Arrow Olicity Spoilers

Arrow Manhunt Pits Team Arrow vs. Felicity: Reader Questions Answered!

The CW’s Arrow returns tonight at 8/7c with the first of Season 5’s final five episodes, kicking off with a manhunt that will pit Team Arrow against Felicity and her increasingly sketchy Helix pals.

When last we tuned in, Adrian Chase — having been publicly outed as Prometheus — whacked his WITSEC detail and drove off into the night. This week, as Oliver, A.R.G.U.S. and the cops launch an expansive search for the duplicitous and deadly D.A., Felicity will be tempted to avail herself of Helix’s considerable resources, though what they want in return (“something big, and illegal”) proves a steep price to pay.

“This is the episode where Felicity really finds out what Helix is up to, and who’s she’s gotten into bed with,” co-showrunner Wendy Mericle tells TVLine. “We’ve dropped a lot of hints throughout the season, and Oliver definitely has seen it coming, but everyone has been powerless to keep her from making these decisions.”

“Bent on revenge” and “still mourning the loss of Detective Malone,” Felicity will be forced to “think long and hard about the decisions that she made — and the moral consequences of those decisions.”

Adrian Chase, meanwhile, is not so much hiding as doing what he has done best, all… season… long. “He is always 10 steps ahead, despite the fact that the team got took a big chunk out of him in the previous episode,” Mericle warns. “He’s really good at this chess game, and like any grand master, he’s got a million contingency plans. He’s going to be making his moves regardless.”

Prior to speaking with Mericle, TVLine invited you via Twitter to email InsideLine@tvline.com with any burning Arrow Qs. Here are some of the ones we got answered:

What’s going to be discussed in Episode 20, “Underneath” (airing May 3)? –Athena
That episode entraps Oliver and Felicity in the Arrowcave, where the latter is “really upset” about what Oliver does this week. “Oliover truly cares about her, and doesn’t want her to go through what he’s gone through [once allying with Bratva],” Mericle notes. “But from where Felicity is sitting, that’s total hypocrisy, and she’s going to call him on that.” As the ex-lovers in turn revisit their Season 4 split, Felicity “is going to come out of this with a new understanding of who Oliver is. Everything that happens with Helix is going to force her to reframe everything that happened at Season 4, especially when she looks back at when she walked away.”

Will Felicity’s paralysis ever be revisited? Her plans for the chip? —Danyelle
“You’ll see bit of that in Episode 20,” Mericle says.

Is Oliver and Felicity’s honest, present-day conversation in Episode 20 going to reflect in their interactions from then on? —Menna
“It has to,” Mericle affirms. “She’s been through something now, and she sees him in a different light — and he also sees her in a different light. There’s a lot more mutual understanding, and even though I think it’s hard to top the mutual respect they already have for each other, that goes up as well.”

So far Prometheus has gone after every team member one way or another, except for Felicity. Are there any Chase/Felicity interactions you can tease? —Cynthy
“You will see that happen,” Mericle says, “towards the end of the year, absolutely.”

Will Helix be around possibly into Season 6? —Stephanie
“It’s a thread we leave dangling,” says Mericle.

I know Vigilante won’t be unmasked this season, but will we see him again this season? —Knight of Ren
“Maybe” is all Mericle would offer.

When Thea finally returns, will we she take the Speedy mantle again? —Jenny
“Not this season, no,” Mericle reports. “But she’ll be in the action, for sure.”

What can you tease about Oliver’s birthday party? —S. Rita
“We’ve never celebrated his birthday, though it was one of those ideas that we always talked about doing,” Mericle explains. “We celebrated Thea’s birthday in a very dark way in the past — she crashes a car and then gets under the influence, all kinds of things — but let’s just put it this way: [Oliver’s birthday party, in Episode 22] is a lull in the storm, and it’s a nice moment with the team.”

Want more scoop on Arrow, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Lizzie says:

I’m looking forward to this. I’m glad they’re treating Felicity as human who makes mistakes because she’s in a dark place. It’s understandable. I’m also really excited to see Olicity talk again. It’s beyond time. Finally!

And YES to Felicity and Chase interacting. It’s weird how they haven’t had a scene yet. It’s weird that she hasn’t been on his radar at all.

• Lizzie says:

Forgot to add, I’m not sure how Felicity is still mourning the loss of Malone when we haven’t seen any of that. I didn’t know she cared that much. She didn’t love him and couldn’t even call him her boyfriend. This show is so strange sometimes.

2. lurk says:

I’m very much looking forward to Oliver and Felicity having it out over her involvement with Helix and I love the parallels between her actions there and his with the Bratva, and with secret-keeping in general. I still question “mourning Detective Malone” as the primary motivation for her current actions. It is a classic example of this show’s need to tell me things, and not show me things. We barely saw her with this guy – but his death was the kicker? Uh… OK?
    Is Felicity doing questionable things? Absolutely! Does she want to take Chase down? Sure, and I can see many reasons why. But this idea that somehow, her primary reason is mourning for a character we barely saw and who looks, more and more, like her way to keep her feelings for Oliver at bay (if what we saw in the sizzle real is what I think it is)… I don’t buy it Tell me it’s for the team, for Oliver, for the city, for herself… sure. But for Malone?

Still really looking forward to tonight. I love it when Oliver and Felicity fight, and I love seeing the ramifications of the villain’s actions on the characters I care about.

• Liz says:

I’m choosing to believe it’s more an accumulation of things – her paralysis, the end of her relationship with Oliver and how he broke her trust, Havenrock – that’s sent her down this dark path. Maybe Malone dying was just the catalyst that broke whatever was building up because I’m sorry but we barely saw her with the guy and when we did she really wasn’t that invested in him. Wendy always sells something that just doesn’t happen on screen, it’s so odd.

