not going to start watching new ABC shows because I have been so unlucky the last 2years. Everything I was getting into got cancelled and I mean everything!
    Either it’s just my dumb luck or I pick the worst shows to get into!!!

32. Jessica leigh says:

So excited for The Gospel of Kevin. Jason Ritter never disappoints

33. Mary Kelly says:

Do not watch ABC and from this, see no reason to change that

34. Tracy says:

Won’t be watching any of these shows

35. Tracy says:

I refuse to watch abc since they took all my children and one life to live