Emerald City Cancelled at NBC

Dorothy’s journey ends here.

NBC has opted not to move forward with a second season of its contemporary Wizard of Oz reboot Emerald City, TVLine has learned.

Emerald City launched last January with a tepid 4.5 million viewers and a 1.0 demo rating. By the time it wrapped its 10-episode run two months later, it had dipped to 2.9 mil/0.7.

Following the finale, exec producers Shaun Cassidy and David Schulner confirmed to EW.com that they had a plan for Season 2. “Should NBC choose to make another limited series based on Baum’s characters, David and I would welcome the opportunity,” the said. “If not, know that this has been one of the most fulfilling experiences either of us has enjoyed, and we remain humbled by all of our brilliant creative partners who made this show so exceptional.”

1. jimmyu says:

No surprise. I think most people forgot it even aired.

2. fernando933 says:

I knew this was coming but a season two would have hold a good story.

3. datdudemurphy says:

It was better than I had expected, but this is still no surprise.

4. jeanna says:

Not surprised but it’s still a shame. It was a good series. Would have had a longer life on any other platform beside a major broadcast network.

5. Sam says:

Shock!…not. High concept shows don’t usually last do they?

• ncforsgren says:

Nope. I swear it’s like they cancel the shows that require more thinking than a sitcom and hold onto the stupid ones. Just another example of TV executives not understanding the potential of a story. This WAS the network that at first cancelled “Timeless”! Obviously they are not always very good at this part of their jobs. I mean, how many reality TV shows do we need for crying out loud!

6. Wendy says:

Once Vincent D’Onofrio booked a new show, I knew this was toast.

7. Catherine says:

Can’t let the unique stuff stay around…

• Amanda says:

I know. Some shows get tons of seasons, but as you said unique stuff doesn’t get a fair chance.

8. Jason says:

I liked it. Very disappointed to see it go.

• Amanda says:

Me too. I wanted to see the witches stories expand, Dorothy’s character grow into the caring person she was becoming, more of Auntie Em and Uncle Henry and does Dorothy get to keep Toto when she sees him in the last episode? Was she dreaming that Lucas was there? So many unanswered questions leaving us hanging, 😢

• Mickey says:

Me too, BRING IT BACK!!! Great story line!!! PLEASE!

• Tammy says:

I agree with all they keep the good place don’t get me wrong it’s ok but it’s no emerald city I could take or leave good place but I looked forward to Friday night I hope someone else picks it up it was a great show

9. Couchmom says:

I enjoyed it. Would have liked a second season. Oh well. 😮

10. Sara says:

I really enjoyed it and would have probably enjoyed another season. That said, I am not surprised. At least they wrapped up most of the story. Only a few dangling mysteries.

• Amanda says:

I liked it too and I am not surprised either, however I felt like there were many mysteries and storylines left open.

11. Lyndy says:

Is the show worth watching anyway even if there’ll be no s2. I have it n my DVR, saving for summer

12. Katherine215 says:

Disappointing but not surprising. It had all those issues getting produced so it always seemed like NBC just wanted to be done with it. I really enjoyed it and would have loved a season two. :(

13. Sandra Joyce says:

Horrible decision to cancel this show!! You’ve left the viewers in the middle of the story with so many unanswered questions. I really hope another network picks it up because I only watch one other series on regular TV and don’t mind switching.

14. M says:

Even if this isn’t surprising news, I’m sorry to hear it. It was interesting and engaging – a unique show that deserved a better fate.

15. amanda says:

i think u should make another series of emerald city was left on cliff hanger

16. Emerald City didn’t premiere last January, it premiered this January :)

17. Jennifer says:

Well, that sux. It ended on a cliffhanger. Can they at least tell us is the Beast Forever was Dorothy’s father?
    Any chance some other outlet will pick it up? It is really a shame. It was a fabulous show.

18. Dominique says:

what a shame. it was a good show with awesome characters. i guess i expected it somewhere, cause NBC is really good at cancelling everything that’s not part of the L&O and Chicago universe.

19. Sam says:

hahahahah bye bye

20. kirads09 says:

I was hoping for more but knew it was a long shot. Great show. Wonderful performances by all. Really enjoyed it.

21. Bummer. Not surprised, but it was a good summer series.

22. Jennifer says:

Kinda sad to see this go. I actually enjoyed watching this and it was visually stunning. Love the vision that Tarsem Singh created for this show.

