13 Reasons Why Season 2

13 Reasons Why: Does the Stellar Netflix Drama Really Need a Second Season?

Warning: This article spoils the season finale of 13 Reasons Why. If you haven’t finished “Tape 7, Side A,” get thee to a TV — or whatever device you’re reading this on — and binge!

As far as teen dramas go, Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why is a damn masterpiece. In fact, I’d argue that the powerful series — adapted from Jay Asher’s 2007 novel about a teenage girl who leaves behind a series of audio tapes detailing the events (and people) that led her to commit suicide — transcends the genre, bolstered by powerhouse performances from an ensemble peppered with TV veterans and fresh new talent.

The Selena Gomez-produced series is also an unequivocal hit, garnering rave reviews from critics and millions of tweets from obsessed fans, so it should come as no surprise to hear that the streaming giant is close to renewing 13 Reasons Why for a second season. But here’s my question for the group: Why can’t we just let Hannah Baker rest in peace?

Hannah’s story may not have had a happy ending, but it did have an ending. She spoke her truth, and we listened — for 12 commercial-free hours. (I could go on for days about how Clay should have just locked himself in his room and binged all 13 tapes at once. At the very least, he could have saved Tony a handful of “Keep listening!” speeches.)

Is there more story to be mined from this world for a potential second season? Of course there is. (For what it’s worth, we’ve compiled some of our burning questions in this gallery.) But 13 Reasons Why has always been Hannah’s story, and you can call me shortsighted, but I feel like a second season wouldn’t be possible without a monumental shift in tone.

Just because the season finale’s closing montage introduced a few new loose ends, that doesn’t mean we need another entire season with which to tie them up. Given the darkness and complexity of the world in which 13 Reasons Why dwells, I wouldn’t expect every problem to find a solution. I think it’s enough to conclude Hannah’s story with the understanding that these characters will continue to exist after they’re gone from our screens.

For what it’s worth, Asher is 100-percent down for a second season. He says he’s curious to see how Netflix might expand his novel, even though he admits to scrapping his own plans for a sequel years ago.

“I’d just like a continuation of all those characters,” he recently told EW. “What happens to Clay? How do people react to what Alex did at the very end? What’s going to happen to Mr. Porter? I’d thought of a sequel at some point. I’d brainstormed it, but decided I wasn’t going to write it. So I’d love to see it.”

As we saw in 13 Reasons Why, humans have a habit of destroying beautiful things, especially when they start to feel entitled. Do we really want to do that to this gem of a show? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with your *ahem* reasons why.

1. MissEllys says:

I feel like the impact will be diminished if it goes on. It will just become another teen soap.

• Jay says:

exactly!

• Tv viewer says:

I feel it’s a good way to show what happens. As cruel as it may sound: just because Hannah is dead, doesn’t mean the rest of them are. Her impact will diminish, her parents are moving on, Clay already pursues a different connection and even the reason a classmate shot himself has nothing to do with her.

To remove herself from the equation did not remove anyone else. And I feel that aspect needs to be explored in order to have the whole picture.

• Amanda Thompson-St Pierre says:

That is so right.

• Mark says:

Damn straight there is such a thing as too much of a great thing and with this it would be ruined if it continued.The story was in the fact that we got to see what happened to the main character and the impact it had — going beyond that would spoil the impact of her story. and the tapes. Leave alone.

• Sheldon Wiebe says:

What she said!

• Pumpkin says:

It should be a season 2 if they didn’t want to make more season’s then they should’ve made it a movie. I vote season 2

2. John036 says:

no it does not

3. MrMank says:

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. There are reasons to support both. Maybe it’s a mistake. But I will say one thing for certain…if it happens, I will watch.

4. ScottJ says:

I’d be okay with a short 6 or 8 episode season to tidy up all the loose ends. It can’t be called 13 Reasons though.

5. Ann says:

There was no option for “No. The first season was not good,” so I’ll put my vote here. The first season was a mess and all over the place with the writing. The plot was good, but it didn’t make sense, cohesively. Why in the world did it take that boy so long to listen to essentially 13 hours of tape (tape sides aren’t usually any longer than 90 minutes)? Why did he keep asking people “what’s on my tape?” when all he needed to do was freakin’ sit down and listen to that dang thing! Why did Hannah continue to hang out with those kids she blackmailed for supposedly bullying her (she even got into a hot tub with them!!!)? Yes, she blackmailed them when she created those tapes and forced them to follow her instructions…or else…UGH!

• Fabrizia says:

Agree I thought it was full of cliquès and made suicide cool for teens.

• Angie says:

Not only did I hate the message that suicide is a great way to get revenge, but the way the story was told was horrible, too. Clay and Tony’s numerous ridiculous “what’s my tape say?” “you have to listen!” conversations aside, all the “false leads” of Clay lashing out, giving Olivia the tapes, etc just to be a fake out was cliche and frustrating.

Not to mention, the only character that was not entirely insufferable was Clay’s dad.

• Taylor says:

YES THANK YOU

6. Julie says:

Couldn’t they do a two hour special on some of the cliffhangers left in the end?

• Jimmy says:

This is my hope. I think a second season would be too much, because then it essentially becomes a teen soap like Degrassi. I think a 2-hour special, similar to the one Scream did after the end of season 2, is what’s most appropriate.

• Pumpkin says:

Agree

7. kate says:

It doesn’t need it but I could see it dealing with the other big issue that it introduced at the end that has usually as many questions as suicide does and no real good answers and that is school shootings. I mean, no one has to die or if they do, its effect could be felt more because Clay set out on a mission there at the end and maybe he succeeded. But my idea has been a take off of what Big Little Lies did, only we are in that after math where parents are arriving, ambulances are sitting around and we start every episode there, after the shooting and everything is safe, and we focus in on our 13 (12, I suppose) and then tell how they were effected by Hannah up to the shooting. It likely has to cover a long time (and the show could do the OA trick of having various length episodes, like Clay’s will be long because he will meet with the Bakers and explain everything to his parents) and finding out what Justin’s plans are might take awhile, but, like Shari probably not super necessary, neither are Courtney or a couple others unless they play a role.

8. Jimmy says:

Personally, I don’t think the show NEEDS a second season. The main story was wrapped up at the end, and even though there were some dark things that happened in the finale, it ended on an ambiguous note with Clay, Tony, Brad and Skye driving off down the road and Clay saying he doesn’t know what comes next. The ambiguity of it is part of the show’s charm, and for me, it was oddly satisfying having such a definitive resolution to Hannah’s story but leaving all the other stories open to the imagination.
    So in that regard, I would like it to be one-and-done. But if there were a second season, I think everyone behind it, including Jay Asher, wouldn’t compromise on the quality and integrity of the first season and have it dwindle down into nonsense. The first season was masterfully done, in my opinion, and I think everyone behind the creative process of the show would make sure the second season is just as strong.
    As well, I think there’s enough material available to mine a second season. The gallery above showcases 11 burning questions, and I’m sure Asher also has his own ideas that he could guide the writers with, because he did start a sequel. So I think it’s definitely possible, I just don’t see how the show would continue to incorporate Hannah into the mix considering the truth about the tapes is out.
    And 13 reasons why without Hannah seems so… empty. The first season already had that feeling to it, as if there was a dark cloud looming over every scene because we knew from the beginning what her fate would be. But having seen it now, and knowing there aren’t anymore tapes, the only way we would continue to see her is through flashbacks. And since half the first season was driven by flashbacks, having more seems overly gimmicky and unnecessary. How many more things could have happened that we don’t know about?
    So, there are a lot of arguments for and against a second season. But if it does get made, I will watch, mainly because of the quality of the first season and to finally see Bryce get what’s coming to him.

9. Anthony says:

If they do another season, it should be a whole New cast, and a whole different Scenario from what took place

10. jj says:

It doesn’t even need the 1st season.

11. Cindy says:

I most definitely would watch a season 2 as I feel this was an excellent story about consequences. I would love to know the answers to the great questions and think this story could be based on Tyler’s bullying. Here is another teen with no friends and constant ridicule. We already know he has a gun and pictures of teens who have slighted him. I applaud Selena Gomez’s producer skills. Girls got genius!!!!

12. SaucySaliah says:

I think it would be awesome if they just made a 2nd season to represent the fact that Alex might have made tapes before his death just like Hannah did. It would be a shock to everyone and would keep people intrigued. After that though, another season wouldn’t be needed.

13. Mika says:

I thought it was as clear as day that Season 2 would focus on another 13 Reasons; that of a school shooting, that the photographer was planning, with his trunk filled with guns and his list of 13 persons as photos on his darkroom. So… no need for Hannah to even appear, though maybe they’ll keep the actress on for one episode, her episode, her part in the reasons for the school shooting.

14. Maahem says:

It is unnecessary. Leave it where it ended.

15. David Graf says:

If one person is inclined to take their life through watching this show, then it doesn’t make any difference how good the ratings or how great the performances. I find it appalling that this was put on tv.

16. Jess says:

I agree with the comments that it could have a shorter second season. I’m fine with how it ended. There are few things that could be wrapped up because people want to see certain characters deal with the fallout of the final episode. There is a lot to explore so there has to be a clear limit so it doesn’t just go on and on. I think more flashbacks would be good and seeing more of other people’s perspectives besides Clay and Hannah.

17. Brent says:

I’m torn on this, honestly. Part of me thinks the story is done and a second season cheapens it. Then I think about these characters (and the incredible cast who played them) and I want to see them more. All of that to say…I have no idea if there should be a second season.

