Jennifer Morrison Leaving Once Upon Time

Once Upon a Time: Jennifer Morrison Not Returning for Possible Season 7

Jennifer Morrison‘s Emma Swan song is nigh.

TVLine has confirmed that Morrison will not be returning to Once Upon a Time as a series regular for Season 7, in the event the fantasy series is renewed by ABC. Morrison broke the news of her exit early Monday on Instagram (see below), while also noting that she has agreed to return for one Season 7 episode (in the event the show is renewed).

The development comes just days before Once airs its two-hour Season 6 finale, on Sunday, May 14 at 8/7c.

Morrison had been one of four cast members invited to renew their expiring contract, along with Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle and Colin O’Donoghue (all three of whom are expected to re-sign, says our sister site Deadline).

In a statement, series co-creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis said, “The past six years of collaborating with Jennifer as Emma Swan have been truly magical. Watching her breathe life into Emma, she accomplished more than we could have dreamed possible – she gave life to a brand-new Disney Princess, filled with strength and intelligence and an incredible closet full of red leather jackets.

“We’ll miss seeing her every day, but her imprint upon Once Upon a Time is indelible. She will always be a part of the show and its heart and soul.”

With original cast members’ contracts expiring at season’s end, and with two new characters being introduced in the finale as part of a narrative “reset,” the Once creators told TVLine the end of this chapter in the series was designed to account for any exits, even those that may appear to be up in the air. “Any changes that we have to accommodate have been accommodated,” Kitsis said in mid-April. “We planned this finale from the beginning of the year, so whoever stays and whoever goes… all those questions have already been dealt with. The audience does not have to fear [anything feeling] incomplete.”

In the event that Once Upon a Time earns a Season 7 — it currently ranks fifth in the demo among ABC dramas (behind Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Designated Survivor and HTGAWM), and eighth in total audience — the door is open for Morrison to reprise her role as needed, for that one promised episode. “[J]ust because Jennifer won’t be back every week doesn’t mean we won’t see our Savior again,” Horowitz and Kitsis said in their statement.

As I reached the end of my 6 year contract on ONCE UPON A TIME, I was faced with a significant decision. ABC, Eddy Kitsis, and Adam Horowitz very generously invited me to continue as a series regular. After very careful consideration, I have decided that creatively and personally, it is time for me to move on. Emma Swan is one my favorite characters that I have ever played. My 6 years on ONCE UPON A TIME has changed my life in the most beautiful ways. I am absolutely blown away by the passion and commitment of the Oncer fans. I am so honored to have been a central part of such a special show. I will be forever grateful to Adam, Eddy, and ABC for giving me the gift of playing Emma Swan. As I move on to other creative endeavors, I will continue to attend the fan conventions whenever my professional schedule allows. I always look forward meeting the fans. If ABC Network does in fact order a season 7, I have agreed to appear in one episode, and I will most certainly continue to watch ONCE UPON A TIME. The creativity of the show runners has always inspired me, and I cannot wait to see the ways that they continue to develop and reinvent the show. #Onceuponatime #EmmaSwan #UglyDucklings

A post shared by jenmorrisonlive (@jenmorrisonlive) on

1. Michelle says:

Please just end the show. There is no OUAT without Emma Swan!!!

2. Luli says:

I’m crusheddd to read this, but wish her the best in her future endeavors!!

3. readenreply says:

Cue the music…

let it go… let it go…

4. OnceOneofTheWorstShowsEva says:

Yayyy…Good Riddance!!! CANCELLATION NEXT!!!

5. Mary says:

I’m devastated to read this. Emma Swan is the reason I’ve watched for so long. There’s absolutely no way they can continue this show without her and I certainly won’t be watching if they stupidly try.

6. Jess says:

Wish her the best of luck but it won’t be the same without her. Maybe if they do a time jump and Emma/Hook have a baby, they will be the new Savior.

7. SamofSherwood says:

I’m very disappointed but Jennifer has to what’s right by her, I’m not sure how this can carry on now, will Colin O’Donoghue want to carry it? that’s a lot of pressure..
    A little miffed that this wasn’t announced sooner & that the final song was called ‘Happy Beginning’ as clearly, it won’t be.
    So Emma under a sleeping curse & Killian has to find her? bit Vampire Diaries eh?
    Robin coming back, Killian & adult Henry trying to find Emma? nice for the girls, no female energy there though, hmmm..?
    I wonder now if it should just be cancelled

• RL Jones says:

Regina will have to carry it now as she carries on in Emma’s place. They have been getting along a lot better as the season’s have gone by and trust each other (not fully, but enough). For Emma, some other big bad, or even Gold, cast a spell to send Emma and Killian someplace else. Sorry Killian, package deal because him urging everyone very episode that they have to find Emma would grow very old after only 2 episodes.

