Fox's Pitch Cancelled After One Season

Here’s some foul news for Pitch fans: Fox has cancelled the baseball drama.

Executive producer Kevin Falls tweeted the news on Monday evening:

Star Kylie Bunbury reacted to the cancellation on Instagram, noting that her “heart is heavy.”

Cast member Dan Lauria, who played Padres manager Al Luongo, also shared his thoughts on Facebook.

“Fox, in their infinite, but not so wise wisdom, has decided to cancel Pitch,” Lauria wrote. “I knew the longer they took the less chance we had but I did have renewed hope when Thursday Night Football had been canceled. We would have done better without even having a new time slot. Excuse me, I’m being logical.”

Lauria went on to describe the show as “a great experience” with “one of the best writing staffs I ever worked with. Our cast was the most professional I ever worked with, not a headache in the bunch. Our staff and crew, the best.”

The series, which began by following the first female Major League Baseball pitcher through her rookie season, won critical acclaim when it premiered in 2016 but struggled to achieve homerun ratings: It averaged barely 3 million viewers and an 0.8 rating, but still did better than Sleepy Hollow, The Exorcist and Scream Queens.

Are you disappointed Pitch won’t be batting for another season?

1. A. D. says:

This sucks…another good show FOX cancels!

• Horus says:

Shows get cancelled because they are not being watched. Pitch had a 0.83 L7 demo, which means the C3 was even lower. I liked the show, and I am sad to see it go, but I am not going to blame the network when it was a lack of fans that caused the cancellation.

• Nicole says:

FOX didn’t even try to promote the show. How can it be watched if people don’t know anything about it? I didn’t know the show was a thing until I saw it on Hulu. I watched it, fell in love, and tuned in every week.

• John036 says:

oh please fox promoted the heck out of this show

• Fabrizia says:

HEAR HEAR Fox did the right thing, there just wasn’t enought interest among baseball fans for what was essentially a soapy drama. Pitch tried to be too many things at once and ended up not having an identity at all, which is a necessity on network tv. It could have worked on TNT/another basic cable with some adjustment, but it looked crazy expensive too.

• rinaex says:

I saw plenty of promotion for this, along with great reviews from a lot of mainstream entertainment sites. It appears that baseball just wasn’t the hook to draw people into a drama.

• kmw says:

After FOX’S initial promotional push they didn’t push them any more and they most certainly didn’t when the World Series was on. FOX pushed Bones back to put it near baseball and then what? next to Rosewood where that was never going to help it. No FOX didn’t love this show and didn’t care enough about it to put it on a better night and lead in

• Katherine215 says:

I watched every World Series game (Cubs fan) and there was maybe two commercials for a baseball show airing on their own network, that mlb even sponsored! So disappointing.

• ? says:

I laughed, because this was Fox’s most promoted Fall show. Anyway, it was a great idea for a series that just never breathed on its own. It never found a vitality and never felt like anything other than a “carefully calculated show by committee.” Also, the lead actress just didn’t have enough charisma to carry a show. Mark Paul Gosselaar pushed her off the screen entirely whenever he came on. Ah well. No great loss.

• Patty says:

I think it’s a shame pitch won’t be back, I enjoyed the show . M synergy another network will pick it up.
          I just hate when networks cancel shows and leave us fans hanging, wondering what happened, I usually stop watching that network when this happens. Good luck to all the characters I thought you did a excellent job, hope to watch you all soon.

• lawgroupcomm says:

agree 100% …. love this show and am very disappointed!!!

• Horus says:

There was a lot of promotion. If you did not see it that only means that you probably do not watch a lot of FOX except for specific shows. I live in Chicago and FOX was even promoting Pitch on the CW; as the CW station in Chicago is owned by FOX. They can only advertise so much to get people to watch the show at that point the fans either like it or not. The show only had 10 episodes and the viewership decreased each episode. It was a good show, but it was just out at the wrong time and could not get an audience.

• Jimmy says:

Yes I agree this show was promoted by Fox. It was cancelled strictly due to ratings and Fox is not to blame. It just didn’t get the viewers.

• Thithya says:

I live in Denmark and even I saw a lot of promotion videos and articles for this show.

