Girl Meets World Not Returning

Girl Meets World Is Officially Dead

Riley and Maya took on the world… and the world won.

Girl Meets World creator Michael Jacobs used the show’s writers’ Twitter account on Wednesday to confirm that, despite his best efforts, a new home has not been found for the canceled Disney Channel sitcom.

The show’s season-turned-series finale aired in January, culminating with the largest Boy Meets World reunion in GMW history; Shawn, Mr. Feeny and more fan-favorite characters — including both Morgans — returned to help the Matthews figure out if they should move to London. (Spoiler alert: They did not move to London.)

“There are talks underway, but we’re at the very, very beginning stages,” Jacobs told TVLine earlier this year. “And I can tell you it’s because of the audience’s reaction to the cancellation that there is interest in other places.”

Sadly, those talks yielded no results.

Are you bummed to hear that Girl Meets World is officially dead in the water, or were you prepared for this? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Van says:

Shouldn’t have ever been at disney anyway. The stupid cheesey stuff they do always sucks

2. ndistops says:

There’s a large part of me that’s annoyed Disney Channel ever greenlit this show if they had no intention whatsoever of letting it continue as long as Boy Meets World did.

• jml says:

I disagree with that. The cancellation sucks, and I wish it were going to be able to continue. However, having it at all, even if it isn’t for as long, is infinitely better than not having it, and I remain grateful to Disney Channel for greenlighting it in the first place. As much enjoyment as it gave you, would you really rather that never have existed?

3. Jaclyn Connell says:

This was unequivocally this best thing on television. Big. Huge mistake. It’s a terrible disappointment that this show dropped while so many others stay on. And the fact that it can’t find a new home scares me as to shows me how desperately we need this show to stay on television.

4. Dannie C says:

Very sad, had so much more to offer the world.

5. Joey Padron says:

Sad news. Gonna miss the show so much.

6. Dan Char says:

So sad… That was the one rare show for the hole family… 😞

7. Amanda says:

This never would have happened if they didn’t try to do the whole love triangle thing, it was lame, it wasted a good portion of a season! Or if they had put Farkle and Riley, then Mya and Lucas, the show might’ve been better! But if ifs and buts were berries and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Christmas!

• Television says:

Agree, love triangle was too much. Farkle and Riley, Mya and Lucas were what should have been.And there was too much Auggie and Ava.

8. Andrew Hass says:

I’m disappointed but i’m not that surprised by this news either because i could b\guess that no other network would pick up the show.Plus even if they did they might have wanted to change the show in some way.So in way maybe it’s better Girl Meets World ends the way it did.

9. browncourtroom says:

there were like 5-7 good episodes. The rest were bad. I wish another channel had started it. i feel like it would have been continuously good.

10. Odessa Wells says:

So sad that a show that made not only kids think but also adults is taken away BUT you have shows were teenage pregnancies are rewarded. I don’t know why there are no networks willing to take this show and run with it like the family channel (called something else now) where the show can get more real instead of Disney friendly. I’m hoping they continue to look at avenues (don’t give up).

• George Stevens says:

Disney itself is one channel that’s rewarding teen pregnancy shows. Prime example… Andi Mack.

• Rachel says:

Agree! They are making ignorance famous now days on so many channels. We don’t watch mucheck TV but this was a show we could come together as a family and watch just like BMW. Sad to see a good thing end.

11. adam says:

Shocked!! not at all when you have a “star” coming out as “gender fluid” as a preteen. maybe she’ll stick to playing dress up and leave politics to adults next time. its never good to alianate half the country.

12. Brittany says:

heartbroken… the second saddest cancellation ever, just after Forever from a couple years back of which I am still grieving

13. Annie says:

My daughter liked the goofy, physical comedy of the first season. Once the show got soapy and serious she was out.

14. rinaex says:

My niece would watch this, so I would occasionally get sucked in. The first season was okay, but the second season on was rather dreadful, IMO, so I can’t say I’m sorry to see that it’s done.

15. Eric says:

This is really too bad. As a huge fan of Boy Meets World, I really loved watching this series. I wish it had been done on a different channel, but it was still really fun (albeit slightly tainted by the necessary Disney Channel cheese). I was hoping it would be picked up by another platform like Netflix that would have allowed the characters and storylines to grow, while continuing to treat us with the occasional BMW cameo that we fans loved so much.

16. Ram510 says:

This is a sad day

17. Melissa B. says:

This sucks. This was a great show that I could enjoy along with and bond with my nieces over. Disney made a mistake with this one. Shocker.

18. A. D. says:

This royally sucks! Such a great show and yet plenty of the same old same old boring law and police shows…so sad! Disney probably wanted an arm and a leg for the rights…sucks!

19. GeekWithFanGirlSkills says:

I was prepared for it and yet I am still bummed out by it. This show was the first show I truly enjoyed watching with my niece and we both miss it terribly.

20. Lila says:

Darn shame Freeform or ABC could have been a great new home and brought the franchise back to its original roots while also allowing it to tackle bigger issues and grow with the audience.

21. Dustin says:

This show was a great show my question is it being kicked off Disney because of the rumors about rowan? If so that is so wrong her and Sabrina done so great with this show and the whole cast all the way to Ava made this show interesting and worth watching

22. Anon says:

Sad news. I wonder if they have considered crowdfunding, maybe with a combination of advertising or subtle product placement? Straight to Blu-ray and DVD, or to digital, could be possible.

23. Jo says:

Haven’t watched Disney since it was cancelled. They made a HUGE mistake.

24. This cancellation and being unable to move to another network has made no sense to me. This was a great show. I have a feeling there are other factors that contributed to this.

25. Siyana says:

I’m so sad that my favorite show and why can’t you wait till someone is done with shooting there show or movie

26. Flashrow says:

Since Disney doesn’t care about their leads being old enough for having kids in their revivals, we just need to way 10 years more for the continuation of the continuation.

27. Jherie lacorte says:

Bring back Girl meets World

28. Jherie lacorte says:

Bring back the sweet and sensitive show GIRL MEETS WORLD

29. scott howard says:

it was great show my girls and me watched every show we were sad to see it canceled

30. Danny Randal says:

I watched and liked the show but I don’t really care if it goes off the air and never comes back on if it was something like Arrow or another show I watched and grew up with I would be mad for example Lab Rats I grew up with that show and I really miss it but Girl Meets World has only been on tv For three years and I don’t think it is worth fighting for but I may be wrong fighting for may bring it back depending on what happens in the future Just like young justice it had two season and everyone wanted it back and soon enough me and a bunch of others are going to receive what they wanted for four years so keep making hashtags and other things to grap the directors and producers and even Disney’s attention to get what you want because Channels and production companies do what they think is right but If that movie or show kill off a character or make that character leave the show and the people want them back then they will do that they want money and keeping you happy is going to do that

31. Mark says:

Not surprised. Bummed, but not surprised.

32. Rachel says:

Why is it all the good, clean, family oriented shows have to get canceled? They are going to keep some shows that don’t make you think or learn good morals but cancel the ones that do… crazy! And the fact that GMW was so popular just as BMW is crazy for another not to pick up. This is a bitter sweet moment just like when all the rest of TV history died. GMW went down with the best, BMW, The wonder years, The Andy Griffith show, just to name a few. It could have been great for a lot longer. But all good things must come to an end. :’-(

33. datdudemurphy says:

We hate Disney

34. Mary says:

I think the show was something today’s kids really need to see, just like Boy Meet World. It was a very great Disney sitcom.

35. It’s a pity, because there is so much that is left hanging. For example, Shawn as a step father, Zay’s interest in Maya, the whole Josh promise of playing the long game, the kids growing up… And there is the whole mystery of Lucas. His family and back story were never explored. And, frankly, I just miss Farkle. So much promise, just dumped.

36. Tracy Tuten says:

The writing was so bad! It was boring, depressing and not funny. These are suppose to he kids and having fun but instead its like they examine their feeling about everything every episode. Great actors and characters if you could get good writers it could be a wonderful show.

37. Gail says:

Many fans of the original did not know of the series. Should have had a different channel and some advertising.

38. Rhonetta says:

The best family show on Disney my kids and I loved and related and sat to watch together! Please bring it back!!