Scream Season 3

Scream Update: New Showrunner, EPs Announced Ahead of Season 3 Reboot

Scream is going to look completely different — both in front of and behind the camera — when the MTV drama returns for its third season.

In addition to a new cast and storyline, the network has announced that Brett Matthews (The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural) will serve as the series’ new showrunner. Queen Latifah, Shakim Conpere and Yaneley Arty are also joining as executive producers for Flavor Unit Entertainment.

Though MTV had initially planned on bringing Scream‘s original cast back for a shortened third season, the network shifted gears along the way, instead wrapping up those characters’ arcs in a two-hour Halloween special. (Though, for the record, plenty of loose ends remain untied — including whether or not that was really Brandon James who arrived in Lakewood during the special’s final moments.)

Dimension TV’s Harvey and Bob Weinstein will remain executive producers, along with Wes Craven, Tony DiSanto, Liz Gateley, Marianne Maddalena and Cathy Konrad.

Your thoughts on a whole new ScreamDrop ’em in a comment below.

1. I hate this!!! Bring Back the original cast please.

2. Ken says:

Extremely stupid to abandon the current storyline with its many unanswered questions and cliffhangers. Its bad business of MTV and the producers to think that by screwing the fans of the first two seasons, that they will miraculously get a bigger audience for a season 3. The fans have already been complaining on social media. This will tank hard and fast.

• Casey says:

Totally agree. They’re not missing out on a larger fanbase because the s1 and s2 attempts were poor efforts. (It’s not like they cast a bunch of untalented celebrity offspring – in a situation like that, I can clearly see how potential fans wouldn’t have watched that, but would try out a different version.) So who they do think will watch a revamped s3? All of the Scream fans who didn’t watch or like s1 or s2? The fans who were watching won’t come back, and there’s no way they’re picking up a new audience large enough to replace them.

3. Mike says:

So we aren’t getting a wrap up for the characters the past 2 seasons?! This is ridiculous! They should have had a better plan for the Halloween special if this is what they are doing for season 3.

4. Brandy says:

I actually really loved the original cast and don’t plan on checking this one out. Especially if it’s gonna end with no closure.

5. Steveo says:

Really disappointed that the old series’ storyline will not be completed.

Would have tuned into this if they gave the old show a wrap-up season or movie but as it is, I won’t be watching.

6. JCPrime1 says:

Since they didn’t wrap up the previous show, I refuse to watch this.

7. Phoenix says:

The second season of this show was really really good. This isn’t an anthology type of show. Not sure this is a good move.

8. aria808 says:

How can Wes Craven still be on board as EP when he dead?

9. datdudemurphy says:

If they wanted to go the route of new story/new cast every year, they could have done that at the beginning and it would have been fine….but they are essentially changing everything 2 years in. Pretty sure the audience wants closure for the cast/story they had been following.

However, MTV doesn’t do closure…see Faking It, Finding Carter, Eye Candy, etc, etc

10. Jo says:

Why would they do that? If they had wrapped up the story from the first cast then it would have been fine, but to leave it like they did and then start over? That is bull crap. Apparently I won’t be watching anymore because if they can’t wrap up the story from the first 2 seasons why would I believe that they won’t leave this on a cliffhanger as well? See ya MTV.

11. Kyle says:

I liked the cast too. However, it became apparent That Brooke, Emma, Audrey and Noah were invincible and would never be killed off (or be the killer) and for a show about serial killers, it’s really disappointing and predictable. Bring in a fresh new story each season (6 episodes is fine) one with characters that you feel can be truly killed off at any time.

• Casey says:

That’s not that different than the movies though – Scream 2 and 3 you were pretty sure that the killer was not going to be Sydney, nor would she get killed. Same with Dewie and Gale. In both of those, the killer was someone new to the franchise. The only real surprise was Billy in the first one. I don’t have a problem with them having indispensable characters, if it’s only a few. I mean they killed off Jake and made Kieran the killer even though they were pretty integral parts of the cast from season one.

I think this is a very bad move by MTV. Agree with a lot of other commentators here, that if this is what they wanted to do, it should have been done at the start of season 2 and made an anthology, or at the very least, they should have done a better job wrapping up the story in the Halloween special – which frankly felt pointless and not related to the storyline from seasons one and two at all. If they knew they were switching gears in season three way back then, that was a very wasted opportunity to do a proper wrap up.

12. Kim says:

I honestly did not like the cast and would have preferred they had ditched them after season one. I was dreading having to see them again, so I’m glad that they’re starting over with a new cast. I’m looking forward to this.

13. Melissa B. says:

Ugh. That’s all I can really say about this entire switch. Ugh.

14. Brandon Hernandez says:

This is the most stupidest idea in the world, The Brandon James Mythology WAS EVERYTHING and even if the Halloween Special didnt get as many fans as season 1….thats the moment you use the popular ideas while eliminating the setbacks …..but starting all of it over in one shot ? # sounds like you guys are giving up # Greatly dissapointed ,especially since theres so many unawnsered questions, and the whole post op surgical mask on the real killer himself was so Brilliant along with the creepy tale by the Lake , now we will not only only be able to see his face , but the whole welcome back mr james thing at the end of the Halloween special will forever be an unfinished project that could have possibly been a HUGE comeback if done correctly in season 3 # Why is it even called season at this point

15. Audrey Jensen LOVER says:

IM SO FREAKING MAD! SCREAM THE TV SERIES IS MY FAVORITE SHOW AND THE CAST WAS AWESOME ESPECIALLY BEX TAYLOR KLAUS AS AUDREY JENSEN! THE ORIGINAL SCREAM THE TV SERIES AUDIENCE IS NOT GONNA WANNA WATCH BECAUSE IT DOESNT HAVE THE ORIGINAL AWESOME CAST, STORYLINE, AND LOOK

16. Ronnie A. says:

Just like every other show, someone has a brilliant idea to change it after we get invested in the story. I’m not going to be surprised when season three tanks because a new cast and new story line is something diehard fans don’t want to deal with. God forbid that the audience is happy with what’s been done, let’s change it and make sure it sucks so badly that season four will most likely not happen. I will be there to comment, I told you! When this fails like I predicted.

17. Tonya Vanantwerp says:

I think it’s completely stupid and ignorant for them to reboot and they are gonna lose a lot of followers. They should have wrapped the first story up completely first at least.

18. Mark says:

Seriously? That Halloween special had nothing to do with the original story line except for the first few and the final few moments. I was okay with that, expecting to learn more about the questions of who was in the mask and who checked in at the end of the episode come season 3. Now they are dropping everything? Not happy at all.

19. John036 says:

hopefully they can get the original ghostface mask this time around, as the brandon james mask was far from frightening to me.
    hopefully we get biting dialogue (a staple of the scream franchise), movie references (another staple), chase scenes and those phone calls (TWO BIG STAPLES OF THE FRANCHISE).
    the first two seasons were giant missteps. they base a series off a series of slasher films and they is barely any slashing??? like what. and hopefully they get a better group of actors. sure there were some bright spots in the seasons 1/2 cast, but majority were lacking. severely.

20. Nikki says:

Why on earth would I want to invest in what is basically a new show when they’ve given us barely any closure to the previous one? The Halloween episode answered very little and just added to the questions. A very poor choice from MTV.

21. Phillip says:

Everybody is not up for a new cast for season 3 and I get it. However this is business and the ratings was not working for the network. I love all four films of scream and even though I believe this entire series should have been in Woodsboro it wasn’t. Maybe this third season will connect with the movies. Maybe we will see beyond scream 4. Who knows maybe we will see Sidney Prescott, Gale and Sheriff Dewey even if they are being played by another actor. I always believe a true scream tv show should finish what the movies started. That’s what I want. If they give us ghostface with the movie voice. then this new change will be worth it.

22. Rose Marie Rose says:

The fans lobbied for a third seadon with the original cast we loved: Bex Taylor-Klaus, John Katna, Carlson Young, ect. This move is a betrayal to them and to the fans. There was a lot more story to tell. I wish the original cast all the best.

23. Phoenix says:

I’m fine with them starting over with a new cast, season one was interesting and season two was ok, “Just ok” and the ratings reflected it, most of season two they were twisting in the wind, felt like they were just making it up as they went along, I will miss a couple of the characters but for the most part, I’d rather see them start over vs a shortened season with a story line that is basically sinking like the titanic. Hopefully Season 3 will come back fresh, new and revitalized, I’m sure any disgruntled fans of the first two season mad about the change will have a change of heart if the new cast and story is good, it would be even better if they could give it a tie to the original film.

24. OhioGuy TB says:

Dayumm… Emma’s got some legs.

25. I would love to see new cast & old cast in Season 3, when does Season 2 release on dvd to buy in stores?

26. Wynne Lurty says:

This is lame. I loved the cast and the story wasn’t finished. Why not demi-reboot with at least some of the old cast, set in the future or something? Sigh.

27. Derek says:

Liked the old cast, which took some getting used to. I am not a fan of rebooting any cast or series. This will be the long slow death of a once promising series.

28. CHRys says:

This is the dumbest idea ever, DO NOT CHANGE THE CHARACTERS

29. Debra R Scott says:

Hate it NO No No. Keep original cast. Do not be Stupid. I WILL NOt WATCH!!!!!!!!!