2. shannon says:

Nooooooo! I mean, I sort of knew it was coming after all of this time. But I’m still super bummed. This was a great show that.

3. LADY_in_MD says:

Noooooo!! 😫😫😫

4. TvPeong says:

Oh no!!!

5. JD says:

That’s really disappointing news.

6. Linda says:

Dang it!

7. Liz says:

So bummed by this. Pitch was such a good show! Too bad Fox didn’t take the time to nurture it.

• John036 says:

they aren’t going to give time to nurture a show which was expensive (probably) in the first place, as well as when it’s struggling in ratings

8. cruisemama98 says:

Crap!!!

9. Sarah says:

That really sucks! I loved this show and really was looking forward to Baker and Lawson’s relationship!!!

10. CourtTV says:

Very disappointed

11. webly3 says:

Interesting how the cancellation announcement is announced now. I’m sad that this show never found an audience, but I’m definitely not surprised.

12. NitiMay says:

Such a promising show and an outstanding leading lady!

13. AB says:

The fact that it did better than Sleepy Hollow, The Exorcist and Scream Queens doesn’t really mean much. All those three are also getting canceled (and Rosewood is as well).

This was a decent show but the numbers started pretty bad and the writing was on the wall.

14. Tiffany says:

That’s really heartbreaking! Pitch was the best new show that came out last year! Fox is stupid!

15. Bobbi says:

I am so disappointed that Pitch has been canceled. I really enjoyed the show and the ensemble. Really a shame.

16. Sugarboy says:

Pitch was a good show and I’m sorry to hear this. The characters actually had some.

17. Evelyn Franklin says:

I am really disappointed. I enjoyed PITCH very much. That was one show I could watch with my grandkids and not have to worry about the language and sex scenes.

18. Jill says:

NOOO!!!!! The only new show I cared about being renewed. I’m so sad.

19. Dominique says:

this is an absolute terrible decision. FOX never bothered to properly promote this show, they quickly shoved it in a different slot when they thought they could benefit from scandal’s absence from the fall line-up (again; they hardly promoted).
    and now they cancel it. a shame FOX doesn’t recognize potential even when it’s kicking them in the a$$. i wholeheratedly hope another network will pick it up. wouldn’t be the first time.

• Bill says:

They promoted it very heavily. I only watch two shows on FOX and there were always commercials, plenty of billboards here in NYC and a few ads in TV Guide and EW. What else could they have done?

• Mara says:

Worked with MLB, who were willing and a targeted marketing campaign, not just a few billboards. Also, give it time to grow. Less and less reason to watch Fox given they cancel their quality scripted shows.

• Wendy says:

The expense probably made time not feasible. But it was promoted heavily. And baseball may be the “National Pastime”, but I think once can argue that football has become more popular, so maybe the baseball theme didn’t garner enough interest.

20. Riana says:

So this means Veronica has a dad.

21. girlieq24 says:

Dammit! I really liked this show. Booooo, FOX!

22. Becky says:

No!!!! Say it isn’t so!! I thought this was a great show! I’m hoping Mark Paul Gosselear gets picked up on a different series! It was great to see him back on tv!

• ameraleigh says:

I’m bummed this got cancelled too, I really enjoyed it and I’ve been a huge fan of MPG since Franklin and Bash, I hope he gets another show quickly.

• Tasha says:

LMAO I am such a silly person. I NEVER even had an clue that that was Bash. I am so kicking myself. I guess the beard makes a lot of difference. wow

23. Billy meacham says:

Please fox renew Gotham and the exorcist!!!

24. fernando933 says:

So dumb, Fox could have save this and paired it with Empire. It was loved by critics and had a small but loyal fan base with more promotion, a better time slot, and on Netflix it could have gain those viewers it needed

25. Dwane says:

Disappointed.

26. Amy Harrison says:

One of the best you suck cancelling it get a life

27. Anne says:

Sigh. I will miss it. I don’t care about sports or baseball, yet I loved this show

28. Dot says:

Not gonna lie, having a lot of F@#! YOU feelings towards Fox right now.

