the walking dead season 8 preview

The Walking Dead Season 8 Preview: Rick Is Prepared to 'Suffer Any Loss,' Even His Own Life, to Defeat Negan

The Walking Dead’s Negan isn’t going to know what hit him. Rick, having lost Glenn, Abraham, Sasha and more to the Saviors in the AMC hit’s seventh season, is entering Season 8 ready and willing to do whatever it takes — and to sacrifice whomever it takes — to vanquish them.

Michonne, Carl and Judith included, Alexandria’s embattled leader “will suffer any loss, even his own self,” showrunner Scott Gimple tells TVLine, “to give his people and other people the life that they should live, where the world belongs to all of them and not just one person. A real life.

“That’s the only choice,” he adds. “So he’s willing to face the losses.”

That’s not to say, of course, that Rick wouldn’t be affected, were any of his loved ones to be killed. Not at all. “It isn’t that he’s willing to shake them off if they were to occur, or immediately rationalize them away,” says Gimple, “but he understands the enormity of what they are doing and the enormity of the possible cost.”

What do you think? Any early predictions about Season 8 casualties?

1. Kevin Tran says:

Would be great to see a war between say TEAM RICK vs. TEAM NEGAN.

2. Wrstlgirl says:

It would be show suicide to kill off Maggie or her baby so I’d say they are safe. Everyone else is fair game. But I’m pretty sure they won’t kill off Rick or Carl.

• Pedro says:

Doesn’t the actor who plays Carls want out and is without a contract?

• Wrstlgirl says:

I know he wanted to cut back so he could attend college, he was in very few episodes last season. I don’t think he wants completely out but who knows.

• Bob says:

NO Not true, He wants to attend College but has stated that he has NOT decided on what College he would attend and as for TWD he stated he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

3. Snow says:

Check bait. I fell for it.
    TWD won’t return until October maybe later if the writers strike.
    The only thing this hyping will do is make me look for spoilers.
    Thanks a lot Gimple!!!!

4. Rick has been pushed to the point before and that always means someone’s gonna pay and that someone is Negan!

5. Wordsmith says:

Just as long as they don’t kill the tiger.
    (Though realistically, she would have been shot like 500 times the second that she appeared on that battlefield. I mean, come on – if you’re being charged by a man with a gun and a freaking tiger, you instinctively shoot the tiger first, right?)

• Joanne Gilkey says:

Unfortunately Negan gets the tiger in the comics and Ezekiel bites it not long after so i wouldn’t get to attached to it. But you can replace that with the love for the eventual Rick & Negan team up to survive thru the Whisperer war. Oops sry if i said something you didn’t wanna know. Lol

• Laura M says:

Please tell me he doesn’t use Lucille on Shiva?!

• MelodyAZ says:

No Shiva dies heroically in the comics and is NOT Lucilled. :) Have a feeling the Tiger may not die on the show though. Peta has been after them for the other animals.

• AceHall says:

This is supposed to be a fun board where people can post “what ifs” and “I thinks” based on their knowledge of what has happened on the television show. It is not supposed to be a “spoiler board” where a self-professed expert of the printed materials can log on to post every spoiler there is.

Does it make you feel superior to ruin everyone else’s enjoyment of the show, knowing how everything turns out everywhere else, and quite possibly on the show, too? Does it make you feel like the “big man on campus” to swing your giant balls around to claim this board as your own spoiler central? If you had any self-esteem, any honor or any shame, you would be mortified by your own behavior. But clearly, that is not a problem for you. There are no pesky human emotions to get in the way of your personal enjoyment as you lay waste to everyone else’s fun and “educated guesses,” replaced instead with your own “Ooh, ooh! I know this one! In fact, I know ALL of them as I am a one-woman wrecking ball who has read EVERYTHING that there is to know about The Walking Dead, so that I may ruin EVERYTHING for everyone else!”

Now, why don’t you go inform some orphans that there is no Santa Claus, pull the wings off of flies, and tell some military wives that their husbands are not coming home from the Middle East. That should give you a bit more pleasure when the fun runs out here. At least until you find another board to ruin.

Now, run along. I am certain there are many other TWD boards you can ruin with your superior knowledge. Oh, and don’t forget to rub their noses in the fact that you are so much smarter than them. They will appreciate that! Everyone LOVES a know-it-all.

• JNelly B says:

And in real life its food for days!!! Just saying.

6. I think I do not like has a who is the leader of the scavinger’s as the nerve to ask michonne to allow her to sleep with Rick I was so mad, i said to myself that is not happening, i do not like the fact that they betrayed them to the saviour like that. I hope that Michonne and Rick and Carl and the rest of the crew banned together stay together all through season 8.

7. the cell Morgan labored to build will play into Negans capture and future

8. Cynthia Cary says:

I would hate to see anymore of the group die, especially Rick, Darryl, Maggie, Michonne or Morgan die. I probably wouldn’t watch it again.

