Sweet/Vicious

Sweet/Vicious Cancelled by MTV; Series Creator Thanks Fans for Support

This is some bittersweet news (well, mostly bitter): MTV has cancelled Sweet/Vicious after one season.

The news of the cancellation came directly from the show’s creator Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, who tweeted out a heartfelt note to fans on Friday, thanking them for their support and promising to “NEVER stop fighting to tell stories that matter”:

The MTV drama starred Eliza Bennett and Taylor Dearden as Jules and Ophelia, a pair of female college students who become vigilantes, exacting revenge on men who’ve committed sexual assault on campus. Its ten-episode freshman season debuted in November to universally strong reviews; we here at TVLine even cited it as a “Peak TV Treasure.” But meager ratings — just 180,000 viewers tuned in for the January 24 finale — apparently sealed its fate.

“MTV has decided to not move forward with a second season of Sweet/Vicious. We are extremely proud of this critically acclaimed series and are deeply disappointed such an impactful show did not find a larger audience,” the network said in a statement. “Sweet/Vicious was a show we loved from the start, with empowering female leads and a message we believe in. We are grateful the series started a much needed dialogue around sexual assault, and thank the talented Jennifer Robinson, Amanda Lasher, Stacey Sher and the stellar cast, writers and producers for creating such a timely and thought-provoking series.”

Will you miss Sweet/Vicious? Hit the comments to share your thoughts.

1. Shame, was a great show!!!

2. Suso says:

Cliffhangers or closure?

3. Casey says:

I haven’t watched the show – have only heard a lot about it – but it seems like it could be a good thematic fit for streaming services. Perhaps not right for cable, but better for the more diversified and less-binding streaming space. I’m not sure if they are shopping it around for other interest, but for the fans’ sakes, I hope so!

4. Tatiana says:

Bummer. I really liked the show, and was excited to see where it went in Season 2. At least we got an awesome one season!

5. Thithya says:

This is just crap. It was really great show with an amazing leads especially Eliza Bennett. I loved the scene where she confronted Nate.
    Maybe if had been on another network it would’ve had chance.

6. Antwon303 says:

Dang! Yet Teen Mom and Are You the One lives on? It was a good show. I found it very entertaining. The scene where she confronted her rapist was pretty powerful. Oh well.

7. Michelle says:

Big mistake by MTV. This show was very important in regards to showing sexual assault, the aftermath, and the overcoming of it. Such a shame. We need important shows like this on tv. Hope they can find a new home.

8. Amber says:

Maybe Mtv should just announce their getting out of the scripted tv game and become an all reality show channel. That’s all it is at this point anyway.

• Amber says:

They’re

• Casey says:

The fact that they should dozens of hours of Friends reruns every week just blows my mind. Obviously nothing wrong with that show, but relying so much on that content (granted not in prime time hours) and stupid reality prime time shows are just more nails in the coffin. Maybe they air what they do because they get ratings, but as a brand, MTV is just ridiculous now.

9. Anne says:

UGGGGGH I LOVE THIS SHOW

10. Mac says:

…and now I’m kicking myself because this is the first I’m actually hearing of the premise. I definitely would have watched! What a bummer.

Was this not advertised well or have I been living under a rock?

• Becca says:

It definitely wasn’t advertised. Honestly MTV never really gave it a shot which is a shame because it was a great show with some really compelling storylines and great performances. In one of the first episodes the two leads bond while belting Defying Gravity and running from some illegal circumstances.

• Mac says:

Damn. That does sound really good. I guess I could always watch the season anyway now that I know, but I wish I could have supported it.

11. JJ says:

Since Viacom is the most backward company when it comes to streaming, maybe they need to get out of the business of creating shows geared toward a generation that streams.

12. Pure says:

I loved the theme of female empowerment but when Ophelia, in order to get into her mom’s sorority, had to do push-ups over a plate piled with human feces, that when I realized Sweet/Vicious and I had to part ways.

13. Karen says:

This is really disappointing. I loved this show and recommended it to so many people. I am frustrated with MTV for not giving this gem of a show a chance. It was critically acclaimed with amazing performances and completely deserved a second season. If it were on Netflix or the CW, it would for sure get another season.

14. T.W.S.S. says:

Well, I’ll definitely check this out now. I love watching one-season shows. I’ve found gems, like Hindsight, that I probably wouldn’t have watched if they had gone on for multiple seasons.

15. Jared says:

It’s hard to justify a renewal with those ratings regardless of how great a series is. I read someone Hit The Floor got renewed and will now air on BET?..any truth to that?

16. datdudemurphy says:

Oh look….MTV cancelled another show.
    It’s just not worth it to tune in to their shows.

17. Tweek'd says:

mtv’s digging their own grave. keeping stupid shows like “teen mom og” and “are you the one?”, while getting rid of “finding carter” and “sweet/vicious” both on cliffhangers.

18. TV Gord says:

This show seems tailor-made for Netflix. Let’s make that happen!

19. Kristin says:

So disappointed! I really thought that this was a really good show. Seems like MTV is cutting all the good shows like Finding Carter, Teenwolf, now this. But want to keep shows like Teen Mom. I think these were some pretty bad choices. Just my opinion.

20. Nadine says:

I am so disappointed to find out Sweet/Vicious has been cancelled. It was such an awesome show with such an important message. Please bring it back or at least release season 2 on DVD. PRETTY PLEASE!

21. Mindy Josefina says:

Ok MTV you need to get your priorities straight. You are canceling a show about women who are fighting for what’s right and helping girls who have been traumatized by sex crazed men, yet you’re keeping a show that glorifies slutty sex crazed teenage girls getting knocked up in high school by their deadbeat baby daddy’s……where is your logic at?

22. U C says:

So good! So sad

23. Shaunie says:

I think this was a meaningful show unlike the dating shows they have on there. Smh MTV continues to disappoint me

24. I loved the show. I wish and was looking forward to another season but now I’m disappointed that it is ending. I believe if the show was given another chance by running a second season it would catch on and create more viewers . I was not given enough advertising to let people know it was on tv bc of that it wasnt given a fair shake if there was more
    knowledge out there about the show so more people knew about it the ratings would sore but now we will never know that. Maybe an other network could pick it up with the same cast and we will have a second chance

25. Irene Jimenez says:

That’s just stupid it got cancelled it was one of the beat shows that have been on MTV it shouldn’t have been cancelled they even left us on a cliff hanger

26. Iyonna says:

I’ve been waiting and waiting to hear about the season 2 of sweet vicious. I go into google and found that the show was cancelled. My heart is broken; the show was a hit to me and was meaningful. I think it should be aired again with a second season and to regained its respect. Please bring it back to life MTV!!

27. XeX_Noob says: