Scandal Ending Season 7

Scandal Needs to End With Season 7

My fellow Gladiators, we need to talk.

When Scandal premiered on ABC in the spring of 2012, it was electrifying. Half-procedural, half-political thriller — and all-dramatic soapy goodness — it was a fresh addition to the television landscape. On that much, we can all agree.

At the risk of sounding like a romance novel come to life, there were countless moments throughout the series’ first few seasons that left me breathless. Fitz getting shot in Season 2? Breathless. Queen Sally Langston bludgeoning her husband to death in Season 3? Breathless. Olivia getting “kidnapped” in Season 4? Breath… look, I think you know where this is going.

But after more than 100 episodes, this once-great drama is simply spinning its wheels, serving us the same old flavors with only slightly different toppings. (Like, you can call them “jimmies,” but we all know they’re sprinkles.)

Seriously, how many more mysterious organizations (à la B613) must OPA overcome? How much longer will it take for Olivia and Fitz, still one of television’s more problematic pairings, to finally settle on a definition of their relationship? And how many near-death experiences can Rowan have before he just. finally. dies?

So here’s my point: As a fan of this show, I need its upcoming seventh season to be its last. If I’m being real — and I think this is a #safespace to do so — I actually believe that, had the show not already been renewed, the current sixth season would mark the perfect end. Not only are Olivia & Co. presently battling the toughest enemy they’ve ever faced, but wouldn’t it be poetic for the series to conclude just as it began, with Olivia getting the next president into the Oval Office — this time (mostly) on merit?

Unlike Grey’s Anatomy — which functions like grown-up Degrassi, with a revolving door of characters in a stable setting, allowing it to continue forever — Scandal has a considerably shorter shelf life. Series creator Shonda Rhimes has said as much, calling it a “different kind of show” during a 2013 interview with NPR.

“I feel like there is a finite amount of Scandal to be told,” she said. “So I know what the end of Scandal will be, and I feel really good about that. And I can see where the end point is. And I don’t think I’m going to change that. … I know how long I think it will be. But we’ll see.”

In a subsequent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Rhimes spoke in numbers, saying that, “the Fitz-Liv thing can only be told so long and in such a way. It’s not a 10-season or eight-season show.”

I’m no math whiz — just ask any number of traumatized teachers from my schoolboy days — but given Rhimes’ own words, it sounds like the end is nigh. And at this point, that’s something we should all be able to handle.

Where do you stand on Scandal‘s eventual end? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts.

1. Adam says:

ABC can’t afford to have scandal end. Also, in a day and age when ratings are in a race to the bottom, Scandal’s aren’t terrible. What it needs is an edit and a refocus on its origins. Please tptb, refocus the gladiators and move forward.

• cp1945 says:

They have already botched this by making Liv Mellie’s chief of staff. The Gladiators are not so fierce without her leadership.

• bigdede says:

I so agree. Making Liv the Chief of Staff really puts the nail in the coffin for this show. This show is suppose to be about gladiators fixing problems. That is/was the core of the show. When Abby left, that kind of muddled the show but now there’s nothing. No gladiator family. No white hat.

• I will be surprised and shock if the Scandal gets renewal for another season. I can’t wait to see how the writer fix the plot in the current season The show should go back to original plot where Olivia Pope was fixing her client various problem.

• I must agree with withAdam about Scandal ending. This season the show was all over the place and the fan can’t wait until the season finally end.I hope that I am wrong but I believe that ABC will renewal because the rating number will save this show.

• I must agree with Adam that ABC can’t afford to have Scandal end because it looks like ABC didn’t discover a new show that can replace it yet. The Catch is slowly taking forever to get the fan want to rush home to watch it.

• Scandal should return to the original format where she was helping a various client who got a major crisis in their life.

2. webly3 says:

Scandal really should end after season seven because Olivia and Fitz’s leading romance is getting old. However, a spin-off of the show could still be great with Mellie as president.

3. Daniel says:

You’ve kinda opened my eyes. I’ve realized that as much as I love Mellie, I don’t want to see anyone in the Oval except for Fitz. I would love for Season 7 to be the end and have it be a calmer season in which we see where all the characters will end up. (I legit could just watch a whole season of Olivia and Fitz in Vermont but I guess thats asking too much). That being said, Sadly due to ABC’s dire straights, I can honestly see them milking it till season 8 or 9.

4. MissEllys says:

I don’t know. There are people just starting to watch the show who have never watched it before…and they are liking it. They haven’t been through all the twists and uturns and godawful stuff we’ve endured to get to this better season.

5. David Hess says:

Scandal, Once Upon a Time and Last Man Standing were all from the 2011-2012 season and I think they all deserve a properly announced final season. So if ABC dosen’t formally announce season 7 of scandal as it’s last, then I think a season 8 would be necessary. Again, these shows deserve a PROPERLY ANNOUNCED final season, especially because of the wonders Scandal has done for this network.

• Andy Swift says:

I agree. I’m a big fan of properly announced final seasons.

• Adam says:

Honestly, I feel like network executives should just set rules on themselves to give series lasting more than 4-5 seasons an announced final season instead of just canceling, even if its abridged to a short season and burned off on Friday nights. It might do well ratings-wise for the time slot. There’s a lot of shows that I gave up watching cause they grew stale turning its wheels endlessly, but when announced it is ending I might tune back in to see that kind of momentum and how it finishes.

Also as streaming becomes increasingly popular, and networks start to own their own streaming channels, watching old shows is more accessible than before, and people are more likely to watch an old series that had a finale than one that was canceled, so giving a real ending can give future views/profits on their owned platforms. It’s just a good investment.

• Christy says:

This! Right here!! I can’t stand when shows go off without a proper end (looking at you Castle!!).
      There is just SO much to be said for planning a final season, marketing it that way and giving all of us who have invested many hours into a show a chance to say goodbye.

• iforgotmyusernameagain says:

I think we’re in a unique situation w/ Scandal b/c Shonda is the one who’ll decide when it’ll end so there’s no way it WON’T end properly and like she intended.

• The Rookie says:

But are they deserving ratings wise? OUAT is fractional and going downhill fast, and will be rebooted in season 7. For Scandal, Jake and Rowan + B613 destroyed the show. The wow factor was actually for the first two seasons. It should end next year

• David Hess says:

I think if ABC announces their 7th seasons as the last, the ratings really wouldn’t matter as much because they’d already be in the process of ending.

• Sally McLinn says:

Unfortunately ABC doesn’t have a lot of dramas. It has plenty of comedies, but lack dramas.

• Jimmy says:

I agree with the first two shows need to conclude, but I wouldn’t mind a few more seasons of LMS. It’s still funny!! But nearing the end of its life cycle.

• georgee says:

David you are talking ABC, did they give Castle a properly announced ending. If you think 30 seconds at the end was a proper ending, maybe Scandal will get a whole 60 seconds.

• David Hess says:

They gave Lost a proper final season, and no I don’t 30 seconds is a proper ending I just think ABC would be wise to give proper final seasons, especially to a long running Shonda show. They don’t want to tick her off.

6. I gave up after season 3.5… How many times can you watch, “she loves me, she loves me not” until you just. dont. care.

7. Cas says:

I wouldn’t be hurt if it ended next season. But I think the last few episodes have been great. Also, lets end Greys.

8. George says:

Crock of crap show. Was okay at one point but the writing is getting to be crap. Also, Grey’s needs to end NOW ! What a bunch of crap there. Shondra is done. No more of her crap on TV. End it ALL right now.

9. Art says:

Yes, season 7 should be the last and hopefully Olivia and Fitz will get their happy ending like the one in Olivia’s alternative universe.

• Artlady says:

IMO, I’d be shocked if there is a happy ending for the two adulterers, Fitz and Liv. They don’t deserve it. I think Shonda will kill off Fitz like she killed off Dr. Mc Dreamy in Grey’s Anatomy.

10. The Fitz/Olivia relationship was always my least favorite part of the show. I loved the wild cases and crazy turns and OPA winning the day for its clients. I still watch, but it’s not appointment TV for me anymore. I missed the first 20 minutes last night, and I’m not sure if I want to go check it out through ABC On Demand.

• Debbie says:

I agree :)

• Artlady says:

Agree with you. The Fitz-Olivia schtick was just a lot of selfish shagging. Ugh. I felt like shooting the two of them. And then Fitz has the hubris to be JEALOUS of the handsome lover Mellie had? Wasn’t he the VP? Fitz is a jerk

• bigdede says:

OMG YESSSSSS!!! I can’t believe Fitz had the nerve to be jealous of Andrew and Olivia actually broke up Andrew and Mellie for her lover!!! Andrew and Mellie were getting super popular so Shonda had to go and make Andrew (who was willing to fall on the sword for Mellie’s pill popping) a bad guy all of a sudden. It just came out of nowhere. I have always hated that Olivia did Fitz’s bidding and ruined Andrew/Mellie.

11. Brian says:

I agree with all of this. Even though I do think this season is better, at this point alot of the storylines are just going around in circles. The Papa Pope vs. his daughter Olivia storyline has just been so exhausting to watch. I normally love Joe Morton, but the writers really bungled his and the Mama Pope storyline.

12. After Season 5 i cut my ties to Scandel it lost it edge and started to be repetitive.

13. Annie Sisk says:

No argument here. I think it should have already ended, honestly. It’s just weird lately — so off-kilter, atonal, and … unbalanced? Yeah, that. Not the show we all fell in love with.

14. MsLiv says:

Something tells me that Olivia & Fitz are never going to have a happy ending…with many people speculating that Fitz is going to die at some point. If the show is to end I would prefer for Olivia to be single, moving away from Washington & seeking a different career path.
    Rowan should not die, not every villain gets to die. They can just throw him in jail, this time for good.
    But in saying that I kinda agree with this article, it’s time for the show to wrap up. There are many more stories to be told I’m sure, but in the form of a spin off show. I’d be love a spin off with Mellie, Marcus and maybe David Rosen…but definitely it is time to for the gladiators & Ms Pope to bow out gracefully.

• Artlady says:

Old Shonda will probably kill off Fitz like she killed off Dr. McDreamy in Grey’s Anatomy, a car wreck. She won’t kill off Olivia. But we know for sure, people are going to die. Major characters. There will be no SUNSET SKIES HAPPY ENDINGS for Liv, Fitz or Jake. I hope Quinn and Charlie do well. I hope Huck finds love. Abbey, Mellie and David, too. But not Olivia, Fitz or Rowan.

15. Jamie says:

I miss the case of the week, fixer format. Shadowy organization 2.0 is stupid. I kinda hate when people say shows jumped the shark, but this one did with Olivia being kidnapped. I still watch…but keep thinking I want fixer Olivia back. Love Scott Foley, but no more Jake. No more Roman. Back to OPA!

16. Hi, im from Congo. I started scandal when fans were waiting for season 3 to start. I was crazy in love with Olitz love. And I kept watching even when m’y heart wasnt in it like before but this season I am done. Rowan and B 613 are the main reason went down. Im Just tired of olivia Pope lines.

17. iHeart says:

I thought the show premiered in 2011

18. iforgotmyusernameagain says:

Like you, Andy, I thought season 6 was going to be its last before ABC gave it an early renewal. Mellie is one of Shonda’s favorite characters to write for so I had no doubt that she would have Mellie finally reach her goal of being POTUS. The end of Fitz’s presidency and Mellie’s inauguration would have been the perfect ending to the series. Now I’m left wondering: when in the Scandalverse timeline can they end it? Would it feel abrupt to end it in the middle of Mellie’s term? Will we have to go through 4 years of Mellie in office and then suffer through ANOTHER (re)election story line? I know there are many Mellie stans out there but I just have no interest in the going-ons of her WH.

19. Ann says:

I have a problem with Olivia and her daddy! He killed people for a living and should have been dead a long time ago and by Olivia’s hand! Now, she is his biggest cheerleader. What is that all about. And she is either with Fitz or she’s not, someone make up their mind already! Let’s give everyone a happy ending and kill them all, except for, naw just kill all of them!

20. Lisa Echerd says:

This was my favorite drama for so long and I still make time to watch it real time but I criticize it more than recommend it. It’s time for it to go. Presumably Season 7 will be a full season without any maternity leave so there is plenty of time to develop real stories. Let’s not invent anymore shadowy organizations. When they finally revealed who was behind Vargas’ death and it wasn’t one of the characters we had ever heard of before, I was reminded of science fictions. You can explain anything if the aliens come to earth and do it.

21. Ed says:

Maybe it should have ended with this election. That could have worked. Extending it another season will allow for a continued in depth pitting of all the characters against a common enemy. That has been worth, the at times weaker story line. Weaker in comparison to past years when Scandal was often as riveting as Blacklist or any other drama of its type. For me anyway. Wrap it up before the rest of us loose interest. That being, those who have not already decided the show has lost its edge.

22. Liz says:

It should end with Mellie becoming President in the right way.

23. Adrienne says:

Announce it as final season and the last scene of the show have them happy in Vermont with the Secret Service there but not prominently onscreen. The phone rings. Not now she says “I’ve got to get back to my muffins!”

24. NP20 says:

I know I’m the minority but I do miss when OPA had clients each week – I found those stories interesting and feel like that’s what’s been missing some.

25. Jared says:

I gave up on Scandal 2 seasons ago but considering the state of ABC dramas I’m sure the network is in no rush to get rid of one of the most highly rated social shows it currently has on the network.

26. Debbie says:

I completely agree. I liked it in the beginning where they had a case to solve -something to fix. With the Olivia & Fitz storyline weaving through it. They started losing me with the over the top clandestine agencies, kidnappings etc. It’s just too much.

27. Gus says:

I’ve been saying this ALL SEASON! YES! It feels like the story is coming to a logical good conclusion. END IT ALREADY!

28. Anna says:

I would love if BLUE Bloods brought back,Jacob Kystal (actor,
    Fred Weller) to hookup with Erin
    (Bridgette Monahan)

29. steph o says:

Shonda Rhimes said it herself a few years back that there is an ending to the series. All good things must come to an end. It’s a great show.

30. Julie G says:

Keep Scandal for as long as possible. I’m loving the storylines….

31. Linda says:

Why end something fun to watch. Don’t take it off.

32. Gregory says:

Actually have enjoyed this season, except for episode that featured Cyrus and his jailing. Agreed, the characters have been spread thin. Expanding the scope of the show or just getting back to the original concept of them “fixing” political snafu and misdeeds would be great. Every soap opera needs new characters to develop and blend into new storylines. Seems like Rhine has spread herself to thin developing new shows and not tending to her bread & butter ones.

33. Artlady says:

IMO, the current storyline (Ms Ruland and Mr. Payes/Peus) can be added to the 2017 Ridiculist. It’s almost Sci-Fi! It’s gory for shock value. I don’t like the current storyline. But I do like the interactions between our main characters…Liv, Fitz, Mellie, Abbey, Cyrus, Huck, Quinn, and Charlie. Even ole Rowan adds value to the show as the baddie. A believable baddie.

34. Isaburd says:

It’s a horrible program with no redeeming features. All the characters are moral vacuums, the writing ‘voice’ is one note for ALL of the characters and the performances – dear GOD! Put this dog out of its misery.

• Ed says:

Isaburd…If its such a dog, why the hell have you been wasting your time watching it? Yes, you are a bit full of it, for me. And even worse, you again waste your time, reading the comments and telling us how “It’s a horrible program”. Unless you are retired and have absolutely nothing better to do with your life, than to tell others how bad a show is, then something is a bit off about you. Anyone think your a bit nutty?

• Cooper says:

NEWFLASH: the freaking show is called Scandal. As I’ve stated on YouTube & Tumblr, take your holier than thou, sanctimonious, puritians, the ONLY ONES with moral values arse over to the Hallmark Channel & stay the hell off our blog since the show is so awful by YOUR standards.

35. Pearl says:

I will be shocked if this season doesn’t end with Fitz dying. Season 7 will be the aftermath & Olivia and co dealing with that death. That’s just how Shonda plays. People will be mad, and Shonda will require round the clock security.

36. Sophie says:

Let it go already. Olivia is no Gladiator anymore and it is time to end it. NOW!

37. Linda says:

I admit, I was confused somewhat this season, but I record it every week, n cant wait to watch it, which Im getting ready to go watch my recording right now.

38. Sunrise1111 says:

Worst show on TV. I’ve been holding on for a long time but Im done now. Will never watch another Shonda Rhimes show. I watch 5 minutes of greys anatomy and it was intolerable. I literallyfelt my brain dying. Someone please come along and antidote this woman.

39. meret says:

I thought this was the last seasn. Quit while you are ahead.

40. Zeivah says:

The seasons when Kerry Washington is pregnant are the worst…. there is something about hiding her pregnancy and not doing that olivia walk – hiding her baby bump – plus its a shorter season. I’d say give it one more year with the regular Olivia….

41. :-) says:

Lots of column space to make a point that Shonda made a while ago.

42. Kar says:

it should have already ended it. All the b613 ruined the show

43. Orielsanders says:

I love i need ot

44. Lauren says:

Olivia needs to go back to being a fixer. I found that aspect of the show much more interesting and entertaining.

45. Debbie says:

As much as I love Scandal, I hate to say this, but after this whole Peus thing played out I think the show has entered jumped the shark territory. I hope Shonda Rhimes ends the show before it becomes a complete shadow of its former self.

46. Addie Eleby says:

If Honda would put Liv and Fruit back together it would be real good.

47. Addie Eleby says:

If Sonda would put Liv and Fruit back together it would be real good.

48. MLD says:

Mellie as President could be fun, however the VP she chose this week was ludicrous and obvious. Tired of Papa Pope and his machinations and monologues. And if Olivia is Chief of Staff, what does her Scooby gang and Fitz do? Methinks the show will need some retooling in season 7.

49. Caroline says:

I loved the original premise of the show. I absolutely think the chemistry of Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn has been amazing. I don’t get was the need to create this other “crap” B382732, JokeChoke and now Peus. The kidnaping storyline was also awful. I also do NOT understand why they rushed 8 years of Fitz’s presidency. BIG mistake.

• Sally McLinn says:

These type of convoluted storylines simply means the writers have run out of ideas.

• Cooper says:

Caroline, the world still HAS NOT come to realize that some solutions are quit simple (as well as obvious) & EVERYTHING has indicated time & time & time AGAIN that Scandal needs to RETURN to what made it a household name in the first place. OP + OPA + OLITZ + WH = SUCCESS & it IS just that simple.

• “I also do NOT understand why they rushed 8 years of Fitz’s presidency. BIG mistake.”
      ONE of the biggest mistakes this show ever made. Fitz as the president was one of the best part of Scandal. Tony was absolute perfection in that role.