9. Jimmy says:

There will likely be a few big casualties from the war, but I highly doubt Rick or Carl will be one of them. Michonne might be killed off in a heroic badass moment, as she deserves because of how awesome she is, but I would hate to see that. Especially since she has much more story following the war. It would be terrible to kill off Maggie and her baby, and she also becomes a vital character after the war over at the Hilltop, so I think they are safe.

The wildcards for me are Daryl, Carol and Morgan. Daryl isn’t in the books so they can theoretically do anything with him. His blood thirst for Dwight might be the thing that does him in, but he’s such a fan-favourite that I don’t see the show killing him off. Especially since Glenn and Abraham, Rick’s other two right-hand men, are gone.

Robert Kirkman said he would never kill Carol off, so I don’t see that happening either. She’s probably the show’s best and most developed character, and I don’t see the show killing her off after the journey she’s been on. Add on to that her growing friendship with Ezekiel (that might turn in to more, since they are both quite fond of each other).

Morgan is the most likely candidate IMO. He’s far outlived his comic counterpart, and he’s gone off the deep end after Ben’s death, which has reverted him back to his kill everything mentality that he had in Season 3. I love Morgan and would hate for him to die, but given his current path, I think it’s very possible.

As for Eugene, Rosita, Tara, Gabriel, etc. any one of them could die and I wouldn’t really care. I would like to see Eugene go out in a blaze of glory trying to make up for his cowardliness, so we’ll see if that happens. And Rosita needs to pipe down on the suicide missions because that was aggravating. Tara, Gabriel and the rest are all filler characters that are basically redshirts we’re supposed to care about because they’ve been around for a while.

Final thought, it will be interesting to see what they do with Negan in the show. In the comics they keep him alive, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan might want to move on from the show after what is likely to be another full season with him on board, leading to Negan’s death. I think they should keep him alive because he becomes arguably a more interesting character when the war is over.

10. Mark says:

For me the story ends with Rick

11. Berny says:

Eugene. If Rick would have used his genius the way Negan has (bombs, the fence, etc…) they would have never had any of their misery!

12. Profan1ty says:

Kill off Rick and the show is dead as far as I’m concerned and everyone I know who watches the show.
    Season 7 suffered badly after killing off Glen and Abraham. They introduced uninteresting characters turned Rick Daryl and Carol into bit part characters and banished any real gore! Boring.

13. Laura M says:

If they starts losing many more main characters, I don’t think that would be a good move for the show. I love TWD and always have….every season. But I miss the group and the challenges they faced together. It’s not realistic to think the group can always stay together, but I seriously hope that don’t kill off many more.

• I totally agree and just like you, I have always loved every season of TWD. I feel that the Writers need to start getting more creative with new challenges the group of characters that we know and love can once again face together. But then again, I’m sure that there’s a method to their madness, because there’s always a twist. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

14. Fred says:

If you ever take Rick or Marshone off the show I will never watch it again !!!!!!!!!

15. mrmcgee says:

There’s seriously a Walking Dead article every other day even though the next season doesn’t start for six months, lol. Drink every time someone with the show days this season is going to be “intense.”

16. Derek says:

The Walking Dead has become something of a soap opera with zombies. I am not a fan of having to endure myriad lame episodes that lead up to a lackluster season finale. This past season was the worst.

17. I actually don’t want to see Negan die. I just want to see him beaten into total submission. But only after Jadis betrays Negan too (and you know she will) and he takes her down.

18. Robin Ellison Harper says:

He better not die!

19. Veronica says:

I think there going to capture neegan,Dwight’s gnna be the new leader for neegans people or maybe be free n find his wife and Alexandria will prosper,Maggie will be incharge of the hill top.Jesus will find friends n maybe a love life.Maggie will have her baby n date that Asian tall Guy that fought behind her in season seven.tall long hair handsome guy.rick,Carl,the baby and michone will be a family at peace,the kingdom will prosper together as Alexandria but all will go well until someone starts to get envious n hates ricks rules and frees neegan and all hells breaks loose again.

• Courtney says:

I don’t like the idea of Maggie dating anyone else. Because Glenn was irreplaceable and I feel like she doesn’t want anything to be better than what they had

20. Carolyn Swanson says:

I hope I’m commenting on The Walking Dead, up coming season 8, I feel the ratings will drop tremendously if something happened to Rick, Michonne, or Daryl,even Carol, and Maggie, and King Ezekiel they are the ones who make the show. Get rid of Rosita, I hate her, and the garbage junk queen, they got to go. And let the Oceanside Woman join Rick’s family along with with the Hillside, and King Ezekiel. Thanks for listening

• Melvin Euro says:

whoo.. I love, Rosita, she’s cute but makes dumb decisions
      just finished watching it..TWD makes one feel a real one should happen
      Though I didn’t understand whose side Dwight is on

21. I feel the ratings would drop tremendously if something happened to Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Carol. Rosita got to go and garbage junk queen

22. Lillian Trevino says:

I would like to see Season 8 all full of Action and not a boring. Story about how much this one was taught to love.

