Sleepy Hollow Cancelled No Season 5 Fox

Sleepy Hollow Cancelled at Fox

Time to go back to bed, Ichabod: Fox has cancelled Sleepy HollowTVLine has confirmed.

The supernatural drama, led by Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie in Season 1, was a hit for the network when it premiered in 2013. But its ratings steadily declined from Season 2 on; Beharie’s controversial exit from the series at the end of Season 3 — when Abbie Mills sacrificed herself in order to forward her fellow Witness’ mission — didn’t do much to endear the show to its fans.

Season 4 was a bit of a reboot for the series, which added Oona Yaffee as Molly, Ichabod’s new (and very young) partner in the war against evil, and Janina Gavankar as Diana, a Homeland Security agent who was Molly’s mother. Sleepy also moved its action from the titular town to Washington, D.C.

Sleepy Hollow was the second series Fox cancelled Tuesday: Rosewood got the ax earlier in the day.

1. herman1959 says:

As my son would say, “No dip”.

• Annie Sisk says:

Right. Maybe now we can get Beharie and Mison in something good? They had crazy levels of chemistry.

• Laurel Lane says:

They did have crazy chemistry; no doubt about that. I really loved Abbie and Ichabod’s relationship. But to be honest, if I was Mison, I would be reluctant to sign on to another project with Beharie in case she’s not happy and wants to quit again.

• Fabrizia says:

BURN

• Marc says:

Tell me something, do you usually stay in a job where you are treated poorly and is unhappy?

• Patrick says:

I think this was a chicken or the egg scenario. The writing declined, steeply, from mid season 1 on. I think Beharie didn’t handle that well. Obviously, the writing was bad. But she didn’t seem to handle it as well as she could, or should, have in the situation. She wanted to get off of a sinking ship, but she was under contract. She “behaved badly” to force the hand of her employer, which I cannot condone. But her actions were not truly out of malice, but a calculated ploy to achieve her end goal, which was probably smart on her part.
            She behaved badly. But she did so because the quality of the show had flat lined, and she wanted out. Her bosses wouldn’t let her out, so she forced their hand. It happens all the time in every profession.

• yay says:

She behaved badly? How so? I guess you were ok with John Noble badmouthing the show but still being asked back. Sounds about white..er..right.

• TerrellT says:

Some will always blame the woman for not allowing herself to be treated like crap. They were racist in only inviting white cast members to do the S2 DVD & constantly sidelined her. & instead of fixing the problem the sidelined her more! But yeah let’s not blame the white dudes in charge. Also even if she wanted to leave, SHptb are the ones who wrote the S3 finale & the rash words that Abbie’s purpose was to help Ichabod Crane. The racists & misogynists need to stop being ignorant about what went wrong

• JoshBK says:

that’s what I’m saying , if this was real life and managers, boss ect treated you bad or demeaned you by doing different things that intentionally excluded you or more, would you stay or look for an out. maybe i’m the only one who would not take someones BS

• Charls says:

As my nan would say “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours”.

2. Alichat says:

I expected it but am still bummed I won’t see Ichabod on my tv anymore.

3. Ray says:

Scream Queens next

• BD says:

Yep; Ryan Murphy doesn’t even have it listed on his new Instagram, and most of the cast has moved on to other projects.

• Glenn says:

I feel bad for Scream Queens caused if was effed over by the election and the basketball. Did they really think they would have good ratings?

4. Rob says:

As far as rolling out fandom-sensitive cancelation announcements, FOX sure picked a hell of a news cycle to bury this one in.

5. Shirley says:

I’m so sad to hear that fox has cancel the best show on TV ,this breaks my heart I’m so mad at fox now

6. Well. I mean. They killed Abby Mills and I know she was one half of a huge ship.

7. Lysh says:

Things that are not surprising.
    That pilot was SO good and they fell so far.

• GraceM says:

The whole first season was good.

• Anne says:

The first season will stand as one of the most creative tv seasons of the 2000s.

• Jared says:

Agreed. Sleepy Hollow had so much potential but just couldn’t deliver after the first season.

• SAM says:

In its first season, this show was not to be missed for me. I stuck with it, (even when the showrunners and writers had handled John Noble’s character poorly and tried to force the wooden Katrina on us in the second season) until the first episode of season 4, but when they introduced a child as being the new Witness, my reaction was “DONE!”

• KLS says:

Loved the first season as well.

• Chloe says:

Add me to the list of people who loved Season One. Season 2 wasn’t bad. Three was bad & Four was awful.

• Tenney says:

I agree, the first season was so wonderfully good, creative and such fun to watch. It really seemed like the show lost its way in season 2 and in trying to recover, they made it worse. It really should have ended after season 3 when Nicole left; Abby and Ichabod were Sleepy Hollow.

8. Angela says:

Not surprised, but still sad to hear this regardless. No matter how weird the stories got, I still liked and will miss all these characters. Wish them well with whatever else they go on to do.

9. Television says:

No, no, no!!!!! This show is awesome, and this season was great!! You fools, keep good tv on the air!!

• pegasus2966 says:

Agreed. This season was excellent to me (I have loved the show from the start and though missed ‘Abbie’ this season – with ‘Jenny’ being included in Season 4 and the addition of the new characters – it was still great. I have to say, though, I had a feeling with the last episode of the season not being called a Season finale and the way that episode ended. I am sad to hear it has actually been canceled since it is one of the few shows I actually enjoy that is regular network TV (yeah at this point Fox is regular network TV). With it and Grimm being gone – not much left (maybe 4 shows that I can name off top of my head) on regular/non-premium channels – i.e. HBO/Starz/Showtime).

10. Jason says:

Definitely expected this. And honestly, I really am not overly bothered. I stuck with the show, but I’ve kind of been on autopilot since late season 2. It’s mostly been more infuriating, than anything.

11. Bella says:

I’m not surprised. I hope Tom Mison gets another tv gig soon. I loved the first season of this show so much. Season 2 was a mess. 3 was better than 2, but with Nicole leaving at the end of 3, it was hard to find much enthusiasm for season 4. It had its moments, but the show never regained the humor, heart, and intrigue of season 1.

12. Connie says:

I’m sick!! I loved both Sleepy Hollow and Rosewood. I’m just sick by this. Every great show they cancel it. So sad!! 😞😞

13. Well Overdue says:

Sweet karma, baby!!!!!! The writers were appreciative of neither their classically trained lead actress nor their energetic fanbase who rallied for them to get a Season 3. What a colossal joke, never should’ve gotten a Season 4.

14. Cheryl D says:

I’m so disgusted! Two of my favorite shows are being cancelled… Sleepy Hollow and Pitch. Two very different shows, but both great in its own way. I am so tired of ridiculous “reality” shows. What a waste of two really different, interesting shows.

15. I LOVED the show the first season. I didn’t even bother with season 4. What a downward spiral that turned out to be.

• Gregory S. McNeill says:

You are correct Maria. I blame the series Producers and Writers, not the actors. What happened to Sleepy Hollow is a warning when you don’t listen to the fans.

16. Bill says:

I really liked this show during the first season, second became a bore and third was a chore to watch. I stuck with it through the fourth season which was definitely the best since one. Not surprising at all it was cancelled. Ratings were dreadful

17. Tim O'Brien says:

Disappointed but I could see it coming. Just not the same without Abbie !! So dose that mean we won’t get to see the rest of the season ??

18. TvLover says:

I am not shocked or sad about this cancelation.
    This is one show I am glad that fox axed.
    Season 1 was great. Then it slowly declined story wise season by season. The last being the worst.
    I am sorry for all involved in the show and I wish them luck.

• SayNay says:

I feel the same. This show needed to be cancelled last season. I was sad to see how much it had fallen. At least now everyone can move on to other projects.

19. csg says:

This is one cancellation that was way overdue.

20. GraceM says:

Not surprised. I don’t know why FOX renewed it for a fourth season in the first place.

21. Bobbi Showah says:

As soon as they killed Abbie they killed the show.

22. Anne says:

Good. They deserve it after killing off Abby

23. Loved the initial premise, but the show struggled from a plot perspective after S1. Beharie and Mison were ALWAYS excellent. Losing Beharie really was a blow.

I’m sad it’s gone but I totally understand why.

• Laurel Lane says:

She wanted to leave; it wasn’t like they fired her. I can’t help but feel she’s to blame for the show getting axed. I am really going to miss this tv show. I enjoyed all the seasons and was hoping for a Season 5 so Crane could somehow get his soul back…

• Bobbi Showah says:

Sooo let me get this straight. The writers sideline Abbie the show’s co-lead. Don’t even ask Nicole to be on the DVD commentary, tell her she that she’s incapable of drawing a crowd at conventions, and it’s her fault the show got axed. Riiiight.

