The Handmaid's Tale Renewed

Handmaid's Tale Renewed for Season 2

Offred’s fight for independence will continue for at least another 10 episodes.

Four episodes into its acclaimed first season, The Handmaid’s Tale has been renewed for a second season at Hulu. In making the announcement, the streamer revealed that “The Handmaid’s Tale premiere has been watched by more Hulu viewers than any other series premiere – original or acquired – on the service.”

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Margaret Atwood, the drama stars Elisabeth Moss as Offred, a Handmaid in the Commander’s (Joseph Fiennes) household and one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world. The cast also includes Alexis Bledel, Yvonne Strahovski and Ann Dowd.

“The response we’ve seen to The Handmaid’s Tale in just one week since its premiere has been absolutely incredible,” said Hulu’s Head of Content Craig Erwich in a statement. “It has been an honor to work with this talented team of cast and creators to develop a series that has struck such a chord with audiences across the country. As we continue to expand our strong slate of original programming, The Handmaid’s Tale is exactly the type of gripping and thought-provoking storytelling we want to bring to viewers. We can’t wait to explore the world of Gilead and continue Margaret’s vision with another season on Hulu.”

Season 2 of Handmaid’s Tale will bow in 2018.

1. KCatty says:

Great news!!

2. A M B says:

Let’s start speculating about where it will go in season 2. Here’s mine

Luke’s alive causing whole lot of angst and explicit rethinking how the old male-female relationships led to the new one and if there ever was a trust. Also present tense love triangle.

There will be a plot in the colonies with the unwomen cleaning toxic waste

We’ll get more direct news from the war including meeting some of the angel/soldiers and their indoctrination.

A full trip on the underground female road to Canada.

3. MrScreenAddict says:

Is this a Leftovers-type situation where Season 1 will adapt the entirety of the book and everything else will be original material? Or will Seasons 1 and 2 both cover the events of the novel? So many questions.

4. Maahem says:

Really happy to hear this! Interested to see where they take it based on the book’s ending. I hope we see more of Ofglen

5. KCG19 says:

Yes! The book left me so frustrated. I hate a “you decide what happened” ending.

6. bluepasj says:

I’m worried. If there’s just one book… I didn’t read the book but… I fear first season’s end will be too unsatisfactory and I fear there will be too many more seasons and it’s too bleak for a conclusion to keep being postponed.

7. GERRY CURRO says:

I read the book and I enjoyed it. I watched it ’till the end thinking it was a miniseries. When it didn’t start moving I thought they would tie it up. Imagine my disappointment when it just kept going-very slowly! I’m not going to watch it next year. 10 more episodes? Maybe a Season 3? No thanks!