23. Gareth Mitchell says:

Meh. People reading too much into stuff once again.

24. Kay Baxter says:

I will watch it until Negan dies, after that I will stop watching. I want to see him get his just deserts for killing Glenn and Abraham. I know Glenn died in the comics but I’m sorry as far as I’m concerned he was irreplaceable.

25. Tony says:

The junkyard people need to go! Worst group of idiots ever. It was a good twist with them but no more please.

26. Leah Soper says:

Nope…you can’t threaten to stop watching if your favorite character dies. It’s pre-enacting the comic book (per se) and only a few survive in the end. It’s time for Rick to go, Maggie isn’t even showing, did she lose the baby? My prediction for the end….Judith and baby Glen

• Emma says:

Rick is still alive in the comics, it’s not even close to the time Rick is supposed to die.
      It just seems like he holds the group together, he is the main, main character and I don’t think he should die yet.

27. Claire says:

I would be absolutely crushed if and when Rick is killed off for me the show would lose that hugh peice that gels everything together.

28. Sharon says:

I cannot imagine this show without Rick. If he dies then I don’t know if I can watch any longer! Love the cast but he’s the deal breaker. And, please don’t take beautiful Shiva!!!

29. Danny says:

If they kill Rick or Daryl I’m gone! Sorry to say but true! Only 2 peps i watch show for

30. Kim says:

I know its the nature of the show, but I still can’t quite get over losing such beloved characters as Abraham and Glenn. It’s just not the same.

31. Gagan Singh says:

hi
    I m a big fan of Rick nd Daryl
    Pls Pls Pls….. Turn ur storyline if it says that Rick will b dead. I couldn’t imagine TWD without Rick. Me nd my family from New Delhi India, we all r a big fan of Rick,RickGrimes. Pls let him live coz he is the only one who only can thing for his community nd his people before his own kids.

32. Emma says:

If Rick dies, I’m going to stop watching.
    I don’t care if anyone else dies, but Rick is the leader and I can’t see anyone else replacing him.

33. Rick is incompetent as a military leader, to allow people whom you don’t know in strategic placements in a armed conflict is beyond stupid!

34. Kirsten says:

If Rick dies, the series is over.

35. david logston says:

Rick is the main actor of the show, Rick is the leader with out rick the show would end

36. ANGELA MCKEE says:

Killing Rick will finish off The Walking Dead. The ratings are already low, you don’t kill off the main character when the ratings are already hurting.

• Seddie says:

It’s still the #1 rated show with 18 to 49 years old. Which is the main demigraphic that advitiserers want .

37. Anna says:

Shiva is the most major death in all out war in the comic, Eric and Kal are killed too. Oh, and Heath is crippled.

38. Dr debaser says:

Great if something would happen to stop the nosedive to total boredom. Negan was great concept but strung out waaaay to long

39. Shelly Messinger says:

Negan and his rite hand men should be killed off not rick,darryl,carol or ricks gf or his son not even maggie and her baby..just negan side would be great that they get killed off

40. Trevor says:

It wouldn’t make sense. In the first issue of the comic it’s said that The Walking Dead is a story of Rick’s life after the zombie apocalypse. So he can’t die unless they are intending next season to be the end of the series. There is no series without Rick.

41. Kel says:

Eugene should be next to die trator and the bird with the bad haircut and can’t talk properly who wants to lay with rick kill them all as can’t be trusted again..think Maggie should be showing by now? also think maggies Going to be the one to kill negan with lucile.. hope the new seasons not as frustrating as the last. kill negan then get on with killing zombies again..can’t see how much longer the show can go on for what other story lines can there be? How many zombies are left?

42. Alley Frazer says:

I adore Rick and if he dies we RIOT

43. A whole lot of human drama and not enough zombie action. Not happy with the direction the writers have taken. Just kill everyone and save us the divisiveness and picking off of characters. It’s not entertaining anymore.

44. Susan White says:

If Rick dies the Walking Dead is over!!! Negan has to go.

45. John says:

Would like to see Eugene turn evil and kill Negan because Negan failed to kill Rick. Then have Eugene take over as leader of the Saviors and trick Rick and Carl into meeting with him. Eugene then kills Rick while Carl escapes. We then time jump 10 years and with a new actor playing Carl he seeks revenge against Eugene!

46. Shay says:

When is season 8 suppose to begin? Any word yet?

47. Sue barlass says:

If you think ratings are slow now! Kill Rick and see what happens

48. Chad Morphis says:

If Rick, Carl, Darryl, Carol or Michonne dies that might be the end of it for me. They are the center of the show and it would suck without them. Carl may be the youngest but he has bigger cajones than a lot of the others. Eugene is a whiny 3 year old who needs to go! He’s so concerned about looking smart that he lets everything pass by, and he’s a wuss. Morgan needs to get back with the original crew and get ready to kick some butt. Personally I’d like too find out Negan’s past.

49. Jody Vandellen says: