Post Mortems
iZombie Recap

iZombie EP on Blaine's [Spoiler], Major and Liv's Romantic Future and More

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Tuesday’s iZombie.

iZombie answered a burning mystery during Tuesday’s episode when Blaine confessed to Peyton that he regained his memories after taking the second cure and has been faking his amnesia.

“You’ve made a fool of me,” she responded, noting that her friends could have been human for months.

But let’s focus on the present: Major is human now, with his memories fully intact, and Liv wants to join him in being non-undead. Unfortunately, someone stole the rest of Ravi’s cure, and the only other remaining vial is in Natalie’s possession.

Below, executive producer Rob Thomas previews the resurgence of Blaine’s wicked side, the relationship status of two ex-couples (it’s not looking good for anyone, sorry, ‘shippers) and the “fun” challenge ahead for human Major.

iZombie RecapTVLINE | Blaine has lost Peyton, and everyone knows the truth now. Does this mark the return of the old Blaine? Is he back to his bad ways?
Yeah, we hinted that [during] that last scene where you see him brewing up [Ravi’s] blue brain concoction [for memory enhancement]. He is angry, and he is going back to his old ways, though things are not going to get better right away for Blaine. Blaine still has some misery to come. But pretty soon, we’re going to see the Blaine we all know and love: original bad guy Blaine.

TVLINE | Can you confirm or deny whether he took the cure from Ravi’s office?
No, I cannot confirm or deny. [Laughs] Liv and Ravi are going to begin an investigation into that in the next episode. The plan was to wrap up that investigation in the season finale, but we ran out of space, so it looks like it’s going to get answered early in Season 4.

TVLINE | Is this lie something that Peyton could forgive Blaine for?
Oh, I doubt it. I think he would have to go serve in the Peace Corps for a couple years, and I’m not sure that’s in him.

iZombie RecapTVLINE | Does that mean the door is now open for a potential Peyton and Ravi reunion?
Ravi did not impress Peyton since the moment that she was kidnapped by Mr. Boss’ guys. Really, since the moment that he found out that Peyton slept with Blaine, he’s been pretty poorly behaved. So in what’s left of Season 3, they will just need to repair [their] friendship before anything romantic could happen.

TVLINE | I was surprised Liv was so eager to take the cure. Being a zombie is obviously difficult for her, but as she mentioned to Clive, it gave her some meaning. If/when she’s presented with the cure, will she be more conflicted?
There is some element of being a zombie and finding herself valuable and having these special abilities that Liv has become a little hooked on, and she does get some self-worth and satisfaction out of it. We wanted to choose a pain-in-the-ass brain for her to be on in this episode, one that was just annoying. It’s one reason we chose a brain that hurt the case rather than helped it, one on which she wasn’t doing much good and being a bad lab assistant for Ravi and being a bad friend to Major by not sticking with him when she was supposed to. There are all these mentions like, “God, I wish I weren’t a zombie,” because we wanted to have her in the mindset of, “I’m tired of this. I’m ready to be human again.”

And probably to some small degree, that tryst she had with Major, that did spark some old feelings and some thought that, “Wait a minute, Major and I could both be human again, and our relationship would be possible.” Though she never says that aloud in the script, that could have been affecting her. That’s a long-winded way of saying that you’re not wrong for thinking that Liv, at different points, is proud of what she’s been able to do as a zombie and has grown a little accustomed to it. But when the day comes when she has the syringe in hand and gets the opportunity to take the cure, I think she’ll take it. Being human again sounds good to her.

TVLINE | Major and Liv are once again in a situation where they can’t be together because he’s human, and she’s not. Are they taking a different approach this time?
This time, they won’t try to make it work. They tried that last season and ended up having a painful split. They know that that isn’t really possible. For Liv, for the first time since she’s become a zombie, there are actually plenty of eligible male zombies floating around in the world. There’s a whole private army of them, in fact. Whereas things are actually much tougher for [Major]. iZombie RecapHe is now human in a world where most Seattle human women shudder at the sight of him. He is often recognized as the Chaos Killer, and that puts a real crimp in his dating life. We will see them in the back half of the season as a couple of single people, making their way without each other.

