Exclusive
Kristin Kreuk

Kristin Kreuk-Fronted Legal Drama Ordered Straight to Series at CBC

Kristin Kreuk‘s word is law. Or at least it will be up North.

The Canadian Broadcasting Company (CBC) has placed a 10-episode straight-to-series order for a untitled small-town legal drama starring and exec produced by the Smallville and Beauty and the Beast actress.

The project, from writer Brad Simpson (King, Rookie Blue), centers on Joanne, a fast-rising attorney who leaves her fancy big-city corporate job to tackle a controversial case in her hometown. And she ends up staying put.

Production is slated to begin this summer in Winnipeg. There’s no official word on a U.S. home for the series.

1. LK says:

So.. basically Hart of Dixie with the law instead of medicine?

2. Sam says:

Sounds pretty boring to me! If Canadian television is going to crib from American television why can’t they follow the example of HBO rather than TNT/Lifetime?

• Dude says:

I think the number of fantastic Canadian shows on television prove Canadian TV is doing just fine. One legal drama doesn’t represent an entire country just like the Big Bang Theory doesn’t represent the US.

• Anne says:

*presents Orphan Black as counter argument*

• Ryan says:

CBC is like HBO, they can swear and do whatever. lol @ Hart Of Dixie, that was a law knock off version of Gilmour Girls.

• Samm says:

I know! I was shocked when I saw breasts on basic cable at regular hours while watching Working Moms on CBC. Not that I’m a prude, I just didn’t know that was allowed! SO kudos to CBC for putting out great TV.

• sasksleddog says:

Canadian broadcast regulations allow “non-sexually” nudity at army time of the day and “sexual” nudity as well as all swear words (including “F” and “S” after 9 p.m.). Not that most English Canadian broadcasters actually take advantage of that freedom.

3. Lmm says:

Hope it comes to US! I’d love to see it!

4. ggny says:

If you ever find yourself wondering what TV you favorite Smallville actor is on now look to Canada they are most likely on a Canadian series

5. John says:

She was my least favorite thing about Smallville. I never thought she could act worth anything. I guess that’s not all it takes to land yet another series.

6. Julia says:

I really like her! Liked her in her very small part on “Chuck” & liked her on “Beauty & the Beast.” Think she’s a natural actress! Hope the series eventually airs in the U.S. Plus, she’s beautiful!!

7. Dennis says:

I was JUST thinking what happened to her yesterday… miss her since Smallville!

Yay happy she is coming back, she’s so talented!

8. Jared says:

I love Kristin Kreuk and hopefully it finds a US home.

9. Thaciana Barros says:

Whoo Hoo… Kristin Kreuk back to TV!!!!

10. rinaex says:

“Kristin Kreuk-Fronted Legal Drama Ordered Straight to Series”

I was like “Huh?!?” at this.

“at CBC”

Then it all made sense.

11. Anne says:

Ooo. I became a real fan of hers cause of Beauty and the Beast.
    And omg tvline, you just talked about the CBC!!!!! Made my Canadian CBC-fangirl heart proud.

12. sos says:

Meh. Another artificial entertainment production where the individual who has the big shot career and the status and fortune that comes with faces an ethical dilemma in a small town case than ends up changing them and causing them to give up all those things. It’s easy to portray on the screen when there is no real stakes and it’s fantasy, but obviously would never happen in reality by the actors themselves or people like the characters they are playing.

• Summer says:

Yes, that’s why it’s television.

• sos says:

Like I said, “meh”. It’s fine as entertainment. It’s great for the actors, producers, or whoever else is being financially compensated. Just don’t talk about how you believe in the stories, it means a lot to you, it’s art, it has important themes, and all the other insincere pseudo-intellectual nonsense to sell it as something more than it is. You’re entertainers indirectly selling advertising space to other businesses and nothing more.

13. Jay says:

omg, how many shows do we need about a corporate high flier deciding to start afresh in a small town?

14. MMD says:

To be fair, CBC has quite a diverse group of quality shows that it airs and they are usually well done. Have never watched Smallville so am not familiar with the actress but always give CBC shows a try. In comparison with the other major networks, CTV, Global,City etc. which are usually a combination of US shows (a great many that are filmed here) and Canadian shows, some which pique my interest and others that don’t.

15. Ted says:

Kristen is Cute af

16. Isaburd says:

Yeah baby! Love KK.

17. H says:

“It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.”

18. Angelfan says:

Lovely woman, can’t act her way out of a paper bag. Don’t understand her popularity.

• Leo Parker says:

You’re delusional. She’s a fantastic actress. She was the gem of Smallville and the only reason I watched. The WB promoted the crap outta her. I remember how The WB trailers would include her even when she wasn’t in the episode just to get viewers. Haha. When she left so did I. She’s so beautiful and delicate, soft and enchanting.

This show sounds like another Hart of Dixie or Everwood. I hope it’s like the latter. HoD was boring AF. CBC generally has good shows. Hopefully it gets picked up in the US too. Can’t wait to see KK again.

19. heroic poet says:

You can always tell the rejected boys and jealous girls from what they post. Not good enough at her job but somehow able to make millions in a highly competitive industry. Not worthy of attention but still somehow relevant enough to care about enough to post the backhanded sneer.

20. Bobby says:

Yay!!!! I love KK since she was Lana Lang ♥

21. Maldwyn Dobbs says:

Kristin Kreuk, is a lovely young actress. I wish her great good luck with this project. I hope i get to see this, here in the UK.

22. Missy says:

i love her. hopefully she stars alongside more gorgeous actors cause she’s gorgeous and talented. Why sophia bush always lucky, find gorgeous actors to star with and hook up with on and off screen. It’s time Kristin Kreuk get the same luck.