Riverdale Season 1 Episode 12 Jughead

Riverdale Preview: Jughead Pays an 'Emotional' Jailhouse Visit to [Spoiler]

Teen love triangles are fun and all… but this Thursday’s Riverdale (The CW, 9/8c) is going full-on crime drama.

“Most of our episodes, there’s a balance between the soap and the mystery,” showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa says, but this week’s episode “is all about the mystery.” And rightfully so, since Jughead’s dad F.P. was just arrested — and possibly framed? — last week for the murder of Jason Blossom.

The arrest hit Jughead hard, crushing any hope he had of getting his family back together. Star Cole Sprouse (Jughead) says this week’s scenes of Jughead visiting his dad in jail are “definitely my favorite of Season 1.” But has F.P.’s arrest convinced Jughead that his dad actually is a killer? Sprouse will only shrug.

Riverdale Season 1 Photos Skeet Ulrich F.P. JonesSkeet Ulrich, who plays F.P., admits that Thursday’s jailhouse scenes get “pretty emotional. There’s a lot of disappointment, and a lot of secrets still being hidden. It’s quite intense.” But he doesn’t think F.P. is totally evil: “I always talk to Roberto about [F.P.’s] throughline being, ‘Sometimes good people do bad things for the right reasons.'”

Archie’s dad Fred (Luke Perry) takes a step back from his friendship with F.P. after the arrest, Perry teases: “You know the old saying: You don’t know who your friends are until the s–t gets deep? I think when it gets deep with [F.P.], it makes [Fred] stop and think about what this friendship is, the history behind it. And is this somebody [Fred] can be friends with going down the road? Because [he’s] got to set an example for [Archie].”

But Archie knows something his dad doesn’t: Someone planted a gun in F.P.’s trailer to make it look like he killed Jason. “The kids are trying to prove that F.P. was framed, but no one believes them,” Aguirre-Sacasa hints. “And it seems like the entire town is going into lockdown to railroad F.P. It’s a little bit of a race against time.”

And the clock is definitely ticking: Aguirre-Sacasa has already said the season-long mystery of who killed Jason will be solved this week, ahead of next Thursday’s season finale. Will Jughead have to schedule more visits to the Riverdale jail? Or is another main character about to get fitted for an orange jumpsuit?

Alright, Riverdale fans, time for the big question: Who. Killed. Jason. Blossom? Give us your best theories in the comments.

1. Ben says:

I’m looking forward to this episode so this episode. There had been weeks when I wasn’t I interested in watching, would skip a few episodes and catch up whenever I had spareness time. This week I am actually very excited to see what happens. Last week was really good.

2. Rachel says:

Please, please, please DO NOT kill off FP. I can’t bear to see Jughead even more heartbroken.

3. Anyone have any good theories on who the real killer is?

• Rachel says:

Most popular theory seems to be Hal.

• Kari says:

Hal is to obvious I think the killer is one of the Blossom parents right now I am leaning toward Clifford.

• kirads09 says:

“Dark” Betty in a fugue state. She already told Jug that when her darkness is there, she isn’t in control. I think she saw something that made her lose it. Perhaps she thought Jason was about to betray and leave preggers Polly and lost it.

2nd Theory – Jason have killed himself? Has that ever been discussed?

• ToyCannon says:

I think it will be Mayor McCoy. She is an important character in the town, but not in the “Archie” universe. Plus Robin Givens has been severely underused this season, lurking in the background. Revealing her character as the killer brings a named star to the forefront and will garner media coverage.

• Paul says:

#1 Hermione
      #2 Jughead
      #3 Pauline

4. JOE S HILL says:

This is supposed to be Archie and the gang? making these characters look like today’s dysfunctional role models, and this is Greg Berlanti’s idea of the gang from Riverdale? pathetic!
    i’ll stick with the CBS Saturday morning cartoon series from 1968-1978 any day before I waste my time watching this shi!!

• Wrstlgirl says:

LMAO!!! Thanks for stopping by.

• June Mars says:

Frankly, I just enjoy the show for entertainment as all movies and shows should never be taken that seriously. I like that the made the characters modern and relatable to today as the comics have always done through the ages.

The beauty about things like TV and movies is that if it’s not your cup of tea, you certainly don’t have to watch. You also don’t need to comment if you’re so concerned about wasting your time. Also, maybe your role models shouldn’t be fictional characters anyway.

• TV Gord says:

I still enjoy the ’60s stuff (I have all the albums on CD), but I love this series! It’s okay to enjoy it all!

• Rick says:

Wanker.

• ScottJ says:

Haven’t read the comics in the last 3 or 4 years have you? They changed it all first.

5. Gospino says:

I don’t know. Dark!Betty is a real possibility. But I’ll guess it is one of the parents. I just hope I like the reveal.

6. ScottJ says:

I suspect the reason why Jason was killed may be far more interesting than who the killer is. Like others here everything points to Hal. But my theory is that Alice Copper didn’t have the abortion that she said Hal forced on her, and it wasn’t his baby anyway. So Jason and Cheryl aren’t twins, but Jason was Polly’s half-brother.

Or maybe I’m completely mis-reading things.

• Lindsay says:

Such a great point! Everyone keeps asking who the killer is, but the “why” is probably going to be far more interesting.