Black Lightning Life Sentence

The CW Orders DC's Black Lightning, Lucy Hale's Life Sentence to Series

A new superhero and a (former) liar are making their way to The CW.

The network on Wednesday gave official series orders to Black Lightning, a DC Comics property starring CW vet Cress Williams (Hart of Dixie) in the title role, and Life Sentence, which stars Lucy Hale (Pretty Little Liars), who also enjoyed a stint on the network via the short-lived Privileged.

Black Lightning stars Williams as a retired superhero named Jefferson Pierce, who finds himself back in vigilante mode thanks to his justice-seeking daughter and the threat of a star student being recruited by a local gang. The series also stars Nefessa Williams (Code Black), China Anne McClain (Descendants 2), and Christine Adams (Terra Nova).

The drama series is executive-produced by Greg Berlanti (Arrow) Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil (Being Mary Jane), and Sarah Schechter (The Flash).

Life Sentence stars Hale as a woman diagnosed with terminal cancer… who then learns she’s not dying after all, forcing her to live with the choices she made when she decided to “live like she was dying.” The cast also includes Elliot Knight (Once Upon a Time), Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck) Gillian Vigman (The Hangover), Jayson Blair (Whiplash), Brooke Lyons (The Affair) and Carlos PenaVega (Big Time Rush).

The dramedy series is executive-produced by Erin Cardillo (Fuller House), Richard Keith (Significant Mother), Bill Lawrence (Scrubs), Jeff Ingold (Ground Floor), Oliver Goldstick (Pretty Little Liars), and Lee Toland Krieger (Riverdale).

Which of The CW’s newest offerings sound up your alley? Drop a comment with your initial thoughts below.

1. Ray says:

No!! Insatiable is dead. :(

2. webly3 says:

So Insatiable is essentially a no-go

3. Lysh says:

Gah, Black Lightning sounds awesome. I don’t want to add another superhero show to my watch list, but it sounds way different than the others. Life does not sound like my usual cup of tea, but I might check it out for Hot Merlin.

• Summer says:

Hot Merlin is what sold me on Life Sentence as well.

• Butch says:

Will one of the other DC superhero shows be introducing the characters from “Black Lightning ” prior to the start of the series? Both “The Flash” and “DC Legends of Tomorrow” started that way. Will it be filmed in Vancouver ?

• Ws says:

I like the concept of Black Lightning. not wild about the casting though.

4. Goldenvibefan says:

C’mon Searchers! I really want it to get picked up.

5. Red Snapper says:

I’m just not that intrigued by The CW’s new series. I’ll give them all an episode or two to see if I get into them or not but none of them sound very interesting. Black Lightening might be the only one I am quasi excited for.

6. TvPeong says:

Yay Black Lightning! I might be the only person who thinks this, but I can do with another super hero show to add to my rotation (Flash, LoT, Arrow, Supergirl, and AoS)

• Goldenvibefan says:

Nah you’re not the only one! I’m super hyped that we have another superhero show! Still eagerly waiting to see if Searchers gets picked though..

7. Lola says:

So are we getting a five way crossover next season? Geesh. Talk about overkill CW.

8. Liz says:

I’m so sick of the DCTV crossovers. Please no more. It’s overkill. Over-saturation. ENOUGH.

9. John036 says:

Everyone complains about the overs saturation of superheroes, and the CW is the perfect example of it.

10. Joey Padron says:

Happy Black Lightning got ordered to series! Excited to see it and see the first trailer for the show!

11. Alice says:

Now this is what we talking about

12. Cody says:

So this new. Life sentence show looks to be just like he ABC family show chasing life.

13. Kristina says:

So excited for Cress Williams being back on my TV!!

14. Tomm Huntre says:

Glad to see BLACK LIGHTNING go to series. Maybe the CW could rotate a few D.C. shows in 13 week cycles to avoid a glut all at once and cut back reruns??

15. Sara says:

Interesting. With these and also Valor, I wonder if the CW is trying to move away from being the teen drama station.

Hope so.

16. Butch says:

As the CW only programs 10 hours a week I imagine there will be a lot of shows that share the same time slot like “Legends of Tomorrow” and “IZombie” did this year. More shows that just have 13 to 18 episodes a season. I wish “Timeless ” would move to the CW but the CW’s plate looks very full.

17. I’d love for Black Lightning to be on Earth-19 with Supergirl and her cousin, as one of a number of lower-tier heroes who were maybe around before Superman showed up, and have Jefferson Pierce’s decision to retire be driven by a sense that with Superman there, he could go off and live a normal life … or maybe even that he was no longer relevant.

The message that “We’re all in this together, and everyone counts” seems to fit the vibe of the Supergirl series, and having Pierce suit back up … it just seems right. (Plus, there’s history in the comics with his being in Metropolist.)

And if this was the show where we saw some other “forgotten heroes” like maybe The Question and Nightshade, and Metropolis vigilante Gangbuster, that’d be cool, too. If they’re not doing the “here’s the Barry Allen of Kara’s world” thing, why not bring in some other characters who we might never see on Barry and Ollie’s Earth-1?

18. Kate says:

So Life Sentence is basically No Tomorrow right? It seems to be essentially the same idea “live like you are dying”

19. fernando933 says:

Supergirl & Life Sentence on Mondays, Flash & Black Lighting on Tuesday

20. Will give both a try. I like Lucy Hale and there’s room for a third superhero show in my life.

21. Cosmin says:

Sounds good!
    Supergirl with black lightning or life sentence on mondays
    the flash and legends (hope gets a full season) on tuesday
    arrow with the 100 or supernatural on wednesday
    Black lighteen or life sentence with Riverdale on thursday
    jane with crazy ex-girlfriend friday. I would be so good if the originals will come back this fall, getting a full season

22. Ryan says:

sounds like ABC Family’s Chasing Life.

23. Ryan says:

I have a feeling, 2 will succeed, and the other two will fail.

24. Cas says:

I don’t even get the CW but good for Lucy Hale!