23. christopher bee says:

I´ve loved the show and once more a strong joung female lead was not in the demographic – like Pitch. Thanks to Tarsem, the Cast and Crew, it was a wonderfull ride.

24. Enuff says:

Horrible show. Could have been done so much better. Deviate too far from the source material and this is what you get. Good riddance.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

So, hot shot, what part of the industry are you in? Writer, producer, director, studio executive?

25. Lisa Hunt says:

BOOOOOO! This show was so unique and had such potential. Any chance for another network to pick it up??

26. ZinniQ says:

Very, very sad about this.

27. kmw says:

No surprise and I am sorry for the fans who enjoyed it. if it had been on FOX they might have renewed it.

28. Jerry says:

Very disappointed. Maybe it will find another network? It was such a well-done show!

29. T.W.S.S. says:

From the marketing, I thought this was a miniseries (which is why I stuck with it to the end), so I was very surprised by the cliff-hanger ending.

30. Liz says:

Nooooooo!!! This year is a massacre. Well the good news is my pvr will be much less stressed next year.

31. Tammy says:

I really enjoyed the show and am disappointed and sorry to see it go. I would like to have seen a season 2!

32. NO! I love that show. Every time they do something with some imagination they get rid of. What next? another inane “reality” show.

33. Sandy says:

Feel like I knew and loved the brilliant cast members like a magical dream
    The set designs were a pleasure to view … true eye candy
    Hurts that what could have become an iconic epic show has been lost forever💔

34. schiss says:

Who cares?

35. Does NBC have exclusive rights? Can they sell them to another network?

36. stewag48 says:

a good looking production but way too revisionist. The only likeable character was Gerran Howell’s “jack” . A fine performance that developed a sympathetic character. Otherwise the rest of the cast just seemed flat or disinterested. I so wanted this series to work but despite early promise it just could never make me care about it or the people with the exception of “jack”….

37. Penny says:

It’s terrible that it ended the way it did. It would be a nice season finale, but there is more to be told. Those of us who followed faithfully are left hanging. I’ve had enough of the CSI type shows and this was a great change and twist on the original. Think you dropped the ball on this one NBC. Moving to cable, not all of us have that luxury either.

38. Moe says:

Really enjoyed the show and the depth off each character. I hate to see it end as is. MoeJoe

39. TaKAei says:

Aw man! I thought it was pretty good.

40. MK says:

Intelligent. Good looking. Mysterious. Good acting and a redefinition of ideas from a children’s classic that was really worth the watching.

I think in addition to everything else, it needed better marketing: I practically had to trip over it before I knew it was on and then binge-watched and settled in to wait for the season 2 that won’t be coming.

41. I am really disappointed that Emerald City will not be returning. Just binge watched season one and I can’t get enough. I am obsessed with the show and the characters. I sure do hope NBC changes their minds and let’s it come back for season two.

42. Kim says:

Awsome.. hope we get a season 2 .. well written

43. Kim says:

Awsome . I hope we get a season 2 well written loved it

44. Dominique Franco says:

A wonderful series and I’m so disappointed to see it go. I was hoping for at least two seasons.

45. Mari says:

The least a network can do is allow one more episode to wrap thing up. Makes me wonder whether I’ll watch another NBC program that has a continuing theme live. I’ll just wait for the DVD!

46. Mzz_Sadie says:

NBC I have to say good bye to you. Every time you creative an unique show, you kill it either midseason or after the first season ends.

Emerald City and Grimm were the last 2 shows I watched on NBC. Now that both are gone, there isn’t anything else for me to watch on NBC.

Why did Emerald City have to end on a cliffhanger? Ugh, that is sooo frustrating!

47. Julie Rabe says:

So sad as I was really invested in this show especially “East’s” story line. Not to mention my other show (even though renewed) the whole cast is gone (Once Upon A Time) :(

48. Andria says:

Why is the reason this show isn’t coming back? Too advanced for most people? I loved this show. Cancel after one season? The show never had a chance. I want to know is…..why all the mindless idiot shows stay on the air, or like themed shows(all stations have them) stay for season after mindless season. Yet great concept shows are done before they get a chance to grow.

49. SamanthaJ says:

What happened to NBC saying during previews that it was the “best new show on NBC”? I liked it and I’m disappointed that it won’t return for a second season. This show is worth a second season, if not on NBC then somewhere else. Maybe a network that sees a point of view beyond law/cop shows.

50. Mickey says:

This stinks!! People needed to give it a chance and now I am hanging by a thread! It got better and better every week, no patience! Bring it back!!!