Reisdent Fox Drama New

Matt Czuchry-Emily VanCamp Drama The Resident Ordered to Series at Fox

The Good Wife‘s Matt Czuchry and Revenge‘s Emily VanCamp are officially scrubbing back into TV: The duo’s medical drama, The Resident, has been formally ordered to series at Fox, TVLine has learned.

The Resident — written and EP’d by Amy Holden Jones (ABC’s Black Box), and Code Black duo Hayley Schore and Roshan Sethi — centers on Devon Pravesh (played by Halt and Catch Fire‘s Manish Dayal), an idealistic young doctor who begins his first day under the supervision of a tough, brilliant senior resident, Conrad Hawkins (played by Czuchry), who pulls the curtain back on all of the good and evil in modern day medicine. Lives may be saved or lost, but expectations will always be shattered. VanCamp plays Nic, an attractive nurse who also happens to the on-again-off-again romantic fling of Czuchry’s Conrad.

The cast also includes Bruce Greenwood (American Crime Story) and Shaunette Wilson (Billions).

This marks the fourth series order from Fox ahead of next week’s upfront presentation, joining Marvel’s mutant drama The Gifted and comedies Ghosted and LA to Vegas.

1. LK says:

Too bad Emily is stuck in the “attractive nurse” “on-and-off love interest” role… seems like a waste of her talents.

• Jooshua says:

I just clicked here to say this. She deserves so much better. She’s Emily Thorne and she’s related to Peggy Carter dammit! She should at least be playing the brilliant senior resident. If she has to be a supporting player she could at least show up as the bad-ass Sharon Carter on Agents of SHIELD!

• Summer says:

I would love it if they swapped van Camp’s role with Czuchry’s. Let her be the badass senior resident and let him play the nurse.

• Paul says:

This, It’s a shame that the female lead is just a sexy nurse, while men play both the wide-eyed doctor and the cynical mentor. You can have a man play the wide-eyed doctor, a woman play the cynical mentor and a man play the sexy nurse. More balanced.

• LK says:

That would be a better show… and certainly less generic.

• analythinker says:

Agreed!!

• Kathy says:

Does anyone have to play a “sexy nurse?” Perhaps she is playing a smart and savvy nurse who also happens to be attractive (because on TV everyone is attractive, yes?). Perhaps she is playing a kick ass nurse. Let’s not assume that nurses are somehow “less than” doctors . Nurses are the backbone of our healthcare system, so let’s not sell them short, shall we?

• Paul says:

The show is short-selling nurses. Not me. Notice how the character breakdown has zero about her character or her work as a nurse.

• tw says:

Now THAT would be awesome.

• Dennis says:

Ummmm you do realize that many nurses have more seniority on the medical floor than a senior resident right? She could be playing a Nurse Manager or a Nurse Practitioner with seniority!
      I agree that she shouldn’t be labeled the “attractive nurse” but hey, Emily is a very talented AND attractive actress, so good for her — and good for the show! Emily is smart, she chooses her roles wisely and I’m sure this role will stand out, too. Give her a chance everyone :)

• Paul says:

It’s not so much that she is a nurse, but the fact her entire description revolves around being attractive and being a romantic interest, The men described actually have character. It’s so representative of Sexism in Hollywood. “Let’s make this show about doctors. And throw in a sexy nurse for eye-candy”.

• quang says:

There’s nothing really inherently demeaning about playing a nurse and love interest. Rosario Dawson is both of those things in the Netflix Marvel shows, yet she stills rocks out in the role and no one thinks less of her for it.

• Paul says:

Of course there is. The breakdown of the character says nothing about who who is. She’s there to be “attractive” and serve as “an on/off love interest”. Notice how both men, in their breakdown, have their personality and motivations described instead of being there for the purpose of being an accessory.

• Stacey says:

Could not agree more. I feel the same way.

• Ally Oop says:

I think there’s much more to the role than the brief character descriptor lets on. I am actually thrilled that the show features a nurse as a main character. I hate that on shows like Grey’s nurses are put in the background even though they do like 90% of the actual work in hospitals. And I’m sure Emily Van Camp picked a role she thought would be good for her. The girl does have options y’all.

2. Iris says:

They had me at “Bruce Greenwood”, but the whole cast seems great. I’m in.