I mean the writes the writes who mocked their fans when they pointed out what was going wrong with the show have nothing to do with Sleepy Hollow getting cancelled. It’s Nicole fault for leaving a bad situation.

The only way she’s to blame is because the rating dropped without her. Fox and the writing staff arrogantly took a gamble that the show could make it on Tom alone and the lost. They lost big time.

• Laurel Lane says:

I understand your feelings; I don’t know all the particulars. I was in shock when Abbie died. All I said was I couldn’t help but feel that way. I would think tho, knowing that the industry is full of unemployed actors and actresses dying to get work of any kind, that even just being side-lined on a working show would be better than not working at all. I only know of one thing she’s done since leaving.

• Casey says:

Working in a negative show environment, and furthermore one that’s actively working against your self-esteem and positivity, when you’re already in an industry/profession where you get tons of rejection – I don’t blame her for wanting to leave and taking the chance on when and whether she would get other work, and whether those jobs would be better. Actors leave shows/projects all the time when they had a good thing going because of the opportunity cost – what else could they be working on instead? I totally understand leaving a bad situation to entertain what else might be out there for them.

• Kate says:

The co-lead was backburnered so a supporting actress with lesser skills could take her place. Maybe she didn’t want to be devalued anymore. It’s not always about money. I’ve been in a situation where my rank and credentials should have meant I was in position X–and on paper I was–yet I was not afforded the respect of that position; meanwhile, people with lesser credentials received that respect. They were given certain considerations that I wasn’t granted. They were even called by a title they didn’t have, while I was chewed out for even using the title that I actually did have. I left there as soon as I could. So I understand why NB might have felt the same way.

• Charls says:

WOW! I was wondering why she didn’t do any commentary. I felt cheated and figured she didn’t want to do it. I feel guilty thinking she was too cool for that. If men actually decided to sideline her, what a bunch if catty men. Why did they hate her so much. Guys do that when chicks don’t give them ‘any’.

• yay says:

LOL of course you blame Nicole. You’re a real piece of work.

• Marc says:

It seems to me that a lot of people blaming her do not realize that acting is a job and not someone’s life. She was being treated poorly and was unhappy, so she quit her JOB and has moved on. It’s as if some viewers actually expect her to hang about and suffer through the indignity because it ruined the dynamics of the workplace. Newsflash, any sane person who is unhappy at work, will want to quit as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Tough sh&% that the writers or whoever failed to recognizer her importance and never showed their appreciation in the first place.

• delorb says:

You’re blaming the actor and not the writers and producers who took her character from the front and put her in the background. Jeez. Do you even know how you sound? I think it’s more a case of your wanting to see the Big Star on screen (nevermind the fact that his character was also downgraded), even if he’s in a crappy show.

• yay says:

You have done nothing but blame Nicole for everything that went wrong with this show. How was it her fault that the show got axed? Is it because she wrote her final scenes and said that she was the foot stool of the blue eyed white man? Honey have yourself a seat.

24. T.W.S.S. says:

Fox is on a roll. Just waiting for them to cancel Scream Queens and renew Gotham.

25. Glenda Bacon says:

2 things that dont last on FOX…….Scf-FI/Fantasy and POC……add those together? its only a ticking clock

• Fabrizia says:

Most of Fox shows this season had a POC lead. They also had a terrible season, but I don’t know if it’s because of that.

• ClsJ says:

Sleepy Hollow had started strong in its first season with a diverse cast, including a black lead actress. It had a wacky premise, but strong acting, fun storytelling and fantastic ratings for FOX.

Then SH writers/producers decided for some reason to sideline and marginalize POC and focus on a really dull character, throwing off the storytelling. Instead of two Witnesses, fighting the Apocalypse, by S2 it became Crane Family Drama, focused on Katrina. No surprise, the ratings declined.

FOX *had* a gem, a fantastic cast, a surprisingly big audience and a enthusiastic fanbase (not to mention Orlando Jones who was a great spokesperson for the show on SM) And for whatever reason, they decided to completely change the show: ditch the premise, change to the tone and main characters, and give stories that were both dull and nonsensical. I mean, this show had the Headless Horseman with a machine gun, and TPTB turned him into a lovesick sap, and then ditched him as a side note in a stupid storyline. This cancellation was long overdue.

26. KLS says:

Retooling/rebooting shows never seems to work.

27. Frances Potvin says:

I will miss Sleepy Hollow. Will Tom Mison being going to another program?

28. Jeanne says:

Fox, you suck!

29. KARMA! I knew this was going to happen. They treated Nicole so wrong she had to leave. They tried to go on without her and failed lol

30. zackkattackk843 says:

What did they expect? Nicole Beharie left and so did the spirit of the show. Good riddance.

31. Terri says:

Well crap! I will miss it so much!

32. ourglife.com says:

love this show i will miss you

33. Tom A. says:

Good show first 2 seasons but dip start to dip after but will miss the original 2 witnesses….

34. Tom A. says:

Good show first 2 seasons but did start to dip after. Will miss the original 2 witnesses….

35. Sheila says:

I can’t believe that Fox cancelled sleepy hollow! There are only a few shows on TV that my whole family can watch together it was a great show and got my kids interested in history.big mistake fox!

36. pam says:

Was so looking forward to seeing how the next season progressed. With grown Molly in the same year there were endless possibilities!

37. Susan Mayer says:

And so I have cancelled Fox from my viewing schedule. It works both ways, folks. This was th one show which redeemed all your other crap.,

38. Anna says:

It never was the same after they killed off Abby. I’m glad the show’s been cancelled.

39. abbidon says:

Used to be my favorite show. Glad it’s finally cancelled! Treated their lead actress like dirt. Guess she wasn’t as replaceable as you thought!

40. kmw says:

Never should have come back from last season. Poor Sleepy Hollow is a perfect example of a network interfering with a show. It started so strong and had a great pair of characters( doesn’t matter if they did or did not have a ” romance”). But then steady downhill and then marginalizing their leading lady did not help along with other characters they put on that didn’t help. FOX did the right thing today parting with these shows. Rosewood and Sleepy Hollow. Hopefully the network will find new dramas that can work and hopefully FOX will allow whatever dramas they have coming to grow without interference

41. Gloria says:

I liked Sleepy Hollow, and he was hot and now he’s gone That sucks

42. Michael Summerset says:

That frees up Tom Mison to become the new Doctor Who.

43. I’m totally bummed I was really hoping they would survive again and who knows maybe some other channel or Network will pick them up? Those people at CBS aren’t too bright they’ve cancelled every show I liked so I rarely watch regular TV anymore. I watch Agents of Shield which is on ABC and Shooter also on ABC, looks like I will be watching more Netflix or Amazon. Luckily I have all 4 seasons on my Amazon acct can always watch reruns.

44. Chris christy says:

So sad to see sleepy hollow go maybe hyping a show fox in more than thefirst months would have helped find tom mison a show pronto!

45. Thomas Christian Hirkoama says:

Terrible scripts, worse casting, they totally ruined this show right from the first episode. Turning it into a show about family problems and melodrama was nowhere near the Washington Irving storyline. Amazed it lasted 4 Seasons.

46. I apologize to the CBS Network I meant the Fox Network but then again CBS has cancelled a number of show over the years.

47. parstl says:

Nicole was the reason I even stopped on the local Fox station 4 years ago to check out the show. I watched season one, got lost with two and came back for half of three. Dropped it altogether this year. Fans relate to characters and actors.

• parstl says:

More…Person of Interest lost fans and momentum when they lost or killed off the sister…Taraji and the same here with Nicole.

• Fabrizia says:

Taraji asked to leave because she wanted to do Empire.

• Lisa says:

Empire came on years after POI. They killed her character off it wasn’t so she could go do Empire, they has been well documented how they screwed Taraji over

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Technically… Taraji’s final POI aired November 2013, Empire pilot filmed in March 2014.

48. Phyllis says:

That figures, Sleepy Hollow was my favorite show. What’s next Empire? All my favorites are slowly slipping away. Get rid of some of these stupid reality shows like Housewives and Naked people running thru the jungle trying to survive. TV is starting to really go down the tubes.

49. Tracy Wassman says:

Well I guess I’ll be watching more CBS now! I loved Sleepy Hollow and never missed an episode! They need to worry less about the dang younguns and worry more about some if us older TV watchers!!