8. Bri says:

When actors say this, do they know that there is a need for them out there, or they look around and if nothing comes up, they return?

• Gilded Lady says:

Filiming a 22-epiaode drama for six years is a lot more demanding than many assume it to be. By the end , many actors are just ready for a break be it because they want to try something new, focus on family or just wanted their character to go else where.

An actor can come back (good example was Matt Davis on TVD – actor didn’t like where his character was going. They let him out of his contract when he got cast in Cult. Cult bombed and he came back two seasons later) but it’s somewhat rare. Most just want a clean break.

• SamofSherwood says:

Network TV is gruelling, I have nothing but respect for Jennifer & the commitment & dedication she brought. Even when perhaps I’m sure she didn’t really like the storyline perhaps, I understand her wanting to have a life again. Still saddens me to see this show end, it has such a unique spark.

• Garbo says:

Also factor in that she has been doing network television basically without breaks for not six but the last thirteen (!) years. She was a regular on House MD for five and a half seasons (credited for 130 Episodes (2004 – 2009 + two guest appearances); straight after that she spent some time on How I Met Your Mother (13 episodes (2010-2011 + one guest appearance) and she went from there to do what turned out to be a six year gig, Once Upon a Time (134 Episodes (2011 – 2017). All three shows she was part of, were considered huge hits at one point or another, so now – especially considering how the OUAT main chapter is coming to an end this season anyway – if she wants a break from gruelling network tv hours, she sure as hell deserves it. Just like Connie Britton deserved her break after Friday Night Lights, American Horror Story and Nashville; and also Emily VanCamp who was regular on three shows between 2002 and 2015, that all reached episode numbers enough for syndication (Everwood, Brothers & Sisters, Revenge).

• Patrick says:

After doing 200+ episodes of Network TV as a series regular (House and OUAT), she’s basically got more money than she can spend. She’s reached a point where I hope she can take a break and do whatever she wants to do and enjoy life.

• Anne says:

And VD and Cult being on the same network helped things A LOT in that case.

• Ginger Snap says:

See the cast of Friends. No need to continue in a stale show. They work when the project is right and if they want to. Always think of Matthew LeBlanc in Episodes

• 211of211 says:

I always feel like they do it intending to go on to bigger, and better things. Which I interpret as an agent in their ear overvaluing how in demand they are. There are so many aspiring actors out there that if I were in her shoes I would stick with a good paying gig as long as I had one. More often than not an actor leaves, maybe gets a role in a pilot which then doesn’t get picked up or renewed after it does, or they try to get more movie roles, and either way they usually aren’t successful. Maybe she’ll be the exception, but with a season 7 looking doubtful anyway I just don’t know why she wouldn’t just ride it the rest of the way out. With her leaving though I can’t imagine ABC greenlighting a season 7. Emma has been the main character for 6 seasons, and I don’t see the few viewers that are still left staying on without her. Maybe it’s a good thing because this whole reboot/retool whatever never sounded like a good idea to begin with. RIP OUAT, it was a fun ride while it lasted.

9. Andrew Hass says:

After 6 seasons maybe Jennifer Morrison wants to do other stuff.As for OUAT, i don’t think they’ll kill Emma off just in case Morrison wants to come back one day but maybe they’ll have Emma go missing and next season the characters search for her.

• plebcinema says:

that’s what I think too. possibly as a side story while they establish the new characters.

• Sam says:

They are not killing her off if the show is renewed. She knows because she did not renew it leaves them in a hard position. She promised to do one transition episode next year if is renewed with a few cast members. She also promised if time permits to attend conventions as this show is a big part of her life and career. She also did not put it past her that she would not be willing to guest star on vacation. Considering this show has done over 130 episodes, she worked for one year on “How I met your mother” and then prior to that, “House” for over 5 years she really has not had a break from the grind of weekly TV in over 12 years.

10. Susan says:

Wait! What? There is no Once without Jennifer as Emma! One episode with her, no. Not right! I’m sorry to say that the show needs to end with season 6 if that is all we have.

11. Well, if this show wasn’t dead already, this will helps. Lots of luck for Jennifer in her next projects!

12. Pumpkin says:

Is OUAT this year’s Castle?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, because Jen had been invited back.

• Mark says:

I’m not sure who just got burned, but somebody just got burned.

• r0ckmypants says:

Last year when negotiations were underway for another season of Castle, one of the cost-cutting measures ABC/producers/whoever made was to fire the female lead, Stana Katic. It didn’t get renewed, so all the drama was for naught and just made a whole bunch of people look bad in the process.

• cej says:

Or was Castle not renewed due to all of the backlash against Stana not being invited back? I wished that Castle could have been given a proper ending, but I and many had no interest in watching a Becket-less Castle.

• Patrick says:

The plan was to continue with the show, ‘for years to come’, as some wrote… It didn’t get renewed cause no one (except a few Browncoats) was intetested in Beckett-less Castle and they voiced their anger on SM. Despite the title, Stana was the heart of the show and going on without her wouldn’t make sense. I really don’t know what the ABC had in mind firing (yes, they were fired despite some claiming SK left) Katic AND Jones when other less important actresses were offered a job. Honestly, who fires the lead due to ‘budgetary reasons’? At least they could have the guts to tell it like it really was… Anyway, I hope ABC learned their lesson and OUAT will be canceled.

• lame says:

If I recall, the person in charge of programming gave Katic a raise equal to Fillion. This so upset the studio that they fired the head of programming. As soon as SK’s one year contract ended, she was let go, and the series cancelled

• Mark says:

I understood the reference, but I wasn’t sure if this was a burn against Once, Stana, or the Castle producers/ABC.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Good heavens, people, not a “burn,” just a clarification of fact, as I do here.

• Pumpkin says:

I just meant that there is no show in the audience’s eyes without the main character, but that is a good distinction to make.

• r0ckmypants says:

If you mean because it may just end without the fanfare of a “final season” or a big, planned ending, then it’s very possible.

• Pumpkin says:

Yes, this is also exactly what I’m concerned about. Given the length of time the two shows ran on ABC, I’m surprised the network wouldn’t have given everyone involved in the show time to figure out the best course of action before deciding its fate. Although we’ve yet to see OUAT’s ending, the interviews make it sound worrying.

• ninergrl6 says:

OR decide its fate early so the writers could have REALLY ended it with the wedding rather that whatever nonsense we’ll get next week to set up a Jennifer-less show. Talk about building the audience up just to tear us down — the big CS wedding followed mere hours later with Jen’s announcement? I don’t know if I’m more sad or angry.

• Pumpkin says:

Yes. Whatever anyone’s opinion of “Lost” is, the showrunners and ABC made the right call there. They gave it an end date, announced it early, and gave everyone in the show time to plan ahead. As much as I love television, I hate that much of the medium sometimes leads to networks insisting on dragging out story lines and continuing a show without the characters that we fell in love with. Some shows can survive. I don’t think this one can.

• SamofSherwood says:

Buffy ended well, it began with Buffy, it ended with Buffy, season 7 was good! that’s the way it should be!

13. DAMN says:

Sounds like the show is pretty dead but it could still work without her if they focus on a new savior or other characters they have neglected, if they do it right.
    I imagining they cud do like what they did with OUAT in Wonderland and focus on the story of different princesses for every season.

14. Martina says:

This is really surprising. I thought she was just missquoted when they all talked about that one interview with her stating she can’t imagine playing this character forever as I read the whole thing a bit different. I also thought they initially said the renewal of the series is very dependend on those 4 actors agreeing to return for S7. Her leaving will also kinda make Hook be redundant, as without her I can’t imagine the show not destroying the Emma/Hook Happy Ending….

• ninergrl6 says:

I agree. This makes me want to cry.

• SamofSherwood says:

I don’t get why last night was made out to be Emma’s happy ending, did they not know her decision? If next week sets up a potential season 7, as the finales of Once have in the past, why bother?
        I can’t help thinking they’ve done a dis-service to the CaptainSwan fans here (I am but a nice normal one)

• ninergrl6 says:

I agree. Coming right on the heels of the wedding, just 12 hours later, is such a slap in the face. The writers HAD to know Jen’s decision when scripting the last few eps, right? Why not END with the wedding then?

• Susan says:

I am crying! This is not the way to end the show!

• Victoria says:

They have been writing the wedding/musical episode for months… Michael Weiner and Alan Zachary have been working with the actors on the vocals and music since before season 6 premiered. I’m sure they didn’t know Jennifer’s decision at that time.

15. Amanda says:

This makes no sense to me to continue the show without Emma. After loving last night’s musical I’m so sad now to see she’s leaving. I wish her the best but ABC needs to do the right thing and cancel.

16. ninergrl6 says:

UGH this breaks my heart, especially after last night’s ep. Obviously I respect her decision, but MAN, what a way to crush CSers.

• ninergrl6 says:

Adding, with all due respect to Jen, I really wish she had waited until NEXT Monday to post this. Then we could’ve enjoyed the wedding high for another week and the season would be over.

• SamofSherwood says:

A friend & I said the same thing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The news was breaking today regardless. That’s why this story was ready and pre-written.

• The Rookie says:

Matt, who makes the decision when to break the news? The actress? Does she need network’s blessing? It would have made more sense to let the season end. It killed any momentum the show had going into the season finale.

• SamofSherwood says:

A very good point, this announcement seems non-sensical with what we just saw.

• ninergrl6 says:

Good question, Rookie. Why and how was it determined and by whom that this news would break today, of all days? Obviously Jen’s decision was made a while ago. Was the plan all along to announce the news of her departure mere hours after the CS wedding? If so, that’s MESSED UP. Or were they trying to hold off on the announcement til after the finale but someone/something forced their hand?

• SamofSherwood says:

I personally would’ve rather known five weeks ago (filming of wedding) or after next week, this timing sucks!
            I hope you ask Jennifer about this Matt, there are A LOT of upset people on social media today/tonight.

• ninergrl6 says:

What SamofSherwood said. This timing is HORRIBLE. The news couldn’t have broken at a more devastating time for CS fans.

• chadcronin says:

Either the show is canceled or they hope everyone calms down before the Upfronts next week when they announce who’s staying on the show. Unless these new characters are amazing I don’t see how these exits will help save the show.

17. Missy says:

Huh…
    That’s a twist I was NOT expecting.

So, it’ll be a whole new show? With some old cast members still around. Hmm

18. TySpin says:

Best for everyone. Emma’s character is way, way past her prime and in the last 2 seasons has been mostly about pandering to shipper fans anyway. It’s hardly a challenging role to play by now and therefore can’t blame Morrison for leaving. For the show it’s the opportunity to start fresh and they desperately need that. The universe they’ve set up and the story is basically endless what with so many fairtales and fantasy stories for them to work with available for a retelling. Come up with compelling new characters, make a few inspired casting choices and maybe keep 1-3 established characters for more than 1 episode per season and I’ll continue to watch.

• Christin says:

I totally agree. I think a reboot could draw back a lot of viewers who were tired of OUAT turning into the Hook and Emma show at the expense of a lot of other intriguing characters. I hope they do get at least a short season 7 to explore other options and close it out after that. I guess it will depend on who else decides to stay or leave.

• Val says:

It was never turning into that, and Emma Swan was the protagonist so it was also going to focus on her and her love story and her getting her happy ending!!!

• SamofSherwood says:

You’re entitled to your opinion of course but as a fan of Captainswan, they got about five/ten minutes for their wedding & about two minutes each episode lately.

• Josh says:

This show is the Regina show

• Mary says:

It’s definitely the Regina show and that’s what killed it. They unfortunately became obsessed with her. Captain Swan have been sidelined and separated for multiple episodes this season and barely spent time together in their own wedding episode!

• ninergrl6 says:

THIS. Lana’s great and all, but I was over EQ by season 2 and certainly didn’t want to see her return this season.

• ninergrl6 says:

I’m not against a reboot, but a reboot without Captain Swan is not one I want to watch, especially not after all the build up to their wedding. This news feels like a slap in the face and a kick in the stomach at the same time. Why even bother with the wedding at all???? Give us a glimmer of joy just to have it snatched away immediately and permanently? It’s cruel, really. I’m getting angrier the more I think about it. I think I would have preferred Captain Swan to NOT get any kind of happy ending (or “happy beginning” what a joke) at all than to have have my hopes raised by this huge event only to have them immediately crushed.

• Cris says:

I think it’s best as well. I don’t enjoy shipping and I never found any of the couples on Once remotely worth shipping. Emma’s character used to be strong and someone I loved to root for- unfortunately, I do not anymore. I think the past two seasons have made the character into a live interest for Hook rather than a leading character and , in the process, go against the character’s traits I loved. The final nail in the coffin was Emma being ok with letting her parents eternally sleep forever to save her boyfriend who was not near the same fate. ( plus the pirate has 50 lives at this point so I’m sure Zues would have spared him again). When Jennifer Morrison talked about Emma’s 1950’s housewife wedding dress in interviews I started to feel like she was out the door. To me, Emma Swan died when she became the Dark One and some character I didn’t like replaced her. Good Luck to Ms. Morrison- she made the choice on her terms and she seems fine with it.

• Evelyn says:

Totally agree! Best response I’ve read -believe in the creators and let them breath life into new stories and new characters! This is the right time for a new journey! Season 7 should be allowed to show the promise of what is in store for the future stories. This one was epic, but it is, eligantly, over.

19. Lysh says:

Jen made a huge impact in how I do fandoms. It’s not surprising really, but still sad. I look forward to see what she does in the future! Honestly I don’t know if I can really continue the show without her. It’d be hard. This is one of those Castle situations where I’m fine if ABC ends it.

20. westwingwolf says:

I wasn’t happy about a possible season 7 without the Charmings, and now I definitely can’t see the show without Emma. No matter what anyone says, OUAT doesn’t work as a series like ER did. It can’t rotate out a cast of main characters. This show began with Emma’s story. It should end with it. Any attempt will just have the show appear as a pathetic attempt of what it once was. And as the show is already that more or less, this would really call attention to it. Let it die with dignity. Before it becomes one of those tragic tales of “that show was pretty good if you don’t include the last season.”

• SamofSherwood says:

Curious to know, given your user ID if this is how you feel about The West Wing? do you think it should have stopped at season six?

• westwingwolf says:

The West Wing had an easier way of rotating out main characters, but yes I always felt it was President Bartlet’s administration that told the main story. I liked that they set it up to keep telling that administration’s story while preparing for the next, but as much as I like Santos’ & Vinnick’s characters and all the characters that appeared with them as well as keeping Josh, Donna, and Sam around; I felt it was best to end the show with the Bartlet Administration as it did. And yes, at the time when it currently aired, I wasn’t a big fan of the split focus of season 7. Seasons 6 & 7 will never be my top seasons of the show even though there are things I like about them. Had the series gotten a season 8, I’m pretty sure I’d be thinking the same as I do now which it was best to end the show as it did with the Bartlet Administration while also showing that the work continues.
        But for OUAT this isn’t like TWW season 7. We aren’t getting a continuation of Emma’s story while also getting the start of a new story. From all accounts, the OUAT writers have planned to wrap up Emma’s story while also showing that the world of these characters will continue. I think that’s a good place to end it. I’d hate for the story to be wrapped up for Emma & Company, then have a new story unravel which won’t get the same amount of time as this one did to tell it. The ratings decline almost certainly guarantee that if it gets a season 7, that will be the last. So it will be like getting a complete story & then this new start of a story to get more invested in, but never fully told. I’m fine with a hint of a new story at the end. I’m not fine with getting invested in a new story, have it start to really develop, only to have it yanked away at the end. I think there will be closure at the end of this season, and that’s how I want to remember the show. It had a clear beginning, middle, and end. Not a pseudo end with season 6 that will probably be better than what the real end might be if there is a season 7. That it ended in the right place with all the main characters it started with and not just some. If they officially called the show something else and planned it as a spinoff, then I could separate the two in my mind so that OUAT ended and this new show is a continuation spinoff with some of the old characters and some new ones. But I know that probably wouldn’t work for contract reasons, so yeah I’d rather it just end.

• SamofSherwood says:

First, The West Wing is my favourite show of all time & some of the finest TV ever written I believe. I must admit, I do skip through some of the episode on re-watch Santos’ campaign trail was exactly thrilling.
          However, I did like Alan Alda’s portrayal of Vinnick & the thing I liked best was him questioning what it is to be a politician in America who doesn’t pander to religion. That press conference Vinnick gives about the distinction between politics & religion is one of the finest bits of TV I’ve ever seen. The live debate they did where they actually filmed it live, the actors even tripping over their lines a bit.
          I never could get used to CJ as Chief Of Staff, not that I didn’t think she deserved to be, the character just stopped being so fun.
          I really liked Toby’s storyline, I think that was true to the character.
          The end was wonderful, it was heartfelt, it was complete, everything you want in a series finale & to have Aaron Sorkin there was just perfect.
          Back to Once, I agree with you completely, it’s Emma’s story, if that’s told, then end it, Buffy began with Buffy, Buffy ended with Buffy, another season 7 I liked & the finale, it completed the story admirably.
          Once already gets so many polarising opinions, people who just hate-watch it, I don’t want to see it slip yet further.
          I was pulling so hard for a season 7, now I don’t even know if I’ll watch the finale this same week, what’s the point?

