13 Reasons Why Renewed Season 2 Netflix

13 Reasons Why Renewed for Season 2

Hannah Baker’s story may be over, but her Netflix drama lives on.

13 Reasons Why will return for a second season, the streaming service announced Sunday. Additionally, Tony and Pulitzer Prize winner Brian Yorkey will take over as showrunner in Season 2, succeeding Diana Son.

Though Season 1 followed Katherine Langford’s character as she made her decision to take her own life, it also introduced several of her classmates, some of them with mysteries of their own. Per the official logline, Season 2 will pick up in the aftermath of Hannah’s death and chronicle “the characters’ complicated journeys toward healing and recovery.”

While the Jay Asher novel on which Season 1 was based does not have a sequel, the author recently said he’d like to see a continuation of the story.

13 Reasons Why Season 2, which will consist of 13 episodes, is set to premiere in 2018. Watch the renewal announcement below, then tell us how you’re feeling about the decision to extend the series beyond its source material.

1. Matt C. says:

I’m really conflicted over this, because I love the cast and definitely want to see all of the loose ends resolved, but I also feel like a second season would make Hannah’s story – aka the entire basis (and title!) for the whole series – less significant. But who am I kidding? Obviously I’m gonna binge watch the crap out of season 2!

• irishrose4583 says:

I feel the same way!! I liked how they wrapped up the story but left it a little open ended…..but I know i’l watch it

2. Erika says:

I hope they involve Jay Asher in continuing the story. Otherwise I’m not sure this is a good idea.

3. Eric says:

My feelings regarding this renewal are extremely mixed. On one hand, i wish that they ended the story once the content of the book had been faithfully adapted. On the other, the first season was done quite well, and I’m gonna watch it either way.

4. Alex says:

I’ll watch it but I’m not sure how I feel about it. I thought one season was perfect and I liked the ending, now there’s a risk that it turns into a basic teen show.

And there has already been SPOILER a girl who killed herself, a boy killed in a car accident, another one just shot himself, two girls raped … what more can happen to them ?
    From the end, I think there’s going to be a shooting in the school (Tyler) but I don’t know, I feel like it’s going to be “too much”.

I’ll definitely give it a chance though, I thought the cast was really good.

5. Boy Why says:

lame. This was a really good mini series. I wish Netflix would let its mini series be mini series. Imo, this and Stranger things were very satisfying single season shows. Great ending with just the right amount of “what if”. By producing single season shows sooo many stories could be explored. Netflix could spread its budget on multiple new titles. They do it in Korea, why follow the US network trend :/ urghhh

• Dave Rudd says:

Easy question to answer: North America has done things differently than European or Asian markets in regards to television ever since conception, and will continue to do so. Not very many people in North America would be completely satisfied with a six episode season, for example, which is what is done in Britain for a lot of shows. How many times have I heard complaints that Fawlty Towers is too short a show, though it was two seasons in Britain!

6. Dave Rudd says:

Absolutely thrilled about this announcement! I think the controversy surrounding this show is stemming from people too afraid to look seriously at their own situations, and I am so glad to see Netflix has raised the bar yet again with their in-house productions. Kudos, and I can’t wait for more news to come our way!

• Da fri says:

it would be even better if some of the profits from this show went to kids helpline/suicide prevention stuff. Because right now the show/netflix is stretching profits by renewing this title for a second season when the message has already been delivered and digested. It’s essentially extorting a fictional suicide story. We would be kidding ourselves if you think they renewed it because of its important message; This was the most talked about show of the year on twitter/the net.

• ShyDi says:

Maybe they will change the characters a bit to satisfy the critics. Example: Clay will become a very young psychologist to discuss signs of mental issues in a middle of every powerful scene. Mr. Potter will be become friends with Dr. Phil just to be able to discuss what he is doing wrong with these kids. Sherry will become an advocate for traffic safety awareness in America just to tell the audience of the show that knocking down stop signs are bad.

• Fabrizia says:

It glorifies suicide. Helpline operators are horrified.

• Ryan says:

Didn’t realize that was an issue with the series. I thought it showed how tragic and horrible it is.

• Matt says:

I didn’t either at first but it totally does glamorize it. They completely ignore any mental health issues that Hannah had. It also could be interpreted by someone who is suicidal that killing themself is a great way to get revenge. “If you do it, everyone who hurt you is going to feel really bad.” The show was designed for OTHER people and does a good job at showing how small actions/bullying can be really bad. But it was NOT made with suicidal people in mind.

7. Da fri says:

I think this particular case with 13 is more problematic because the second season won’t have source material. How do they format it? there are no tapes. 13’s tape/episode format was one of the reasons it was enjoyable , heck it even became a joke/trend on the net. how do they outdo or follow that format in season 2.

8. TvLover says:

I feel the same as most have already said. I didn’t really see the need for a second season. Sometimes there can be shows with just one or two satisfying seasons. There doesn’t need to be a reason to drag it out. Although, I think that the next season will depend on how the writers approach it, since there isn’t another book. Maybe if they could get the author’s input.
    I’m sure I’ll watch it regaurdless.

9. abz says:

I’m looking forward to this. There were plenty of loose ends and there are plenty of places to go in a second in continuing to show the aftermath of Hannah’s suicide and the continued effects it has on the community and her family.

I was never fully behind the criticism the show got particularly with how people keep saying that it glamorizes and glorifies suicide. I didn’t see anything glamorous about it. And the very act itself when it was depicted showed how painful it actually is and how lonely an act it is. It wasn’t the way suicide is often depicted with taking some pills and peacefully falling asleep or in some cases not showing it at all. Hannah was scared and alone when she did it. It’s a scene that wasn’t supposed to make you feel comfortable. Hannah didn’t get any glory out of it. She’s dead. There’s nothing good coming from that and we see the effect that suicide can have not just on her family, but on a community as well, especially the kids within it whom she was in contact with. The 13 reasons were a way for her to set the record straight and tell her truth and the way she saw things. They may not have always been accurate and she may not have always made the best decisions, but they show how the collective actions of many people over time can have an effect on a person. And teenagers are especially more vulnerable because they have so little life experience and are often unable to grasp that there is much more to life than high school. Anything that happens to them, they can sometimes act like it’s the end of the world. Hannah wasn’t perfect, but she also clearly wasn’t treated well. That’s not an excuse for her suicide, because suicide is a senseless act, but it’s an understanding of her state of mind and what made her reach that point of numbness and pain and not having any hope left.

And I feel like another important thing to come out of show is highlighting the importance of having properly trained and qualified counselors and/or therapists in some schools in dealing with such sensitive issues, which wasn’t the case with Mr. Porter.
    Plus, while victims sometimes don’t always get justice in the real world, it would be great to see Bryce brought to justice.

• MMD says:

I posted my comment below before reading yours which explains how I feel better than I ever could.

My hope is that they will do a season on a school shooting because of the gun culture in the U.S. or hopefully thwart one. After all, the seeds have been planted. I thought there would definitely be changes after Sandy Hook but things seem to have only gotten worse. It’s a mentality I truly don’t understand because I haven’t a clue as to where to purchase a gun locally nor have I ever thought of getting one. Now stabbings are a major issue here in some cities so my country has its issues as well.

10. MMD says:

i’m not sure how I feel about this. I found the original series very difficult to watch and I hope that it truly opens up conversations in families everywhere. It seems though that everyone that I have talked to either is glad they watched it or wish they had never heard about it. It’s a big problem in schools and when some talk about it glorifying suicide it shocks me because it sure as hell isn’t pretty. Parents truly haven’t a clue as to what is going on inside the mind of a teenager and most of the kids are incapable of expressing how they really feel. At that age they are incapable of realizing that things do get better and that their latest trauma is not the end of the world or going to ruin their life.

11. Hannah and Clay’s storylines were great. If any part of the show wasn’t directly related to them, I didn’t find them too interesting. I can’t see how next season will be anywhere near as good.

12. DarkDefender says:

The second season should be 13 reasons why someone decided NOT to commit suicide.

13. Steve F. says:

There’s only one reason why I want a Season 2 of 13 Reasons Why: to see that smug jerkhole Bryce get what’s coming to him.

14. LaDonna says:

I’m torn. I don’t think 13 Reasons needs a second season. It was Hannah’s story. Her story is over. Life goes on for the rest…for better or worse. But, on the other hand, I adore Brian Yorkey’s work on Broadway. If you want to see another show where he tackles mental illness, go search YouTube for Next to Normal. Set aside 2 hours and an entire box of kleenex. The material is stunning and Alice Ripley won a Tony for her performance.