Rise Series Order Jason Katims NBC

Jason Katims' Rise, Anne Heche Military Drama Get Series Orders at NBC

Jason Katims is officially going back to high school.

NBC has given a series order to the Friday Night Lights‘ showrunner’s Rise, a drama about an inspirational theater teacher in a small town, TVLine has learned.

The series, which stars Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) and Rosie Perez (Search Party), is based on Michael Sokolove’s book Drama High — which was the show’s original title — about real-life instructor Lou Volpe.

The Peacock Net also greenlit the drama For God & Country, which stars Anne Heche (Men in Trees) and Mike Vogel (Under the Dome). Heche plays D.I.A. deputy director Patricia Campbell, who leads a team of analysts using advanced surveillance technology. Vogel’s Adam Dalton is part of a Special Ops squad that goes undercover to “save lives of innocent people and execute missions in some of the most dangerous places in the world,” per the series’ logline.

Scroll down to see the first photos from both shows, then hit the comments: Do either of the dramas get you excited for fall TV?

Rise Series Order NBC Jason Katims

1. fernando933 says:

Rise should be place after The Voice on mondays

2. Bella says:

I’d give them both a chance.

3. Adam says:

Well at least they still have the voice and the Chicago franchise.

4. Gospino says:

Both sound cliched and boring, especially For God & Country. Yawn.

• Ethan Adagio says:

I don’t know about that. This is Jason Katims we are talking about. He wrote Friday Night Lights and Parenthood.

5. Grace says:

Anne Heche is so blah. Might give the series a shot because of Vogel tho.

6. Dannie C says:

So glad for Rise (still having trouble remembering the title) looking forward to checking it out

7. Max says:

If they recast the Josh Radnor character, maybe I’ll tune in to Rise.

8. justsomeguy says:

Honestly should have kept Emerald City over these 2 shows. At least EC had an interesting hook.

9. Joey Padron says:

Happy Rise got a series order! Can’t wait to see the trailer for the show in a few weeks. Looking forward to see the trailer for For God & Country.

10. Sarah D says:

Will give For God and Country a try. Though it’s pretty to similar to what Taken is doing. But I guess Taken might get cancelled since the numbers haven’t been so good.

• KLS says:

It does sound like Taken, but maybe the emphasis is more on the analysts (boring) and less on the Special-Ops unit. They have to be careful with the tech though or this may turn into another CSI:Cyber (outdated tech, boring, unrealistic characters).

11. Debbie says:

So I guess that means Aftermath is done over at Syfy or maybe they’ll just kill off Anne Heche’s character there.

12. Chris says:

Always liked Mike Vogel but can’t stand the crazy b**** that is Anne heche, hopefully they recast her.

• Television Scout says:

I have to be honest… I thought the same thing when I saw the cast list for God & Country. Remarkable how Anne Heche (and Kristen Schaal) continue to find work. I would be interested in knowing what her TV-viewer Q-score is… it can’t be good.

I know her fans would say, ‘she’s such a good actress’, but come on, there are plenty of fine actresses in that age group who could do just as well, and not polarize an audience in the process. Too much (way too much) baggage. I will pass on God & Country if they don’t recast (although I am a fan of Mike Vogel); I won’t invest in a show with producers who are not casting for success. Everything has to click to have a pilot (and eventual series) be a success, and casting is one of those criteria.

13. KLS says:

Nice to have Rosie Perez back!

14. jp says:

I guess that kills Aftermath if it was not already cancelled.

15. Mara says:

I like the premise of Rise but the casting is terrible!

16. sunshine says:

I’m afraid the title “Rise” won’t attract viewers, should’ve stuck with “Drama High”. Titles matter to people who just browse the channels and stuff like “Halt and Catch Fire” don’t make viewers stop and watch. I could go on and on with more examples but they still use weird titles.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

You got me thinking…

* Men in Trees (yes, Anne Heche again… series from about 10 years ago)
      * Selfie (from ABC a couple of years ago)
      * Work It (ABC again – 2011)
      * DAG (NBC from around 2000-01… David A. Grier show using his initials)