• Erin says:

Actually the show began with snow and charmings story

21. justsomeguy says:

Pretty much confirms the show will be cancelled. Dare I say this is good news for Timeless?

• Hugo says:

Timeless and OUAT air on different networks. I don’t see the connection here?

• nhogan47 says:

IDK how since they’re on different networks

• Fan. says:

No not really good news for Timeless, since they are on other Networks!

• Butch says:

Timeless is on NBC so I don’t know how this would impact that show.

With Emma gone they should just write a happy ending for the entire Charming family including Hook and Henry and send them off to the Enchanted Forest while the show is set in Storybrooke. That could be the explanation of where all the characters who are no longer on the show went. The new curse seems to have sent everyone except Emma and Henry to the Enchanted Forest per the preview.

• Carla Krae says:

Do you mean Time After Time?

22. greysfan says:

No :( The show isn’t Once Upon a Time without Emma Swan. Its like Greys Anatomy. The day Ellen decides to leave, the show has to end. I hate this but Once has to end if Jen is leaving. She is the show. I’m so devastated by this news :(

• jbdean says:

Not the same at all. Ellen IS Grey so the show is about HER. OUAT is an ensemble cast, no one is a title character. Not even Snow, Charming or The Wicked Queen/Regina (who pretty much started the show’s storyline).

Swan is your favorite character, we get that but there are many, many stories just like there are many, many fairy tales. THAT’S what the show is about … how all the different characters intertwine.

23. nhogan47 says:

My money’s on “over”. You heard it here first.

24. SamofSherwood says:

With no Josh & Ginny next season could this be behind her decision? maybe she wanted it to end & ABC/Disney want it to continue? Creative differences?

25. sammy says:

If the show continues, I want Regina to be front and centre…. Lana is amazing and I think that they would craft it for her and may be Henry. I feel as if there .ca be much to do there…

I’m assuming Colin will also leave cuz if they give Emma a happy ever after then Hook has to b apart of that unless they decide that in order to prevail she has to sacrifice herself as well. That would be dumb. But I am excited for this ending no matter how terribly it fell over the last few years.

The songs in the musical were ok, better than Grey’s. Wasn’t as cringeworthy.

• ninergrl6 says:

“I want Regina to be front and centre” … as opposed to how she’s been front and center in at least 50% of the episodes to date?

26. anonymous says:

no!!!!!! Im literally crying right now I have been watching this show from day 1 and it is and will never be the same without jennifer morrison as Emma swan, and what about Hook? They just got married and now his wife is randomly going to just be gone forever or on the one episode she IS in ,she will probably die. This breaks my heart and this also means that she isn’t going to die in the season/series finale btw. But I think they should just end it and do one episode to show the fans just one last thing before its over with her in it as a way to say goodbye to the show. so end the show but give us one more episode that we can enjoy before we have to let it go like a 1 or 2 hour special or something

• Jerry says:

Since it says she would be back for one episode of season 7 I would expect it things to be re-written so her and Hook go off to explore the world(s). Just because Colin was part of the original negotiations doesn’t mean he will still be needed if they have to change things now that Jennifer is leaving.

• ninergrl6 says:

As much as I adore Colin and as much as it pains me to say this, the ONLY way Jen’s departure makes sense at this point is to have Hook leave the show as well. I feel sick to my stomach just typing that, but I can’t fathom an Emma-less Hook having much of a reason for staying in Storybrooke or where ever they end up next. If they didn’t get married JUST LAST NIGHT I might feel differently. Emma’s disappearance/departure/retcon/whatever would actually have been a great catalyst for Hook to become the Dark One… but they did that already!