3. SamofSherwood says:

Another?! medical show *yawn*

4. Guy says:

Sounds incredibly generic. Everyone involved deserves better.

5. Dev says:

Sounds like a boring, generic medical show. I like Matt and Emily, but I’ll pass.

6. Dennis says:

Yes!!!!!! So excited for Emily Van Camp! Will definitely watch this!

7. justsomeguy says:

Honestly, I’d rather they just try to to get Hugh Laurie to do House again than do this. I’m surprised Emily VanCamp wanted to do this. From Revenge, to Marvel movies to this? That’s definitely a step backwards, imo.

• Ally Oop says:

Maybe not. There’s probably more to the role. She’s an in demand actress. She had various offers and she chose this show so the role must have held interest for her. Let’s just wait and see.

8. ToyCannon says:

I hope Fox is leaving room for season 4 of “Gotham.”

9. Michael says:

zzzzzz sounds like every other medical drama, prob wont last long

10. Eran says:

Sorry but who the hell, under 50, is named Conrad?!

11. Haz says:

Outside of House has Fox had any luck with medical shows? Red Band Society and The Mob Doctor were both one and done and medical shows in general have struggled Heartbeat and Pure Genuis come to mind. I also agree with the other comments regarding VanCamps role unless the premise has possibly been retooled.

12. David Bamberger says:

I kinda hate to see the Code Black folks involved. Sounds like the final death sentence for Code Black itself. I still held out some faint hope that it would be saved at the eleventh hour.

13. Lyndy says:

I’d rather have Emily in this supporting role than in nothing at all. I miss her so much. I am looking forward to this. I hope she plays more than just a LI.

14. Donna says:

That sounds really really bad.
    And also, we already had this show. It was called ER. And the idealistic young doctor was named John Carter. And it was brilliant.

15. Drewer says:

What happened to Freddie Highmore; I thought he was cast in this? And as a female med student I honestly don’t care if the lead female is a nurse or doctor, some really amazing, intelligent, talented females (like my mom and two of my best friends are nurses) so long as there are some female doctors are in this hospital somewhere who cares if the lead character is an awesome nurse!

• Paul says:

Well, if the breakdown in anyway implied she was “an awesome nurse”, I’d agree. “Attractive on/off love interest” doesn’t sound like that.

• I somehow thought Freddie Highmore was signed to a different medical show, about a young doctor on the autism spectrum, possibly from someone connected with HOUSE.

Emily Vancamp being on my screen again is a good thing. Would I rather see Sharon Carter made a regular on a renewed AGENTS OF SHIELD? Probably, but I’ll give this a chance.

• Jason says:

Freddie is in The Good Doctor, which is going to be on ABC, not Fox. It’s coming this September too. Seems like this season is going to be busy with new medical dramas.

16. Barbara says:

I love all medical shows, especially Code Black. Hope it’s not gone. Looking forward to this new one.

17. Jennifer says:

Not sure, but with the cast involved, I’ll give it a chance.

18. LMF says:

Good. I like both of them. Van Camp is a good actress. Lets see where it goes. Wish they would bring back revenge..Pure Genius was another good show they didn’t give chance..

19. dsrbroadway says:

Love the blonds but MANISH DAYAL!!

20. James says:

Raj is alive!

21. katsssblog says:

I just want to see Emily in something similar to Revenge, Season 1 Revenge. She was briliant in that role.

22. jbj says:

The show does not sound watchable, but that Manish Dayal is yummy. My mom and I agreed that he was the only reason we finished watching The 100 Foot Journey.

23. DW says:

Good for Matt Czuchry! After TGW great to see him in something new. Way too much negativity in the comments here. Way too much.

24. Jordan says:

Do we know which medical specialty they’re supposed to be in? Bruce Greenwood’s character has “Chief of Surgery” written on his white coat, but none of the descriptions make reference to the residents being surgeons.

25. Not to immediately go for the ship angle, but…holy cow…those two are going to have serious sizzle.

26. Ally Oop says:

Yay! I wanted this one picked up the most. I love the cast.

27. Andrea says:

I’ll definitely be giving this one a try.

28. Haddy says:

I love Emily VanCamp but this seems like a yawner. Too bad.