Jennifer Hudson The Voice

Jennifer Hudson Joins The Voice as Coach for Season 13

A real dreamgirl is filling one of The Voice‘s red chairs: Jennifer Hudson will serve as a coach during Season 13 of NBC’s musical competition series, the network announced Wednesday.

Hudson — who starred in the big-screen Dreamgirls and NBC’s Hairspray Live! — will join fellow coaches Miley Cyrus, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton this fall. The Oscar and Grammy winner is also, of course, an alumna of another TV singing contest, American Idol (which is returning to ABC next season), finishing seventh in Season 3 back in 2004.

“Jennifer is an extraordinary vocal talent and one of the premier voices of our time,” NBC alternative and reality group president Paul Telegdy said in a statement. “She embodies the experience, expertise, positivity and sheer talent that The Voice stands for. Her exceptional skills as a singer and actress have extended to film, television and Broadway, which makes her an incredible addition and a natural fit for our show.”

Are you excited to see what Jennifer Hudson brings to The Voice? Drop your thoughts on her addition in the comments below.

1. Temperance says:

She was a coach on the last season of the Voice UK. Boy George moved from the UK show to the Australian show this season as well.

2. Lostie48 says:

Thats a power move for NBC i love it

3. Eve says:

Sorry but I would prefer Alicia stay.

• skrable2 says:

NBC probably would as well. But she made the call on her own to work on her music. I hope she comes back at some point

• DL says:

Me too. Alicia just lights up the screen every time she’s on. I’d really love to see a three-woman judging panel, plus Blake. Adam needs to take some time off. Been really disappointed in his coaching this season — I feel like he’s phoned it in for everyone except Jesse.

• Troll says:

Yes, Adam made some strange decisions this year and doesn’t have a potential winner in Jesse. With a big cut coming next week, Adam could be riding the pine for the finale.

4. Fosho says:

Might be the first season I skip in 12 seasons. Too bad. Like her music but that’s it.

5. B says:

Her contestant won on the Voice UK.

6. Sam says:

It’s odd that you fail to mention her stint on the UK voice which is probably what pushed NBC to go after her after seeing how great she was over there.

7. Paul says:

Girl, they are rebooting American Idol. What are you going to do The Voice for?

• skrable2 says:

She wants to be on a better show?

• Temperance says:

Then she should have gone with Idol.

• DL says:

Idol hasn’t been good since the original trio of judges. Often it was cringe-worthy. The Voice, meanwhile, has better talent and better banter with the coaches. Doesn’t mean Idol can’t regain the crown, but given the show’s long up-and-down history, it’s really hard to say it was a better show, especially considering how consistent The Voice has been the entire time.

• Piers says:

If the Voice has better talent why hasn’t it produced a single star in all of those seasons? For me the Voice falls short of Idol in nearly every aspect. Carson is no Ryan Seacrest. The talent roster is mostly failed also rans. There’s too much attention on the judges’ inanity. And The battle rounds are unnecessary.

• Gailer says:

I thought her for Idol too, but I would love Paula Randy

• Piers says:

I’d love Adam Lambert, Babyface, and either Miranda Lambert or Shania Twain for Idol. Singer/songwriters who really know the business.

• KLS says:

The Voice is about the judges. American Idol is more about the contestants, but just barely. Maybe she wants more exposure with a different audience?

• Troll says:

The last couple years of Idol was all about Jennifer Lopez. The camera’s were on her far more than any contestant. Over the past few years, I haven’t noticed any fast-rising super-star singers coming out of Idol either, I think their last 4 winners were Trent Harmon, Nick Fradiani, Caleb Johnson and Candice Glover. They are all very good singers in my opinion, but many of the repeat Billboard hit-makers today are coming out of Hip-Hop, Rap, hot bad-boy, sexy-girl new Pop singers — not out of Idol or the Voice,… yet you will see Voice singers like Danielle Bradbury, Cassadee Pope, Rae Lynn — in the Country charts sometimes.

• brandy says:

Seriously! Why do I feel like she’s a traitor? haha

• Candy says:

Traitor to a show she came in 7th on? Hardly.

• Johnson says:

Idol systematically killed itself by grossly over-paying Celebrity contracts as the show grew and then declined in views. Instead of reeling-in the pay scale, they kept trying to pay more money to other “Celebrities” and trying to get back up into the 15 – 20 million views — Nikki and Mariah caused a major decline as Judges together, then I read that they were contracting J. Lo at 16 to 18 million and Seacrest at around 20 million. Fox lost money the last 2 years of the show, according to what I read at the time. It wasn’t because there wasn’t a competitive number of views per show against other networks, but because the Celebrity contracts and other production costs were eating-up any chance for a profit.

8. goodbuytruck says:

I am very glad to see Alicia go away. She reaches a level of disingenuous in the show that surpasses even that of Christina. Alicia truly disgusts me. I cringe at over half of what comes out of her mouth.

Will be glad to see Miley back for another try, and will certainly welcome Jennifer H.