3. datdudemurphy says:

With as little as Thea has been used this year, I hope she makes the leap over to Titans on that new DC service.

• lurk says:

The marginalization of Thea and Lance has really been the consistently worst thing in an otherwise watchable season.

4. Fantastic read! I am really looking forward to the final 5 episodes of the season!

5. Mike says:

I’m really not loving all these mentions lately about how Felicity will “reframe” her thoughts about season four, especially “when she looks back at when she walked away.” She walked away because Oliver lied to her (as Stephen Amell said “repeatedly and aggressively”). She had every right to leave, and she expressed very clearly why she did. If suddenly they retcon it to make it seem like she shouldn’t have, or that what Oliver did wasn’t so bad, I’m not going to be happy.

I don’t know why they can’t just leave that mess of a storyline alone. It’s sort of like what someone else mentioned in the comments here with the BIlly thing. It feels like the writers think some storylines or characters come across one way, and the audience sees it completely differently. “In mourning” is not how I’d describe her these last few eps, and she had plenty of motivation for going dark with losing her job, her paralysis, etc without them trying to force feelings about a character we barely knew.

• Liz says:

They were always gonna blame Felicity somehow, even though she had every right to walk away after Oliver lied about his kid for months. God forbid they acknowledge that they messed up big time with that baby mama storyline so they retcon that Felicity was wrong. It makes me so angry.

• Ray says:

I understand there are Olicity fans but I just don’t get it. The minority is winning out because the writers continue to write for themselves instead of the audience. The first couple of seasons this show was must see, now it feels like waiting for the Olicity shoe to drop is inevitable. It’s starting to be funny, Berlantiverse stomps all over the Green Arrow/Black Canary relationship on Arrow and pushes Barry/Iris together to quick (no pun intended) on The Flash. Barry has always been in love with Iris but had way more chemistry with Patty. I feel like I missed a seasons worth of episodes between friend zone to engagement. Talk about fastest man alive. (Pun totally intended)

• Lizzie says:

What do you mean the minority is winning out? How exactly do you know what’s the minority and what isn’t? Remember there’s a general audience out there that doesn’t belong to online fandom.

• lurk says:

Er, how do you know Oliver and Felicity fans are ‘the minority’?

• kath says:

I think the majority of viewers either want a romance or accept that their hero is in a romantic relationship as long as it stays in the background. On this show, that relationship is Oliver/Felicity because irrespective of what the Green Arrow/Black Canary relationship is in the comics (that currently sell less than 30,000 copies an issue), the Oliver(SA)/Laurel(KC) relationship was a huge drag on the show in season 1. The EPs have stated a number of times that the show found it’s place with the Oliver/Diggle/Felicity grouping.

I agree with you, I thought that Barry/Patty had the potential to be a really good relationship but for Andrew Kreisburg, who is show-running The Flash, female characters are just props for the guys’ stories. No matter how hard Candice Patton works, and she works very hard, Barry/Iris is never going to be an iconic TV relationship because of the writing. It was rushed because it’s not about the storytelling but about what Barry the character wants.

• Lex says:

Okay, don’t you understand that what you think is going on between Barry and Patty is EXACTLY the thing you’re so put out about? The Green Arrow/Black Canary didn’t happen because there was zero chemistry between the actors. According to you, Patty is Felicity in this scenario. The writers are *respecting* the canonical relationship between Barry and Iris, shouldn’t that make someone still whining about the GA/BC thing happy?

• Trish says:

I agree with this. I hope they’re not framing this as on Felicity to absolve Oliver of his actions. There’s no excuse for the lie and the double life he lived while trying to marry her.

6. Rita says:

It seems like they won’t give any clear resolution to a lot of storylines – not just Helix – plus the cliffhanger in the finale… With the writers strike coming, people will be even more frustrated. That being said, I’m looking forward to the last stretch of episodes, it’s been a while.

Thanks for asking my question.

7. A says:

Finally an episode of this season I’m actually interested in watching. Too bad it took this long.

8. Azerty says:

Urg, Speedy should be back to replace Wild Dog and Mister Terrific she is much more interesting.

9. Trish says:

So excited to finally get into Felicity’s arc more. Long overdue. Tuning in for it tonight. I hope there’s a lot of good Oliver, Diggle and Felicity moments.

10. Rendezvous says:

Well its been a long 5 years…but im kind of getting tired of this. If Olicity comes back I’m happy i can truly say i will be done with this show. Not sure what Guggenheim and Mericle are smoking but in what universe is it a good idea to put repetitive romance and love triangles in the forefront over well done fight choreography and a well written story. The show runners are their own worst enemies…

• lurk says:

Romance has been anything but at the forefront this season & the ratings are lower than they have ever been. So I’m not sure why you think it’s been ‘at the forefront’.

That beinb said… A well-written story, decent fight choreography, and romance can all coexist, they aren’t mutually exclusive.

It may come as a shock to you, but many people who like Oliver and Felicity can also appreciate a well-executed fight scene. They also like well-written stories, love or otherwise.

• L says:

I want romance and relationships and friendships on the show though. Great action isn’t what gets me tuning in week after week. I appreciate the great stunts but I also want more than that. If I don’t care about the characters and their relationships, I lose interest.

11. Foshoo says:

Looking forward to seeing Oliver and Felicity talk through their issues. Every great hero story is about the evolution of their humanity and Felicity is central to Oliver’s growth as a hero. Can’t wait!