Gather ’round, lovers of horror, because it’s time to get acquainted with the fresh crop of characters populating MTV’s Scream reboot — you know, while they’re all still alive.
Following MTV’s recent announcement of a new showrunner (The Vampire Diaries‘ Brett Matthews) and a new pack of executive producers (including Queen Latifah!), TVLine has exclusively learned of five new characters being cast in Season 3:
* First up is Dion, a Michael B. Jordan-esque football player on track to score a college scholarship — that is, until a masked killer uses Dion’s darkest secrets against him, turning his life upside down and making him question his own sanity.
* Liv is Dion’s cheerleader girlfriend, as beautiful as she is brilliant. She’s also down to lend a helping hand where needed, though her good intentions often land her in hot water.
* Kym is the rebellious one of the group, always willing to say what everyone else is thinking. She’s organized and protective, two qualities that will serve her well when a killer starts targeting her friends.
* Beth is a little different from her fellow seniors, sporting a goth look and a morbid collection of interests. A “walking encyclopedia of all things horror,” she’s compared to The Craft‘s Fairuza Balk.
* And then there’s Dion’s step-brother Jamal. Despite hanging out with a rough crowd, he’s got a big heart and an undying loyalty to Dion.
It should be noted that MTV is stressing diverse casting for Scream‘s third season; Dion and Jamal are both black, while actresses of diverse backgrounds will be considered for the roles of Liv and Kym.
Your thoughts on Scream‘s new crew? Drop ’em in a comment below.