TVLINE | With Major human again, what does that mean for his position at Fillmore Graves?
We’re going to get into that. That’s one of our favorite stories that we’re telling in the back half of the season. Major has found a home at Fillmore Graves, and these are his people now. These are the people who don’t care that he was accused of being the Chaos Killer. He wants to keep working there, despite being a human, and he’s going to see how long he can get away with it. And eventually, he may not get away with it. That’s a fun storyline for the back half.

iZombie fans, what did you think of the Blaine twist? Are you disappointed Liv and Major are being torn apart? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Sam says:

I wish they’d ditch Blaine’s blonde hair, it looks so bad!

2. Alichat says:

I have to admit, I thought Blaine would see through Peyton’s ruse. I mean, he is a con man and has been conning her all these months. I had been wondering if he’d gotten his memories back. He just seemed too calm about the whole situation. And why Ravi and Liv immediately thought Blaine took the cure was weird to me. I immediately suspected the zombie who less than 24 hours ago had wanted to sell the cure. I’m curious to see what Major does at Fillmore Graves. I hate that he’d found a place where he wasn’t scorned and judged but now may not be able to be there.

On a side note……last week’s scene between Liv and Major before he takes the cure was so beautiful and heartbreaking.

• Erin B says:

I think Blaine knew that Major would reveal his memory return in a few days so he fessed up to Peyton, hoping she was being honest about her feelings.

3. LL says:

This show is the best. I hope it gets renewed!

4. Tash says:

I’m certain it’s the zombie mercenary who brought Major to the morgue when he started dying that took the cures. He looked so shocked when he saw it and ran out after.

• Dianne says:

Could be, but I doubt it. While Fillmore Graves would certainly have motives, my money is with Don E.

He was smart enough to offer Ravi 50 thousand out of the million dollars he was offered for one cure. He actually misses Blaine, but at the same time he’ll be likely be more than happy to play side kick to Blaine because he hates being Blaine’s father’s whipping boy.

5. digitalred93 says:

The show stumbled for a bit – the triangle bogging things down and taking the focus off Liv – but the last two renaissance been terrific. Fingers crossed the retrievers renewed, but we don’t have to wait so long for the next season.

6. Elle says:

I was rooting for Blaine and Peyton. If it’s really over, I think I’m out on this series. Tired of shows where characters can’t evolve. So I’m​ not happy about Blaine getting a reboot to one dimensional Bad Guy! Blaine. Also, I have zero interest in Ravi and Peyton at this point. Just feels like the series went for the lowest hanging fruit.

• Marc says:

I don’t think the writers had any intention of having Blaine be anything but a villain. There was absolutely no coming back from murdering disadvantaged teens for their brains, so I’m not surprised that he was discovered to be faking it all along, in fact, I had a strong suspicion that he was a while back.

• Jane says:

I was rooting for Blaine and Peyton too darn it. David and Aly have such amazing chemistry, something that sadly isn’t there with Peyton and Ravi for me. I’m super bummed we’re back to bad guy Blaine. *Sigh*

• ashleytwo says:

I think there’s a kind of bleak poetry to the fact he seemed to want to be good but will never be able to escape his past and he’s unable to find anything else and any way out so he returns to evilness. Not so much out of desire, but out of any other ability.

7. BeatlesFan5572 says:

I LOVE iZombie. it is one of my favorite shows!

I wish the CW would renew this show already and give it the attention it deserves!!

8. lrdslvrhnd says:

I’m not quite sure what Blaine thinks he’s doing with the blue goo. I mean, just because you give me a shopping list with all the ingredients, doesn’t mean I can make duck a l’orange. Especially if I don’t have a duck (or in Blaine’s case, the actual cure.)
    If Blaine had been smart, he would’ve kept faking amnesia. Even when Major regained his memory, their circumstances were different – Major took the original cure, reverted, and then took the second cure with the memory enhancer, whereas Blaine took the second cure *without* the memory enhancer, and then took the memory enhancer quite some time later. Any of those changes could plausibly lead to Major regaining his memory and Blaine not.

9. Gfigueroa says:

I really love this show. I think the characters are fun to watch. Luv is hilarious, Major is so gorgeous, Ravi makes me smile when he’s on and Clive is so great as the human, no nonsense guy that keeps them all together.
    After an intense season of Walking Dead, IZombie is a light and funny relief