9. Jules says:

Love her. I’ll miss Alicia, but happy to see J-Hud, too.

• Troll says:

Jennifer might be good competition for the other chairs. Look forward to her stint as a Coach.. A fresh new voice might be a good thing.

10. Gailer says:

Just curious, what has happened to XTina?

• Johnson says:

All I know is that Xtina supposedly still has dubs on a chair if she wants it, but is into other ventures and not taking the chair back at this time.Can’t swear to that, but was what I heard before this season.

11. That’s a shame Hudson wants to slum it on a show that has *never* (ever!) made a star in its series run. It’s nothing more than an annual 4 month long popularity contest & sickening K-Y Jelly saturated celebrity banter among the judges in an American Idol/DWTS crooked producer string-pulling Gong Show.

Jennifer was dazling in Sandy Welxer. She squandered her talent & may as well be a judge on the highly unnecessary ABC American Idol revival. Sigh.

12. Song4Ten says:

So she can teach all her students to screech and yell? That’s all she knows how to do – oversing.

• Temperance says:

Her team won last season on the Voice UK, and she proved to be both a good coach and a good person. Don’t confuse her personal style with her capabilities.

13. Jess says:

Will definitely be watching that season. Love Jennifer Hudson. She is amazing singer and actress

14. Team Can't Vote for the Save says:

I refused to watch Miley Cyrus the first time around and have no plans to watch her the next time. I would love to see Jennifer Hudson as a coach, but when NBC brought in the trash-child Cyrus… they lost me. I will enjoy Voiceless Mondays.

15. JR says:

I love Jennifer Hudson, but if Miley Cyrus is on it, I just can’t watch it.

16. Mary says:

Love her, but sorry still won’t watch the voice. The judges, especially Blake and Adam gets on my nerves. I’m sure she will be a good judge.

17. Brenda Lomax says:

I’m so excited. I love Jennifer Hudson and I love the voice.

18. Jimmy says:

I think it would be interesting for her to join American Idol when it comes back. I think their new judging panel should consist of former contestants who have either won or gone on to have successful careers. My dream panel would be Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert, with Ryan Seacrest returning as host, of course.

19. Iakovos says:

Love me some JHud. Miley Cyrus not so much. Sorry!

20. Adriene Danchie says:

Jennifer Hudson is so Fake

21. Ron says:

I haven’t watched The Voice for the past two seasons. I’ll contemplate this upcoming season, but still not sure. I think I might be the only one who actually wants Christina back. Maybe it’s the pettiness in me, but I love Christina’s shady comments. I live for them. If/when Christina comes back, I’ll definitely be back. Right now? Not so sure. I really like Jennifer Hudson, and I have a manageable tolerance level for Miley. But honestly, at this point, I CANNOT stand Adam or Blake. They annoy me so badly that I get irrationally angry when they speak. And over the past few years/seasons, Adam has gotten so rude and full of himself that it’s too much for me to take. I have no problem with the show rotating judges every season. But why don’t we ever get to rotate Adam and Blake out? Maybe if they’d sit out a couple seasons, they’d be tolerable by the time they came back. It’s just way too much. Having two seasons a year is also way too much…

• Kate says:

I’m on Blake overload. I used to adore him in the early seasons. Maybe a break would do him (and the viewers) good.

22. Sherrie Krangel says:

I like the Voice. Sorry to see Gwen Stefani and Alicia Keys leave. Thought they were wonderful!

23. guest says:

Actually, if Kelly Clarkson is coming to the Voice in Season 14, I’d rather skip Season 13 and
    move directly to Season 14. Sorry, Jennifer, you have talent, but Kelly has talent and personality that could make Season 14 one of the best ever. I still remember her audition on Idol, and she
    easily was able to interact with the judges in a humorous way while showing her singing
    ability. Can’t wait for Season 14. Won’t miss Gwen, but will miss Alisha. Thought she did a good
    job.

24. guest says:

I am accused of repeating my first comment, but I did not. I scrolled down and found the
    comment. What is this–“The Twilight Zone”? Anyway, I want to correct the misspelling of
    Alicia’s name. Sorry. Will be interested to see if this comment seems to have been made
    before.

25. Barbara says:

I prefer Alicia and Gwen stay they are awesome.

Don’t know if I can do Miliey and Jennifer not the class the voice needs.

26. Barbara says:

I don’t feel they have The Voice class as Gwen and Alicia have. I see them hurting ratings.

27. Diane says:

She’ll ruin the show with her diva attitude. Liked Chris but Lauren should have won. Don’t want to see season 13. I’m done.

28. Diane says:

Liked Chris but don’t believe he really won. Lauren should have had it. Alicia’s quitting may have been about the show not pulling enough black voters??? so Chris wins? Also, Diva Jennifer Hudson, really. Season 13 is unlucky already.

29. Diane says:

Also, Diva Jennifer Hudson, really? Season 13 is unlucky already.

30. vickirpage says:

lauren was a one trick pony