18. Ben says:

If it is done properly I say go for it. As long as they don’t cheapen the intended story. The author of the novel wants more episodes, and I trust his judgement more than anybody else who is a reader/viewer. He has faith and so do I. There are so many important issues relating to teenagers that can be explored in this series. Before I watched the ending I was against more episodes, but now that I’ve seen the ending and how there are so many more stories to be told I am all for it.

19. Ricardo says:

The show doesn’t need a second season but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to know what happened. Did the Bakers win the Lawsuit? What happened to the Asshat Mr. Porter for being the worst counselor in history? Did Alex Survive? What Happened to Jessica when she told her Dad? What was Tyler going to do with all those guns? Did they prosecute the rape? What Happened to Justin? Do we need the answers? No. Would we like them. Abso-Freakin-luteley!!!!

20. Mike D says:

Given the strength of the ensemble, I would love a second season, but an anthology type setup instead.

Otherwise, I think the point of this first season is lost. Trying to stretch out plot points is unrealistic – how many horrible things can happen at one high school to a set group of students?

21. TvLover says:

No. Not every show needs another season, spinoff, or remake.
    This show especially. It was hard to watch which was in fact the point because it was about teen suicide. So I think that it diminishes the point of the show if they make another season.
    I never felt that there were gaping plot holes and I would like to hope that if there were a second season, which there doesn’t need to be. That it not be about suicide.

22. Wooster182 says:

In my opinion, this was not a masterpiece. The dialogue was so clawing and the storyline drug out so much to make it last 13 episodes that I had to fast forward through a great deal of it just to make it to the end and I had figured out within the first 15 minutes of the first episode that she killed herself because she got raped.

Veronica Mars is a masterpiece that transcends the genre. This was gratuitous to go viral. If any teen show is having a moment right now creatively, it’s Riverdale. It tells a much more compelling story about sexual harassment, morality, and mental health while actually being entertaining and decently written.

23. Kira says:

The only way I’d be interested in another season is if it was another box of tapes and a new cast.

24. Shay says:

I have mixed feelings about a second season….I feel like I spent all these hours watching an I didn’t get a resolution…. what are Hannah’s parents reactions… what happens to Alex…wat is Tyler going to do with all those guns…what does mr porter do with the tapes…does Bryce get what’s coming to him… what happens with Jess…I feel it’s unfair to take the journey through their lives without getting a conclusion. Yeah their lives continue but I feel like key points should be resolved. On the other hand… if the shows about Hannah….how will you get away with and formulate a story w/out her?

25. ness says:

A 2nd season is needed, this time hannah lives, 2nd season will be about a what if happy ending

26. DJ DJ says:

Of course people would say yes to a 2nd season..the fact is, if it’s good then we approve, if it’s bad then all hell breaks loose on the ‘they should have left it alone’ remarks

27. Patricia says:

I feel like a second season would work, but not with the focus being hannah baker… The photographer kid had a case full of guns… maybe 13 reasons why he shoots up the school? Hanna should rest in peace, but it seems like there are so many other 13 reasons they could dream up.

28. LaDonna says:

“13 Reasons Why has always been Hannah’s story”….yes, exactly this. It’s Hannah’s story. There’s really no way to continue into a second season with it still being Hannah’s story. Her story is over. And much like life, the stories of her friends and family will go on, for good or bad. But to tell their stories isn’t “13 Reasons Why” anymore. No, second season necessary.

29. Mike says:

Of course Asher doesn’t mind a second season. I’m sure he’s getting paid.

30. A fan of TV says:

Epic adventures and soaps are Billy to go on. Introspective character pieces are not, generally, and it’s cease to even consider stretching the commercialism of the subject matter beyond the story as told, IMO.
    My novel suggestion is to mine a different book for a new idea, or to write a new idea from scratch.

31. I was torn between wanting a second season or not and I chose not to have one. The story was about Hannah and, with her gone, it would not be the same.

32. Derrick Harp says:

This is such a bad idea.

33. Asher says:

I am totally torn…
    I guess it will depend on if they can come up with a good story, but the risk of ruining it is too high…

34. Asher says:

They should call it something else, or make it a spin off show

35. Asher says:

I want clay to come up 13 reasons to live

36. Tamashaney says:

they should, cause I’m dying to know how Mr.Porter and Hannah’s parents reacted to the tapes and what they’ll do with them. keep or police ?

37. Pumpkin says:

Season 2 YES !!!! We want to see Hannah parents get justice and Bryce pay for what he did.Mr Porter?Did Alex making?What Tyler going to do with the trunk of gun (school shooting)? So much unfinished? Will Tyler actions spark a season 3? Millions of us fans wants to know and love the show!!!