blackish-spinoff-freeform-zoey

black-ish's Zoey-Centric Spinoff May Find New Home on Freeform

Some college kids change majors. black-ish‘s Zoey is (maybe) changing networks.

The Yara Shahidi-led spinoff of the ABC comedy may end up on ABC’s sister network Freeform, our sister site Deadline reports.

The potential series’ backdoor pilot aired last Wednesday, when Dre and Bow’s oldest child attended her college orientation only to discover that her dad had forgotten to send in her housing application.

Per Deadline, the spinoff felt too young for ABC’s main audience but meshed well with Freeform’s youthful demographic, and the project is nearing a series order at the cable network.

In addition to Shahidi, the potential series’ cast includes Chris Parnell (Suburgatory) and Trevor Jackson (American Crime), with black-ish creator Kenya Barris executive-producing.

1. aria808 says:

If it does move to Freeform, I hope they keep it single cam.

• dbrown11 says:

Why would you think otherwise?

• GregJ. says:

I guess it is geared toward a younger demographic, but I was hoping it would be on ABC. At least they’re making work and not scrapping the whole idea. I think it’s very important to have a series like this on air right now. If it moves there I’ll watch it.

2. This would make a lot more sense. I think Yara has a bright future ahead of her, but I wasn’t feeling the pilot at all.

• Will says:

THIS!
      That was probably one of the most boring episodes of the series thus far. Also, don’t think Zoey is fleshed out enough to carry her own series. Perhaps if Zoey and Junior went off to college together (like he graduates early) that would pique my interest more.

3. pecola says:

Wherever it lands, I’ll be watching.

4. Marcie says:

Too bad. I don’t get Freeform but enjoyed the show.

5. John036 says:

May be better for the series, as it’ll have a little restraints on it than if it was ABC

6. Tomm Huntre says:

I was hoping she’d stick around ‘black-ish’. I like the whole cast so much as a whole I hate to see it broken up!!

7. Ram510 says:

If the show is picked up I hope she is still on Blackish for at least a good amount of episodes.

8. This is actually a brilliant idea!

9. It’s an extremely weak premise for a realitively young series that while critically young, is the weakest comedy on Wednesday. Freeform (ABC Spark in Canada) is the smartest idea.

I just hope this doesn’t become another The Ropers scenario: Norman Fell & Audrey Lindley were *promised* to return to Three’s Company if their show lasted less than a year. It ended up lasting 1.5 years.

Considering how bloated #Blackish is beyond core family, she should worry.

10. readenreply says:

I’d rather see a show about Junior in college.

11. Tomm Huntre says:

Hopefully she will appear frequently on Black-ish. And some of her tv family should show up as guests on her show, as well!

12. Billy Bob Johnson says:

I’m sure Freeform will ruin it, like their other series. The back-door pilot was not very good, although I’m not in the right demographic.

13. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and will definitely try and watch if it gets picked up. Moving it to Freeform is pretty smart, too, as established fans people looking for more Black-ish may find Cloak & Dagger or other shows (also a reason why Cloak & Dagger should make an appearance on Agents of SHIELD) .

14. pickles says:

Put her to work at a fast food restaurant instead of going to college. That would be funny. Spoiled rich kid not going to college is funnier than a spoiled rich kid going to college

15. Iakovos says:

ABC should air it first on its Freeform cable net but run it on a low-viewer night on the Alphabet. Maybe pair it with another comedy (early BLACKISH maybe) Saturdays 8-9 once football is done.