• jbdean says:

They can *try* a “Bewitched” Darren Stevens recasting. It worked then (and they looked and acted nothing alike). Maybe they could recast Emma. Just an idea, not saying they *should.*

• SamofSherwood says:

I’m with you, my friend & I wondered if could Colin could have been let out of his contract too? but then he’s such a fan favourite, that really would be the death of the show surely…

27. amy says:

So did ABC just not think offering Jen what she wanted was worth it? last I heard she was open tp coming back with some limitations? Anyway I am miffed at her lack of screen time this season and storyline. I will forever be bitter this show didn’t take more opportunities like the cs adventure that was the finale in Season 3. Killing Emma or having her go missing is not the Happy Ending this character or her fans deserve so I am done with ouat and honestly I have never missed an episode live

• Mary says:

Agreed!

• ninergrl6 says:

So. Much. Same. The season 3 finale is still my all time favorite ep, and there has been potential for more adventures like that all along, but we didn’t get that and now we never will. I watch the show live religiously, but now I don’t even want to watch next week’s ep at all. Can they cancel it immediately and pull next week’s episode so we can pretend the series ended last night with CS married and together? *wishful thinking*

28. Shelly says:

I wish they would just do at least one more series bc everything is different now> The charmings are finally awake and their daughter just got married ! This broke my heart 100%
    Earlier on when Jen said that she couldn’t do it forever I thought that maybe she would have at least done half of season 7 and not just one episode Im so sad :( They should just make the last episode like 3 hours

29. Felicia says:

Maybe , if jen’s career isn’t doing very well(I hope it does go well though) she could come back, Eddie and Adam said that the door is always open so let’s just hope maybe she surprises us once in awhile. Sorry I sound so desperate this is really hard for me.

30. TAB says:

I wish Jennifer the best, but I blame ABC for leaving the show’s future up in the air. Had they simply approached this season as the last (knowing contracts were ending) it wouldn’t feel so weird. Now we have a series star announcing she’s leaving and the show hasn’t been officially renewed. Suddenly season 7 doesn’t seem like “a safe bet” any longer. ABC Upfronts are next Tuesday. I don’t expect good news.

• SamofSherwood says:

It does seem to have been badly handled doesn’t it? I wonder if ABC knew about this before today.

• ninergrl6 says:

I’m sure the network knew. WHEN they knew is a different issue. I agree with TAB that had the show’s fate been determined earlier — regardless of whether season 6 was or wasn’t the end — the pacing of this season could have been entirely different and maybe we wouldn’t feel so blindsided right now. To have everything build up to the CS wedding and then find out almost immediately that one half of the pair is leaving the show? I still can’t even wrap my mind around how cruel that is.

31. Susie Excell says:

So sad she is leaving:( but much luck to her in the future..

32. Wow. This show has a passionate following. My wife & I LOVED it for the 1st 2 seasons. It completely fell apart when it started doing different Disney verses while forgetting what they had in Stroybrooke. We dumped it after the 4th season. If it had stayed true to itself, it could (should) have been more.

That all being said, you cannot do this show w/o Emma. She’s the heart & soul of it. The powers that be should just fold up the tent. If it DOES come back next season, I’d put money on it being their last.

33. adam greenan says:

Are they really seriously trying to make a season 7??? Season 6 finale is called the final battle. Can we please just end OUAT with a bang & not drag it out until even fans give up on the tired storylines

34. Wow. This show has a passionate following. My wife & I LOVED it for the 1st 2 seasons. It completely fell apart when it started doing different Disney verses while forgetting what they had in Storybrooke. We dumped it after the 4th season. If it had stayed true to itself, it could (should) have been more.

That all being said, you cannot do this show w/o Emma. She’s the heart & soul of it. The powers that be should just fold up the tent. If it DOES come back next season, I’d put good money on it being their last.

35. I’m not sure the show will get renewed as ABC plans to put American Idol on Sunday night’s.

36. Ken says:

This is concerning news one in which definitely will play a part in ABC’s decision on whether to renew it for season 7. And I was upset that the writers/creators had planned the vignette episode explaining where all of the secondary characters went and wrapping up their stories (Like Will, and Malificent and Lily, etc) but said they couldn’t fit it in this season. They wanted to do it for next season but now it looks like we will never see that episode.

37. Charlsie A Davis says:

WHAT! I can not believe this news I just read! It would be no point to watch the show anymore! Oh I’m SOOO MAD, I really can’t believe this, no more Emma Swan ABC you may be losing a faithful viewer

38. Larc says:

I’m thinking this will finish OUaT. A show doesn’t have much future when it loses its anchor.