29. kmw says:

Too bad that FOX couldn’t or wouldn’t give this show the time( or the time slot) it deserved. When you about what FOX is probably going to renew( Rosewood?) cancelling Pitch proves what a bunch of morons the people at FOX are.Pitch should have been paired with Empire, should have been promoted during World Series, and most certainly shouldn’t have been paired with Rosewood. What a shame This show was wasted on FOX :(

30. Rebecca says:

So disappointed!! My husband and I loved this show! Mark Paul Gosselar was outstanding- I would have tuned in for a second season with just him!

• ninergrl6 says:

Same. He’s why I tuned in in the first place, but I instantly fell in love with so many characters. Great ensemble.

31. Mike Jones says:

Fox proves once again shows they don’t how to handle publicity on a quality show. Thank goodness they passed on This Is Us which is from the same creator of Pitch.

Pitch was a quality show and typical Fox provided very little support in terms of publicity and marketing. The publicity was awful who even knew what night it was on? The promos were horrible as well.

32. Stacey says:

So disappointing, it is such a great show. I will really miss it :(

33. Alan Goldberg says:

This is a bad decision. Perhaps MLB network or Lifetime would be interested in picking it up. It is a female-focused show as well as a MLB focused show.

• Ally Oop says:

I think that’s part of the problem. Pitch was promoted as a baseball show but from what I’ve seen of many of the comments, a lot of the viewers that actually liked the show aren’t baseball fans. And unfortunately, many male baseball fans didn’t like the premise of the show. I loved Pitch but find baseball boring. I liked the show for the characters and the pairings.

• Ann says:

This is exactly on point. FOX had a great show on their hands. They didn’t know how to promote it. It shouldn’t have been promoted as a baseball show for baseball fans only. It should have been promoted more of an powerful, uplifting show about a girl achieving her dreams (this is how they promoted that terrible show, Star, which I think they renewed).

34. kath says:

Women loved the show because it showed a strong female character.
    I’m not surprised it got cancelled.

35. Patty says:

Devi stated about the show being canceled never fails every time they get a good sure they cancel it .

36. ninergrl6 says:

Sad. Really enjoyed this show despite the fact that I hate baseball. Go figure.

37. L.S. says:

Another brilliant show gone too soon. I pray Netflix or Hulu pick it up.

38. Katherine215 says:

I’m so, so disappointed. One of my favorites and such a good, quality show. Congratulations, American TV watchers, you really do suck.

39. Norkir says:

Noooooo!! I’m so sad. I really enjoyed watching. I’m a big baseball fan so maybe that’s why I liked it so much. 😔

• Kimberly A Stare says:

Agree. First good show about baseball! Was so excited to follow it. Not to mention great casting!!! So sad.

40. Kimberly A Stare says:

Really bad choice by FOX to cancel. This was a show that had great potential. So many story lines could have been created and all the while keeping it interesting. Very disappointed. UGH frustrating!!

41. Annie says:

Not surprised, but still bummed. :(

42. lisa says:

Noooooooo!!! I love this show. I wonder if it would have had a better shot if it had more episodes, what itd have 10?

43. Judson says:

I enjoyed the first season, but really that was enough.

44. Mary says:

Sad. Enjoyed it.

45. c-mo says:

Not to be overly dramatic or anything but this was the last show I watched on FOX once Bones ended so, goodbye FOX, your advertisers will have to find other ways to get my money. I’m so thankful for Netflix and other streaming services so I can watch reruns of shows that I’ve already enjoyed and won’t have to be gutted every time a network decides that my disposable income doesn’t matter.

46. Angelfan says:

Sad, interesting and well written, even if you’re not a big baseball fan

47. Jason says:

If they had moved a second season into a time when baseball was actually on, perhaps it would have improved in the ratings. But if there is one thing I can count on fox for, it’s to cancel great shows after one season, just because the ratings weren’t great. If they had always played by that rule, X-Files wouldn’t have lasted.

48. LoveUKylie says:

This sucks, I’m beyond ticked off. Fox is run by nitwits… It’s all FOX’s fault…horrible scheduling…placing it behind a failing dud of a show on a Thursday night going up against football. This show was great but ever got a chance.

49. trista says:

WTF!? That was a great show!