39. Celina says:

I think the show needs to end. They’ve done everything already, they need to know when to finish a good show… I think Jennifer was smart to leave now.

40. ninergrl6 says:

I don’t even want to watch chi the finale now. If Caotain Swan doesn’t have a future, I want their story to end with the wedding. I was praying that Once would get renewed but now I’m praying it gets cancelled. As much as I love Colin, I don’t want to watch Hook suffer without Emma.

41. SamofSherwood says:

You were way quicker then THR Matt! ;)

42. Douglas from Brazil says:

Scrubs 2.0

43. Val says:

Sad news!!! All i can say is i respect Jen’s decision and choice. But i am going to miss this beautiful character who has been my very favourite since Season 1. What a beautiful journey and development this character has. I am happy to see Emma finding her family, her son and her true love and husband Hook. I just hope Emma has her happy ending/happy beginning when the show ends. Emma deserves that, Emma and Hook deserve that. I thank Jen for bringing Emma Swan to life and thank you for a beautful love story between Emma and Hook. I will miss her and them!!! Also as much as i love Colin/Hook equally as Jen, i can’t see the one without the other, how Emma and Hook would be without each other, It is hard to see one story progressing without the other (if Hook/Colin stays) for me.

44. T.W.S.S. says:

How can Hook remain a regular if his new wife is gone? They’ll either spend most of season seven trying to find Emma, who will be trapped in some place. Or Emma’s face will be totally changed due to magic, and they’ll spend the season trying to return her to her original appearance. Both of those are terrible ideas, which make them perfect for OUAT.

• ninergrl6 says:

The face change thing is one of the first options I considered. Classic soap opera move. I’d actually prefer that to Emma and Hook separated.

45. Claire says:

If Jen is out, I’m out. Emma is the heart of this show, and no new character can replace her.
    Cancel it.

46. Ryan says:

their ratings are Horrible, a renewal isn’t warranted

47. kmw says:

Well best of luck to her I am surprised I thought she was one of the ones that would be coming back. OUAT for awhile seemed like a lock to come back but I don’t know now. If they come back it most definitely will be a shortened season

48. I don’t get point of CS happy beginning now with her out and him still in. That relationship has officially ended without her. I’m going to miss Emma and getting CS both with her gone. I wish OUAT wouldn’t get a s7 over doing one without her that would surely flop. ABC may as well continue the bad news for the day and let us know they renewed it. Also Jens timing with this couldn’t have been worse.

• ninergrl6 says:

“Happy Beginning” my patooty. Everything about the wedding now seems like a sick, sadistic joke. “Let’s give them what they want and then pull the rug out from under them.” I’ve never experienced tv viewing whiplash so suddenly and profoundly in any ‘verse before. I think that’s what upsets me the most right now. They set us up and then immediately knocked us down.

• SamofSherwood says:

I feel the same, whiplash is a very accurate description, I saw Jen’s post on Instagram about a minute after she posted & I just couldn’t believe what I was reading.
        Last night was so special, not really that into the wedding aspect but the musical, totally!
        Then, boom! by the way, she doesn’t get a happy ending, not cool!
        Also why wasn’t this said to us after Christmas as it sounds like that’s when Jennifer made up her mind, this is-just-mean!

• Brandy says:

Exactly!!Robert said he descions to make by Jan so I’m sure Jen did too and they knew for for months and even A&E just said the cast departures were written around /worked in so why not announce Jens departure then if they knew then?But then again Lana & Ribert are still in negotiations so maybe they found out too late for Jen,

• ninergrl6 says:

Or maybe they thought people would stop watching if they knew she was a goner (like I’m considering now). BUT they could’ve written the wedding earlier into the season so we’d get to enjoy some CS married time (the pancakes & all) OR they could’ve written the wedding as the season/series finale and ended it exactly where last night’s ep left off. I’d be satisfied with that, but this? Nope, not one bit.

• SamofSherwood says:

They obviously wanted the wedding/musical (sad) for May sweeps but it really should’ve been the mid-season finale, announce the news & let the fans adjust, just so not cool!

49. SamofSherwood says:

Another source are reporting Colin still has a year on his contract & that Lana & Mr Carlyle want to return.
    So how’s this going to go down?
    Or will Jennifer’s announcement slate all renewal plans?

50. Tv viewer says:

I stopped watching this show a long time ago, but I agree its time for the actors to move on and the story to wrap.